Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Arschlochkind posted:

I mean I enjoy my share of really dorky poo poo but that whole article made me want to virtually bust in there and yell "NERRRRRRDDSSS!!!" before I dump some dweebs virtual e-books.

I don't know I can just relate to both sides of it really.

In terms of actual sports, I used to not really enjoy sports as a spectator because I had no vested interest and as a casual observer it just looked like raw athleticism pitted against raw athleticism with little in the way of strategy/execution/planning. Once I started learning the intricacies of the game and how things like statistical analysis and extensive study were not only common but absolutely necessary for success, it made the game much more fun to watch because it wasn't just winning the genetic lottery that determined victory.

On the esports side, I like watching some esports stuff because I play the same games and recognize the skill and practice that goes into becoming so good at those games :v: I don't jump up and down and cheer out loud for them or anything, but I don't do that for actual sports either.

(countdown until this post is pasted into some other forums' "horrible posts from other forums"...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

No Safe Word posted:

I don't know I can just relate to both sides of it really.

In terms of actual sports, I used to not really enjoy sports as a spectator because I had no vested interest and as a casual observer it just looked like raw athleticism pitted against raw athleticism with little in the way of strategy/execution/planning. Once I started learning the intricacies of the game and how things like statistical analysis and extensive study were not only common but absolutely necessary for success, it made the game much more fun to watch because it wasn't just winning the genetic lottery that determined victory.

On the esports side, I like watching some esports stuff because I play the same games and recognize the skill and practice that goes into becoming so good at those games :v: I don't jump up and down and cheer out loud for them or anything, but I don't do that for actual sports either.

(countdown until this post is pasted into some other forums' "horrible posts from other forums"...)

This post and the title of the thread just go together too perfectly.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

So I just saw a friend of mine on Facebook post this. He's a cool guy but this had me scratching my head.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Captain Tolerable posted:

So I just saw a friend of mine on Facebook post this. He's a cool guy but this had me scratching my head.

Your friend is a loving idiot.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Can't even being to comprehend the logic behind that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Captain Tolerable posted:

Every time I run ten yards I fall over gasping for air. These NFL assholes don't even look tired. Where is their intensity?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
At the end of another 65-yard punt return Travis Benjamin pauses at the 2 and does pushups until he is too tired to do a touchdown dance and Raider nation salutes him with a traditional shivving

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Straight from Patsfans

quote:

I'm sure that there's going to be a lot of really bad posts made in this thread, so I'm just going to take a post from the game thread, modify it and add a bit at the end, and them I'm outta here so the two extreme sides can lob grenades at each other:

The Patriots defense is missing both of its NFL starting-level DTs. It's missing it's best LB, who happens to be the only LB capable of covering against the pass. It's missing its CB1, which leads to the CB3 and S2 being exposed.

The Patriots offense is missing it's best WR. It's dealing with a TE who's playing his first game of the year. It's missing it's only RB receiving weapon. It's got a pair of rookie WRs who are inconsistent, at best, and who struggle mightily against man coverage. It's got a center who is not starting quality going against an excellent pair of DTs. It's got a LT who's been struggling for much of this young season.

All this, and the team is coming off a last-second win in an emotional game, against an excellent opponent.

With that in mind, why were people posting as if they were shocked that this game was a struggle and ended in a loss?

hmm,actually pretty reasonable really. Wait, there's more to this post...

quote:

Now, having done that, I'll just make one quick rant:

It took an offseason of incredible incompetence on the part of the "GM" to get this team to the point where the greatest offensive lineups in history have turned into this steaming turd.

Congrats Bill! You've taken the best team in the league and turned it into a mediocrity, in just one season. I sure as hell hope your changes improve by the factor of about 1000 that they'll need to in order to get this team just back to where it should have been.

Well that took an unexpected turn.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That still doesn't seem completely unreasonable. It ignores calls out Bill trying to get rid of Welker while he was still around and whatever you want to say about Hernandez, but things did change quite a bit from last year.

And how Gronk was handled I guess. And not being able to put up with a reportedly insane Lloyd.

