Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigGinger
Dec 6, 2012
Your loneliness has been immortalized, TJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eskie
Jan 25, 2003
TNG 55s!

We've had a few people that have mentioned being unable to make our current raid times (M/W 5:30 PST), and we frequently have to sit a few people, so I'd like to try to bring back Sunday raids. If you're interested we'll be trying to start at 5:30 PST tomorrow. Come on out and we can start getting people (or their alts) some gear!

member001
Feb 19, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Any experience you'd miss doing that can easily be gained right back much later in the game when you unlock dailies. Dailies give an inordinate amount of experience for whatever reason.

You can also rocket boot while stealthed, as a random aside. It's so good.

What the gently caress? Really?
Thanks! :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rascyc posted:

Any experience you'd miss doing that can easily be gained right back much later in the game when you unlock dailies. Dailies give an inordinate amount of experience for whatever reason

That is cool to know, thanks. Are all dailies Heroic 2+ stuff, or are there any you can solo without having to be a million levels ahead?

EDIT: Also, where are the rocket boosts in the Cartel Store?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

CommissarMega posted:

That is cool to know, thanks. Are all dailies Heroic 2+ stuff, or are there any you can solo without having to be a million levels ahead?

EDIT: Also, where are the rocket boosts in the Cartel Store?

They are not in the store. They are in legacy unlocks.

Cadence
Dec 31, 2007
You all (and the LPS) have convinced me to try TOR. I have never played before, so I will be making a new account and all that. I want to play imperial side, and with goons, so Jedi Covenant seems the logical choice. I want to play a stealth char that can solo things. This makes my options Inquisitor-Shadow or Operative, is that correct? Which should I do? Is there anything else I should know before I set up an account and make my first character?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Assassin is probably what you want then. The operative isn't going to work as well for soloing before you understand the game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Cadence posted:

You all (and the LPS) have convinced me to try TOR. I have never played before, so I will be making a new account and all that. I want to play imperial side, and with goons, so Jedi Covenant seems the logical choice. I want to play a stealth char that can solo things. This makes my options Inquisitor-Shadow or Operative, is that correct? Which should I do? Is there anything else I should know before I set up an account and make my first character?

Short story - Assassin (imperial Shadow) can either tank or DPS. If you go Tank, you can rely on your DPS companions to beat things up as you take hits, or can get healed by your healer companion later on. Operative can either heal or DPS, and you only have a tank companion for a very, very long time.

With either one, if you want to DPS, you'll need to stay behind the enemy for maximum damage. Which is fine for both because your first companions on each are tank companions, which will draw aggro away from you. If you want to last longer and aren't as concerned about doing damage, tank spec'd Assassin is really good.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jabro posted:

They are not in the store. They are in legacy unlocks.

I see- and how do I access legacy unlocks? I think I've got one; it says 'Nerfkriffer Legacy' in big friendly golden letters above my character select screen. If I do get them, can I combine their speed boost with a speeder?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Play Operative IMO because the agent story is the best and it is the only fully complete story that went according to the original Bioware plan before they had to cut down to meet budget/timelines.

---

On that same note I finally played my consular up to the entire Revan thing, which prompted me to go check the lovely wikis on what exactly they did to Revan and the Exile storylines and every part of me frowned as much as a human being can possibly frown.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

I see- and how do I access legacy unlocks? I think I've got one; it says 'Nerfkriffer Legacy' in big friendly golden letters above my character select screen. If I do get them, can I combine their speed boost with a speeder?

Click the shield looking icon on top of your screen and root around in there. You'll find it.

Rocket boost and speeders are an either/or thing. The boost is mainly useful in areas where speeders are prohibited - like many flashpoints.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Hulk Smash! posted:

Click the shield looking icon on top of your screen and root around in there. You'll find it.

Alternatively, press the Y key. At least in the default mapping.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rascyc posted:

On that same note I finally played my consular up to the entire Revan thing, which prompted me to go check the lovely wikis on what exactly they did to Revan and the Exile storylines and every part of me frowned as much as a human being can possibly frown.

That book is an abomination. The writer never even bothered to play Kotor II so he knows gently caress-all about that side of the story. An Revan comes off as incredibly incompetent throughout.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nephthys posted:

That book is an abomination. The writer never even bothered to play Kotor II so he knows gently caress-all about that side of the story. An Revan comes off as incredibly incompetent throughout.

