Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

smr posted:

Real-time Global World War II simulator?!?!?!?!

0-o

That's just gotta be unplayable nonsense.

The cold war game was poo poo, at least. The worst type of poo poo. The kind of poo poo that you might be willing to play for about ten minutes if you had made a dumb $500 wager with a soon-to-be-ex-friend to play the game for a minimum of half an hour. Even in constricted scenarios it tasted like poo poo, so it's not just a matter of the scope overwhelming you. Hearts of Iron is a fun, albeit buggy, series. Supreme Ruler is just such a lovely series that you wouldn't notice if there were bugs among all the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Ive been in the Supreme Ruler beta since SR2010 and the most fun I've ever had with the game was in the SR2010 beta playing multiplayer against the devs and using bugs in the game against them.

The SR people ignore people; they have ignored my suggestions for about a decade now. I like supporting this sort of game and Canadian software developers but they have this attitude of "good enough" that really isn't good enough for me.

Edit: Also they aren't even Grognard really. More like HOI for retards.

Editx2: I'll still buy their retarded game.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 24, 2013

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
The developer for World in Flames is being very coy about the price on the Matrix forums, something tells me it's a doozy. I still can't believe it won't be downloadble in the year 2013, but hey, wargames.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Woodchip posted:

The developer for World in Flames is being very coy about the price on the Matrix forums, something tells me it's a doozy. I still can't believe it won't be downloadble in the year 2013, but hey, wargames.

What.

As for the price matrix has a policy about not releasing any price information for anything until the product is actually for sale.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Woodchip posted:

Are these guys for real? No AI, lovely graphics, and now you can only order it in a box? There's every indication that the manual is going to be think enough to be used in old-school police interrogations too.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Looks like it will only be DL + physical. With a 9' x 21' map... If this is less than $200 I will be surprised.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

V for Vegas posted:

Looks like it will only be DL + physical. With a 9' x 21' map... If this is less than $200 I will be surprised.

Looks like the map is optional, but the manuals are mandatory and consist of three big hard cover books. Yeah it will be expensive as hell even compared to normal Matrix prices.

(Fortunately World in Flames is a pretty bad game that I have no interest in!)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Logicone posted:

How do the old Close Combat games stack up? I've been interested ever since I played Close Combat: First to Fight on the Xbox ages ago, and learned that the other games in the series were far more tactical, and not a fairly poor FPS! For that matter, should I go for the remakes, or are the old ones still worth my time if I can find them/get them to work?

I can't play those games before bed. The gunfire and the screams are just plain disturbing.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

V for Vegas posted:

I refuse to believe that even Matrix Games is that stupid. There must be some mistake.

If there isn't, hey ho for another thread on their forums where people criticize Matrix's business practices and Matrix goes "Well have you been selling wargames for fifteen years I think not :smug:"

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
One of the hardest things for a human being to do is admit that not only are they wrong but that they've been wrong for years. The longer Matrix exists, the more certain they'll get that their insane pricing strategies are actually legitimate.

There is a very good reason why Pride is considered to be the most dangerous of the sins.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I can assure you World in Flames will be bad and won't be worth the price. That's all I can tell you.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
The reason why I'm having trouble believing this one is because Matrix is actually PROUD about migrating early to online retailing, often bringing it up to say "See, we're not hidebound traditionalists, we adjust to the market so if we don't do something that means we looked it over closely and found that it's a bad idea!" Taking such an idiotic step backwards seems a little out of character for them given that, leaving aside the fact that it's such complete flaming stupidity that even Matrix seems unlikely to fall into it.

So yeah, I figure there must have been some sort of misunderstanding because nobody is dumb enough to insist on physical copies only when selling online in this day and age...right?

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
That and the AI is coming a year after. It really isn't good and I can't go into much more detail as you can guess why.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tomn posted:

I refuse to believe that even Matrix Games is that stupid. There must be some mistake.

If there isn't, hey ho for another thread on their forums where people criticize Matrix's business practices and Matrix goes "Well have you been selling wargames for fifteen years I think not :smug:"

The next project is going to be a PC port of The Campaign for North Africa! In order to maintain the gameplay-hours-to-dollars ratio despite the 300 dollar asking price, the player still has to do all the book-keeping himself!

Necroneocon posted:

I can assure you World in Flames will be bad and won't be worth the price. That's all I can tell you.

You're playing WiF right now, aren't you?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'd love to see a conversion of Totaler Krieg/Dai Senso into a videogame instead of World in Flames but that seems unlikely to happen.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Tomn posted:

So yeah, I figure there must have been some sort of misunderstanding because nobody is dumb enough to insist on physical copies only when selling online in this day and age...right?

Someone is always dumb enough.
ALWAYS

Never, ever expect that nobody would be dumb enough to do something because the universe will take that as a challenge and you will lose.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tekopo posted:

I'd love to see a conversion of Totaler Krieg/Dai Senso into a videogame instead of World in Flames but that seems unlikely to happen.

A conversion in the sense that Battle of the Bulge iOS is a conversion or Unity of Command is a conversion or SSI's Clash of Steel is a conversion would be sweet, indeed.

