Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I have decided that after my speed6 gets out of having the rear diff mount fixed that I am going to part with it and I have set my eye on a BMW. I drove a E28 528e in high school and loved the crap out of it. Here is the one that I am looking to pick up. It is a 97 E36 M3, ~164K miles, 5 speed, black on black leather. 2 sets of wheels/tires (set of summer/snow). I have emailed the seller a few times getting some info on it and it seems to fall within the sense of reasonable for pricing/maintenance/etc. and he went and sent me higher res images in an email and now it is all I can think about. I can sell my MS6 for a few grand more than what this would cost so I would keep a reserve of ~$1000 to buy some new brakes and cooling system bits, maybe suspension stuff (which has been replaced at least once in the life of the car). I drive less than ~7K miles a year so I figure this would be a fun car that I can enjoy and get a little more comfortable tinkering with.

Less :words: more pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Looks pretty good for 164k. Just have the DSIIs refinished the right colour (or plastidip removed, I can't tell), it will look so much better.

And since it's been winter driven, make sure to check for the usual e36 rust spots.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

And since it's been winter driven, make sure to check for the usual e36 rust spots.

Where are those?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

My E46 330i's yellow check oil light has been turning on but my oil level is fine (and I just had it changed a few hundred miles ago). It isn't on when I start the car but after a few miles it turns on and stays on until I turn off the car. Anyone know what this could be? Maybe oil sensor is busted? How hard is that to fix?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
part is $80 and you have to jack up the car and dump out all your oil. You may just want to spring to have your indy do it during the next oil change. Just watch the levels until then.

Part: 12-61-7-508-003-M44

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...evel_Sensor.htm

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is that the same part number for all e46s? I've an 03 320d.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Ziploc posted:

Where are those?

Back of rear inner fender where it meets the bumper, rear of front fender, where nosepanel meets front fender. Generally those are the ones that occur on most e36s/e46s I've both owned and looked at. Thats not to say they won't rust elsewhere first, my 328is had rust on every bodypanel except the roof.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have decided that after my speed6 gets out of having the rear diff mount fixed that I am going to part with it and I have set my eye on a BMW. I drove a E28 528e in high school and loved the crap out of it. Here is the one that I am looking to pick up. It is a 97 E36 M3, ~164K miles, 5 speed, black on black leather. 2 sets of wheels/tires (set of summer/snow). I have emailed the seller a few times getting some info on it and it seems to fall within the sense of reasonable for pricing/maintenance/etc. and he went and sent me higher res images in an email and now it is all I can think about. I can sell my MS6 for a few grand more than what this would cost so I would keep a reserve of ~$1000 to buy some new brakes and cooling system bits, maybe suspension stuff (which has been replaced at least once in the life of the car). I drive less than ~7K miles a year so I figure this would be a fun car that I can enjoy and get a little more comfortable tinkering with.

Less :words: more pics

That looks really sharp, something like that would probably go for around $7500 around here. They're not bad to work on either. The engine bay is a little cramped but everything is laid out sensibly. Mine is a weekend toy/autocross/track day car and for the price (Or three times it) you can't find a better car for that application.

Putting money aside for the cooling system is smart. I've had mine since March and I've had to replace the radiator, water pump, and thermostat. It really would be a good idea to just do it all preemptively. That will leave you a bit of money to do the control arm and trailing arm bushings and the rear shock mounts which are all likely shot if they have not been replaced. The engine and transmission shouldn't give you any trouble. They do seem to like heavy oil if you are planning on running it hard.

e: How are the door cards and headliner?

User Error fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 29, 2013

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

The Third Man posted:

Thank you both very much, it sounds like this is exactly what's going on. I went ahead and ordered rotors because I really should have done them in the first place, but once I throw those on I'm betting everything will be running well. I'll disable the TC tonight and test to just to confirm.

Just an update, you dudes were right, disabled the traction control and everything was good(but grindy, as predicted).