Well, its consistent with SWTOR Revan at least.

Eskie
Jan 25, 2003
Big thanks to everyone that came out for raiding tonight! We did a quick EV and then were able to get together a full 16 for the first two bosses of TFB. I'm planning to make this a regular Sunday night activity, so any 55s that can't make the M/W raid time, or want to gear out an alt or four, we'll be going again next Sunday at 5:30 PST!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

hobbesmaster posted:

The Sith Empire is evil! I need to save people, I know what to do- commit genocide!

I pretty much was like "yep okay, that makes no sense".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wtftastic posted:

The Sith Empire is evil! I need to save people, I know what to do- commit genocide!

I pretty much was like "yep okay, that makes no sense".

Behold the power of the force in balance!

Yeah uh, pretty sure genocide is a dark side only thing, sorry.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Despite having a pile of characters on Shadowlands, I rolled a DPS Sage on Jedi Covenant for shits & giggles and got him to 11. I had some ideas for other characters so I rolled 5 more. And I might as well get all the classes in there so I'm creating another 2 when I get home.

I'll be online the next day or two looking for Goon Squad/TNG invites. Help feed my addiction!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

hobbesmaster posted:

Hey, Revan had given the Mandalorians what for and was trashing the Republic's fleet left and right until Malak got the drop on him. We're not talking about, say, Admiral Daala over here.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CesiumCanoe posted:

Despite having a pile of characters on Shadowlands, I rolled a DPS Sage on Jedi Covenant for shits & giggles and got him to 11. I had some ideas for other characters so I rolled 5 more. And I might as well get all the classes in there so I'm creating another 2 when I get home.

I'll be online the next day or two looking for Goon Squad/TNG invites. Help feed my addiction!

...:stare:

And I thought I had altitis.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
After waiting a week for Bioware to respond to my ticket regarding a bug that stopped my smuggler's story progress on Belsavis cold and the game regularly crashing whenever I'd finish a flashpoint or alt-tab, I canceled my subscription. There's still nuggets of a good game in here, but not enough to merit a paid subscription.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cythereal posted:

After waiting a week for Bioware to respond to my ticket regarding a bug that stopped my smuggler's story progress on Belsavis cold and the game regularly crashing whenever I'd finish a flashpoint or alt-tab, I canceled my subscription. There's still nuggets of a good game in here, but not enough to merit a paid subscription.

Were you running full screen windowed or full screen? Alt tab likely won't work with the latter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Were you running full screen windowed or full screen? Alt tab likely won't work with the latter.

Full screen. It works about half the time, crashes and messes up my display's resolution forcing me to go into control panel to fix it the other half of the time.

And I'm disappointed with the lack of story stuff in general since I last played. Makeb is tedious and the story boring. The Dread Masters are kind of interesting, but I know there's no resolution to that unless I raid. The vaunted LGB content is minimal and disappointing. Coupled with the technical issues, TOR is just disappointing in general.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 28, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Full screen. It works about half the time, crashes and messes up my display's resolution forcing me to go into control panel to fix it the other half of the time.

Name a game that does this properly without running in windowed mode.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Fifteen of Many posted:

So I'm newish and was looking up the titles my character could end up having. It looks like there are several I've met criteria for but didn't get, specifically for hitting Valor 10 and completing one of the heroic missions on Korriban. Am I overlooking something?

If you're looking at an old list there were a lot of titles that were taken out with no rhyme or reason between beta and release. :iiam:

Duelist (Valor 10) should be there but the one for The Hate Machine (Imperial Scholar) was one of the victims.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Name a game that does this properly without running in windowed mode.

WoW. Civilization 5. Dawn of War 2: Retribution. Skyrim. Those are the games I've played recently that did it just fine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cythereal posted:

WoW. Civilization 5. Dawn of War 2: Retribution. Skyrim. Those are the games I've played recently that did it just fine.

Skyrim? How'd you manage that? I've never had alt tab work properly without it either crash or end up with an extra cursor. This is even after forcing it to run windowed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Skyrim? How'd you manage that? I've never had alt tab work properly without it either crash or end up with an extra cursor. This is even after forcing it to run windowed.

