Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom
Sorry, I stuttered.

Monogatari Series: Second Season is the next in the -Monogatari anime series based on the light novels written by Nisio Isin (or NisiOisiN as he writes his pen name). The Monogatari series is the story of Araragi Koyomi, an ex-vampire, and other people he encounters who are possesed with similar aberrations. It is heavily focused on clever dialogues with an interesting avand-garde visual style. The series has spanned 16! light novels so far, but the anime has only covered 5 volumes worth of work.

This handy chart can summarize what has been show already, and what we can expect to see out of this season.

The current season is set to span the story lines Tsubasa Tiger, Mayoi Jiangshi, Nadeko Madusa, Shinobu Time, and Hitagi End. It was originally announced to cover the story line Suraga Devil as well, however it was just announced (7/05) that Suraga Devil has been pulled from this season andwill be made into a mini series later, similar to Nekomonogatari: Black.

I'm new to the series, can I jump in here?
This gets asked a lot on other forums, and the answer is a resounding NO! The Monogatari series, with few exceptions, is very unfriendly to jumping into the series mid-way and trying to make any sense of it. Although it's possible to watch the series in chronological order (Kizu(HA)->Neko:Black->Bake->Nise) it's generally considered a better idea to watch it in broadcast order (Bake->Kizu(HA!!!!)->Nise->Neko:Black)

One thing to note for those of you hopping into the series, is that Bekomonogatari was originally a 15 episode series, but only 12 were shown on TV. The last 3 were streamed online. As such, some websites will seperate them from the 'main series' and list them as 'special episodes' or 'OVAs' to Bake. Be sure you watch all of them, as the final plot line of Bake will be cut in half if you miss them!

The first twelve episodes of Bakemonogatari can be found free on Hulu here: http://www.hulu.com/bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari, in its entirety, is found here: http://www.hulu.com/nisemonogatari

Kizumonogatari? (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA)
Kizumonogatari follows the story line Koyomi Vamp, which explains how our daring hero first met Tsubasa Hanekawa, and how a brief glimpse of her panties nearly led to him become the second strongest vampire lord in the world. It was originally supposed to made into a feature film by SHAFT in 2012. It was pushed back to early 2013....and now late 2013. Many of us question how much is done at this point, but we can hold out hope to see the original 'Gatari animated in full movie glory.

If waiting for this movie is too much for you, a fan translation of Kizumonogatari has been completed on this website: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Bakemonogatari. I can't attest to its quality as I haven't read it myself, but there it is. There has been no announced plans to bring the light novels to the United States, so I don't think this qualifies as :filez:.

Where can I watch it?
Monogatari is being streamed out of two sources this season. First, the series will be simulcast from daisuke.net, the series page is located here.
For those of you who are CrunchyRoll fans, you can start watching the anime here......starting August 6th. http://www.crunchyroll.com/monogatari

Memes! (let's just get them out of the way)

appletonoutcast fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Message me when Catgirl arc is over so I can just binge watch through those episodes. She is my least favorite character and I am kind of disappointed the first arc is going to be more of her. I was also disappointed when I found out there will be no Monkey arc.

Just give me more episodes with Ararararrararagi and Senjougahara talking on a playground.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bake and Nise are available on Hulu as well so you should mention that in the OP.

First episode of the new season was a bit of a letdown I guess? Considering how Nekomonogatari was all about Hanekawa I wasn't exactly clamoring for a third arc about her when everyone else has only had their intro arc. The direction also felt like Shinbo was just running on cruise control. I guess it's nice to see how the cast acts when Araragi isn't around but at the same time I miss him already; he just has a great rapport going on with every character in the show.

Also seconding the disappoint about Kanbaru's arc not making it into the second season. She's the best character and it's terrible that we're gonna have to wait a long time for another story about her. Hopefully she'll get some screen time though; the few scenes with her in Nise were hilarious.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Neko (Black) and Neko (White) are supposed to be two halves of the same story. Obviously. You'll note that her problems have never actually been resolved in any of her arcs, she just keeps getting weakened by a vampire until she's no longer a threat.

