Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The only thing that has changed with the USKP group of patches is the fact that now they have a False ESM tag. There has been no other changes, other than the new bugfixes that come with each version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

50 Foot Ant posted:

Thanks. I missed the skyproc section. I just started using it yesterday, so I don't think I'm doing too bad since I can get over 75 mods working together.

About Wyrebash: I ran it, it only suggests 2 mods be merged. Since I don't know what I'm doing is it better to just leave poo poo alone till I figure it out better?

With TESVEdit I did the base files (Update, Dragonborn, Dawnguard, Hearthfire) and I've still got a shitload of mods to clean. Weirdly, one of the files, I think it's Dawnguard, stays red even after you clean it, so hopefully I didn't screw poo poo up.

loving ENB took me FOREVER to figure out how to get it to work. But very very worth it.

For previous games Wryebash bashed patches would basically combine non-conflicting changes to the same object from different mods so you get them both in game. Like if one mod changes Ulfric's armor and another changes his hair the way Skyrim works you would only get the change that's loaded last, either armor or hair. Wryebash would see that Ulfric was changed in two mods but they were different things about him and combine the changes into the bashed patch esp (which loads after both the mods) so they both show up in game. Unfortunately the main developers behind wryebash left before Skyrim came out and it took ages for new people to step up and they aren't as fantastic as the old people. So wryebash isn't so wonderful for skyrim and all the bashed patch can handle are leveled lists. Wryebash does other things too but mostly other programs do them better.

TesEdit is a low level editing tool intended for mod makers to do things the creation kit doesn't do. It does lots of things but you probably only care about two. First is cleaning mods which takes out garbage edits the creation kit loves to add. You should only have to clean mods that BOSS tells you are dirty. Second TesEdit can make merged patches. A merged patch is basically what a bashed patch should be. It takes some more effort to get going but it includes way more categories of changes it can combine than wryebash. I've been out of the mod scene for a while but a popular thing was to use wryebash for leveled lists and a merged patch for everything else.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Thanks for the reply. I used to mod the hell out of New Vegas, so I figured I'd give Skyrim a try now that I've finished it completely vanilla.

So someone who can crash a TI calculator should probably stay far far away from Wyrebash since I don't care about leveled lists that much.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Wryebash isn't hard to use, it just doesn't do much for Skyrim. Tesedit is the tricky one but if you have figured out cleaning mods making a merged patch isn't any harder. If you have more than about 1 mod making a bashed/merged patch gets pretty important. I never did much modding for new vegas but skyrim uses leveled lists for drat near everything. Also most mods don't include the unofficial patch fixes so they will undo them if they edit the same assets which a merged patch can fix.

I managed to forget to mention it in my last post but the reason it was popular to use both a bashed patch and a merged patch is that wryebash and tesedit use different methods for working out actual conflicts, like two mods that both edit the same leveled list in non-trivial ways, and a lot of people swore wryebash made better patches. Personally I found they were usually about the same and usually preferred tesedit if they weren't.

Since you completely finished vanilla get SPERG so you can instantly regret how much time you spent with the vanilla perks.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Any good mods that improve FPS? I'm willing to sacrifice graphics for it. I'm used to playing on low, and I'm sure it can get worse without me being bothered. I'm trying to get it to run nicely on my laptop: it's fine in the wilderness, but combat/cities tend to chug a little.

It's impossible to find them, because search terms like 'fps' or 'framerate' get you loads of "BETTER MORTHAL: WILL LOWER FPS BUT ADD LOTS OF TREES." kinda mods.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Tried Hi-Algo Boost?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ugh, gently caress Arthmoor's feature creep. I use Live Another Life because I'm sick of the Helgen sequence. When I first used Live Another Life, all you needed to do was wander over to Helgen, see it had been trashed, find the corpse with the letter on it and pick up Ralof or Hadvar.

Then, he changed it so that you needed to ask about rumors of the War down near Helgen, and do the same as above.

But now? Now, you need to go to an inkeeper, ask about the war, get directed to Solitude or Windhelm, and then THEY will send you to find a guy who knows a guy, but to find HIM, you need to trek across the entire goddamn map and hope you run into him before he goes to another inn.

What the gently caress is so hard to understand about just going to Helgen when we want to start the main quest?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

futile posted:

Also, how are things going with any upcoming bugfixing patches for SPERGv4? Not to sound like a broken record, but with something so basic and noticeable as the sneak tree scaling being off, I figured we'd have seen one by now. Just wondering if you hit any roadblocks etc.