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

User Error posted:

That looks really sharp, something like that would probably go for around $7500 around here. They're not bad to work on either. The engine bay is a little cramped but everything is laid out sensibly. Mine is a weekend toy/autocross/track day car and for the price (Or three times it) you can't find a better car for that application.

Putting money aside for the cooling system is smart. I've had mine since March and I've had to replace the radiator, water pump, and thermostat. It really would be a good idea to just do it all preemptively. That will leave you a bit of money to do the control arm and trailing arm bushings and the rear shock mounts which are all likely shot if they have not been replaced. The engine and transmission shouldn't give you any trouble. They do seem to like heavy oil if you are planning on running it hard.

e: How are the door cards and headliner?

Thanks for the heads up on what to look for. The photos haven't shown the headliner much but the seats (heated leather) and other interior bits seem pretty good for a car nearing 17 years. I'd like to begin some sort of light track days. I haven't been to see it in person because I need to get my car listed first. I fear if I go look at it I will nag my wife to no end until I buy it and worry about getting the MS6 sold later. Not easy since I have the cash n.o.w.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ok time for AI to talk me into doing something stupid!

An independent dealership near me that specializes in high-end brands and has an excellent reputation has a 2005 X3 3.0i for sale for $11k. It has no options except heated seats (the one thing I really want) and it's a 6 speed.

I'm putting way to many miles on my M3, have to rent a truck any time I buy anything bulky, and my family hates riding around all day in the M3 when I come home to visit.

Am I crazy? That motor and trans should be bulletproof but.......

It's this one here: http://www.hymanbrosauto.com/web/used/BMW-X3-2005-Midlothian-Virginia/7821486/

Edit: M54B30. How is the GS6X37BZ 6-speed?

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 29, 2013

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Jonny 290 posted:

At this point non-iL E38's look weird to me. Gimme the boat.

(one with a fresh transmission, though.)

If I had infinite money I'd go buy a 750iL Protection E38 and drive Uber a night or two a week just for funs. "Well, not bulletproof, but close enough."
infinite money, you say?

(bah, VIN decoder says it's a normal one)

Looking for some real Protection 740iLs, I found this from last year.
Guy buys an e32 740iL for $3100 with two VINs, one of them is crossed out. Thinks it might have been some weird fraud car.
Turns out he bought THE RAREST of Alpinas. One of 7, and possibly the only Long version.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 29, 2013

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Huh? I thought all V12 models came in LWB. Flagship status some other weird thing.

Yes, calling E38s short is weird.

The V12s even came in an even longer wheelbase than the iL in the form of the L7 (supposedly also known as the 750XLi in some markets). Another 25 cm in the middle of the car on the E38s and every one of those 899 custom built as a BMW Individual model.

edit: Someone found a L7 brochure

http://imgur.com/a/BgLMG

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jealous Cow posted:

Ok time for AI to talk me into doing something stupid!

An independent dealership near me that specializes in high-end brands and has an excellent reputation has a 2005 X3 3.0i for sale for $11k. It has no options except heated seats (the one thing I really want) and it's a 6 speed.

I'm putting way to many miles on my M3, have to rent a truck any time I buy anything bulky, and my family hates riding around all day in the M3 when I come home to visit.

Am I crazy? That motor and trans should be bulletproof but.......

It's this one here: http://www.hymanbrosauto.com/web/used/BMW-X3-2005-Midlothian-Virginia/7821486/

Edit: M54B30. How is the GS6X37BZ 6-speed?

I know someone who has one, he likes it but another friend of mine who has driven it described it as an awd e46 wagon with a lift kit (meh).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I got the itch for a 2002 today. What's the best resource out there for researching them? (Specific forum?)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

revmoo posted:

E38 is the best looking chassis BMW has ever built. And probably will ever build.

The E39 would like a word with you.

