Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

invision posted:

Apparently this thing flys. "Like a turd" said one of the old guys, but hey.

I have a Proctor Enterprises kit of the DR-I that I will finish someday. It came with blueprints, and flying instructions. If built right, Proctor says, it will fly like the original, which was inherently unstable due to the huge wing area and the short moment between the wing & the tail. This instability, in the hands of a talented (and possibly insane) pilot, meant that the DR-I could execute 180-degree turns and loops with little notice and within extremely small boxes. It was loved and feared by pilot and quarry alike.

It also meant that the plane has to be flown with forward pressure on the stick al all times, as it constantly wants to pitch up (see any film or photo of a DR-I, restored or replica, in level flight). To land it requires it to be flown all the way to the runway - forget about flaring. So yeah, unforgiving, requiring constant attention, almost impossible to stay ahead of the aircraft. That assessment seems spot-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

invision posted:

So, in Vancouver, WA there was an air museum called Pearson Air Museum. It was privately owned by a trust or something, and had some cool planes in it. The National Park Service apparently took it over at the beginning of the year, and the old people took their toys and went home, leaving it with basically nothing but the following:

Talking to one of the people that used to run the thing before it was taken over, he said "Well, they wanted an air museum... and that's just what they got. A museum filled with nothing but air."

So, the other day I saw a flyer for a thing at the airport where the museum is located. I swear I thought it said "sit inside a T-38!" and I was beyond excited to get in one. Well, turns out it was a T-28, but I'm not complaining. Here are the pics I got from that:

I used to live in Vantucky and remember the DC-3 parked out front. I heard it went down to Aurora with the DC-3 they have there?

Too bad about the decline; maybe they can arrange a plane-share program with the Evergreen museum?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I was making a joke that riding on the MD-80/DC-9 series is "going there on a towering pillar of smoke and noise" compared to more modern airplanes with higher-bypass engines.

The MD-90 uses high-bypass IAE VG2500s so I was merely correcting your joke to actually make sense.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've stumbled across three books lately that have been blowing my mind: Luftwaffe Secret Projects: Fighters, Ground Attack and Special Purpose Aircraft, and Strategic Bombers 1939-1945. The effect is like picking up one of those 'aircraft of the world' books (that I used to read as a kid) except from some weird alternate dimension near ours. Some projects are just variants on aircraft that existed, others are shadows of things to come later, and some projects are just...strange.

I'll let you guess which is which

I've been reading a fair bit from the strategic bomber book because of my interest in the Fw 200 and the Ju 290, and a fair bit of the projects covered are more insubstantial than most paper projects, because the Reich Air Ministry (RLM) essentially hated all strategic bomber projects. In pre-war Nazi Germany, it was apparently doctrine that no war would last a long time; wars would be short and intense. Finding fuel for a strategic bomber fleet was also essentially beyond the ability of the Third Reich once trade with the USSR stopped. And of course, in the battle of strategic bomber proponents vs tactical bombers supporters, the tactical bomber guys won overwhelmingly, to the point the one real heavy bomber project was sabotaged by Luftwaffe officials who insisted it be as fast as a fighter and be able to dive bomb. Despite all this, the various aircraft makers were always dreaming up new designs for strategic long range aircraft and submitting them, essentially because the aircraft makers believed the designs were of critical importance. (Or a really fat defense contract, take your pick.)

When the RLM shot down proposals for more conventional modified airliner-bombers to replace the Fw 200, Focke-Wulf dreamed up the Fw 261. It had the abilities of a B-29, save it's range, which was much greater. Below is another proposal to replace the Condor: the Junkers EF 100. Like the Condor it started off as an airliner for Lufthansa, and then was modified for the Naval bomber/recon role. Work stopped on it in 1941 - only to be taken up again in 1942, only to be abandoned again when the Ju 290 had flown.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A sick part of me wishes Nazi Germany survived long enough* to get more of those utterly bizzaro proposals off the drawing board. Especially Blohm und Voss alternative universe contraptions.

*Completely ignoring that whole holocaust, cost of lives in fighting, etc thing.

In other news, I was going through some boxes of books that my uncle gave me from his downsizing and the dude had TONS of WW2 books, most of them written in the 50s to 70s, and a few even period during the war. He has Gallands book in there too.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Ahhhh... WWII books from the 50's, where every tank that's boxy is labeled as a tiger, and all bubble canopy planes are P-51s.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

How is this possibly a good idea? Any time you tried to turn you'd be flung about.

Looks cool, though.

slidebite posted:

A sick part of me wishes Nazi Germany survived long enough* to get more of those utterly bizzaro proposals off the drawing board. Especially Blohm und Voss alternative universe contraptions.

*Completely ignoring that whole holocaust, cost of lives in fighting, etc thing.

Ah yes, the "drat that's some cool poo poo, pity about the evil" disclaimer I always have to add whenever I talk about some of the incredible things the Nazis* were thinking up.

