Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

comes along bort posted:

BBE products are one of those weird things where you keep thinking you need more and more of it, then one day after you've been away for a while you come back only to find out your poo poo sounds like icepicks directly into your ears.

Or an ENGL amp.:rimshot:

To be fair they do sound pretty awesome if you're only playing at low volume in your bedroom.
Depends on the amp, they sound like poo poo on my Jubilee, with the controls turned down almost to the minimum they'll tighten up a Rockerverb (granted, I had a 100w head, not sure if that's any different than a combo) into the 2x12 nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

comes along bort posted:

For trve grim and frostbitten inverted grimness nothing but a VALNΨTT will do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WcsV7hQ1V4

Wow. Never heard them before. They remind me a lot of Big Black, but with better production values and more chunka-chunka. Thank you for introducing me to them!

I realize that might be unfair both to them and to Big Black. Either way, I really like them.

El Miguel fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 28, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah they're not too bad. Justin Foley writes a lot about in-depth recording poo poo which is useful if you're DIY-ing it. I'd kill to have their studio.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

So this is the first Kickstarter project I've seen a major amp company create:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/9179415/fryette-valvulator-gp-di-tube-guitar-recording-amp?ref=live

I went in for the $499 pledge. I really like Fryette products and I really need a quiet DI recording solution that doesn't sound like rear end. Seems like it would make a great practice amp going into a cab too.

ROIDTECH
Jan 22, 2001

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
Thanks again everyone for amp advice re: the Orange Rockerverb

I ended up buying this setup earlier today for a pretty sweet price, and am going to pick it up sometime in the next few days

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

That looks great! 6V6s are the best, in my opinion, and now you have four of them!

Let us know how it sounds

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
That's a pretty sweet F2P MMO typset on that cab. When does it get out of beta again?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Good ol' Uncial. You have my axe, my liege!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Just got my VTM 120 back from my amp tech. $160 for a bias mod, general checkup and a mod to run EL34's, etc. He threw in a replacement tube for one that got redplated to death.

Hotter tubes made an incredible difference in sound. It's a whole lot more midrange meaty now.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Dirt posted:

Anyone own/played a Carvin V3M? Thinking of buying one Friday, wouldn't mind some opinions. I want something with a stupid amount of "modern sounding" gain, and the VM3 seems to fit that bill. I just don't feel like dropping a poo poo ton of cash(the head is $579.00 with shipping).

I'm a Carvin fan, if that matters. I have a Carvin bass, bass amp, and a DC400.

I was just about to ask this. I have a Carvin B2000 bass amp that I adore, so I figured I'd consider Carvin for my new guitar amp. I like that the V3M is rack-mountable, and the combo deal with a 212 cab is very reasonable to me ($849 last I looked). BUT, at the moment I have no way to test one in person.

Did you pull the trigger and buy it? I'd love to hear some opinions on it (or the larger V3 head).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Schlieren posted:

That's a pretty sweet F2P MMO typset on that cab. When does it get out of beta again?

If your gear doesn't look straight out of some bullshit sword and sorcery rock opera then you're loving up.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

If your gear doesn't look straight out of some bullshit sword and sorcery rock opera then you're loving up.

:geno:

:crossarms:

Well it seems like one of us is wrong, and I'm not quite sure it's me.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Don't look at me, I'm putting axe melee in a superhero mmo.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Ericadia posted:

I was just about to ask this. I have a Carvin B2000 bass amp that I adore, so I figured I'd consider Carvin for my new guitar amp. I like that the V3M is rack-mountable, and the combo deal with a 212 cab is very reasonable to me ($849 last I looked). BUT, at the moment I have no way to test one in person.

Did you pull the trigger and buy it? I'd love to hear some opinions on it (or the larger V3 head).

I did not end up getting it, I got a deal on an Orange OR-15, so I went with that. Totally different kind of amp though(but it does have a stupid amount of gain, but it's more of a fizzy sludge/doomy sorta sound). I might still end up buying the V3M though, still wouldn't mind hearing anyone else's opinion it either.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

umalt posted:

:geno:

:crossarms:

Well it seems like one of us is wrong, and I'm not quite sure it's me.

no, he's right. also, securely attatch an axe handle to the side of that thing immediately so you can crush something's skull with it, or get out.

you never know when a troll or a dragon is gonna just come waltzing in to one of your shows and start helping themselves to your rider while you're on stage.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

nrr posted:

no, he's right. also, securely attatch an axe handle to the side of that thing immediately so you can crush something's skull with it, or get out.

you never know when a troll or a dragon is gonna just come waltzing in to one of your shows and start helping themselves to your rider while you're on stage.

