Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citywok
Sep 8, 2003
Born To Surf

KennyTheFish posted:

This is what pisses me off about the modern way we do things. In the same organisation I should be able to pick up the phone and call the person who configures / maintains the poo poo I have to interface with.

Try working in a very large (90k?) tech company. Just finding ANY person that might know something about the stuff I'm trying to interface with can be difficult sometimes. But if you CAN find their info, feel free to email them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

KennyTheFish posted:

This is what pisses me off about the modern way we do things. In the same organisation I should be able to pick up the phone and call the person who configures / maintains the poo poo I have to interface with.

Agreed. We have one department which will only respond to requests submitted via the ticketing system - they are not the the helpdesk. Turnaround time is usually measured in days.

I once had the manager of that group try to chew me out for submitting a ticket and then immediately phoning someone in the department to get it looked at because I had one of our clients on the phone furious that their poo poo wasn't working, and the issue could only be resolved by that department. Customer satisfaction be damned, gotta stick rigidly to the process! :v:

Thankfully my manager told that guy to go swivel.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
We are working on integrating an API from <large company> - they approached us. They know they are talking to engineers. Any time I discover an issue - and this happens all the time, it's very immature and the sample source in the documentation is less likely to work than the Windows CE samples in MSDN (my previous benchmark) we have to go through their general ticketing system. This adds days - literally days - to the process. EVERY TIME.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Aight, so changing language settings in XP should NOT be this loving weird.

A user has a virtual computer that was set, by default, to English. Someone else decides to log into his computer, sets the language settings to Korean. For some reason, this applies to everyone's account. I log in with my domain admin account, change the language settings back, and restart the computer. However, this only seems to apply to MY account, not to the users accounts.

Is there no way for me to change this to apply to all accounts?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably, but I don't know the answer - although have you looked at a GPO so that can't be changed? That would also probably set it back.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Probably, but I don't know the answer - although have you looked at a GPO so that can't be changed? That would also probably set it back.

None that I could find, and Google isn't helping me much either.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh, I just saw Windows XP - yeah not surprised there.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Migishu posted:

A user has a virtual computer that was set, by default, to English. Someone else decides to log into his computer, sets the language settings to Korean. For some reason, this applies to everyone's account. I log in with my domain admin account, change the language settings back, and restart the computer. However, this only seems to apply to MY account, not to the users accounts.

What's infuriating was that a random user managed to change the whole entire computer's languages, but the domain admin can't do dick. It did specify that you be running at least 2008 on the server side, wherein you can make a group policy:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2012/08/16/how-to-change-regional-settings-for-all-users-on-a-computer.aspx

Not sure if it'll help, but hope it does give you some ideas as a starting point. Good luck.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Same thing used to happen on Windows 2000. I changed my own user (at college) account on one PC to use Dvorak. Later on, I saw a sign saying the PC was out of order. I used to tear the sign off and sit down at the same PC again, since I could type on it fine.

Dick move? Not really, it was unexpected that it would change it systemwide when I only had pathetic user rights. Very odd.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

stevewm posted:

User forgot Google Apps password, for the 4th time... since last Thursday.

When a user forgets their password, I always reset it to a temporary password and enable the option so they have to change it on first login. I had to reset this idiot's password twice Thursday, once on Friday, and today he called asking again.

Write the drat thing down somewhere!

My first phone call this morning.... this guy... AGAIN!

He cannot access his email again because its not accepting his password, again.. I discover he is not trying to use the new one I gave him yesterday, but instead one of the several other passwords he has used over the week. Bonus: He also forgot his password to our POS/EDI system; this is a password they have to type in several times per day as the POS/EDI app has a 10 minute idle timeout.

He is a new salesman, only been with the company 3 weeks. I have a feeling he won't last long..