The delay is a combination of some real life issues and fatigue. I put in quite a few 15 hour days on SPERG leading up to release, so I haven't really wanted to look at it for awhile. If you've followed other projects I've done here on the forums, I have a bad habit of doing that. It's just really hard for me to pace myself, and then I burn out for a couple months.

I've made notes on all the different bug reports I've received, though, and fixed a couple things here and there using TES5Edit. It just doesn't amount to anything big enough to be worth updating, in my opinion. Once I actually pick it back up again, it shouldn't take me very long at all to go through the stuff that's been reported so far. None of it seems really complicated, at least at first glance.

khy posted:

PAGING SEORIN :

I only have 52 conjuration skill. Both of those frost atronachs are mine.

Is this a repeatable thing or just a weird thing that happened?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ugh, gently caress Arthmoor's feature creep. I use Live Another Life because I'm sick of the Helgen sequence. When I first used Live Another Life, all you needed to do was wander over to Helgen, see it had been trashed, find the corpse with the letter on it and pick up Ralof or Hadvar.

Then, he changed it so that you needed to ask about rumors of the War down near Helgen, and do the same as above.

But now? Now, you need to go to an inkeeper, ask about the war, get directed to Solitude or Windhelm, and then THEY will send you to find a guy who knows a guy, but to find HIM, you need to trek across the entire goddamn map and hope you run into him before he goes to another inn.

What the gently caress is so hard to understand about just going to Helgen when we want to start the main quest?

You do realize you can skip all the "Investigate Helgen Rumors" and go straight to Helgen to start the main quest, right? Hell you can actually skip saving Ralof/Hadvar and just warn the people of Riverwood after you discover Helgen.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
ARTHMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR :argh:

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Hmmm. I have Live Another Life, have started the main quest (have just visited the Greybeards), but I've never been to Helgen. I started in Windhelm as a Stormcloak (apparently) and eventually Ulfric sent me to Whiterun for Civil War stuff. I don't remember how exactly the main quest started from there, but it seemed clunky - I think I had the option of telling the Jarl or someone that I'd been "at Helgen".

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

jkk posted:

Hmmm. I have Live Another Life, have started the main quest (have just visited the Greybeards), but I've never been to Helgen. I started in Windhelm as a Stormcloak (apparently) and eventually Ulfric sent me to Whiterun for Civil War stuff. I don't remember how exactly the main quest started from there, but it seemed clunky - I think I had the option of telling the Jarl or someone that I'd been "at Helgen".
The main quest and the civil war are tangled up enough that he basically said 'gently caress it' and skipped a few earlier portions of the main quest.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

has anybody tried Immersive creatures? Is it any good, or does it have any glaring faults that ruin it as a whole? I'm looking for mods that add more variety to the monsters in Tombs and stuff, it looks pretty good but there's a whole lot of other stuff that I'm worried it'll go too far and I won't even be able to move in the wild without having level 50 creatures killing the poo poo out of me.

also I just finished the Dark Brotherhood quest line which was pretty great, I saw there was a mod that carried on the questline but then I saw it added a character called 'Stabby' with terrible voice acting and who wears a Chef's hat at all times.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Jblade posted:

has anybody tried Immersive creatures? Is it any good, or does it have any glaring faults that ruin it as a whole? I'm looking for mods that add more variety to the monsters in Tombs and stuff, it looks pretty good but there's a whole lot of other stuff that I'm worried it'll go too far and I won't even be able to move in the wild without having level 50 creatures killing the poo poo out of me.

also I just finished the Dark Brotherhood quest line which was pretty great, I saw there was a mod that carried on the questline but then I saw it added a character called 'Stabby' with terrible voice acting and who wears a Chef's hat at all times.

Well lucky for you, you stopped before you saw how much of a shitshow it really is.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jblade posted:

It's pretty great. The new monsters are all good quality and I haven't experienced any major difficulty spikes between them. All of the different creatures and other features of the mod can be separately turned off if you don't like some of them.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Immersive Creatures is pretty drat good. I had the same problem you're wary of with the old Monster Mod. I'd see something new when I started a character, and I'd run up and whack it with my Imperial Sword causing its health bar to not even change visibly. Then it would fireball me into an adjoining hold. I haven't noticed anything like that with Creatures.

In the wild, you get a variety of wolves, bears, and young for most aggressive creatures. The leveling is fairly reasonable, though you might have trouble with some of the bears early on. Eventually, various things that I assume are Daedroth or general Oblivion creatures start showing up. They can be pretty funky at times, and some of them drop dragon bones and scales, which I find a little jarring, since I like to run around for a long time without triggering the dragons. But that's a fairly minor gripe.

