Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

chunkles posted:

Reminds me of Maserati, actually.
Yeah, now that you mention it, it's kinda like a hybrid of those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I am... extremely "meh" about this news. I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't really like Mogwai. I like most of the Hawk Is Howling but their other stuff is mostly pretty boring for me :shrug: the only thing I liked from Hardcore was White Noise.

I wish Jakob would hurry up already with their announcements :(

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

'Young Team' is actually called 'Mogwai Young Team'. Mind blown.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hardcore Will Never Die was really boring after the first listen so hopefully this is an improvement.

You're Lionel Ritchie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

david puddy posted:

I am... extremely "meh" about this news. I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't really like Mogwai. I like most of the Hawk Is Howling but their other stuff is mostly pretty boring for me :shrug: the only thing I liked from Hardcore was White Noise.
You're a fan of post-rock but don't like stuff like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6wJiweByng
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrXwXuhRo9Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePd56kn2ud4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cddprg-YwXQ

I mean, if not, that's cool, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I've just never heard anyone who has listened to Mogwai say they don't like them, especially fans of the genre.

Also, the B-Side of the Mexican Grand Prix single, Slight Domestic, is one of the best tracks from the Hardcore Will Never Die sessions, which is full of tracks I really like. Do you not like this one either? Just wondering!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua-tqLd7yqk

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

You're a fan of post-rock but don't like stuff like this?

I mean, if not, that's cool, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I've just never heard anyone who has listened to Mogwai say they don't like them, especially fans of the genre.

Also, the B-Side of the Mexican Grand Prix single, Slight Domestic, is one of the best tracks from the Hardcore Will Never Die sessions, which is full of tracks I really like. Do you not like this one either? Just wondering!

I don't dislike them or anything, I just don't think they're as interesting as some other bands. I have all their CDs and listen to the songs if they come up on shuffle and stuff, I just think they're a bit overrated.

All the songs you linked (except the last one, I liked that) are the style that I don't really like (kinda loud, predictable, weird sort of electronic elements I guess? I dunno, I have trouble vocalising my preferences when it comes to music). My favourite Mogwai songs are Thank You Space Expert, I'm Jim Morrison I'm Dead, Golden Porsche and Scotland's Shame. I just prefer the chiller stuff I guess.

\/ yay

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 29, 2013

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I'm pretty much with you, Puddy. Mogwai at their best just aren't hugely interesting to me.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
It's kind of an odd track. 3:00 is too much like old timey video game music, then the bass cuts in and I'm okay with it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, so I listened to the new I Am Waiting For You Last Summer album. It's good, but it's definitely no Edge Party. Stylistically, it's pretty different from Edge Party. On Edge Party, I love every track, whereas on this one, there are some amazing tracks but then there are also some tracks I don't really feel anything for. They're not bad I guess, just not all that good either.

It's pretty impressive that they put out both of these albums in one year, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Mogwai are one of the few post-rock bands that have managed to keep their albums fresh and exciting for more than 5 years or so. Hardcore Will Never Die was definitely my favorite since Mr. Beast and those lads always try something cool.

"Mexican Grand Prix" was basically the best song Trans Am never wrote so I'm pretty psyched.

edit: The description for that Silver Mt. Zion movie is indeed terrible but there's no way I won't watch it a million times because I love them

precision fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 29, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Not sure if this was mentioned in here already, but This Will Destroy You released a double album, live in Reykjavik, Iceland. There's 11 tracks that span their entire discography, and most of their best are on here.
    1) A Three Legged Workhorse
    2) There Are Some Remedies Worse Than The Disease
    3) Black Dunes
    4) Burial On The Presidio Banks
    5) Glass Realms
    6) Communal Blood
    7) Quiet
    8) They Move On Tracks Of Never Ending Light
    9) Little Smoke
    10) The Mighty Rio Grande
    11) Threads
You can stream the whole thing here or buy it here for $7.