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
A ticket just came in, even though it was sent 8 hours ago.
Hopefully this is anonymised enough:

"Dear support" - all emails to our support address automatically generate a ticket. this will become relevant later "<customer> just tried to send out <over 3000> <service-specific, with a unique key in each email> emails. None of them have arrived. The <2000ish> we sent yesterday seemed to work. Is this normal?"

They were using gmail addresses (i.e. they've set up well over 5000 gmail addresses, for testing) and several thousand of these addresses had typoes in them.

This means several thousand bounce messages from Google, generating several thousand "a ticket was created" notification emails, and crashing the email server.

It's now up and running, rate/resource limited, and I am sitting here watching the bounce messages / new ticket messages / "email couldn't be sent for over 4 hours" messages add up.

This customer also sells a variety of web products, they have a larger engineering department than we do. Who in the gently caress there thought this would be a sensible idea?

I mean, am I missing something here? Does this seem like a sensible thing to do to ANYONE?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

What's infuriating was that a random user managed to change the whole entire computer's languages, but the domain admin can't do dick. It did specify that you be running at least 2008 on the server side, wherein you can make a group policy:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2012/08/16/how-to-change-regional-settings-for-all-users-on-a-computer.aspx

Not sure if it'll help, but hope it does give you some ideas as a starting point. Good luck.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to create GPO's, let alone one that is only affecting one computer. I might just rebuild the drat thing to be away with it, since it's going to affect every single person logging into it.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Migishu posted:

Try logging in with a local user and changing it or failing that a local admin.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

citywok posted:

Try working in a very large (90k?) tech company. Just finding ANY person that might know something about the stuff I'm trying to interface with can be difficult sometimes. But if you CAN find their info, feel free to email them.

Funny you bring this up, because yesterday afternoon I was abruptly called onto a bridge to help with a Kerberos issue on a new server. I hopped on the call and told everyone that Kerberos configuration probably falls under the realm of the AD guys and that, while I have local admin on all Windows servers, I don't have perms to do most anything within Active Directory itself.

Cut to the next 20 minutes of six people scrambling to find an org chart that shows anyone who might know any AD admin who might be able to help.

When they let me hop off the call, they were still looking.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hooray, our first Cryptolocker infection! Thankfully this client versioning backups, so we just had to jump back on all of the effected files (the list of which was apparently "Everything, or drat near it.")

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Inspector_666 posted:

Hooray, our first Cryptolocker infection! Thankfully this client versioning backups, so we just had to jump back on all of the effected files (the list of which was apparently "Everything, or drat near it.")

There is a file you can run on the infected PC that will tell you every file that it hit so you can be sure you go everything. I think it is listed in the bleepingcomputer thread. The file is called ListCrilock.exe so you can probably search for that if you are brave.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Trastion posted:

There is a file you can run on the infected PC that will tell you every file that it hit so you can be sure you go everything. I think it is listed in the bleepingcomputer thread. The file is called ListCrilock.exe so you can probably search for that if you are brave.

You can see it here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptolocker-ransomware-information

There's also a more in-depth guide to GP stuff to try and block it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

demonachizer posted:

Try logging in with a local user and changing it or failing that a local admin.

Tried that, no dice.

Might just rebuild the drat thing. Spent too much time/effort on it already.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Migishu posted:

Tried that, no dice.

Might just rebuild the drat thing. Spent too much time/effort on it already.

What about a system restore to an earlier time? I only ask because, if you rebuild it, then the other guy comes along and changes the language settings again you get to rebuild it for the umpteenth time. If you do rebuild, take an image so that it's a quick re-image to fix rather than a full rebuild.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
System restore is disabled on our PCs.