*shrug* It's always worked fine for me.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
SWTOR is the only game on my lovely gaming rig that is a high likelihood of crashing if I alt tab from fullscreen. Sometimes a game will make my machine run like molasses while the context switches from fullscreen to minimized but otherwise it handles it pretty good.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

If you're looking at an old list there were a lot of titles that were taken out with no rhyme or reason between beta and release. :iiam:

Duelist (Valor 10) should be there but the one for The Hate Machine (Imperial Scholar) was one of the victims.

Duelist should definitely work. And the new patch notes say Imperial Scholar should be fixed as of tomorrow! (Will probably have to rerun the quest to get it though.)

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Why would they do this? :psyduck:

Still should have my valor title though, thanks guys! I put in a ticket.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Fifteen of Many posted:

Why would they do this? :psyduck:

Still should have my valor title though, thanks guys! I put in a ticket.

The same reason they took out half of the end game armor, crippling their end game progression.

Mind you, that was the end game armor that was the reward for getting social levels. And was the armor everyone liked. Things like KOTOR era Mandalorian armor, Sith armor that aped Vader and other looks, the space tuxedo, and more. This was with pure black and white variants of armor.

They put some of it back in in the cash shop later on. But still, they are not a bright developer team.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Archonex posted:

The same reason they took out half of the end game armor, crippling their end game progression.

Mind you, that was the end game armor that was the reward for getting social levels. And was the armor everyone liked. Things like KOTOR era Mandalorian armor, Sith armor that aped Vader and other looks, the space tuxedo, and more. This was with pure black and white variants of armor.

They put some of it back in in the cash shop later on. But still, they are not a bright developer team.

These are also the developers who removed the ability to customize companions to different roles, letting you take along the companions whose interactions you wanted to see rather than the one whose class best complements yours. And promised same-sex companion romances soon after launch as there simply wasn't time to finish them in satisfactory fashion for launch.

I want to like TOR a lot, and there is indeed good stuff to be found in it, but boneheaded development decisions and tepid technical support, optimization, and generally coming across as not giving a poo poo are things I've come to associate with the TOR team.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The devs have done a good job since F2P launched. Yeah there were some really stupid decisions at launch but there's not much point in rehashing it now since it was a long time ago and I wonder how many of the same people are even still around.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Archonex posted:

Why did they do that again? It just seems so... stupid.

I still recall when this was in development and their big revolutionary thing was Kotor-style lightsaber combat. Where the lightsabers match up their swings and they block their strikes and stuff. Cuz thats what people want from an mmo.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Nephthys posted:

I still recall when this was in development and their big revolutionary thing was Kotor-style lightsaber combat. Where the lightsabers match up their swings and they block their strikes and stuff. Cuz thats what people want from an mmo.

It was actually like that for a while in beta and it was kinda cool. I mean the animations looked great. The problem is that the characters had to be positioned perfectly for it to work, and how they solved that was by having your character sort of slide and lock into the right place when you activated a melee attack. For a lot of people, that small loss of control over their character's movement was a major frustration, and there were a lot of complaints. I can imagine that for characters who relied on precise positioning, especially in PVP, it would be a headache. So I think they made the right call, but it's kinda too bad that didn't work out. It was a neat idea.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Archonex posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this was just because they wanted to ship the game out earlier and couldn't get everything in on time without half assing it.

Plus the game ended up recovering in F2P and the overall development is looking up, so I'm not particularly upset with the dev team.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Had way too much fun leveling up my lowbie Asstank on JC last night. The Sith Inquisitor story isn't new to me - the husband unit and I leveled up a Sorc/Mara pair a while back and I have a 55 Sorc elsewhere - but I'd forgotten how awesome the male VA is. Especially when picking the snarkiest responses (which are the best). Love that it's a Shadow tank with lightning instead of rocks so I feel like a pro already.

Only one complaint - Legacy is only server-wide. Had to start over at Legacy Level 1 and buy Rocket Boots again (how tragic). But I get to use the same stupid custom UI!

If anyone in TNG (or anyone on JC) wants to group for lowbie PVP or flashpoints, hit up I'chiro. I should be around at least a couple nights a week.

elfelfbaby
May 29, 2006

We've got a strong lowbie pvp and fp presence at the moment. Make sure to hop into TS and look around to see where the action is. Mostly weeknights and weekends right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

If the legacy levels are important to you, you can pay to transfer a character over, and your old legacy will come with it

• Locked thread