Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
At the time, EQ was based heavily on Dungeons and Dragons. Classes in that had xp penalties too (different xp requirements to level) and SoE refused to admit it until Velious, when it was removed. During Classic and to a lesser extent Kunark, the hybrids were clearly better than the pure classes. Shadowknights and Paladins had roughly the same HP/AC as the Warriors but could snap agro any time they wanted. Warriors had to push Taunt and hope that the mob was blue for even a chance of it working or waiting for a weapon to proc. That's why there are so many SKs on this server. Even with a 68% xp penalty for that class, when it was spread out amongst a 6 man group, that was only an 11% xp hit per person and that was a price gladly paid for superior agro management.

Starting with Kunark, the pure classes got buffed to the point where the xp penalties didn't make sense anymore and the whining shifted from the pure classes saying they were useless and unwanted in groups, to the hybrids saying they were unwanted in groups due to the xp penalties. SoE had a long history of greasing the squeaky wheel or caving to the vocal minority.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Also since group exp is based on your total experience gained, not current level, if you try to group with hybrids that are lower level than you it tends to split more evenly.

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
Grr, I was going to come back and play with you guys but I can't remember my LS password. Looks like there's no way to recover it either. Man, I had so much gear...

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I had the same problem for months, it sucked. Just keep guessing.

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747

hayden. posted:

I had the same problem for months, it sucked. Just keep guessing.

Hah, I actually got it after like 100 tries. Back as Chuy (57 Chanter)/ Gonn(24 Warrior). Now I just need a guild...

Edit: drat, when did they cap spells? I can't C2 my level 20s anymore.

Yomofo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 26, 2013

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

aparmenideanmonad posted:

This always cracked me up leveling an Iksar Monk because no one ever gave me poo poo about my penalty when I joined groups even though it's slightly worse (44%) than any ranger/bard/paladin penalty (40%) though it's got nothing on ogre SKs (61%) or Troll/Iksar SKs (68%). I know this is partially because people forget that monks have a penalty too, partially because they don't understand XP penalties at all, and partially because monks are rarely considered useless...but only a moron would call a bard useless. 9 times out of 10, a bard is the best class to add to make XP go faster if you have 5 other solid people already, and a good bard can be your puller, CCer, provide haste, mana, and some heals, and even do decent DPS on 2+ mobs pulls when charming. Even a lazy bard who just sits there AFK with manasong running is going to at least let you break even on XP in a typical group.

A bard stacking mana songs is a decent addition to a caster heavy group but in pretty much all scenarios an enchanter is a better addition to the group. I say this as a guy who loves bards, who played a bard to 60 in kunark and then on p99 and then on sleeper etc.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
In as Etish. Could use some cash for spells!

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Uh, how do you get out of the water in South Felwithe?

Apparently you have to be in first person to jump out of water. What the gently caress.

Goast fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 28, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Goast posted:

Uh, how do you get out of the water in South Felwithe?

Apparently you have to be in first person to jump out of water. What the gently caress.
You don't have to, but it's easier since you can pitch your view up/down easily with the mouse. Alternatively, shift your view up with Page Up while in third person; that'll make you climb up and out.

To this day on Live even, water is a bitch and a half to deal with. Quickly zooming into first person and navigating that way is the best way to deal with it.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Aww Yisss, ding 58. 2 more levels to go...

Any of you other new guys that haven't caught me on yet, or caught me in EC/WC, try to get to me if you still haven't been hit up for newbie stuff.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Is Monk untwinked soloing just balls? I'm a level 6 Iksar in FoB, and the only stuff I can kill are blues, which are hard to find. Even cons kill me 75% of the time.

:smith:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

iNteg posted:

Aww Yisss, ding 58. 2 more levels to go...

Any of you other new guys that haven't caught me on yet, or caught me in EC/WC, try to get to me if you still haven't been hit up for newbie stuff.

I'll take some necromancer gear if you are willing to come down to Cabilis. :smith:

Otherwise I can try to make the trip up to EC/WC. I am 14 now, so I have invisibility. Speaking of which, does invisibility work for "everything except undead" or are there a bunch of random exception mobs around the world and in various towns that are going to get me killed as an Iksar?

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
To in-game name Mase, thanks a ton! I really appreciate the newbie help!

Jebediah fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 28, 2013

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

Is Monk untwinked soloing just balls? I'm a level 6 Iksar in FoB, and the only stuff I can kill are blues, which are hard to find. Even cons kill me 75% of the time.

I've got a weapon for you if I can catch you online. Monk solo is rough til Mend is reliable or unless you have even some cheapish weapons. Fists are just awful for a long time. Even cons killing you is a part of EQ as a melee class - at least you can solo blues, an untwinked rogue can't even do that.

Siets posted:

I'll take some necromancer gear if you are willing to come down to Cabilis. :smith:

Otherwise I can try to make the trip up to EC/WC. I am 14 now, so I have invisibility. Speaking of which, does invisibility work for "everything except undead" or are there a bunch of random exception mobs around the world and in various towns that are going to get me killed as an Iksar?
Invis is pretty safe for traveling and in cities (notable exception is the outpost in OT - tons of undead NPCs/guards there - you're actually safer boating from FV as an iksar w/invis). There are plenty of non-undead that see through invis but they're mostly in dungeons/planes. When in doubt, con things!

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
There were over 1,000 users logged on last night. This really is a great server. I've been grouped in Crushbone every time I've logged in. I think I convinced my silly brother to play now as well.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Pilsner posted:

Monks are a really rough class for a first character. They are probably the most gear dependent class in the game and they have the added problem of not being able to loot without going over the weight cap.