*Evil, evil, evil!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
I'm surprised http://www.luft46.com/ hasn't been posted more.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Gorilla Salad posted:

How is this possibly a good idea? Any time you tried to turn you'd be flung about.

Looks cool, though.
That's a rather par for the course in the world of Blohm-Voss. Check out that Luft46 link pasted earlier, you'll see some real odd ducks in there.

quote:

Ah yes, the "drat that's some cool poo poo, pity about the evil" disclaimer I always have to add whenever I talk about some of the incredible things the Nazis* were thinking up.
evil, evil, evil!
Not sure if you're trolling or not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Blistex posted:

Ahhhh... WWII books from the 50's, where every tank that's boxy is labeled as a tiger, and all bubble canopy planes are P-51s.

My son does that.

Every tank is now a Tiger tank. Panzer Mk3? Tiger. Panther? Tiger. Sherman? Tiger.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My home airline, SAS, is retiring their MD-80s, and recently had their last flight. The newspapers are waxing poetic about the "Cadillac of the Skies" and the "Beloved Workhorse." Personally I'm not going to miss the noisy bastards, and I'm sure the improved fuel efficiency of the replacement A320s will slightly lower the billions my government will have to infuse SAS with to keep it afloat over the coming years.

Pics of the Scandinavian Mad Dog's last flight here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Mad dogs own. On the inside they are so much quieter than the A320 up front.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Mad dogs own. On the inside they are so much quieter than the A320 up front.

everyone who likes mad dogs raise your hand

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
We had a B-25 flyover at the game here this weekend. They were doing practice runs on Friday all over town and it was awesome hearing it fly 1000 feet over.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bolind posted:

My home airline, SAS, is retiring their MD-80s, and recently had their last flight. The newspapers are waxing poetic about the "Cadillac of the Skies" and the "Beloved Workhorse." Personally I'm not going to miss the noisy bastards, and I'm sure the improved fuel efficiency of the replacement A320s will slightly lower the billions my government will have to infuse SAS with to keep it afloat over the coming years.

Pics of the Scandinavian Mad Dog's last flight here.

If you ever get nostalgic delta will probably have the same planes operating out of ATL next week.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gorilla Salad posted:

Looks cool, though.

It was going to be a dive bomber/ground attack plane. The pilots are in one wing pod, and the two gunners are in the other - the idea was that by placing the crew in the wingtips, they would have an excellent field of view. Also, guns would have a much less restricted field of fire if they didn't have to worry about props and tail surfaces.

A much saner project (save one insane twist) was the Ju 187. During the battle of Britain the Ju 87 started to show its age, and the Ju 187 was a update to the design. This is something that say, the Japanese were very good at: design a new warplane to replace an older one, while keeping the design essentially conventional. German aerospace engineers, of course, just had to add one brilliant twist to that process...

[/URL]

For extra defense, they added a remote turret to the rear of the plane. Instead of making it a tail turret like a untermenchen aeronautical designer would have done, they mounted the turret to the fuselage and had the tail rotate out of the turret's way.

Some of the designs are so eccentric, in fact, that I can't help but wonder if the designers were doing whatever the gently caress they wanted because they knew anything that wasn't an existing design would be rejected.

I mean seriously German engineers, you are going to tell me you took this poo poo seriously

If by the end of the war they were taking the piss and just writing RnD checks to investigate what they thought was cool, I can't really blame them. I think everyone around here would agree that Luftwaffe procurement was often downright retarded. Take this for example:

Oh, and the entire cockpit could eject itself via rockets

This is the Henschel P87, a ground attack plane that looks like something Mr. Rutan would have designed. After much engineering work had been done on it and it was time to start building prototypes, the top Luftwaffe brains rejected the whole enterprise, writing a not saying "pilots would not become accustomed to having propellers in the rear and tailplanes in the front." :smug: I should point out this was in 1941.

slidebite posted:

I know what you mean - I think we're OK as long as we don't start thinking along these lines without those asterisks. A cool machine is a cool machine.

Also, at least some of the designs in the book resemble, or would inspire other designs:

Nazi A-10:

(The book's authors claim this Junkers design for a jet powered attack aircraft with big guns and heavy armor actually was an influence on the A-10's design; not sure how much truth their is to that.)

Nazi Northrop flying wing:

Nazi B-36:

Nazi B-47:

Nazi Vickers Valiant:

[/URL]

Nazi Tu-95:

Nazi very long range reconnaissance strategic bomber flying wing split tail modular external cargo container carrier:

[/URL]

Nazi oh gently caress it:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

If you ever get nostalgic delta will probably have the same planes operating out of ATL next week.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Nazi A-10:

(The book's authors claim this Junkers design for a jet powered attack aircraft with big guns and heavy armor actually was an influence on the A-10's design; not sure how much truth their is to that.)

Look at the tail and canopy. Either the person that did that drawing has seen an A-10 and wanted to imply that Republic was full of Nazis, or it's accurate to the German design, And Republic really was full of Nazis.

