Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Holy gently caress. I actually felt bad for Scion there at the end. Still, don't loving pick a fight with Taylor :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Wow. Wow. That was amazing.

I was able to figure out who most of the people were from the descriptions, too, which is pretty amazing in and of itself and a testament to Wildbow because he's created so many different characters. I thought maybe the guy with the rods that pinned her neck? was Trickster at first before I understood what he was doing. Also, Trickster was killed last chapter. *moment of silence* I'm not sure who the rods guy was. I LOVE that Imp was doggedly following Taylor around, helping her out.

Glastig is a terrible person, I can't believe she killed poor Doormaker right after he got the ability to talk, poor guy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo, with Doormaker dead they better hope they can set up a new sort of portal system between worlds.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Blinks77 posted:

I think it was a case of Glaistig being more than aware that her objective of simply putting him to sleep wasn't viable anymore. She'd lost and knew it

Glaistig made Taylor take control of each of her ghosts individually. Maybe she couldn't shut the gates or disintegrate Taylor because the manifestations of her power were under Taylor's control.

Tollymain posted:

poo poo, with Doormaker dead they better hope they can set up a new sort of portal system between worlds.

They already have the ability to make permanent portals.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

hollylolly posted:

Wow. Wow. That was amazing.

I was able to figure out who most of the people were from the descriptions, too, which is pretty amazing in and of itself and a testament to Wildbow because he's created so many different characters. I thought maybe the guy with the rods that pinned her neck? was Trickster at first before I understood what he was doing. Also, Trickster was killed last chapter. *moment of silence* I'm not sure who the rods guy was. I LOVE that Imp was doggedly following Taylor around, helping her out.

Sifara, maybe?

And yeah, all the Undersiders were great - from Bitch understanding Taylor to Tattletale understanding her plans and helping out. Parian as transportation and defense, and Foil with her power. And, of course, Imp hovering like a guardian angel, esp. funny given her cape name!

quote:

Glastig is a terrible person, I can't believe she killed poor Doormaker right after he got the ability to talk, poor guy.

Although his shard juice was out. Without her to kill him and use his powers as a spirit, everyone would have died when Scion did his golden enrage power thing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I feel bad for Bitch and Tattletale. How loving terrible is it to see your former teammate/leader burn her humanity away like that :ohdear:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I really hope the Simurghs gun is going to be important somehow in the last chapter, because right now it makes no sense for her to have even built it.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Hawkgirl posted:

I kind of get it but I need someone to walk me through it. Oliver was important because he drank half a potion, right? Did he drink the other half of Noelle's thing? I forget. Anyhow, he drank the "balance" half, and that makes him like the entity because...I can't quite put it together. Because his appearance and identity changes on some variable that I can't decipher? That made him seem like the partner entity to Scion?
Balance was the mediating factor between all the powers, the capacity to adapt to the situation. Basically it's the core essence of an entity, powers come and go, but the heart of it is the ability to harmonize and adapt to the situation. That's what makes them more than a collection of powers.

berenzen posted:

And to think this all started with a girl getting shoved into a locker full of used tampons.

Come to think of it, she did that. Pretty much exactly that, right back at Scion.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hawkgirl posted:

I kind of get it but I need someone to walk me through it. Oliver was important because he drank half a potion, right? Did he drink the other half of Noelle's thing? I forget. Anyhow, he drank the "balance" half, and that makes him like the entity because...I can't quite put it together. Because his appearance and identity changes on some variable that I can't decipher? That made him seem like the partner entity to Scion?

edit: From the comments: "Did Taylor just bully Scion to death…?" Holy poo poo, I think she did. That's pretty amazing.

Fuuuuck, that is so :smith: the first few chapters REALLY got to me because of the bullying, and that makes me depressed D:

Astonishingly good chapter, though.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

His entire species is terrible, and he was a dick, but I sort of feel sorry for Scion.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

hollylolly posted:

I'm not sure who the rods guy was.

I don't remember if his name was Sifara like someone said, but it's the guy who connects two things together so that when one moves, the other moves with it. He connected capes to Khonsu so that when it teleported they were taken along, and connected everyone to that rock or orb or whatever and then when it was turned the people spun like the rim of a big wheel.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

That was a pretty awesome take-down right there.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
A nice touch is that while she can't communicate with then anymore, it's still very much an Undersider style operation in the end. Tattletale coordinating the efforts, Taylor gathering information on an immense scale and handling the frontline tactics, Imp providing the right nudge at the right places.