But it's hard to fight in skinny jeans. :saddowns:

I kid, I kid, but I play a Sheraton II into that thing so I guess I should just quit while I'm at it. :sweatdrop:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
:c00lbert:

On the left, from bottom to top:

• Ampeg VT22.
• Pedal storage.
• Legend Model A 60 // '50s Bogen CHA33 P.A. amp converted for guitar.
• Legend Rock 'N' Roll 50 // Beer.
• Garnet Pro 200 Super // Some old tube voltmeter because it looks cool.
• Pignose 7-100 that I modded with a push-pull to cut the internal speaker when you want to line out into something else... In this case it's going into a 200w Sunn Concert Slave (and it hauls rear end) (holy poo poo is it ever nuts)
• At the top is an Ampeg System Selector to mix and match heads and cabs without the hassle of disconnecting each one every time.

On the right, bottom to top:

• Legend 4x12. Wood grain and cane grille match the Model A 60 (they came as a pair), but it doesn't quite match the grain or grille of the other two Legend heads.
• Sovtek 2x12 (shallow) loaded with early to mid '60s Pre-Rola Greenbacks ( :hellyeah: )
• Legend Super Lead 50.

Not seen:
• Marshall 2x12 JCM 900 Lead 1936 to the right of the 4x12.

I figured since this thread is called amplifier worship that I should get around to posting my shrine eventually.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

My friend just picked one of these up. Kustom looks, Fender Showman guts.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
is that

Declan MacManus posted:

My friend just picked one of these up. Kustom looks, Fender Showman guts.

nice! playing guitar or bass out of it? thought it was a earth research head at first.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Smash it Smash hit posted:

is that

nice! playing guitar or bass out of it? thought it was a earth research head at first.

He plays guitar through it but I ran a bass through it and it sounds good (although it breaks up sooner than I'd like for full-band work). It's loving heavy, though.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Handen posted:

:c00lbert:

On the left, from bottom to top:

• Ampeg VT22.
• Pedal storage.
• Legend Model A 60 // '50s Bogen CHA33 P.A. amp converted for guitar.
• Legend Rock 'N' Roll 50 // Beer.
• Garnet Pro 200 Super // Some old tube voltmeter because it looks cool.
• Pignose 7-100 that I modded with a push-pull to cut the internal speaker when you want to line out into something else... In this case it's going into a 200w Sunn Concert Slave (and it hauls rear end) (holy poo poo is it ever nuts)
• At the top is an Ampeg System Selector to mix and match heads and cabs without the hassle of disconnecting each one every time.

On the right, bottom to top:

• Legend 4x12. Wood grain and cane grille match the Model A 60 (they came as a pair), but it doesn't quite match the grain or grille of the other two Legend heads.
• Sovtek 2x12 (shallow) loaded with early to mid '60s Pre-Rola Greenbacks ( :hellyeah: )
• Legend Super Lead 50.

Not seen:
• Marshall 2x12 JCM 900 Lead 1936 to the right of the 4x12.

I figured since this thread is called amplifier worship that I should get around to posting my shrine eventually.

All that is beautiful. I have a shrine of heads but, It is becoming too overwhelming and thinking about selling them down to just my v4. It becomes too much to try to play something when you have sooooo many good choices.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

All that is beautiful. I have a shrine of heads but, It is becoming too overwhelming and thinking about selling them down to just my v4. It becomes too much to try to play something when you have sooooo many good choices.

The bonus I find to having a selection like this is that each amp has its own unique and exploitable qualities. No more trying to dial in a tone that one amp can't handle with pedals that can barely cut it.

Ampeg VT22: Handles pedals well, is incredibly punchy and loud.
Bogen CHA33: Easy to overdrive the tubes for a natural overdriven sound.
Legend Model A 60: '60s jangly Vox sound but doesn't overdrive well and can't handle pedals.
Legend Rock 'N' Roll 50: '70s blues rock Marshall sound. It was used exclusively on ZZ Top's Eliminator but can handle Billy G's tone all the way back to (Somebody Else Been) Shakin' Your Tree on their first album. Plus you can bridge the preamp output in the back to the power input right beside it (each one with its own gain pot) for stupid amounts of distortion and get all the way to Truckfighters fuzz without the use of any pedals.
Legend Super Lead 50: Practically the same as above, but has a distinctly hotter '80s Marshall hair metal sound to it, with added bass control and reverb.
Pignose 7-100 into Sunn Concert Slave: Hilariously brown and minimalist slap in the face to gear snobs, connoisseurs of boutique equipment, and anyone who thinks they can mask their inability to play behind a million different sound effects and knobs. Basically for when I feel like I want to be Frank Zappa.
Garnet Pro 200 Super: Not sure yet... I'm thinking I might sell it pretty soon. For a 50w tube/tube amp it's kind of... Wimpy? It might just need to be recapped or retubed but I haven't fallen in love with it like I thought I would. That being said, I'm finding it hard to justify selling it because they're rare as balls. :eng99:

My only regret is that my VT22 is a VT22. I used to haul it around to practices until on one special occasion two years ago it dislocated my shoulder. WOO! And for that reason I've sort of been pining after a V2 head, the 60w little brother to the V4 but 10x harder to find.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 7, 2013

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Garnet amps are apparently favored by Sadies guitarists Dallas and Travis Good. I've always wanted to check one out.