If you want to solo, cant twink and want to play an iksar, try a necro. All the melee class's are gear dependent and can be a struggle without twinking.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
P99 Blue and Red are both currently down. I'm sitting in IRC hoping that Rogean will say it's because they're dropping Velious, but it's probably something datacenter related.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

P99 Blue and Red are both currently down. I'm sitting in IRC hoping that Rogean will say it's because they're dropping Velious, but it's probably something datacenter related.

Man, if it was velious i'd be pissed. i must get 60 before that poo poo drops. =P

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Yeah I guess Monk is a pipe dream, I also have a necro already that I'm dabbling in. With a yellow con pet up, he owns. He's a Gnome though, even though Iksars are technically better.

Have they said that Velious will come out of the blue with no long-term announcement?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

Yeah I guess Monk is a pipe dream
There's a really terrible monk epic joke lurking...

But seriously, I can hook you up with a weapon that will make things a lot easier if you are enjoying the monk aside from the difficulty killing stuff. If you still aren't digging it you can always give it back or to another goon. :)

They haven't said anything about Velious other than that it is "almost done" and that they're hoping to release it around Christmas.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Pilsner posted:

Have they said that Velious will come out of the blue with no long-term announcement?

They have not, but you never know. They don't really announce patches either.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I too have monk weapons coming out of my rear end. I remember trance sticks being the thing to have but they're so common in P99 that every alt I have has looted one. Two on my monk. If you find me online and I'm not busy, I'll see if I can get some bank space back give you one or two.

72o
Dec 14, 2007

I'm making a tool that reads the last line in the active character's log file to automatically load the map for the zone which was just entered into a GUI, but I'm having trouble finding a list of the exact lines / names of the zones in those lines when you zone in. Stuff like , "You have entered Butcherblock Mountains" or whatever I can get from memory, but others are weird, such as "You have entered The Burning Wood" (instead of "Burning Woods"). So to have the functions be more precise, I'd appreciate any help in getting a list of these lines.

Would they be in a file somewhere in the EQ files themselves, maybe?

72o
Dec 14, 2007

iNteg posted:

Man, if it was velious i'd be pissed. i must get 60 before that poo poo drops. =P

And miss out on Velketor's spider grinding? That's the best part of Velious!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

72o posted:

I'm making a tool that reads the last line in the active character's log file to automatically load the map for the zone which was just entered into a GUI, but I'm having trouble finding a list of the exact lines / names of the zones in those lines when you zone in. Stuff like , "You have entered Butcherblock Mountains" or whatever I can get from memory, but others are weird, such as "You have entered The Burning Wood" (instead of "Burning Woods"). So to have the functions be more precise, I'd appreciate any help in getting a list of these lines.

Would they be in a file somewhere in the EQ files themselves, maybe?
You can check the big zone level chart I made recently for my EQ website. I went through great pains to record the precise names of every zone.

http://www.zlizeq.com/Guides-Zone_Level_Chart

It's so fun and quirky how the zone names are all over the place, particularly with the mish-mash use of "The". It didn't really stabilize/streamline until after PoP.

72o
Dec 14, 2007

Pilsner posted:

You can check the big zone level chart I made recently for my EQ website. I went through great pains to record the precise names of every zone.

http://www.zlizeq.com/Guides-Zone_Level_Chart

It's so fun and quirky how the zone names are all over the place, particularly with the mish-mash use of "The". It didn't really stabilize/streamline until after PoP.

You're a legend.

e: Also, are you on P99 now? I guess that's why you're posting here. I decided to dust off my 45 necro after EQMac died.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Kinda, got Zliz the monk and Zliznec the necro going.

Might also soon roll a fresh 4-box on Test and level / progress hardcore with no mercs, testbuff nor twink plat/gear. I'm such a sucker for the one-man box army.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Can I install Duxa's installer without using his UI?

Cbear fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 28, 2013

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cbear posted:

Can I install Duxa's installer without using his UI?

Yes, I think you just need to uncheck it when running the installer. I did exactly this on mine.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
To use the UI you need to load the skin in-game. So just don't do that.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Best zones for a 23 mage for grouping?

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

Cbear posted:

Best zones for a 23 mage for grouping?

Probably HKK. I just adore this place!

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
If any goons that are starting out are on now, send a tell to Corovad/ Corbankva so I can give you some crap.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
In as Inyka running about as a level 5 enchanter.

So what's the status of the goon guild?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Current status: populated. We've got 4-8 people on during prime time. Ask around for an invite, most people have officer tags and I'm on almost daily at this point to do grab people and pass out goodies.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Just did a short 4 hour grind on the Orc hill in Greater Faydark.

I actually liked it. Help.

anachron
Jan 23, 2004

Inimicul posted:

I too have monk weapons coming out of my rear end. I remember trance sticks being the thing to have but they're so common in P99 that every alt I have has looted one. Two on my monk. If you find me online and I'm not busy, I'll see if I can get some bank space back give you one or two.

I could use some monk weapons, just started on the server and have a low level iksar monk. Would like to get guild tagged too. All my char names are in the spreadsheet and I'm on most evenings/late night.

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.

Goast posted:

Just did a short 4 hour grind on the Orc hill in Greater Faydark.

I actually liked it. Help.

Welcome to EverCrack. First camp is free. :getin:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jebediah posted:

There were over 1,000 users logged on last night. This really is a great server. I've been grouped in Crushbone every time I've logged in. I think I convinced my silly brother to play now as well.

What am I doing with my life?

I just logged in and immediately died in upper guk hahaha.

Meshuggah - Level 20 Bard
Ehud - Level 13 Necro

Ehud fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

So, I'm gonna need some help getting a corpse from upper guk. I can't remember the layout of the zone. When I logged in for the first time in months, I immediately died and can't tell where it happened.

Can I grant somebody corpse dragging permission?

• Locked thread