Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Delacroix posted:

I've just started playing this game, it's pretty neat when you have a decent matchup. It has a little of depth to it with tuning but I've only unlocked a few points so far. Having to buy mech ranks quickly depletes your credits and weapons are expensive enough that I appreciate the tech for how it churns out MVPs. I can see where your money can go when internals and equipment are per mech unless you grind out a mech to max.

I just wish the pilot level icons in debrief or killscreens actually tell what rank they are. It's utterly useless if you need to leave a server to look up their icon on the pilot chart and determine they were 15 levels above you. The game tells if you you're joining a server way above your rank but not if some jackass joins the server and ruins a match full of low levels.

Generally, a 15 level spread should not happen. As I understand, match making will put you with people who are +/- 8 from your level. There are stretches that occur and party dynamics can change things but those advantages are pretty marginal. A bigger advantage would be found in a equal leveled player who bought a Raider and understands it compared to someone eight levels higher than you who bought nothing. That said, none of the tools at your disposal are any weaker. Fred can win against anybody, and smart play makes all the difference. Internals, items and tuning points help but they alone cannot make up the difference. Please don't get discouraged, there is no set-up which better positioning, accuracy and teamwork cannot beat. A lot of mechs I am leveling I haven't bought items or internals for and they still work fine.

I agree that memorizing rank icons though is a pain in the rear end and numbers would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

e: @ Delacroix
I don't think the game tells you this at any point but you get a one-time XP boost code for being a noob. I think it's NEWRECRUIT and you should use it when you'll be able to put in a bunch of hours like over a weekend, it makes leveling go a lot faster.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Hypha posted:

Generally, a 15 level spread should not happen. As I understand, match making will put you with people who are +/- 8 from your level. There are stretches that occur and party dynamics can change things but those advantages are pretty marginal. A bigger advantage would be found in a equal leveled player who bought a Raider and understands it compared to someone eight levels higher than you who bought nothing. That said, none of the tools at your disposal are any weaker. Fred can win against anybody, and smart play makes all the difference. Internals, items and tuning points help but they alone cannot make up the difference. Please don't get discouraged, there is no set-up which better positioning, accuracy and teamwork cannot beat. A lot of mechs I am leveling I haven't bought items or internals for and they still work fine.

I agree that memorizing rank icons though is a pain in the rear end and numbers would be nice.

I used server browser to find games and sort using average pilot level. The problem is that there is nothing to stop a rank 23 player from joining a match where the average rank is 9. I know now but it was a rude awakening to find out how nasty a fully kitted out beserker with a vulcan D can be. The bottom line is that in a server full of newbies, a person who can capitalize on nonexistent teamwork can simply dominate the game. It's more of the same that can happen in battlefield without the consolation that in battlefield you can simply ignore a pubstar (for lack of better word).

I'll still give the game a shot because other than the absence of teamswitching or a tangible autobalance system, I can see the game being really fun.

Chard posted:

I don't think the game tells you this at any point but you get a one-time XP boost code for being a noob. I think it's NEWRECRUIT and you should use it when you'll be able to put in a bunch of hours like over a weekend, it makes leveling go a lot faster.

Thanks for this, I'll check it out.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Delacroix posted:

I used server browser to find games and sort using average pilot level. The problem is that there is nothing to stop a rank 23 player from joining a match where the average rank is 9.

No, it does. I'm teaching someone to play as a 27ish pilot and I can't get anywhere near his games.

Also, does anyone know how the shield that sticks to a mech works? I have all 3 levels of shield and all of them just seem to hit the ground.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Bacon Hat posted:

Also, does anyone know how the shield that sticks to a mech works? I have all 3 levels of shield and all of them just seem to hit the ground.

I usually just close into hugging range and fire the shield at my teammate, it has always worked for me that way.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Chard posted:

The game does tell you, through the welcome email that they send out when you register your username. It is, as far as I remember, NEWRECRUIT and it gives you three full days of double XP time. That was enough for me to jump from level 0 to level 15, and I didn't play all that much over those three days.