Dollar for dollar, if you want a car that can tote around the family, hit the track, play stop light racer, an E39 540i is a very formidable opponent that very few cars can match. Plus in black or silver and proper wheels it still looks remarkably modern, even pushing 10 years old.

(I say this within reason, I know the m5 is good, but I'm just making a case for a reasonable car that's not overly big on upkeep)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Oh come on, seriously, nobody thinks the E24 is the best looking?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Kenshin posted:

You're not alone, the E24 is quintessential BMW to me. It's on my very short list of old cars to buy as a project car.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Kenshin posted:

Only the M6 and the 635CSi, they need the rear spoiler to make the profile. Something about the off center exhaust always bothered me too.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I honestly don't like the e24 at all. Big coupes just don't look right to me, I think the e28 looks vastly better in euro trim.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Ok I've got a weird rear end problem with my E30. The morning after a rain, I'll go to start the car and everything will be fine until the first time I stop at a light. Then when accelerating away from a light, the engine starts misfiring, sputtering and this morning it actually stalled out on me. I coasted into a parking lot, started it back up again and I could rev it in neutral no problem. When I put it in gear and gave it gas, engine stalled out again. Waited a minute or two, started it up again, put it in gear, gave it some gas and it stalled out a second or two later. Third time, I started it up, gave it some gas very very slowly while in gear and got up around 1000 rpm as I puttered around the parking lot. It kept running so I got back on the surface streets and around 1800-2000 RPM (~35mph in 2nd gear) it started missing again. I maintained the same throttle level and after 10-15 seconds the missing went away and it ran normal.

It only ever does this after it rains and the behavior is very consistent to the point where I'll wake up 10-15 minutes earlier if I know it's going to rain overnight just to make it to work on time if it does decide to poo poo out on me.

Friend of mine says it sounds like bad gas, but the whole rain thing and that it's done this with gas from different gas stations/companies makes me rule that out. It sounds like to me something is getting wet while it rains but I don't have a clue where to narrow down the search to.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I had an issue on my 325e that I could not figure out, that rain made worse, and it ended up being the O2 sensor. Unplug the O2 sensor and see if its happier.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Kenshin posted:

Not as timeless. Did not age gracefully. They're amazing cars, but they look old.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

I had an issue on my 325e that I could not figure out, that rain made worse, and it ended up being the O2 sensor. Unplug the O2 sensor and see if its happier.

I think it's going to rain again tonight/tomorrow so I'll try that. Living in Kansas I can go months without it raining overnight, especially in the summer so I kind of forgot about the thing for a while.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I'm in Iowa, I know the drill. Fortunately the O2 sensor is easy to check as the car runs perfectly fine with it unplugged. Whenever it was plugged in, even with a new sensor, the car would go haywire. I drove it like that for about a year, 28mpg average.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A series of events almost led me to buying a CPO 2010 Land Rover LR2 today for $26k. I came to my senses before signing anything.

I need to stay away from dealerships.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I can't seem to catch a break this week... The passenger side rear rotor on my e46 will not come off. The hold down screw has been removed, and the parking brake is disengaged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLuNZhKKon0

Something is stuck on the right side and I cannot for the life of me get it to budge. I broke my favorite pry bar trying to get this loving thing off, so something is seriously not right here. Any ideas? After wailing on it with a hammer it doesn't even turn anymore...

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Parking brake shoe is rusted to the rotor, maybe? This happened to me once while parked for a couple days and I actually had to give it a surprising amount of gas to get the rotor to break free and the car to start moving.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

The Third Man posted:

I can't seem to catch a break this week... The passenger side rear rotor on my e46 will not come off. The hold down screw has been removed, and the parking brake is disengaged:

Something is stuck on the right side and I cannot for the life of me get it to budge. I broke my favorite pry bar trying to get this loving thing off, so something is seriously not right here. Any ideas? After wailing on it with a hammer it doesn't even turn anymore...