In tombs, you get several types of Draugr and new skeletons. The one complaint I have about that—and I'm not sure if it's this mod doing it, or if it was snuck in by something else—is that skeletons can resurrect on you. It's a little bit cool the first few times, but after a while it gets tedious. One of the triggers is searching them, with what seems like a 33%-50% chance of causing a resurrection, so I tend to not loot skeletons unless I know they're carrying more than some raddled armor and a Nord sword. It also makes weak skeletons more of a level-up loop than they already were, if you're tempted to exploit it.

Edit: I had forgotten this mod has a configuration panel, and most of the stuff I had exception with is configurable.

Herrvillain fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 29, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ugh, gently caress Arthmoor's feature creep. I use Live Another Life because I'm sick of the Helgen sequence.

There are other mods which just skip the Helgen thing, use one of those? I use one which dumps you in the cavern right before you exit, gives you a prompt of "Stormcloaks or Imperials?", spawns the correct NPC, fits you with an appropriate selection of gear, and then you're out the door and on your way.

No nonsense, works great. Can't remember the name right now but I can look it up later if you like.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I stumbled across a kid's clothing replacer that is very nice, for those who care about Hearthfires: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/45642/

I was sick of the old clothes myself.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Psion posted:

There are other mods which just skip the Helgen thing, use one of those? I use one which dumps you in the cavern right before you exit, gives you a prompt of "Stormcloaks or Imperials?", spawns the correct NPC, fits you with an appropriate selection of gear, and then you're out the door and on your way.

No nonsense, works great. Can't remember the name right now but I can look it up later if you like.

That's probably Dimes Quickstart. I've heard it causes problems for some people but its always worked fine for me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, that sounds right. No problems at all.

also I had no idea the same author made these two mods. They sound great and I should use them:
Divine Punishment for Mention of Arrows in the Knee
Daedric Punishment for Insults Related to Sweetrolls

any time a guard whines about an arrow he gets hit with a bolt of lightning, anytime they insult you about sweetrolls Sheogorath zaps them. :laugh:

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Jblade posted:

has anybody tried Immersive creatures?

It's one of my must-haves. The additional variety is awesome, and I love that it's configurable with the MCM so you can raise/lower the difficulty and stick to lore-friendly creatures if you want (it even has a preset just for this). Combined with OBIS it really makes running around Skyrim and Solstheim a lot fresher.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Phetz posted:

It's one of my must-haves. The additional variety is awesome, and I love that it's configurable with the MCM so you can raise/lower the difficulty and stick to lore-friendly creatures if you want (it even has a preset just for this). Combined with OBIS it really makes running around Skyrim and Solstheim a lot fresher.

OBIS'd up bandit camps, especially with increased spawns either from OBIS or ASIS are hardcore. Especially those puppet summoning bastards.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Thanks for the info guys, I'll definitely add it to my game and give it a whirl.

quote:

Well lucky for you, you stopped before you saw how much of a shitshow it really is.
Heh, how bad does it get? So far the only custom quest I've played is the Moonpath to Elsweyr which was pretty good. I barely touched any quests in the original game really, I never played any of the Guilds on my first playthrough. I think my only problem with the Companions is that joining them as anything other than a Nord feels pretty strange.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Jblade posted:

Thanks for the info guys, I'll definitely add it to my game and give it a whirl.

Heh, how bad does it get? So far the only custom quest I've played is the Moonpath to Elsweyr which was pretty good. I barely touched any quests in the original game really, I never played any of the Guilds on my first playthrough. I think my only problem with the Companions is that joining them as anything other than a Nord feels pretty strange.

If I'm right (and I probably am) about the DB quest mod you mentioned with the guy named Stabby, then you totally missed the part where you literally have to hunt down female NPCs labeled as virgins, and you actually get a spell to make it easier to detect them. Yeah, poo poo is creepy as gently caress.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Scyantific posted:

If I'm right (and I probably am) about the DB quest mod you mentioned with the guy named Stabby, then you totally missed the part where you literally have to hunt down female NPCs labeled as virgins, and you actually get a spell to make it easier to detect them. Yeah, poo poo is creepy as gently caress.