Trust me, we're a lot better off that way.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jesus loving christ. Just yesterday I sent out two emails to the entire company cautioning them not to click on links or attachments they might get in their email that looks suspicious. Less than 24 hours later I get *2* emails forwarded from the CEO complaining she can't open an email with an attachment, subject "See what i uploaded for you!!!", and a link to http://totallyobvioussmalwaresite.tk. The first one she even got a rejection email citing 'spam', and still tried to open it.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

citywok posted:

This. It took me a month to track down someone who could file a bug against the bootstrapper for a large product with several thousand employees working on it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sirotan posted:

Jesus loving christ. Just yesterday I sent out two emails to the entire company cautioning them not to click on links or attachments they might get in their email that looks suspicious. Less than 24 hours later I get *2* emails forwarded from the CEO complaining she can't open an email with an attachment, subject "See what i uploaded for you!!!", and a link to http://totallyobvioussmalwaresite.tk. The first one she even got a rejection email citing 'spam', and still tried to open it.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Enjoy your future cryptolocker infestation.

Check your backups, now, because some idiot is going to infect your network.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ConfusedUs posted:

Enjoy your future cryptolocker infestation.

Check your backups, now, because some idiot is going to infect your network.

We're good on backups, my email yesterday was basically saying "hey guys there is this new virus going around, we're protected but here's what you can do to help minimize risk". Luckily this incident just turned out to be a phishing attempt (that the CEO gave out her Google username/pass to :rolleye:), but goddamn, I guess I'm impressed that we haven't been infected already.

On the upside, I have had a bunch of people emailing me asking questions and saying they learned a few things from my email, so at least a few of my users read and digested the information.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sirotan posted:

so at least a few of my users read and digested the information.

Email out a file that messages you the hostname and logged-in username of whoever clicks it and see how quickly you get sad.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Sirotan posted:

Luckily this incident just turned out to be a phishing attempt

I sent out a company-wide email last week warning people to be careful with emails and attachments. A day later, a girl in our sales department gave out her bank account information to a phishing email. They took $16,000.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
An ultra high importance ultra critical email CCed to multiple directors came in: "the client says <thing I can't really say but would result in a government agency getting involved if true> has happened in this live project, what do you know about this?"

No other information, no contact details, not even a date and time this supposedly occurred. 15 minutes of frantic investigation later, it turns out:
- the issue was misreported and this happened in the client testing area, not on a live project
- the client confused themselves and what they said occurred actually didn't (something orders of magnitude more minor did)
- the really minor thing which did happen was spotted, fixed, retested and the fix applied to the client testing area all in the space of 45 minutes... yesterday

To get to me, this had to go through multiple levels of bureaucracy including 2 helpdesk levels and a president of something or other. Apparently no-one else thought to check basic facts. For double bonus fun, I'm pretty sure the client intentionally misreported the issue to try to get a discount on another project we're bidding for.

Why are so many people clueless, corrupt or both?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

Could have been a religious class about Joseph.

Or wasn't one of the Canterbury Tales about someone cuckolding her husband, or getting revenge on a cuckold? It's got an actual definition beyond Craigslist personals.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

MJP posted:

It's got an actual definition beyond Craigslist personals.

Yes, and for that you would normally go to something like dictionary.com or m-w.com, not just blindly typing in Cuckold into a search engine.

Honestly, I'm surprised they bothered to do that. I can't begin to count how many times someone has asked me how to perform a task or where some location is, when they're sitting right in front of a computer with internet access. Of all people, why are they asking me where some location is? I can get lost in my hometown despite the fact that it's not that big and I lived there for 20 years.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Even if they knew the address to Merriam-Webster or dictionary.com, which they probably don't even if they know the name 'dictionary.com', they would just type it into the search bar like they type everything else they want out of the internet. There are a very large number of people who do not know that the URL bar is a thing that they can actually interact with. Websites aren't individual things they get information from they just stick words into the search bar and the internet returns information.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Galler posted:

Even if they knew the address to Merriam-Webster or dictionary.com, which they probably don't even if they know the name 'dictionary.com', they would just type it into the search bar like they type everything else they want out of the internet. There are a very large number of people who do not know that the URL bar is a thing that they can actually interact with. Websites aren't individual things they get information from they just stick words into the search bar and the internet returns information.