Delacroix posted:

I used server browser to find games and sort using average pilot level. The problem is that there is nothing to stop a rank 23 player from joining a match where the average rank is 9. I know now but it was a rude awakening to find out how nasty a fully kitted out beserker with a vulcan D can be. The bottom line is that in a server full of newbies, a person who can capitalize on nonexistent teamwork can simply dominate the game. It's more of the same that can happen in battlefield without the consolation that in battlefield you can simply ignore a pubstar (for lack of better word).

I'll still give the game a shot because other than the absence of teamswitching or a tangible autobalance system, I can see the game being really fun.

Thanks for this, I'll check it out.

The one thing to keep in mind is that the pilot level is actually not that big of an indicator of skill. All it gives the player is a couple extra tuning points. I just started playing the game and I still tend to hold my own against players that are much higher level than me. What you should be doing is finding a specific mech that fits your play style and playing with some of the more experienced guys. In Hawken, knowing the maps like the back of your hand and knowing your mechs strengths/weaknesses and playing to them are much more important than most things. Sure, you'll occasionally run into some amazing god-like player who just wrecks you non-stop, but more often than not it's just the guy with the better positioning that will win. I've played some games with Hypha and not only was I able to learn some cool things about Missile assault, but it was just generally a good time as well.

I said the same thing on the Hawken boards when people complain about the autobalance, but you just shouldn't really pay too much attention to pilot level. The game has a relatively small player base at the moment, so even if the autobalance is working perfectly (and who's to say that it isn't?) there just aren't enough players to make every game perfectly segregated in terms of player level. If someone higher level than you joins the game and he's on the other team, well just make sure you move in a group. More often than not two lower level mechs can usually scare off or destroy a single mech, unless that player is just a really good A/B class player. If he's on your team? Stick with him and learn what he does.

Not to reiterate what I've been saying all over the place, but consider sticking with the CR-T until you max him out. That little bastard is amazingly flexible, and you'll learn a lot of good habits playing him. He's got enough armor to be fairly tough in a fight, but enough speed to flank and move around. Unless you explicitly plan on playing C classes you can't go wrong learning from Fred. If you want to play the big 'ole fatties, then get into the Brawler ASAP.

Bacon Hat posted:

I basically get as close as possible and shoot it at them. I've gotten it to work pretty regularly, but you gotta be much closer than you think. I usually just pop it on people who are repairing near the AA when in siege, or on C class mechs when pushing a silo in missile assault.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Thanks for an awesome evening of brobots, Hypha and Chard. Always play with bros for max enjoyment. Just add every goon in the OP and roll with anyone.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

:roboluv::respek::mitt:

Sorry I couldn't stick around longer, it was fun while it lasted.

Hawken is way more fun playing with someone you know, even if you don't have mics. It just makes the round matter more and that rocks.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
After getting a PC that can handle the game and ramp up the graphics, I'm totally in love with Hawken again. I generally play an hour or two a day if possible. My name there is SigmaOne.

Wouldn't mind buddying up with some goons, I like to support others by watching everyone's backs. If it looks like a win is in the bag, I'll switch from my CRT to a Beserker to run around and confuse the enemy's flanks.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The developers have posted a new video teasing at the upcoming mech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXFfKpX8308

It's a B class suspected to be the Predator referenced in INI files for a while, expected to have a new kind of EOC style weapon, though the rest of its weapons are currently unknown.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

It's a B class suspected to be the Predator referenced in INI files for a while, expected to have a new kind of EOC style weapon, though the rest of its weapons are currently unknown.

Definitely a cool little teaser, wonder what we'll have to do to unlock him?

Worth noting that there is a coming double XP weekend, the 11th-14th, so time to get in! I'll be dumping some of my MC on a day or three of double, which will let me have quad XP.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Double XP Weekend!

TheQuad
Jan 16, 2009

Calidus posted:

Double XP Weekend!