I'm talking myself into believing that post.

e: Oh I read best team as best offense, that changes things a little.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
At least he wasn't whining about the call at the end of today's game.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

At least he wasn't whining about the call at the end of today's game.

boston.barstoolsports has you covered there:

quote:

So Belichick was right. Chris Jones was right. And the NFL’s own rule was right, until two hours after the refs bungled the call, handed a key divisional game to the Jets, and then sent their cyber goon squad in to clean up the crime scene. It’s a conspiracy, pure and simple. And if they think this ends here, they are out of their frigging minds. This story will not die. They cost a championship contender a game and worse, covered it up. poo poo like this brought a US president down, God knows an NFL commissioner can’t be allowed to get away with this. How does a rule get changed after it’s been enforced. How is it that there have been 400 FGs & PATs in football and this is the first time anyone’s ever heard this called? What did Goodell know and when did he know it? I want answers and I want them now. Not tomorrow. Not after breakfast. Now. PushRuleGate is not going away any time soon.

Patriots fans take abuse all the time for claiming that the league targets them because they’re sick of the Patriots winning all the time. But this just proves something I’ve always said. Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean everyone’s not actually out to get you. @JerryThornton1

Give @JerryThornton1 liberty or give @JerryThornton1 death!!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The most outrageous part of that whole thing is referring to the Pats as a championship contedner. I mean, I suppose they are in the sense they are not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet. But I could very well see them losing the wild card game or even missing the playoffs if their injury problems persist.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Any team that makes the playoffs is a super bowl contender man

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rap posted:

Any team that makes the playoffs is a super bowl contender man

I don't know if you are being sarcastic but you shouldn't be, just look at the last half decade. Besides the Saints in 09 every team that won it all wasn't taken seriously at all at the end of the season.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
No, I meant it. If you get in the playoffs consistently that's all you can ask for. I think that dude was insane and whiny and I don't think this sinks the Patriots' season, but I agree with him that they're super bowl contenders, as much as any team can be right now.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Feeing like you 10-6 team doesn't have what it takes to win the Super Bowl is usually just confirmation bias because only one 1 of the 12 playoff teams can in fact win. My guess is that after the wildcard round all the playoff teams have relatively close to a 1 in 8 chance of winning it all.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Dusseldorf posted:

Feeing like you 10-6 team doesn't have what it takes to win the Super Bowl is usually just confirmation bias because only one 1 of the 12 playoff teams can in fact win. My guess is that after the wildcard round all the playoff teams have relatively close to a 1 in 8 chance of winning it all.

7-9 Seahawks is the answer to this question now and forever.

Meanwhile this isn't even horrible in the same vein but

a patsfan posted:

D'onta Slowtower

:master:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Remember when people said Arizona was the worst playoff team ever and everyone wanted to go to the old mLB style to select playoff teams?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

quote:

Bigmouth fraud toe saucker's defense smashed for 3 TD's in the first half...guess thew fat blowhard couldn't find anything toi rat on the Bengals about....HE SAUCKS

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What exactly am I looking at here?

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass
My guess would be a feral Patsfan, before being captured and put down.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

quote:

Romo stunk yesterday

Romo, IMO, isn't a top five QB in the NFL, and I have doubts he's in the top 10.

Gunther Cunningham showed more fear of Randle, a fifth round RB without much speed or power, than he did of Romo. For almost the entire game Cunningham brought the safety into the box, and dared Romo to try passes down the field.

For three quarters, Romo didn't even try. In the first quarter, with second and short, and eight men in the box, Romo ran the ball into the teeth of the defense, twice losing three yards on a run, instead of taking shots down the field with one-on-one coverage on the outside. If Dez Bryant is considered a premium receiver, why not throw it up to him, and give him a chance to make plays? Can anybody even imagine Stafford not doing that with Calvin Johnson? They showed repeated instances where Stafford has successfully thrown to Johnson with DOUBLE coverage.

Billick, calling the game, repeatedly referred to Romo needing try passes down the field. This was on national TV, and Billick was being very tactful. In private conversations around the league, there are going to be much more disparaging conversations. For a ten year veteran QB repeatedly not to audible into plays that give his team a chance is simply unthinkable. Forget Manning and Brady, there are 15-20 QBs who wouldn't have tolerated the disrespect Cunningham gave Romo.