If only they could make me play like Dallas Good.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

A VT22 was my first tube amp. I can confirm it's clean, loud, and heavy as gently caress.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Handen posted:

Pignose 7-100 into Sunn Concert Slave: Hilariously brown and minimalist slap in the face to gear snobs, connoisseurs of boutique equipment, and anyone who thinks they can mask their inability to play behind a million different sound effects and knobs. Basically for when I feel like I want to be Frank Zappa.

I love my Pignose. Such a fun, I don't give a poo poo amp.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Handen posted:

The bonus I find to having a selection like this is that each amp has its own unique and exploitable qualities. No more trying to dial in a tone that one amp can't handle with pedals that can barely cut it.

Ampeg VT22: Handles pedals well, is incredibly punchy and loud.
Bogen CHA33: Easy to overdrive the tubes for a natural overdriven sound.
Legend Model A 60: '60s jangly Vox sound but doesn't overdrive well and can't handle pedals.
Legend Rock 'N' Roll 50: '70s blues rock Marshall sound. It was used exclusively on ZZ Top's Eliminator but can handle Billy G's tone all the way back to (Somebody Else Been) Shakin' Your Tree on their first album. Plus you can bridge the preamp output in the back to the power input right beside it (each one with its own gain pot) for stupid amounts of distortion and get all the way to Truckfighters fuzz without the use of any pedals.
Legend Super Lead 50: Practically the same as above, but has a distinctly hotter '80s Marshall hair metal sound to it, with added bass control and reverb.
Garnet Pro 200 Super: Not sure yet... I'm thinking I might sell it pretty soon. For a 50w tube/tube amp it's kind of... Wimpy? It might just need to be recapped or retubed but I haven't fallen in love with it like I thought I would. That being said, I'm finding it hard to justify selling it because they're rare as balls. :eng99:

My only regret is that my VT22 is a VT22. I used to haul it around to practices until on one special occasion two years ago it dislocated my shoulder. WOO! And for that reason I've sort of been pining after a V2 head, the 60w little brother to the V4 but 10x harder to find.

Thats all awesome, I am just in love with the V4 for bass and guitar. I am actually on the look out for a matching v4b/v2 cab and another v4 head. (after I sell all my other heads)

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Thats all awesome, I am just in love with the V4 for bass and guitar. I am actually on the look out for a matching v4b/v2 cab and another v4 head. (after I sell all my other heads)

Is it a V4 or a V4B?

PlayStationGayStation
Jan 23, 2004

^________^
I came across this amp while browsing http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-gvt52-112-50w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/

Looks to be a good price. I almost picked it up myself, but then I glanced over at my princeton reverb and thought to myself "why would I need another amp?"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

PlayStationGayStation posted:

I came across this amp while browsing http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-gvt52-112-50w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/

Looks to be a good price. I almost picked it up myself, but then I glanced over at my princeton reverb and thought to myself "why would I need another amp?"

That's a crazy good deal.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Holy hell, that's a great deal even though it's a lot more amp than I need, but it does have an effects loop so I guess I could cram an attenuator in there. Anybody know if that's the right thing to do? I'm a frigging EE but don't know poo poo about amps.

The 15W/7.5W is on sale too for $50 less. To Spend Or Not To Spend. Argh.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Remulak posted:

Holy hell, that's a great deal even though it's a lot more amp than I need, but it does have an effects loop so I guess I could cram an attenuator in there. Anybody know if that's the right thing to do? I'm a frigging EE but don't know poo poo about amps.

The 15W/7.5W is on sale too for $50 less. To Spend Or Not To Spend. Argh.

An attenuator goes between the power amp and the speakers themselves, not in the effects loop. Putting an attenuator in the effects loop would simply be attenuating the preamp, which would be the same thing as turning down the master volume knob.

Also, it's only a good deal if it produces the tone you want. If you've played one before already and have decided you really like it, then yes, jump on the deal right now. Do you have any experience with this amp?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Egnater Renegade? I talked to tech in a guitar shop and he told me that the guts are pretty much poo poo, and he'd been trying to fix one for days.

Also, what are some good Marshall JCM-like amps with a "low-power" switch like this?

PlayStationGayStation
Jan 23, 2004

^________^

GreatGreen posted:

An attenuator goes between the power amp and the speakers themselves, not in the effects loop. Putting an attenuator in the effects loop would simply be attenuating the preamp, which would be the same thing as turning down the master volume knob.