B-17 Queen of the Skies on iOS/Android with a bunch of spiffy graphics would also be a perfect Progress Quest-ish time-waster.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

gradenko_2000 posted:

A conversion in the sense that Battle of the Bulge iOS is a conversion or Unity of Command is a conversion or SSI's Clash of Steel is a conversion would be sweet, indeed.

B-17 Queen of the Skies on iOS/Android with a bunch of spiffy graphics would also be a perfect Progress Quest-ish time-waster.
I'd love to see Thunderbolt Apache Leader on iOS/Android as well: Phantom Leader was pretty fun even though they made some pretty awful design decisions in terms of the UI.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
After all this time I was hoping Matrix WiF would be worth buying. I can't find my copy of the old CWiF, and I haven't had space to play the board game for a decade. I should have known better after following the Matrix forum for years.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Axis Empires/Dai Senso is an actual good game to port, unlike World in Flames. It's a game where you can actually track things yourself and isn't a bloated mess. It has some wonkiness but would be a great computer game. But hey, World in Flames has a billion expansions!

Logicone
Nov 3, 2012

Fur proud service to ze Axis, I hereby avard myself und mein subordinates ze Better zan Herp Ribbon!

You get ze ribbon! Und YOU get ze ribbon! EVERYONE gets ze ribbon!

Except Herp. Arschloch.

mllaneza posted:

I can't play those games before bed. The gunfire and the screams are just plain disturbing.

Now I'm suddenly not so sure I could even play them! I'm the kind of person that the first time I used a flamethrower on someone in Call of Duty: World at War, I had to put down my controller and not come back to it for a few days. In the meantime, I've been curious about Command: Modern Air Naval Operations - I was and still am a huge junkie for Naval warfare after I cut my teeth on Jane's Fleet Command and Naval War: Arctic Circle, and I was thinking about picking up Harpoon - would I be better off getting Command, despite it's higher price point? I'm mainly wary since I've heard bad things about the need to micro heavily and how poor ground operations are.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I do a weekly stream of Command game play; if you want to see the game in action. I also keep recordings of past broadcasts on YouTube.

I don't actually work for Matrix Games; I'm just a little obsessed with naval combat simulations. If Harpoon's interface didn't make my eyes bleed I would have been streaming Harpoon. And if Naval North War Artic whatever was a good game I'd be playing that too; I still can't believe that its 2013 and someone made a game that you can't save while you play.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're playing WiF right now, aren't you?

*coughs and does a wiggly hand signal*

Baloogan posted:

I do a weekly stream of Command game play; if you want to see the game in action. I also keep recordings of past broadcasts on YouTube.

Are your streams/recordings like tutorials? That would help me out a lot. I really like the game and I've spoken with the dev a lot and he's a sweet guy so thats why I caved into the price.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Necroneocon posted:

Are your streams/recordings like tutorials? That would help me out a lot. I really like the game and I've spoken with the dev a lot and he's a sweet guy so thats why I caved into the price.

I have a bunch of tutorials:
Air Tutorial
Sub Tutorial
ASuW Tutorial (surface combat)
Editor Tutorial

The majority of my videos are examples of the way I like to play Command. I just make poo poo up as I go along. For example I really wanted to sim F-35Bs over Henderson Field, Guadalcanal.
The F-35s get their poo poo pushed in by the Chinese, then the Chinese get owned by a DDG-1000. Marines land off of 3 LCAC hovercraft and with the help of some super cobras they take Guadalcanal!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1263/Order.of.Battle:.Pacific.takes.off!

The developers of Matrix's newest game announcement has one of the most unfortunate names yet.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Never heard of Matrix Games, but holy poo poo batman! When I read a preview of a board or computer game, the first sentence I want to see sure isn't "Start with three massive Hard-bound Books, two to teach you how to play"..

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Grog designers really have no clue. Instead of making games easier to play they just tack on ever more irrelevant poo poo that adds nothing to the game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Tias posted:

Never heard of Matrix Games, but holy poo poo batman! When I read a preview of a board or computer game, the first sentence I want to see sure isn't "Start with three massive Hard-bound Books, two to teach you how to play"..

Yeaaah; kind of the entire point of computer games is to remove the neccessity to read massive books worth of information. The computer does all the complex calculations for you that is why we play computer games.

If I want to do it all manually I'll go play Warhammer or something (which I totally do because I am a goony goon), I specifically play vidjeo games so I don't have to read and memorize massive volumes of text.

Sometimes you want to manage the individual ammo allocation of every soldier in your ten million man army for maximum effectiveness, other times you just want to point over thereish and say "Go conquer that for me."
Computer games are for the latter.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Baloogan posted:

I have a bunch of tutorials:
Air Tutorial
Sub Tutorial
ASuW Tutorial (surface combat)
Editor Tutorial

The majority of my videos are examples of the way I like to play Command. I just make poo poo up as I go along. For example I really wanted to sim F-35Bs over Henderson Field, Guadalcanal.
The F-35s get their poo poo pushed in by the Chinese, then the Chinese get owned by a DDG-1000. Marines land off of 3 LCAC hovercraft and with the help of some super cobras they take Guadalcanal!