Had I been coaching, Romo wouldn't have started the 3rd Quarter. And I have no idea why Garret or Wilson weren't in his face. The fact they weren't doesn't reflect well on them. They were meek. The fact Dez Bryant did get in people's face, gives me respect for him. He was right to do so, and would have been justified in doing so in the first quarter. I know I was absolutely screaming at the TV in the first quarter Romo for not going downfield. The screaming slowed down, and turned into disbelief at what I was seeing--for three quarters.

The only question I have is why didn't Romo go downfield. Was it because of the hits Fairly put on him, and he lacked the courage? Was it because he was too stupid to get into better plays? Did he think Bryant and Williams were completely overmatched by the Detroit CBs? I really don't know...

Romo absolutely dropped his pants yesterday, and there are going to be a lot of coaches and players around the league who won't forget that display...

Flame away. I'm a little fired up over this, so it's possible I'll flame back.

Lol, blaming Romo for the loss to the Lions.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So the Penn State settlement has finally come out, and holy poo poo if you want to hate everyone and everything, pick a news site, find the article and hit the comments.

Seems to be about half atheists / religious nutters going at it over the Catholic Church scandal, with the rest divided between

*Victim blaming/ambulance chaser rhetoric.
*GBS style sports are ruining America rants
*People wishing they had been raped so they could get some fat stacks.
*And the always present anti-government nuts
*The Penn State true believers
*Prison rape jokes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kalli posted:

So the Penn State settlement has finally come out, and holy poo poo if you want to hate everyone and everything, pick a news site, find the article and hit the comments.

Seems to be about half atheists / religious nutters going at it over the Catholic Church scandal, with the rest divided between

*Victim blaming/ambulance chaser rhetoric.
*GBS style sports are ruining America rants
*People wishing they had been raped so they could get some fat stacks.
*And the always present anti-government nuts
*The Penn State true believers
*Prison rape jokes

Welcome to every time I have gone home for the past two years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AfterFather posted:

Lol, blaming Romo for the loss to the Lions.

I like how it starts off with an at least defensible position (Romo not a top 5 QB), moves into a little more questionable territory (maybe not top 10), and then gets to benching your maybe just outside the top 10 quarterback by your own definition after the half.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

quote:

[Mikel] Leshore for revis.....Revis can be released before training campe with no cap hit. If he likes it with the Lions, he can restructre his deal.

I don't know if Tampa would like Leshore but Martin is injured and they need to win a few games.

The Bucs would definitely pull the trigger on this trade.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty
Wasn't it just a few weeks ago everyone was criticizing Romo for audibling out of running plays too much? I see this guy is taking the opposite stance

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I really really hate people.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hahaha loving christ

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The only sound heard when that went up was a rhythmic slapping.

Dank Fishbong
Jan 17, 2013

by XyloJW

Mel Mudkiper posted:

People were willing to spend money for this... :psyduck:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Perhaps you can't cover up that success with honor because there is none to be found

Dank Fishbong
Jan 17, 2013

by XyloJW

Tremendous Taste posted:

Perhaps you can't cover up that success with honor because there is none to be found

Whoa man let's not go crazy here, I mean he was an amazing football coach, I'm not sure what enabling pedophiles has to do with good ol' football

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
That sentence just doesn't parse for me, I keep reading it as "you can't use honor to cover up years of winning", which makes it pretty drat funny in my mind.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DasNasty posted:

People were willing to spend money for this... :psyduck:

And there is now a pledge drive going hoping to make enough money to keep it up indefinitely

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

DasNasty posted:

Whoa man let's not go crazy here, I mean he was an amazing football coach, I'm not sure what enabling pedophiles has to do with good ol' football

honor :sparkles:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And there is now a pledge drive going hoping to make enough money to keep it up indefinitely

Light the mines on fire and burn the state from the inside out, making the whole place a Centralia.

Dank Fishbong
Jan 17, 2013

by XyloJW

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Chances are if these people didn't spend their money on retarded billboards about their favorite kiddie rape enabler they'd spend it on other stupid things so hey, more power to them :shepface:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the best part is that they're probably spending all of this money to put it up somewhere surrounded by people who already believe that dumb poo poo anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Thaddius the Large posted:

That sentence just doesn't parse for me, I keep reading it as "you can't use honor to cover up years of winning", which makes it pretty drat funny in my mind.

Same, it's funny

• Locked thread