It sounds absolutely massive, and I wasn't a big fan of Tunnel Blanket when I first heard it but the songs on here from Tunnel Blanket sound loving amazing, so either I'm gonna have to give that album another shot or they just sound way better live than on the album.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Russian circles, bitch! (new album released)

http://russiancircles.bandcamp.com/album/memorial

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

It sounds absolutely massive, and I wasn't a big fan of Tunnel Blanket when I first heard it but the songs on here from Tunnel Blanket sound loving amazing, so either I'm gonna have to give that album another shot or they just sound way better live than on the album.

I loved Tunnel Blanket already but you're totally right. Little Smoke is especially amazing live. Just when you think it couldn't get any louder they add ANOTHER layer of noise on top of it. I don't really like the live album all that much which is weird, but I saw them play almost exactly the same set (minus The Mighty Rio Grande :() in March and it was one of the best gigs I've been to.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Oh man that album is out all ready?!

It really is a great track list, can't wait to give it a run through when I get home.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Russian circles, bitch! (new album released)

http://russiancircles.bandcamp.com/album/memorial

I quite like this album, even if it is a bit too short. However, I am really irritated by the drum flub on Deficit (at 4:33 if you're interested). The drummer is amazing, I can't understand why they didn't just re-record that bit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Between "Praise Be Man" and now "Memorial", I want a whole album of slow/soft songs from them. The heavy stuff is still good but to be honest it feels a little predictable by now.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Yep, ASIWYFA loving killed it live. Translates really well to a live setting. Highly recommend.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Explosions in the Sky played in our country (Philippines) last night and gently caress, it really is something that you need to experience at least once in your life. There's nothing quite like it. It was a small, enclosed venue (which was sadly half full) similar to that hangar thing where Jesse Pinkman works as a slave cook, so the noise they make just bounces around and pounds you twice as hard.

Anyway, they ran out of shirts very quickly and one of the designs had this cool dog family of sorts. I was just wondering if anyone can oblige me where to get it?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Those On My Left posted:

I quite like this album, even if it is a bit too short. However, I am really irritated by the drum flub on Deficit (at 4:33 if you're interested). The drummer is amazing, I can't understand why they didn't just re-record that bit.

Not sure if I'm hearing the same thing you are? are you talking about the drum fill because that sounds pretty intentional to me

precision posted:

Between "Praise Be Man" and now "Memorial", I want a whole album of slow/soft songs from them. The heavy stuff is still good but to be honest it feels a little predictable by now.

I agree it would cool to hear an entire album like Ethel/Xavii however I love the dynamic between soft/reverberant and heavy like in the slow part of 309 right before the dirty bass comes in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Surprised nobody has mentioned the new God Is An Astronaut yet (unless I missed it). Just found it today and it's probably the best thing they've done yet. It's definitely not "just another post-rock album", they change it up a bit, particularly love "Calistoga" which is some strange mix of Russian Circles and Trans Am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFZFrOkcSgc

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I posted about it a couple months ago when I first listened to it. Thought it was pretty disappointing :( There were like one or two tracks that I really liked, Calistoga being one of them, but the rest I found very dull. I'd say it's their weakest release, actually. That song's strong, yeah, but one strong song does not a good album make. All of their other albums are much stronger efforts.

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

God is an Astronaut : The Vocoder Sessions

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Caspian posted this on their Facebook:

http://potholesinmyblog.com/caspian-halls-of-the-summer-lazerbeak-remix-potholes-premiere/

It's the Lazerbeak remix of Halls Of The Summer that's going to be appearing on the Hymn For The Greatest Generation EP.

I've never heard a post-rock remix I've been super jazzed about. The closest that any have ever come were the Jesu remix of The Birth And Death Of The Day and the Four Tet remix of Catastrophe And The Cure on the All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone bonus disc. That said, this one's pretty decent but I still like the original more.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

lazerwolf posted:

Not sure if I'm hearing the same thing you are? are you talking about the drum fill because that sounds pretty intentional to me
The very last hit of the fill before the next bar starts sounds out of time to me. It's not a triplet or semi quaver, I'm pretty sure it's just out of time. It jarred for me the very first time I heard it.

Neeb
Oct 21, 2010

Those On My Left posted:

The very last hit of the fill before the next bar starts sounds out of time to me. It's not a triplet or semi quaver, I'm pretty sure it's just out of time. It jarred for me the very first time I heard it.