Thanks so much! Will watch them!

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1263/Order.of.Battle:.Pacific.takes.off!

The developers of Matrix's newest game announcement has one of the most unfortunate names yet.

I guess the true joke is. What do you call a game with:

quote:

Classic turn based, hex based gameplay with an intuitive UI and great depth.
Play as the Japanese or Allies in 3 dynamic campaigns with unit carryover and multiple "what-if" scenarios including the Japanese invasion of Australia!
A rich 3D world with gorgeous animations and effects. Turn based wargaming has never looked this good!
20 different Specializations give a unique feel to each sides including Banzai Charge, Bushido Code and even the Manhattan Project.
Over 300 different units, including infantry, tanks, ships and aircraft, each with unique visuals and animations.
More than 60 Commanders with special offensive and defensive bonuses to really customize your force.
A deep but intuitive supply system allowing breakthroughs & encirclements.
4 player multiplayer over PBEM++ and hotseat, supporting last-man-standing, teamplay and cooperative against AI scenarios.
An extensive, user-friendly in-game scenario editor with a what-you-see-is-what-you-get design.
Grognard option to turn off the gorgeous 3D artwork and use a classic boardgame display mode with unit counters.

The Aristocrats!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Well done. :golfclap:

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

Tomn posted:

The reason why I'm having trouble believing this one is because Matrix is actually PROUD about migrating early to online retailing, often bringing it up to say "See, we're not hidebound traditionalists, we adjust to the market so if we don't do something that means we looked it over closely and found that it's a bad idea!" Taking such an idiotic step backwards seems a little out of character for them given that, leaving aside the fact that it's such complete flaming stupidity that even Matrix seems unlikely to fall into it.

My understanding was that it had something to do with their agreement with adg.

After the mess they made of Empires in Arms, I don't see how this will possibly end well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone's still playing WITE, I noticed that a beta patch was released this month, which fixes the Lvov pocket opening and cheesy Luftwaffe fuel airdrop tactics, and adds an option to turn the 1941-1942 First Winter rules to be really mild.

And the weekly deal is War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition for 49.99 USD and War Plan Orange for 19.99 USD.

The AI in the latter tends to navel gaze at times, but it does mean that the edge is really taken off on having to obsessively micro-manage everything, plus you don't have to deal with production even as Japan.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 28, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

If anyone's still playing WITE, I noticed that a beta patch was released this month, which fixes the Lvov pocket opening and cheesy Luftwaffe fuel airdrop tactics, and adds an option to turn the 1941-1942 First Winter rules to be really mild.

And the weekly deal is War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition for 49.99 USD and War Plan Orange for 19.99 USD.

The AI in the latter tends to navel gaze at times, but it does mean that the edge is really taken off on having to obsessively micro-manage everything, plus you don't have to deal with production even as Japan.

Huh I thought they were done updating until wite2, guess I'm giving this a run.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

quote:

War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition for 49.99 USD

This is a must buy. I consider WITP AE one of the finest videogames in all of history.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yes, I have been waiting on WPO to hit the weeklies.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I would exercise caution with WPO. It's an alright game but hasn't been patched or updated since early 2006. It doesn't include any of the changes or upgrades to the engine that came with the later WitP patches and WitP: AE. As such, it has a pretty rough surface combat system, among other things, which is a shame for a game totally focused on surface combat.

I'd still be happy to break it out for a PBEM if any of you buy it though.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Baloogan posted:

This is a must buy. I consider WITP AE one of the finest videogames in all of history.

I've got a question about how the digital version of WITP:AE works. Do you have to maintain an account at a website? Can you download unlimited times or just once? Do you download an installer you can back up yourself? Is there any kind of DRM? Basically, how close is it to being as easy as Steam.

Thanks in advance.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

pthighs posted:

I've got a question about how the digital version of WITP:AE works. Do you have to maintain an account at a website? Can you download unlimited times or just once? Do you download an installer you can back up yourself? Is there any kind of DRM? Basically, how close is it to being as easy as Steam.

Thanks in advance.

All games on matrix work the same. You buy the game and are given a serial number and a download link, you need the serial number to install the game and if you move the installation to a new computer you will need it to patch the game. Besides installing and patching the games never phone home and can be played without an internet connection forever. The download link works for iirc 3 days, after that you can email Matrix support and they will email you a new link within a day to download the game again. You can request as many links as you like for as long as you like, but each individual download link only works for a few days.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
For those of you who are interested in SPACE, Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager apparently releases tomorrow. http://www.slitherine.com/games/BA_SPM_Pc

There is no demo, no press, no pricing info, 8 pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All Matrix games are sold through Plimus. You get a DRM code in an email with a download link. The link works for 14 days. The link lets you download a setup.exe which you can save on a disk and re-install from as many times as you want, so long as you enter the DRM code each install. If you lose the setup.exe you can email Plimus and they will resend a link to you.