I'm gonna use the 3-day XP booster code for being in the community playtest to make it a Quadruple XP Weekend. :getin:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Part 2 of the dev/communit questions has been posted.
https://community.playhawken.com/topic/28490-communitydeveloper-qa-answers-pt-2/

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

gently caress berserkers. I finally got serious about playing this game again and matchmaking pits me nonstop against rank 30 players in vulcan berserkers that press spacebar and receive an instant win. You can't fly up to deal with berserkers, that just puts you at point-blank range to a Vulcan! You can't run from berserkers, they're faster than scouts and raiders! Who though making the berserker an unkillable unhittable lightspeed assassin would be a good idea?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

YellerBill posted:

gently caress berserkers. I finally got serious about playing this game again and matchmaking pits me nonstop against rank 30 players in vulcan berserkers that press spacebar and receive an instant win. You can't fly up to deal with berserkers, that just puts you at point-blank range to a Vulcan! You can't run from berserkers, they're faster than scouts and raiders! Who though making the berserker an unkillable unhittable lightspeed assassin would be a good idea?

I've had no problem dealing with berserkers, even the smart ones that can maneuver in the air and with speed. It's a matter of understanding the weaknesses and strengths of your mech. To be fair, you need to be able to make critical meat shots with your secondary against them, so my biggest piece of advice would be to concentrate on your aim, otherwise you'll fall behind because your big bursty secondary damage is meaningless against their "higher ground," as it were.

Edit: for context, I pretty much play raider all the time.

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 12, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

YellerBill posted:

I dunno if the Bruiser is just a counter to the Berserker but I find that e side-dashing while they're in the air tends to make short work of them, especially if you can side dash so that you're shooting their flank. What mechs are you using?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Improbable Lobster posted:

I dunno if the Bruiser is just a counter to the Berserker but I find that e side-dashing while they're in the air tends to make short work of them, especially if you can side dash so that you're shooting their flank. What mechs are you using?

Namely my Scout, after I gave up on trying to learn to play Tech with 'zerkers swarming everywhere.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Scout isn't really a fighter, is it? IIRC it's fast and has good radar, but Berserkers kind of naturally prey on it because they're fast enough to keep up and they've got heavier guns (especially with the active). I mean, it should be pretty close if you get the jump on them (you have radar and they don't I think) and you can airburst your TOW's properly, but you're picking a specialized mech.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

NovemberMike posted:

Scout isn't really a fighter, is it? IIRC it's fast and has good radar, but Berserkers kind of naturally prey on it because they're fast enough to keep up and they've got heavier guns (especially with the active). I mean, it should be pretty close if you get the jump on them (you have radar and they don't I think) and you can airburst your TOW's properly, but you're picking a specialized mech.

A scout can have fantastic burst with a proper TOW direct hit and if they're using the flak cannon. It's not fair to say that a properly played scout won't defeat a well played berserker, but a berserker certainly has more tools to do more overall damage.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

I haven't had much of a problem with berserkers, but my weak point is dealing with hellfires. I can't remember the name of the B class mech with hellfires, but man that guy wrecks my day whenever I fight against them. It could be because of my ping (usually 300-400 range), but it seems that I can never really dodge the bastards and getting dinged for a good chunk of hp every couple seconds is hard to get used to.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Yesssssssssssssssssss its patrick :getin:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

USMC_Karl posted:

I haven't had much of a problem with berserkers, but my weak point is dealing with hellfires. I can't remember the name of the B class mech with hellfires, but man that guy wrecks my day whenever I fight against them. It could be because of my ping (usually 300-400 range), but it seems that I can never really dodge the bastards and getting dinged for a good chunk of hp every couple seconds is hard to get used to.

That would be the Bruiser, aka Best Mech. While I don't have a solution to your ping, I find that when I'm engaged at long range or very close range the Hellfires become ineffective and/or hard to aim/easy to dodge.