Also, it's only a good deal if it produces the tone you want. If you've played one before already and have decided you really like it, then yes, jump on the deal right now. Do you have any experience with this amp?

I've never tried this particular amp, but I love the way 6L6's shape your tone.

I decided to grab this amp anyway. It won't be hard to sell at the price I bought it for if I end up hating it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

PlayStationGayStation posted:

I've never tried this particular amp, but I love the way 6L6's shape your tone.

I decided to grab this amp anyway. It won't be hard to sell at the price I bought it for if I end up hating it.

Hope you enjoy it man! Also, remember that tube type really only affects the breakup characteristics at high volume. They don't have nearly as much effect as people think. Tube vs solid state? Sure, worlds of difference. Any single tube amp that can switch between 6L6, EL34, and say, 6550 tubes? Not a whole lot unless you're really cranking the hell out of the amp.

Also remember that amps like both Fender Twins and Peavey 5150s use 6L6 tubes too, and they sound basically nothing alike. On most all amps with a master volume control, the preamp is where the vast majority of tone generation comes from.

Ampeg makes good stuff though. The amp will sound great!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

Is it a V4 or a V4B?

1978 V4 and it is almost completely mint.

Even had 40 year old tubes in it when I got it! Had it taken to be cleaned and the guy said it was the cleanest one he had ever seen. Whenever owned it apparently just kept it in their living room for 40 years.

Sounds awesome and I love it, might buy another. Had the opportunity to buy a blue line v4b around the same time but, it was rehoused and such and didn't have the same feel. They really sound identical besides the saddle switches on the top and reverb tank of course.

I have heard that the v4b has different caps on the input, to allow deeper notes, but side by side I couldn't tell a difference.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

That's a crazy good deal.

There's a reason they're selling 'em for half of MAP. Tons of issues like the active eq overloading the fx loop buffer, bad channel switch relays, etc.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

1978 V4 and it is almost completely mint.

That's very cool. Reason I ask is that I've almost always seen later 70's V4's, but early '70's V4Bs. I have no explanation for this.

They are great amps. I have an early '70s V4B that I toured with for a long time, and with a pbass, it had a great grind to it at moderate volume. What I like the most about the V4's and SVTs is that they didn't have nearly the same 'hi-fi' tonality of the '60s Ampeg amps, which were usually pretty sterile and brittle (though they made good pedal steel amps!).

Now if only they weren't so drat heavy.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

That's very cool. Reason I ask is that I've almost always seen later 70's V4's, but early '70's V4Bs. I have no explanation for

Yeah I never really noticed that but most of the v4b are usually blue line. Hmmm.

Yeah I love the grind, which is why I got It instead of the boomy SVT. I am actually looking into getting a V4b at the moment to aby them out.

I also have. 69 B25 which sounds real sick on guitar but, probably going to sell it to my guitarist. Selling my laney and accoustic too - to hopefully make room for this V4b.

What did you play yours through? I want suggestions for cabs am really want to avoid the 810, not for the weight but just so I can avoid the carbon copy of 90% of bands I see.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Well, I've been through a bunch of cabs, but this is what I can tell you:

Some Fender 2x15: no articulation, sounded like it was dying
Ampeg 410hlf: pretty good, not gigantic.
Ampeg 410he: avoid
Ampeg 610hlf: a weird compromise between a 810 and a 410. It has a very distinct voicing.
Ampeg 810: won't fit in my car. Makes an excellent coffee table.
Marshall VBC412: hard to find, but sometimes they show up. The finest bass cabinets Marshall ever made. Sealed backs, packed with acoustic insulation. I love them more than any of the ampeg cabs I've played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

Well, I've been through a bunch of cabs, but this is what I can tell you:

Some Fender 2x15: no articulation, sounded like it was dying
Ampeg 410hlf: pretty good, not gigantic.
Ampeg 410he: avoid
Ampeg 610hlf: a weird compromise between a 810 and a 410. It has a very distinct voicing.
Ampeg 810: won't fit in my car. Makes an excellent coffee table.
Marshall VBC412: hard to find, but sometimes they show up. The finest bass cabinets Marshall ever made. Sealed backs, packed with acoustic insulation. I love them more than any of the ampeg cabs I've played.

Ugh a good friend of mine (guitarist of antischism) has the Marshall Cab. He has both the super bass head and the marshall 1970s JCM. Both with the red tolex, which i think was the 25th anniversary edition? But it does sound sick.

I was thinking about the 610 but the drivers are rated at 6ohm so to replace them not only doesnt offer much options but cost an arm and a leg too.

I am really hoping to find a matching v2-412 that I have. It sounds so smooth to me but, the only ones I can find are 800 miles away or way over-priced.

The fender was probably the bassman cab, those are notoriously terrible. I will keep an eye out for the marshall 412, had that on my short list but havent ran across any.

Thanks!