It would've been funny if casting that spell made the player glow.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Scyantific posted:

The Dark Brotherhood is a Death Cult, an offshoot from another group of assassins that worships a god/concept of nothingness instead of one of murder and deceit. Why would you make a quest for that that requires you to kill virgins. From the religion direction it makes no sense, from the murdering people business direction it makes even less sense. I suppose part of the DB is just killing for the sake of it but even then, why make killing virgins a thing, sigh.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Scyantific posted:

Don't forget that the woman follower you get does something terrible to herself with the Mace of Molag Bal at the end of that questline! :suicide:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

:stare: Well that's certainly something. This is the problem with custom quests though, you never know if or when they start to take the crazy-boat to creepsville.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Mizuti posted:

Don't forget that the woman follower you get does something terrible to herself with the Mace of Molag Bal at the end of that questline! :suicide:

Oh, she doesn't do something terrible to herself- she requests you rape her with the mace. I uninstalled that mod as soon as that became and objective. I hate that mod with a passion. He's also the one who started a Kickstarter for like 50,000 to make the sequel to that quest.

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
So I decided to get back into minecraft modding, so I installed SPERG as well as a few other mods which added spells and enchanting and such. Does anyone know a mod which, for some reason, make random piles of rubble appear all over the goddamn roads? It's not even properly placed down, I can see into it from the bottom.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think that might be a result of using SPERG on the wrong game.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I want to try out the True Daughters of Skyrim mod here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/45453, (NWS pictures) but I have no idea how to install it. I use mod organizer, and there's no "top data" for the mod (I know how to click to find it- it just won't find the data to say "a-ok"!)

I followed some of the instructions that say c&p the directory textures into your "female" folder, except...I don't have one of those? Am I supposed to? I can see the file structure I'm supposed to follow under another mod in Mod Organizer, but I can't find it anywhere on my computer.

Can anyone help?

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
I've been used Mod Organizer, and I have a question:

I know that I have to be getting crash conflicts with textures, so how do I tell Mod Organizer: This mods textures supercede this one's textures. Use this mod's scripts instead of this one. Use this model but not that one.

I've tried looking at the documentation, but can't find it anywhere.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't think textures can cause crashes unless they're corrupted or something? Or you're hitting your VRAM limit? Guessing at this but I think the worst case scenario is you'll get a mismatched or incorrect texture or an empty one.

I think the easy way is to unpack all BSAs in MO and just put your load order in the left panel in the order you want textures to supersede each other.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

I figured it was textures since I keep crashing at really weird times, like running down the road, or doing blacksmithing or leather working.

Or maybe a bad model.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

I'm pretty sure textures won't crash you unless they make you run over the 3.2gb memory limit. Skyrim is really dumb about keeping poo poo it doesn't need in memory so even if it doesn't need them all at once they can still crash you. If you use a resource monitor and it doesn't show skyrim getting up around 3gb or memory before the crash its something else. Sadly crashes are really hard to pin down if they aren't repeatable and in the majority of cases skyrim's logs will end one action before what caused the crash.

Random crashes could be drat near anything. If it happens while blacksmithing it might be something with blacksmithing, but it could also be an npc that just spawned with a bad item. Or it could be a script that had been waiting ages for an event to fire and it finally did and crashed you. If you have run boss and it doesn't tell you about any conflicts or mods in need of cleaning and none of your mods have known bugs you could be digging for a while.

Pastebin your load order and link it and someone might see something glaring.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Here's a weird bug that I can't see anywhere else: just started Dawnguard by going to their keep. Met with new-recruit Agmaer on the way, he seemed cheerful enough. Upon entering the keep he quadruples into four Agmaers and attacks me, Isran joins in too (though he does not quadruple). I murder all the Agmaers and take Isran down to no health, he does a recovery animation, stands up and talks to me as if nothing ever happened. Huh? Any ideas?

edit: Went outside and came back in and Isran multiplied and attacked me. Four Israns then chilled with me. Left and came back in again and they were all gone!

suburban virgin fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 31, 2013

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
So I've picked up an HDMI cord to run my PC to my TV so I can play games like Skyrim from the comfort of my couch with a 360 controller. I'm pretty pleased with how it all looks, but I was wondering if there are any mods that would make this better? IE Anything to better 360 controller support on the PC version, or to make seeing everything from the TV better. I've already boosted the fonts with SkyUI and that's made a world of a difference.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

i am tim! posted:

So I've picked up an HDMI cord to run my PC to my TV so I can play games like Skyrim from the comfort of my couch with a 360 controller. I'm pretty pleased with how it all looks, but I was wondering if there are any mods that would make this better? IE Anything to better 360 controller support on the PC version, or to make seeing everything from the TV better. I've already boosted the fonts with SkyUI and that's made a world of a difference.

Are you using the most recent version of SkyUI? If so, how well does gear/magic swapping from the favorites menu work with a 360 controller? I'd love to start playing with a controller again on my melee character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

i am tim! posted:

Better 360 controller is what I use when I feel like playing with a controller. You have to go into the control options and manually reset everything to defaults to make it work but I find it to be quite solid.

• Locked thread