Speaking of Bruisers, how are people tuning theirs? I'm mostly focused on speed and armour, but the presence of Air Dynamics makes me feel like I should be taking advantage of it with internals.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I'll be playing a bit this weekend, my IGN is Delakwah but I'll probably be spending most of the time lamenting how pubbies underappreciate protecting their techs.

e: I'm beginning to form the impression that the beserker is the mech that moronic pubbies gravitate towards (aside from those heavies who use deploy). They fail to utilize its mobility and when I rush to use amplification to keep them in the fight, they just run away leaving me to fight whoever they left at 80%. It's almost a revolving door skit when pubbies encounter a heavier mech armed with a vulcan.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 12, 2013

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Yeah, i get a lot of pubbie berserkers trying to just slug it out against my raider. On the plus side they taught me not to do that when playing berserker myself, thanks pubbies :v:

Also i started playing relatively regularly again so i wouldn't mind being added to the list. I'm Bistromatic ingame too and EU.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

YellerBill posted:

I totally feel your pain. Against dominating berzerkers, I have fallen back hard on the Brawler. Just played a team death-match game actually with TheQuad that had one. He was running with an air dodge, max air mobility probably and item slots full of bombs. If I approached him with a vanguard, he would take me apart before I got through a quarter of his armor. He would fly over pubbies and vaporize them. The flak cannon though, was very effective since he could not hide and it cycles faster than the air dodge cooldown. As long as I could hit him with a piece of the tow missile, make every flak shot count and dodge his nukes and a few missiles, he was in trouble. I rarely killed the guy but my presence was enough to stop the pubbie strafing runs and he paid dearly if he tried. The team composition was also excellent, TheQuad was an excellent tech and rocketeers and reapers to stop that berzerker from picking me off at range. Other pubbies on his team tried to emulate his style, and without the same positional awareness or the air dodge, they got chewed up quickly. All I did that game, in my mind, was get shot at and shoot flying lights but it did stop Monty Python's Flying circus and we did win the game.

I swear, nothing shuts down lights quite like a Brawler. It still just increases the margin of error though in the game of never miss and never get hit. Why the hell can you put an H.E charge and a detonator on the same mech? That is raw fuckoffium right there.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
If someone wants to hover in the air and fight you, just try very hard to stay directly under and behind. It's disorienting, but a boost and immediate 180 gives you some free hits. Their gun, even a Vulcan, isn't doing anything awesome for damage and if you can prevent good TOW shots you are safe.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
It seems like everyone and their mother is running around with grenade and detonator now.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Why run your heat meter up when you can just tap R twice and drop a TOW/whatever in someone's face near-instantaneously? Burst damage is a very scary thing, and has made my Rocketeering even more frightening. EOC + Hellfire was already scary, and now it's a death sentence for A and B class mechs.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I apologize if posting screenshots is e-peen but there were two matches that almost compensates for the beserker explosive spam plaguing the game recently.

The best match I've had was a turnaround siege fight. There were useless rocketeers staying back taking shots at the enemy battleship instead of capping the AA which dragged us down to 1045-3000 until I started ordering the team in chat. We eventually got the upperhand when the dumbest pubbie (had 81 score for the best part of 25 minutes) was replaced and the enemy team started using heavy mechs.

Turn tables achievement unlocked. :toot:

I also had a TDM match that was resolved by score since both teams were tied in kills.

I'm finding most of the maps are best suited for missile assault or siege, since Origin and Uptown have chokepoints that attract pubbies afar to throw themselves into. Having a single competent tech can break up a match with two equally inept teams from what I can tell since it's difficult to corral people away from bad positions. I just want to level up a bruiser!

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Origin and Uptown really are the worst maps for team dm since the fighting degenerates into a slugging match at a single point. Last Eco and Frontline (the really open map, not the city one) are by far my favorite team dm maps.

e: Holy balls this game really has become a berserker/infiltrator + grenade/detonator-fest. A bruiser with 800+ hp and ability active just gets vaporized.

mirarant fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 16, 2013

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I wish you could respawn close to your team somehow. As team members die, we get scattered all over the map. I often get killed before I can get back to the team again.