I do agree though that the episode feels a bit weak as the start of a new season.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I'm liking the development so far, Hanekawa isn't my most favorite character, but seeing as how she doesn't actually deal with her problems I sort like how things are getting worse for her.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Srice posted:

Bake and Nise are available on Hulu as well so you should mention that in the OP.

Added, but unfortunately Bake falls into the trap I mentioned, that it only carries 12/15 episodes. Crunchy Roll is the same way. :saddowns:

From all sources I've heard, Neko (White) builds upon Tsubasa's character immensely. I've seen many people say they completely changed their minds about their opinion of her after reading this story line. I'm itching to see for myself, personally.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

There is a distinct shortage of headtilt pics in the OP.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

There is a distinct shortage of headtilt pics in the OP.

Getting it out of the way now

No, Menma isn't Shaft, it's a joke I guess

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
You forgot the best one.

About the show itself, I wish the characters had something to talk about in Araragi's absence that wasn't just Araragi himself. But then again I want him to come back too, so I'd probably be guilty of that too. At least there's a developing friendship between them without Araragi involved which is a good thing.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had suspected for the first season or so if Shaft/Shinbo was dumping fanservice into the show ironically, but Nise had enough packed in that I don't think that excuse really flies anymore, even if a lot was straight from the original novels.

Even so, I still think this is one of the best directed series I've ever seen and the writing's pretty good (most of the time) as well. Enough for me to let its faults pass.

I've been putting off watching Neko:Black since everyone says the events of Kizu make it better and I believed they might get the anime out eventually, but if they're going to go right on into another season I guess I have no choice but to read it in LN form.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
As an aside, I liked Hanekawa a lot more after reading Kizumonogatari. You're missing out if you haven't.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
I really enjoyed this episode. They skipped the bullshit in the first part and got right to setting up the plot. Looks like this takes place at the same time and Araragi and Hajikuji having their little adventure. I'm loving the interactions and relationship between Senjougahara and Hanekawa. Senjougahara is really showing a side of herself that she hasn't shown before. I'm surprised about how little of the shower scene they show. Hopefully the "fanservice" knob is turned down after Nise.

i300 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 7, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Most realistic depiction of a roomba I've ever seen in any form of media.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 7, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The OP: that's a Tsukiyomi reference, right? So are SHAFT/Shinbou referencing that just because Tsukiyomi was another SHAFT/Shinbou show, or are they referencing it because they're trying to draw some sort of equivalence between the characters of Hanekawa and Hazuki?

Show is going hard fanservice right from the off, it appears. Oh, it's down from Nise (just about), but if you go and compare this episode with the first episode of Bake it's like night and day. Sad, but I guess it's just something you have to deal with with this series. :sigh:

Oh, and of all the possible way to handle the (LN spoilers) losing time/chapters thing, that was probably the least imaginative. :(

HoneyBoy posted:

About the show itself, I wish the characters had something to talk about in Araragi's absence that wasn't just Araragi himself. But then again I want him to come back too, so I'd probably be guilty of that too. At least there's a developing friendship between them without Araragi involved which is a good thing.

Well, this entire arc is about Hanekawa and Senjougahara's relationship, and Hanekawa learning to overcome her problems without Araragi's help. So. There is a non-zero probability that this show will one day pass the Bechdel test.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Show is going hard fanservice right from the off, it appears. Oh, it's down from Nise (just about), but if you go and compare this episode with the first episode of Bake it's like night and day. Sad, but I guess it's just something you have to deal with with this series. :sigh:

Shouldn't you compare it to the second episode? Which as I recall was mostly Senjougahara in her underwear. This whole scene actually felt like a callback to that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Clarste posted:

Shouldn't you compare it to the second episode? Which as I recall was mostly Senjougahara in her underwear. This whole scene actually felt like a callback to that.

It's about six minutes of nekkid Senjougahara out of twenty-five, yes, though that is pretty much all of the fanservice in the episode. Here, it kicks off with Mayoi and just doesn't stop.

But uh, I think I probably shouldn't have brought it up. :can:

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Hopefully this series will be less creepy and feature much less sexual assault/harassment against underage girls.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sindai posted:

As an aside, I liked Hanekawa a lot more after reading Kizumonogatari. You're missing out if you haven't.
I think we're supposed to have read it for much of these arcs to make sense in the first place.

