Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Local bakery started putting birthday cakes they do on Facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Spiderjelly posted:

the students are required to adopt English names.

If they're going to force people to adopt foreign names, the very least they could do is provide them with a book of baby names.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Some people take pride in their weird names.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Lotish posted:

I teach some class in an elementary class room, and saw one of the labels as Getsumani, which just turns into "Get some money" in my head.

Seems like a misspelling of the name Getsemani, which is Spanish for Gethsemane, the biblical garden in Jerusalem where Jesus and his followers prayed the night before he was crucified. :eng101:

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I once dated a stupid woman with a stupid kid.

She named her kid Galadriel.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I tangentially knew a guy named "Hymen Broch."

Yeah, that's pronounced "broke"

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

flakeloaf posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks this is nuts. You can learn pinyin in an afternoon; is the problem the Western teachers or the ones these students will eventually meet in a professional capacity?

The tonality of Chinese is difficult for many, and Mandarin has certain sounds that don't exist in English, “úCfor example. I speak Chinese, but the business people that they will deal with in their work probably won't.

quote:

I would feel awful if I called someone chink all day.

To be clear, I don't let them keep these names.

quote:

If they're going to force people to adopt foreign names, the very least they could do is provide them with a book of baby names.

But...but..I want to be creative!

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

flakeloaf posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks this is nuts. You can learn pinyin in an afternoon; is the problem the Western teachers or the ones these students will eventually meet in a professional capacity?

It seems to me to be pretty common for people to adopt "American" names when working with Americans, because it just ends up easier to say "Call me Raj" than "My name is Rajavendrakuthrapali". It seems pretty reasonable most of the time, even though it sometimes ends up with wacky names like "Pimple" and "Princess".

Also: Chinese phonology is hard if you're not used to it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

God Of Paradise posted:

I once dated a stupid woman with a stupid kid.

She named her kid Galadriel.

If my dad had his way, that would've been my name.

My mom put her foot down, so I'm named after Prince Valiant's wife instead.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Crow Jane posted:

If my dad had his way, that would've been my name.

My mom put her foot down, so I'm named after Prince Valiant's wife instead.

My parents were leaning towards Tolkien names as well. But my grandmother threatened to sever ties if they did. So instead of being named after an awesome character from an awesome series, I'm named after a saint :catholic:

:mad:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Istari posted:

My parents were leaning towards Tolkien names as well. But my grandmother threatened to sever ties if they did. So instead of being named after an awesome character from an awesome series, I'm named after a saint :catholic:

:mad:

:rolleyes: Speaking as this thread's resident unusual-name-haver, it's not all it's cracked up to be. There's something to be said for names that people can actually pronounce when they read them. I mean, you don't have to name your kid John Smith, but something like Celebrimbor is a little out there. And there are some pretty wacky saint names to, by the way. There's anything from Abanoub to Michael to Zephaniah.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Beardless posted:

:rolleyes: Speaking as this thread's resident unusual-name-haver, it's not all it's cracked up to be. There's something to be said for names that people can actually pronounce when they read them. I mean, you don't have to name your kid John Smith, but something like Celebrimbor is a little out there. And there are some pretty wacky saint names to, by the way. There's anything from Abanoub to Michael to Zephaniah.

Yeah, but I take offence at the very fact that I'm named after someone who is only known because they supposedly (read: didn't) perform miracles. It's crap, and it makes me quite angry.

And, despite the fact that my name isn't that uncommon, I still had to deal with 12 years of substitute teachers mispronouncing it, and having to spell it out 5 times before people get it right (and they still spell it wrong as often as not).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Does his name actually end there or did the person typing it just give up?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

flakeloaf posted:

Does his name actually end there or did the person typing it just give up?
I'm not typing that into google!

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Are you serious? There's really an NFL hall of famer named Dick Butkus? I mean I know I'm being a little juvenile here but come on.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

InEscape posted:

Are you serious? There's really an NFL hall of famer named Dick Butkus? I mean I know I'm being a little juvenile here but come on.

Huh, I saw a comedian (named Kermet) do a joke about that guy just this week.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Athletes with silly names?
Why, yes I have.

Those two should really get together.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Axiem posted:

It seems to me to be pretty common for people to adopt "American" names when working with Americans, because it just ends up easier to say "Call me Raj" than "My name is Rajavendrakuthrapali". It seems pretty reasonable most of the time, even though it sometimes ends up with wacky names like "Pimple" and "Princess".

Also: Chinese phonology is hard if you're not used to it.

For a while I worked at a chain of Korean dry cleaners where 90% of the employees were Korean Americans, and often they would adopt "American" names as their nicknames that they just had all the non-Korean customers call them to simplify things. Sometimes they were close phonetically to their real names, like my boss's name was Bu, and he went by Bruce (or Bill, sometimes with the right person). Some of them had nothing to do with their own names. One day one of the workers, a nice young woman I hadn't really talked much with came up to me and asked me if I knew what the name "Susan" meant, and if it was a nice name. I had to try to explain to her that most English names don't really have "meanings" behind them, and often come from other languages. I recommended she find a baby name book.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Seriously, Mormons name their kids the strangest goddamned things. Aquanetta? Really?

Weird semi-confession: when I was a kid, my mother had a coworker/friend named Aquanetta, and I heard her name enough that it still sounds more or less "normal" to me. :shobon: (Not that I'd ever use it for a kid, but it doesn't make my WOOP WOOP BULLSHIT NAME! sensors go off, if that makes any sense?) I believe the Aquanetta in question was actually black and not Mormon, and she'd be in her 60's now, which if Google is to believed would make her older than Aqua Net hairspray. Still, talk about a name that's aged poorly...

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

Choco1980 posted:

I had to try to explain to her that most English names don't really have "meanings" behind them, and often come from other languages. I recommended she find a baby name book.

:eng101:

"Susan" is the diminutive, English derivation of the name "Susannah", which in turn is the Anglicisation of the Greek name "Sousannah", which is in turn the Greek version of the Hebrew name "Shoshannah", meaning "lily/rose" (the word it comes from, "shoshan", is interchangeable). So because many English names do come from other countries, they're actually more likely to have meanings, even if that meaning is something as simple as "son of Greg" or "born on the pine-covered hill".

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
While that's really interesting, in a sociolinguistics sense it's generally not true. I mean, yes, they can be translated to mean things, but parents are (generally) picking names based on how it sounds, family history, friends, celebrities, etc. Few parents give their kids names associated with semantic meanings because they want that meaning to represent their child. Certainly not names like "Susan" which has undergone so much semantic bleaching (which isn't reaaaaally the right term for this but it's close enough) that it just means "a first name" to almost everyone.

Tldr there's a difference between names having meanings you can look up and names activating nodes associated with those meanings. Just like "nematode" ("nemata", 'thread' + "-ode", 'resembling') doesn't really mean "threadlike" to most people, it's just a type of worm.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Vadun posted:

Local bakery started putting birthday cakes they do on Facebook

Do you live in Anchorage by any chance? My cousin's second son is named Jaxson, spelled just like that. Their eldest is named Caele (pronounced "kale" like the vegetable), so bad news on all fronts.

EDIT: Wait, no, it's spelled Jaxon. Still. Not awesome that there are more badly spelled Jacksons about.

ButWhatIf has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Oct 25, 2013

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Jonathan. I haven't met one yet that wasn't a cowardly shithead

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lol Robert!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tonight I waited a table for one David Nyygaa. Calling out that I had a table ready for Mr. Nyygaa and his party was pretty funny.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The La-a and Absidee myths have made it to the UK, according to peopke I met tonight. gently caress.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

bringmyfishback posted:

The La-a and Absidee myths have made it to the UK, according to peopke I met tonight. gently caress.

They've been here a while, I think. I've definitely heard it before, though probably only once or twice.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
But what about Syphilis, Orangello and Lemonjello?

And this guy?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Well, really, what can you do if it's already on his birth certificate and other documents?

(And, unfortunate pun aside, what kind of rear end in a top hat parent puts "peacock" in their kid's name anyway?)

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Oct 27, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sham bam bamina! posted:

(And, unfortunate pun aside, what kind of rear end in a top hat parent puts "peacock" in their kid's name anyway?)

It can be a surname.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It can be a surname.
Whoops, looks like I misread it. I thought that it was his middle name.

Telemarchitect
Oct 1, 2009

TOUCH THE KNOB
Channel surfing doubletake

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I certainly am filled with discomfort looking at her, that's for sure.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I had a Phat Ho write a check to me once when I was working retail

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
I haven't gone all the way back in the thread to see if anyone has posted some of the legit dumb names people have given their children here in New Zealand:
Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii
Number 16 Bus Shelter
Midnight Chardonnay

I've never met these children personally, but I have no reason to believe these names aren't real.

Speaking of real, I remember a news piece being done several years back about a couple fighting for the right to name their son 4Real (pron. 'for real') but it got rejected since you're not allowed to have numerals in a name.

I also have a friend named Justice which in and of itself is not a hugely weird name, but it's currently a banned name here in NZ, since 'Justice' is a title. She was lucky enough to be named before the ban.

There was a girl at my high school called Aleckz, pron. 'Alex'. Filipinos have a habit of naming their kids fairly odd names. Another girl's name is Christienne, pron. 'Christian', and yet another girl's name is Chavez, just like Hugo Chavez. My Filipino aunty fell into the common obsession of naming all your children starting with the same letter, so my cousins are Kenneth, Karen, Kaiser, and Karlo.

For a bonus, one of my friends in primary school said on several occasions that it would be cool to have a son called Magnetism.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Grading papers the other day, I ran into a Kristyonna. She did not pass the quiz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

I had a Phat Ho write a check to me once when I was working retail
That's a sentence which probably shouldn't be spoken out loud.