Were you driving it before (ie it turned recently)? You probably just need to wail on it with a huge sledge. Pry bars are useless for rust, you need the force of a large mass at high speed.

If you can't turn it and it hasn't moved recently, the shoes are probably seized to the inside of the rotor. I hope you have an angle grinder because I have broken rotors trying to pry them off when that happens.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rscott posted:

Ok I've got a weird rear end problem with my E30.

It only ever does this after it rains and the behavior is very consistent to the point where I'll wake up 10-15 minutes earlier if I know it's going to rain overnight just to make it to work on time if it does decide to poo poo out on me.

Mine was behaving similarly, found the intake boot cracked.

I had a Volvo 850 that would intermittently run so rich it would flood, oddly enough was worse when raining. Finally diagnosed the coolant temp sensor as bad....it would give the ecu the lowest temp it could read (like -55 or something), but for such a short amount of time the temp gauge just showed normal. PITA to find, no dtc ever set. Had to drive around with my obdII reader on live data until I saw it happen. Never figured what the rain had to do with it? Higher air moisture level reducing combustion, making existing problems worse?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Could I have mashed the rotor onto the brake shoe when I was hammering it earlier? The car hasn't been sitting for more than a couple days, and it drove fine beforehand.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

revmoo posted:

Not as timeless. Did not age gracefully. They're amazing cars, but they look old.

Assuming you mean "GOOD OLD," I agree

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Cobalt60 posted:

Assuming you mean "GOOD OLD," I agree

God drat that's hot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got in from a god drat long week at work and the doors on my e39 were frozen shut. I carefully pulled on the handle and pryed from the top of the door to get it open, and it finally came, but when i went to close it it wouldn't close. I manually pushed on the door catch and it wouldn't click shut. i held the door shut and hit the lock button, and the door catch caught at the second catch, a quick tug and the door was shut properly, but now it won't open at all from the inside or outside door handles. I figured i would sit and wait in the car until the heater heated up a bit so i could get out and free the wipers a little more easily, but all that did was create a massive ball of ice around the passenger side wiper and crack my god drat windshield right from one side to the other. i finally dug the second wiper free and got back in the car(through the passenger side door, which is awkward rear end hell because i am 6'9), and naturally less than a mile later the second wiper was frozen right back down to the windshield and i couldn't see poo poo, so i had to climb back out the passenger door and free the wipers again because the defroster doesn't warm up the windshield where the second wiper sits.

Basically my question is, is there a cheap way to get more power from an E39 540i?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Third Man posted:

I have the exact same problem on an e46 wagon and the recommendation I was given was to remove the entire rear caliper and carrier bracket, then wind bolts through the holes to push the disc off. Not tried it yet as I've been busy but worst case the disc cracks, which is worst case for any method.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

revmoo posted:

E38 is the best looking chassis BMW has ever built. And probably will ever build.

E31 or GTFO.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Yes, the e31 is so hot in person. Some guy was filling up one at a gas station and I ran over to tell him how awesome his car was.

Dude was so happy someone recognized what it was. I guess he'd sunk big money into getting it fixed up from a non runner.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Cakefool posted:

I have the exact same problem on an e46 wagon and the recommendation I was given was to remove the entire rear caliper and carrier bracket, then wind bolts through the holes to push the disc off. Not tried it yet as I've been busy but worst case the disc cracks, which is worst case for any method.

That is an excellent idea, thank you! Disc is getting replaced anyway, so I'm just glad it's a potential solution that isn't cut that fucker off.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

I just smashed the poo poo out of them from the back with a small but heavy sledge, I was replacing the rotors though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
e46 owners: Are the expansion tanks known to fail at the lower connectors (where it sits on the bracket)? I've definitely got a leak coming from near there, but it's hard to tell if it's the bracket connection or the tank itself. The bracket is definitely a more special order so I'd prefer to avoid having to get one from the states. I have very low familiarity with the e46 cooling system.

Of course this happens when I finally get someone interested in buying the car.