I can't wait to see it! :downs:

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Nate RFB posted:

I think we're supposed to have read it for much of these arcs to make sense in the first place.

This, I think, is what most Hanekawa haters really need to keep in mind. We're missing an entire piece of the story, one that I think most would argue is the most important storyline of the show. I'm personally going to be muscling through the translated LN pretty soon here, as I feel that it's perspective just has to be needed to understand this arc better.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Kizumonogatari really did make me like Hanekawa much more. I broke down and read it sometime last December and now waiting for the film is harder than ever.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the problem I have with that is that I find most fan-translated light novels to be rather clunky and just awkward to read. Plus a big part of why I like the series is the voices and Shaft's quirky art direction.

I guess whenever the Kizumonogatari movie is finally done I can watch that and then rewatch the Hanekawa arcs to see if it changes my mind about her.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Most realistic depiction of a roomba I've ever seen in any form of media.

It's close, but the newer models don't bump into the wall that hard anymore, that only happened with the 400 series and prior from 4 years ago. :eng101:

Source: me owning a 400 series just prior to the 500 being released

i300
Dec 30, 2012

Popehoist posted:

Hopefully this series will be less creepy and feature much less sexual assault/harassment against underage girls.

Araragi's sexual assult on Hajikuji was more of a strange joke than actual sexual harrasment.

As for the fanservice, I think it's something we're just going to have to deal with, like in Nise. Hopefully it won't get as bad as the teeth brushing scene. That was just off the charts creepy.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
That poor Roomba.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hope the ED is another one of those cases where they'll update it later on, because they really mailed it in for it.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Oh great, there are "white scenes" now! What are you trying to do to me, Shinbo?!

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

appletonoutcast posted:

Sorry, I stuttered.
From Genshiken.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Amstrad posted:

From Genshiken.

I believe at some point she also dresses up as Shinobu while is the club room. If you're going to sit quietly in a corner you might as well do it character.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Popo posted:

I believe at some point she also dresses up as Shinobu while is the club room. If you're going to sit quietly in a corner you might as well do it character.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Broke down and actually watched the first episode of this season, and all I have to say is RIP Roomba-kun.

Seeing the story from other characters points of view, and not just Ararararararagi's is kind of interesting too.

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 14, 2014

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

coreycoryecorey posted:

Broke down and actually watched the first episode of this season, and all I have to say is RIP Roomba-kun.

Also Senjougahara's freakout on Hanekawa was really weird and out of character. I guess that is what that missing chapter is about?

Seeing the story from other characters points of view, and not just Ararararararagi's is kind of interesting too.

It's been too long since I read the books, but I think the resolution of Senjougahara's issues with Kaiki in the last part of Nisemon means that she can finally become a normal human being with proper emotions and so on. This is a display of that.

That said, it took me by surprise the way it was presented, and I don't remember feeling so ??? when reading it. I guess they removed the explanation.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

darkgray posted:

It's been too long since I read the books, but I think the resolution of Senjougahara's issues with Kaiki in the last part of Nisemon means that she can finally become a normal human being with proper emotions and so on. This is a display of that.

That said, it took me by surprise the way it was presented, and I don't remember feeling so ??? when reading it. I guess they removed the explanation.

I can't really remember either, but I think in the books it relied a lot more on how she spoke, which doesn't come across in the translation too well. In the anime they can go batshit with expressions and gestures.

I wish it wasn't quite so extreme, to be honest; it feels a bit like someone's taken Senjougahara and replaced her with a pod person.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Autonomous Monster posted:

I can't really remember either, but I think in the books it relied a lot more on how she spoke, which doesn't come across in the translation too well. In the anime they can go batshit with expressions and gestures.

I wish it wasn't quite so extreme, to be honest; it feels a bit like someone's taken Senjougahara and replaced her with a pod person.

It turns out there was actually an explanation about this that was supposed to occur during Tsukihi Phoenix, but was apparently cut from the anime. Here's a link and a brief summary.

http://cetranslation.blogspot.com/2012/03/nisemonogatari-snippet-of-chapter-005.html

quote:

To put it simply, Senjougahara Hitagi has turned dere.