He hits in that spot on every repetition of the beat so I'd say it's intentional. Might be that it's a tom hit as opposed to the rest being snares that makes it sound a little odd.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Neeb posted:

He hits in that spot on every repetition of the beat so I'd say it's intentional. Might be that it's a tom hit as opposed to the rest being snares that makes it sound a little odd.

Yeah he does the same pattern each time but that first pass is sloppier than the others. I wish I could unhear it. :-(

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
drat you thread I just discovered 65dos and Bird's Robe Collective and now I have to buy all the albums.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

SmokinDan posted:

drat you thread I just discovered 65dos and Bird's Robe Collective and now I have to buy all the albums.

Make sure you don't miss Silent Running. You're welcome.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

That is a :awesome: loving track. The hype is flowing through my body.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is 10 years old?! :stare:

I mean, I guess that makes sense because I was listening to that album when I first started listening to EITS in '05, but still.

Oh Christ, that means in 2 years, I'll have been listening to post-rock for 10 years :stonk:

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

I mean, I guess that makes sense because I was listening to that album when I first started listening to EITS in '05, but still.

Oh Christ, that means in 2 years, I'll have been listening to post-rock for 10 years :stonk:

This makes me feel really old since I got into post-rock through EITS's album Those Who Tell the Truth... when that was released.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh Christ, that means in 2 years, I'll have been listening to post-rock for 10 years

That means when you started listening to post-rock, it had already been almost 10 years since I first heard Slint, and 8 since I bought the first Labradford and GY!BE albums.

So, welcome to Old Club, I guess. :v:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jehde posted:

EDIT: Tour pls?

Mogwai has announced a North American tour.

:supaburn:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

What the gently caress, they're starting in New Mexico and just skipping California and the West Coast entirely? drat it.

e: Oh, I could drive all the way up to Oregon, I guess. Lame.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hell yeah, they're playing New Orleans! :rock:

That'll be my second time seeing them, but first in a few years.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Weird, I just listened to this album in its entirety today for the first time in a long time, for no reason. I guess I'm just in-tune with the amazingness.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I recently looked up some of Mogwai's stuff, they first came to my attention because Glasgow Mega Snake was used for the OST of Spec Ops the Line and I loving loved it. I have to say I really love their stuff and the style, I've been listening to Mr Beast on repeat while studying.

I'm not a big music listener and have only a very weak grasp of genres, I just tend to listen to whatever I enjoy. Are Mogwai pretty representative of post-rock ? Also is there another post-rock band I really have to check out because I would probably enjoy it if I like Mogwai ?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fathis Munk posted:

I recently looked up some of Mogwai's stuff, they first came to my attention because Glasgow Mega Snake was used for the OST of Spec Ops the Line and I loving loved it. I have to say I really love their stuff and the style, I've been listening to Mr Beast on repeat while studying.

I'm not a big music listener and have only a very weak grasp of genres, I just tend to listen to whatever I enjoy. Are Mogwai pretty representative of post-rock ? Also is there another post-rock band I really have to check out because I would probably enjoy it if I like Mogwai ?

If you like the louder stuff like "Glasgow Mega Snake" you want to listen to some Russian Circles right now. Also Red Sparowes, Pelican, Grails.

If you also like the slower stuff like "Friend of the Night" you want the first few Explosions In the Sky albums, This Will Destroy You, My Education (check out the album Sunrise in particular).

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Right I have actually forgotten that while Glasgow Mega Snake is the track that I first heard of them, I do prefer Friends of the Night. Thanks a lot for the recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Seconding TWDY and EITS. Check out the Earth is not a Cold Dead Place, just hit its 10th year anniversary!

e: the new russian circles is rad :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw Pelican live for the second time tonight. First time was in '09 when they toured with Isis. I thought they were alright that time, but not nearly as impressive as I'd hoped they'd be.

This time they were loving stellar.

Their energy level was through the roof, they got the crowd going pretty hard (there was an actual pit at one point), and everything they played sounded great, especially the Forever Becoming material they played.

And they even encored with Dead Between The Walls, which everyone went wild for.

This time felt like how last time should've been and more. I drove an hour away from home to see them both times, but this time really felt worth it.