:tinfoil:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

If by the end of the war they were taking the piss and just writing RnD checks to investigate what they thought was cool, I can't really blame them. I think everyone around here would agree that Luftwaffe procurement was often downright retarded. Take this for example:

This is the Henschel P87, a ground attack plane that looks like something Mr. Rutan would have designed. After much engineering work had been done on it and it was time to start building prototypes, the top Luftwaffe brains rejected the whole enterprise, writing a not saying "pilots would not become accustomed to having propellers in the rear and tailplanes in the front." :smug: I should point out this was in 1941.

I know what you mean - I think we're OK as long as we don't start thinking along these lines without those asterisks. A cool machine is a cool machine.

I really don't see what's wrong with that plane, it's not like the germans were the only country doing weird stuff...

e: also..

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 28, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Look at the tail and canopy. Either the person that did that drawing has seen an A-10 and wanted to imply that Republic was full of Nazis, or it's accurate to the German design, And Republic really was full of Nazis.

:tinfoil:

Was Northrop full of Nazis as well? Because the YA-9 had a similar cockpit configuration, and engines in the wing root to boot.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well, we did try this in the B1-A until it killed a pilot. The 4 ejection seat design seems to work a lot better in the Bone.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
I made this just for fun this morning trying to come up with painting comps:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's no secret Fairchild Republic cribbed a lot from that Junkers. A good design is a good design no matter where it comes from.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I kind of love this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I kind of love this

It looks like something out of crimson skies.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Plinkey posted:

Well, we did try this in the B1-A until it killed a pilot. The 4 ejection seat design seems to work a lot better in the Bone.

The F-111 had a perfectly fine ejection capsule/cockpit, and the individual ejection capsules in the B-58 worked ok IIRC.

I'm pretty sure that the B-1 ejection capsule worked as well as seats did. Sure the first actual use resulted in 1 loss of life, but so did the first use of the seats on the B-1B. Ejection has always been a BIT of a gamble on every airframe.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

SybilVimes posted:

The F-111 had a perfectly fine ejection capsule/cockpit, and the individual ejection capsules in the B-58 worked ok IIRC.

I'm pretty sure that the B-1 ejection capsule worked as well as seats did. Sure the first actual use resulted in 1 loss of life, but so did the first use of the seats on the B-1B. Ejection has always been a BIT of a gamble on every airframe.

I remember reading, too, the production run B-70 would've had the entire cockpit eject as a capsule as well, as it was thought the safest way for a full crew of four personnel to eject at super-sonic speeds. The XB-70, as it only had two crew members, had individual capsules that worked the one time it was used, save for a broken arm.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Nazi oh gently caress it:

I love the fact that this thing is clearly set up to try and catch the little parasite fighter again. That tiny landing strip is as adorable as it is impractical. :allears:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

YF19pilot posted:

I remember reading, too, the production run B-70 would've had the entire cockpit eject as a capsule as well, as it was thought the safest way for a full crew of four personnel to eject at super-sonic speeds. The XB-70, as it only had two crew members, had individual capsules that worked the one time it was used, save for a broken arm.

Standard ejection seats are bad news at supersonic speeds. It's possible to survive, but you can expect to be completely hosed up. I got to meet a guy who had an F-15 disintegrate around him at stupid high speeds and the list of medical issues he had (flail injuries, almost complete facial reconstruction, spinal problems, etc) was just jaw-dropping.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

Standard ejection seats are bad news at supersonic speeds. It's possible to survive, but you can expect to be completely hosed up. I got to meet a guy who had an F-15 disintegrate around him at stupid high speeds and the list of medical issues he had (flail injuries, almost complete facial reconstruction, spinal problems, etc) was just jaw-dropping.

Supersonic ejection's best case scenario is probable crew survival upon landing. It makes no further promises.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

hobbesmaster posted:

It looks like something out of crimson skies a penis.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Supersonic ejection's best case scenario is probable crew survival upon landing. It makes no further promises.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Here's an article on the f-15 driver godholio was talking about :
http://www.ejectionsite.com/insaddle/insaddle.htm

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Balls of loving adamantium, in that picture there.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ursa_minor posted:

Here's a little painting I did for my Dad and his buddies last night - He and his friends all own little Cessnas, Aroncas, Satabrias and whatnot, and they call themselves the Hundred Horse Air Force, so I thought it'd be funny to do a little series of their imagined exploits. I'm really just using it as something to learn on, I'm extremely new to digital painting.

EDIT: The elevator is down on the Chief, something I need to fix in a repaint, haha.

Very nice!

It's Aeronca and Citabria (Airbatic backwards)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

tactlessbastard posted:

(Airbatic backwards)

I never noticed that before.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

I never noticed that before.

I've always wanted a Citabria and I soloed in a pre-war Chief so that post pushed all of my buttons!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Ever heard folks call them "Aeron-AH-Cas" out loud?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
My favorite planes are the Junkers 88 and the BF-110. I wish I could have one of either.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Looks comparable to the de Havilland Vampire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug