Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
the english dub of nausica features patrick stewart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

it's from gulliver's travels
unless it's a joke like it was in gulliver's travels it's still fukken terrible

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

angry_keebler posted:

hello i too also only purchase media when the participants have political and social worldviews that exactly mirror my own and speaking of movies i never watch any movie unless i can vet every actor's personal life to make sure they measure up to my standards here's a list of all of the shows that i can watch because absolutely none of the people involved with them are terrible shitheads

please help add to this list of morally pure entertainment

ender's game, the work itself, is easily read as an apologia for hitler. it is a novel that endorses genocide

so yes, there are certain political and social worldviews i find unacceptable in popular fiction. for instance, accepting genocide as a reasonable thing that people occasionally do

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

raruler posted:

what's the over/under on seeing Ender's Game if you think Card is a horrible poo poo heel

I want to see it because sci fi movies are sorta a rare breed these days

on the other hand, I do not relish the idea of OSC getting more money from me

ender's game is a terrible novel that should be erased from memory. hopefully the movie will be such a bad adaptation it shares nothing but the title.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

unless it's a joke like it was in gulliver's travels it's still fukken terrible

why

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Glorgnole posted:

plot-critical naked preteen shower death match

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ender's game, the work itself, is easily read as an apologia for hitler. it is a novel that endorses genocide

so yes, there are certain political and social worldviews i find unacceptable in popular fiction. for instance, accepting genocide as a reasonable thing that people occasionally do

eh, that one internet essay got popular a few years ago. it's a valid reading but a pretty out there one. the surface plot is about children being manipulated into unknowingly commiting war crimes. card is a major idiot these days but enders game doesn't endorse genocide

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Amethyst posted:

eh, that one internet essay got popular a few years ago. it's a valid reading but a pretty out there one. the surface plot is about children being manipulated into unknowingly commiting war crimes. card is a major idiot these days but enders game doesn't endorse genocide

i remember him saying that the genocide will be portrayed as a good thing in the film, i think

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

i remember him saying that the genocide will be portrayed as a good thing in the film, i think

hahah what

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i mean, that analysis uses this as evidence that card advocates genocide:

quote:

If one of us has to be destroyed, let’s make drat sure we’re the ones alive at the end. Our genes won’t let us decide any other way. Nature can’t evolve a species that hasn’t a will to survive…. So if we can, we’ll kill every last one of the buggers, and if they can they’ll kill every last one of us.

completely ignoring the fact that this is dialogue from the villain

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Amethyst posted:

dude

it's not "out there." let's start with the genocide part. at what point is the genocide ever portrayed in a light other than justified?

the generals who mislead the children are portrayed in a neutral light. ender, who savagely, brutally beats and murders other children, is portrayed as a victim who had to beat and murder others. when genocide happens, no one is really to blame because ender is a little bit sorry

when genocide is mournful-but-necessary because everyone believed it was necessary, it's a really short leap to defending the holocaust. it's not an "out there" reading. i mean holy gently caress the surface plot is "genocide is ok"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dude

it's not "out there." let's start with the genocide part. at what point is the genocide ever portrayed in a light other than justified?

the generals who mislead the children are portrayed in a neutral light. ender, who savagely, brutally beats and murders other children, is portrayed as a victim who had to beat and murder others. when genocide happens, no one is really to blame because ender is a little bit sorry

when genocide is mournful-but-necessary because everyone believed it was necessary, it's a really short leap to defending the holocaust. it's not an "out there" reading. i mean holy gently caress the surface plot is "genocide is ok"

the generals are not portrayed in a neutral light.

i don't see how you could read a novel centered completely around indoctrination, manipulation, and childhood innocence corrupted by fashist adult realipolitik and think it advocates any of those things

The entire ending to the novel is ender leading a new pacifist philosophy as a way to seek redemption for our racial sins ffs

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
how were the subsequent ender books i only read ender game (on a airplane)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Amethyst posted:

the generals are not portrayed in a neutral light.

i don't see how you could read a novel centered completely around indoctrination, manipulation, and childhood innocence corrupted by fashist adult realipolitik and think it advocates any of those things

The entire ending to the novel is ender leading a new pacifist philosophy as a way to seek redemption for our racial sins ffs

well as a social justice warrior I don't like card therefore both he and ender are hilters.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

you are also completely ignoring the political context the book was written in.

a far more conventional reading of the novel is that the bugs are communists, and that the world has convinced itself that a war of total destruction is natural.

the book explores the horrific consequences of that belief and refutes them with a philosophy of empathy

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Shaggar posted:

well as a social justice warrior I don't like card therefore both he and ender are hilters.
the real reason the hitler reading got so popular

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the "ender = hitler" argument doesn't hold much water, but there's a better essay that discusses why ender's game makes some really awful moral assertions: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~tenshi/Killer_000.htm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Amethyst posted:

you are also completely ignoring the political context the book was written in.

a far more conventional reading of the novel is that the bugs are communists, and that the world has convinced itself that a war of total destruction is natural.

the book explores the horrific consequences of that belief and refutes them with a philosophy of empathy

at what point do they explore any consequences?

again, this is a book about a child who savagely beats other children to death. and the omniscient narrator praises him for it

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Smythe posted:

how were the subsequent ender books i only read ender game (on a airplane)

i didnt read them but they're supposed to be bad. like rilly, rilly, rilly bad.

dune prequel bad.

also lol sci-fi thread gettin' double teamed by the stymies

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at what point do they explore any consequences?

quote:

this is a book about a child who savagely beats other children to death.

um

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

the "ender = hitler" argument doesn't hold much water, but there's a better essay that discusses why ender's game makes some really awful moral assertions: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~tenshi/Killer_000.htm

there are a thousand of these essays because it is a book that pardons genocide

apparently it is a bridge to far to link pardoning genocide to a famous and terrible genocide with current political relevance.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Can-O-Raid posted:

also lol sci-fi thread gettin' double teamed by the stymies

yeah i have finally done the needful and added blue stymie to my ignore list

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah i have finally done the needful and added blue stymie to my ignore list

lol what the hell man? A reasoned debate about a textual interpretation of a novel gets you all worked up?

someone quote this so he sees it TIA

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Amethyst posted:

lol what the hell man? A reasoned debate about a textual interpretation of a novel gets you all worked up?

tumblr was very specific about this and I cant break stride.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

we didn't even go into the fact that the novel is a classic dystopia. the very first page, iirc, features an electrical device attached to a five year old's nervous system to moderate his behavior

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i thot the ender genocide was more liek the cold wars xtreme conclusion rather than the holocaust / other genocide

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Smythe posted:

i thot the ender genocide was more liek the cold wars xtreme conclusion rather than the holocaust / other genocide

yeah, that makes more sense IMO, especially considering that it was written in 1985

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I didn't think Ender's game was that good, and it some pretty weird stuff in it to boot

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Amethyst posted:

we didn't even go into the fact that the novel is a classic dystopia. the very first page, iirc, features an electrical device attached to a five year old's nervous system to moderate his behavior

I wonder if sjws have a base rejection of the possibility of evil government that helps them believe its 100% on ender. the future will always be better for the downtrodden and all central authority will be kind and just as in star trek so its unbelievable they would be bad unless he, as hilter, led them astray.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

yeah the whole novel is deeply technophobic. it's interesting in comparison to 80s techno-thriller tom clancy stuff and utopian sci fi

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

there is an entire sub-plot where ender finds solace in a minecraft like immersive video game, only to later discover that it was yet another monitoring and manipulation tool of his overlords

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Amethyst posted:

there is an entire sub-plot where ender finds solace in a minecraft like immersive video game, only to later discover that it was yet another monitoring and manipulation tool of his overlords

dota is training 20 somethings for an upcoming race war against the former soviet states and south america

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

dota is training 20 somethings for an upcoming race war against the former soviet states and south america

it sounds wacky and :tinfoil: but on the other hand the US army literally made a video game as a recruitment tool

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

u can start referring to me as general smythe, as its inevitable

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Amethyst posted:

it sounds wacky and :tinfoil: but on the other hand the US army literally made a video game as a recruitment tool

it sucked so bad too lol

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Amethyst posted:

Real russians are actually very easy going and excellent at Dota. Just look at Dendi. The ones you meet in matchmmaking are operating from a bunker under the appalachan mountains.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

didnt actually read the book did you?

both stymies were right

hell neither of them are even being assholes this time

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
in other news i read a fire upon the deep as was suggested earlier in the thread and it was really good and i liked it and it was some real nice modern sci fi wait WHEN WAS THIS PUBLISHED?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

usenet isn't modern. hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
still better than most sci fi from that era where everything is the same except we have space wizards now

• Locked thread