It's been years ago but I think it was here on SA someone was working on someone's computer and saw a search history with a bunch of searches like:
naked pictures firstname lastname
naked pictures firstname lastname

All real ladies, not celebs, that the pc owner knew. If anyone's ever been in a naked picture this is a sure way to internet it.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Galler posted:

Yes, but a google search for dictionary turns up search results for online dictionaries, not sites that specialize in women loving other men while their cuckold husband watches.

So, do schools no longer provide dictionaries in book form anymore?

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Dicktionary.com

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

TWBalls posted:

Yes, but a google search for dictionary turns up search results for online dictionaries, not sites that specialize in women loving other men while their cuckold husband watches.

So, do schools no longer provide dictionaries in book form anymore?

Don't pretty much all schools run some kind of internet content filtering which would have blocked most of the results of that nature?
That someone teaching something like highschool literature would probably have reading material where cuckold would be a word which would come up is not really surprising, that a teacher would have to look it up perhaps is.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GreenNight posted:

Lower res = cheaper LCDs = less expensive laptops.
Just ran into a serious issue this morning where one of our pieces of assessment software (flashes black numbers on white background for half second, then off for half a second,) is giving people headaches (I have never been able to look at it for more than a couple minutes without kind of thinking I was about to have a seizure, anyway,) on some new laptops (which incidentally have 1366x768, although it's unrelated as they've never run this instrument on laptops before.)

Documentation is 10 years old, creator of the instrument emails back to them, "just turn up the screen refresh rate!" :corsair:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

wintermuteCF posted:

Dicktionary.com

It exists, but seems to redirect to some site consisting entirely of ads, because it just returned a blank page with adblock plus on. Not going to try with it off.

In other news windows bloody lies to you when it claims that local admins have unrestricted access to a computer. It wouldn't let me run an .msi for all users. Easy to get around by running msiexec in an escalated cmd, or by turning off UAC, but don't bloody lie to me you stupid machine. :argh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

KennyTheFish posted:

Amusingly enough this is how most of my users feel and communicate what their desires are. And you know what? Just because you make minimum wage and "interface" with a computer that's tied to the network, doesn't mean that you get to just call the Network Manager because you got some pop-up on your web browser and he's the person who configures/maintains the place your files are kept.

couldcareless posted:

That's actually what she was looking for. Why? I have no clue.
I'm rolling here, imagining an English/Lit/etc teacher who doesn't know what "cuckold" is (they were probably reading Scarlet Letter or something?)

larchesdanrew posted:

I sent out a company-wide email last week warning people to be careful with emails and attachments. A day later, a girl in our sales department gave out her bank account information to a phishing email. They took $16,000.
Ticket closed: my money is still there! :downs:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 29, 2013

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

coyo7e posted:

Amusingly enough this is how most of my users feel and communicate what their desires are. And you know what? Just because you make minimum wage and "interface" with a computer that's tied to the network, doesn't mean that you get to just call the Network Manager because you got some pop-up on your web browser and he's the person who configures/maintains the place your files are kept.

Just because you're responsible for implementing our infrastructure doesn't mean you get to speak with an engineer... now away with you...

1 month passes

What do you mean the bridge goes nowhere!? why didn't you talk with an engineer!?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came in..,

user has been out of the office for a week and they cant access their user folder. I check the server and the folder is actually gone. Shadowcopy is on but not doing anything so I'll need to pull from backups. The users folder has been missing since Thursday... The day the account sr decided to free up some space on the fileserver..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came in..,

user has been out of the office for a week and they cant access their user folder. I check the server and the folder is actually gone. Shadowcopy is on but not doing anything so I'll need to pull from backups. The users folder has been missing since Thursday... The day the account sr decided to free up some space on the fileserver..

Why do I have a feeling his method of "freeing up space" was sort by last modified date and decided that a week old is safe enough to trash?

• Locked thread