Completely dere.

To the point where even Karen can't match up to her in terms of dere.

It is really problematic for that Senjougahara Hitagi to continue being my home tutor. So after many discussions with Hanekawa, we've decided to allow Senjougahara to take a break till the Obon festival (so Senjougahara's currently visiting her hometown with her father). From that point alone, I think it's easy for people to imagine just how dere she is.

Even for the Kanbaru who sees Senjougahara as a goddess and views her positively despite her cruel and vicious words, she's a little averse towards the current Senjougahara. That's the incredible state of Senjougahara's dere right now.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
But Senjougahara's whole thing that she used to be a kuudere pod person and now is actually feeling proper responses to stimulus. If anything, they replaced the pod person.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

appletonoutcast posted:

It turns out there was actually an explanation about this that was supposed to occur during Tsukihi Phoenix, but was apparently cut from the anime. Here's a link and a brief summary.

http://cetranslation.blogspot.com/2012/03/nisemonogatari-snippet-of-chapter-005.html

I just read that, and if we were supposed to infer all of that from the scene in the first episode of this season; then I am not smart enough to watch this show.

Unless they are going to have Araragi give that big monologue sometime during this season, omitting all of that seems like a huge mistake. It basically gives us more explanation and gives a deeper look into all the changes each of the girls have gone through, specifically Senjougahara.

Maybe SHAFT could have shortened the bathub scene in Nise to include this huge monologue about character growth, but sadly that probably would not have sold so many DVDs and Blu-Rays. Then again, maybe I'm watching this anime for the wrong reasons :iiam:

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 8, 2013

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

coreycoryecorey posted:

I just read that, and if we were supposed to infer all of that from the scene in the first episode of this season; then I am not smart enough to watch this show.

Unless they are going to have Araragi give that big monologue sometime during this season, omitting all of that seems like a huge mistake. It basically gives us more explanation and gives a deeper look into all the changes each of the girls have gone through, specifically Senjougahara.

Maybe SHAFT could have shortened the bathub scene in Nise to include this huge monologue about character growth, but sadly that probably would not have sold so many DVDs and Blu-Rays. Then again, maybe I'm watching this anime for the wrong reasons :iiam:

If I remember correctly, there was a brief bit after the Keiki encounter at the end of Karen Bee, where Araragi muses about Senjougahara finally being able to let go of all the pain and misery from that time in her life and move on. But they didn't touch about the personality changes (I believe). I'm at work, so I can't check my copies of Nise to see if I'm right or just making stuff up.

Zassiliss
May 31, 2011

the cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
What are you guys even talking about, she already cut her hair. What more obvious character development do you need

i300
Dec 30, 2012

I think they'll have room to include Araragi's monologue later in the season. I think he'll mention it as he texts Hanekawa and Senjougahara, which I think we'll get to see at some point. It seems like a really important thing to include at some point. Even though the anime does put a lot of focus onto the fanservice, the story is actually interesting and it seems the staff do care about making the anime pretty accurate to the books (I've not actually read any of the books, though). If they don't include it, I believe they'll showcase the specific ways that Senjougahara has changed in some other way. I don't think we can just infer all of that from her clothing. It seems that this arc is going to be way more about Senjougahara and Hanekawa than just Hanekawa herself.

i300 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 9, 2013

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

appletonoutcast posted:

Ugh, that part of the chapter made me realized why I love this series so much. Character development and relationship aiding that sort of development. It helps that Araragi can overanalyze this sort of character development with his understanding.

But that snippet is pretty crucial to understanding how much emotion and care Senjougahara has for Hanekawa in this episode. I appreciate her more after reading that because her tsun humor has evolved to this crude humor that puts Hanekawa into awkward situations. I would love to see Senjougahara's interactions with Araragi more considering her change after conquering her psychological problem.

Pistol Packin Poet fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
Loved the first episode, I think the show is as good as ever - although it's a little more repetitive & less exciting now that new character introductions are long gone, but the dialogues are still clever and the architecture is super nice to look at, even with the reduced animation budget when compared to the first season.

• Locked thread