Also, I constantly get into a fight with support around me, but suddenly my team members vanish, leaving me helpless and wondering where everybody went. In order to improve situational awareness, I would love to have the ability to "tag" or "lock" a friendly team member with some kind of HUD symbol, that would help me keep close, alert me at a certain separation distance, and track them when they run away. I constantly find myself fleeing with 3-4 bloodthirsty enemies on my tail, trying to get back to friendly team members for support.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

A preview video has been released showing off a bunch of content from the upcoming patch (It's coming tomorrow!)

Still no patch notes, but this video shows off the new co-op bot destruction game mode, and the new mech, as well as a few other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBrBkUoL4Y0

LiquidFusion
Feb 11, 2004
Ezra < Me < Jake

A preview video has been released showing off a bunch of content from the upcoming patch (It's coming tomorrow!)

Still no patch notes, but this video shows off the new co-op bot destruction game mode, and the new mech, as well as a few other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBrBkUoL4Y0

Ghost drone best drone.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

"Hey guys I'm just going to utterly blind you, spam remote mines everywhere, literally go invisible, and then snipe you from around a tiny corner, OK"? :jerkbag: This is some truly OP garbage.

Oh yay and the Bruiser got a nerf, now I can spend even longer grinding through levels on Worst Mech Hands Down so I can get the last one.

Also the YT video is making GBS threads the bed at anything above 360; could be on my end I guess, unless anyone else is having issues?

.... I'm probably still going to be that guy who drops cash on a BOO :cripes:

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The youtube video stuttering is probably on your end.

In the meantime, full patch notes have arrived!

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

OH HELL YES :hawaaaafap:

A repair torch nerf! Praise be to the devs!

No, really, this is exactly what I wanted to see done to it, with the whole "reduced effectiveness when taking damage" thing. You guys are really hitting the nail on the head with your balance changes lately :cheers:

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Can't wait to chain the ISM and EMP.

I love how the dev response to EOC balance is a mech with two EOCs.

I've been thinking about turret mode lately, and to make it a really interesting option is to give it basically up damage reduction significantly and give all C classes a moderate health regen. Class bonuses to turret mode like auto hellfire lock, and increased explosion damage/radius largely remain the same. Brawler and Cupcake can get a bonus to heat, either quicker OH recovery or less overall heat generation. Hell, a healing/effect recovery(dispel EMP/Redox debuff, ect) aura might not be out of place.

Presto, you've just turned C classes into a daunting mobile bunker that will require teamwork and tactics to overcome. Slightly reduce mobility and turn rate in turret mode, give the ability a longer time to set up and a 45-60 second cooldown between transformations.

Get a C class on a point, and it turns anyone attacking it into the allied forces on D-Day.

C classes should be much more vulnerable from the rear, however. Flanking the bunker should allow a team attacking from multiple directions to overwhelm it alarmingly easily.

Or I could be terribly wrong for a whole lot of reasons!

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Pseudophile posted:

C classes should be much more vulnerable from the rear, however. Flanking the bunker should allow a team attacking from multiple directions to overwhelm it alarmingly easily.

Some pretty sexy ideas in general in this post. However, here in particular, when in turret mode C classes already take an additional 50% damage from the rear, which is very easy considering how slowly they turn, on top of the nerf to turn speed coming. Even when they're backed up against a wall, if you shoot explosives at the wall just above them, you get the bonus damage. It's kinda silly how quickly they go down if you get behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFusion
Feb 11, 2004
Ezra < Me < Jake

Some pretty sexy ideas in general in this post. However, here in particular, when in turret mode C classes already take an additional 50% damage from the rear, which is very easy considering how slowly they turn, on top of the nerf to turn speed coming. Even when they're backed up against a wall, if you shoot explosives at the wall just above them, you get the bonus damage. It's kinda silly how quickly they go down if you get behind them.

Only the vanguard takes +50% from the rear.

• Locked thread