They don't NEED to talk, they just work together regardless.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Hawkgirl posted:

edit: From the comments: "Did Taylor just bully Scion to death…?" Holy poo poo, I think she did. That's pretty amazing.

I hope one of the epilogues is just Shadow Stalker posting :smug: over and over again.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I got to the end of this chapter and Parting Glass popped up on my phone. :tinfoil:

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
I just finished the new chapter and... gently caress I don't know man, how am I supposed to deal with this?

Edit: Also the thread title is even more accurate now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel conflicted, I want Taylor to get better but at the same time it would be pretty contrived for all this poo poo to happen to her and then she goes back to normal in the final chapter.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
Anyone know why the insane MRA is spamming up the comments section of Worm 30.6 and r/parahumans?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Globofglob posted:

Anyone know why the insane MRA is spamming up the comments section of Worm 30.6 and r/parahumans?

Someone lost their meds....

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Globofglob posted:

Bolded your problem there.

Anyway, just wanted give give a hearty "gently caress You!" to whichever inconsiderate rear end in a top hat drive-by-linked Worm in the Dresden Files thread ages ago. Now I've spent god only knows how much time reading half a trillion words and compulsively hammering f5 on update nights.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Globofglob posted:

Wildbow has used the term 'misandry' and is therefore One Of Them.

Or, you know, they're Crazy Assholes.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

No you see more women have super powers in the wormverse than men do, ergo he's a feminist or he's a lady!.

Ain't got nothing to do with oppression, nope, nothing, please ignore the huge numbers of minority and third world capes over there, nothing to see.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hard to see anything in the deluge of comments, got a link/copy? It sounds hilarious.

So weird to think it's almost over. I only discovered it a few months ago but it feels like I've been reading for years.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008

And http://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/1p92nq/speck_306/

There's also a rant about how Scion is really taylor in the future and how tattletale is really eden, but it was too long to screencap. Just do a search for user Node in the comments section and you should find it.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Worm: Node is doing all the wrong things for batshit crazy reasons.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Wildbow posted:

What are you talking about?
Are you okay?

Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Oneiros posted:

Anyway, just wanted give give a hearty "gently caress You!" to whichever inconsiderate rear end in a top hat drive-by-linked Worm in the Dresden Files thread ages ago. Now I've spent god only knows how much time reading half a trillion words and compulsively hammering f5 on update nights.

There were like 5 of us.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Oneiros posted:

I'd be one of you except someone did the same in a chatroom a day before that first drive by post.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

veekie posted:

I'd be one of you except someone did the same in a chatroom a day before that first drive by post.

Someone posted it in the Brandon Sanderson thread about the upcoming Steelheart book, and I ended up spending a week binging Worm. And then afterwards, I felt like Steelheart was good and all, but fell a bit flat after reading Worm(Not that they can be compared when Worm is massive).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think the thing I love about Worm is that the story is so interconnected. If something or someone is mentioned it's probably important and will come up again. Even the Travelers showed up again for the finale.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Remember when Golem was first talking about his power?

“Lots more, but mainly I can only use my hands, arms, feet and legs. My face, but that’s not too useful.”

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
New chapter is up!

Sweet gently caress, this has been intense. Thank you for getting me to read it. Looks like Taylor got an ending, even if "happy" as a concept is beyond her now

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Wow. Just.. Wow.

That was a hell of an ending for Taylor- as much as I love the character, I'm very much glad that they didn't go for redemption, or rehabilitation.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Not going to lie, I teared up.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
I saw this thread a few weeks ago. A week ago, I decided to start reading. Today, I came to the second last chapter. Disappointed, I got up from my chair to grab a drink. I sat down again, hit refresh, and the final update was there.

I will never be so lucky again.

That was a really good book. Taylor's descent into madness was amazing to read, and the final chapters were great payoff to the entire story. I can't help but think that the gunshot at the end is a fakeout. Could be wishful thinking though. It was a great end either way.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Two bullets. Why would loving Contessa need two bullets? And where is The Simurgh's tube?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That was a hell of an ending.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

Two bullets. Why would loving Contessa need two bullets? And where is The Simurgh's tube?

The Simurgh ended up firing it at Taylor but missed.

And I got the one thing I wanted before the end, Amy is going to heal Victoria.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TOOT BOOT posted:

I missed that part. How does the Simurgh miss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

And I got the one thing I wanted before the end, Amy is going to heal Victoria.

She fired the glass tube? Or the stupid huge blow-dryer she's got the tube in?

• Locked thread