Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Matt Leinart was widely considered the consensus #1 that year, and he surprised everyone by returning to USC. I personally liked Rodgers a lot better (insert humble bullshit here about missing so many times too), but there were/are legitimate concerns about Tedford QBs busting in the pros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

EnterYourNameHere posted:

How on earth does this stupid Stafford vs Dalton conversation come up so often?

Also I don't know what it is now but going into this week Dalton was like 7th in completion percentage sooooo

Not to mention over 8 YPA. He's 6th in the league in YPA, 4th in TDs and yards, 8th in percentage. I think he's OK.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

seiferguy posted:

Pretty much agreeing with all of this. Price will probably be an UDFA, or a 5-6th rounder at best. He'd never be anything more than a backup.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins hasn't had any off-field problems since the DUI as far as I know. He's got less character concerns than the last UW Tight End to be drafted in the first round (haha :smith: ). Seferian-Jenkins is massive and speedy. Can't wait to see him light it up at the combine.

Seahawk-chat, I would imagine they'll try to get some OL with supposedly how deep that position is this year and our lack of depth that has us relying on Paul McQuistan and Breno Giacomini. Of course, considering their last two drafts and their rather odd 1st picks (Bruce Irvin and Christine Michael), I have no idea what their strategy will be.

Kasen Williams' foot injury means he is almost certain to not be drafted, especially if it isn't better by the combine. He's so physically gifted, it's not out of the question that he could have a great camp and make a practice squad his first year and a roster his second, but more likely than not he's out of football.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Eifert Posting posted:

Not to mention over 8 YPA. He's 6th in the league in YPA, 4th in TDs and yards, 8th in percentage. I think he's OK.

This is all a new level for him though, his first two seasons he was really mediocre in pretty much all those categories which is where the debate initially came from. He's breaking out now though, so good for him.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Eifert Posting posted:

It's funny, I wouldn't say Dalton has any elite skills but he's still really good and productive. I think I look forward to the Browns playing him more than Big Ben just because Dalton isn't some fucktard golem you can't tackle so at least when we get a good rush we get a sack out of it. But yeah Dalton and the Bengals offense moves the ball pretty easily so it doesn't matter if he could theoretically throw it five yards fewer than Matt Stafford or whoever.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

sean10mm posted:

IIRC Aaron Rodgers had questionable mechanics in college, he's one of the rare guys to actually fix that as a pro.

Don't tell Aaron that!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ouroboros posted:

Regarding that year's draft; I only recently started following the NFL, but how on earth did Alex Smith end up going 1st overall that year? From everything I've seen NFL scouts seem to hugely favour QBs with the prototypical physical skills (big arm, quick release etc) that give them a high ceiling. How did someone like Smith who is regarded as a relatively weak armed game manager go above Aaron Rodgers, who has one of the best arms and best throwing mechanics of anyone in the league? I know Rodgers got to sit for a few years and Smith had a procession of offensive coordinators, but surely Rodgers had to be considered as someone with a higher ceiling?

Jeff Tedford

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tedford had some pretty big busts:

Trent Dilfer
David Carr
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller

After that list Rodgers didn't look all that sure fire.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
He also did have funky mechanics with the way he held the ball high and it showed on his deep ball.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Tedford had some pretty big busts:

Trent Dilfer
David Carr
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller

After that list Rodgers didn't look all that sure fire.

to be fair almost all of those qbs were drafted to awful teams.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
And Kyle Boller was just straight up terrible even in college and got drafted high because of one workout.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

It was an impressive workout

Dude threw through the uprights from midfield. From his knees. Toolssss

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Ungratek posted:

It was an impressive workout

Dude threw through the uprights from midfield. From his knees. Toolssss

You can't teach arm. I mean you can but it takes a while

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

MourningBoo posted:

And Kyle Boller was just straight up terrible even in college and got drafted high because of one workout.

Offensive genius Brian Billick :bahgawd:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Rap posted:

It's funny, I wouldn't say Dalton has any elite skills but he's still really good and productive. I think I look forward to the Browns playing him more than Big Ben just because Dalton isn't some fucktard golem you can't tackle so at least when we get a good rush we get a sack out of it. But yeah Dalton and the Bengals offense moves the ball pretty easily so it doesn't matter if he could theoretically throw it five yards fewer than Matt Stafford or whoever.

Dalton doesn't gently caress his team over too much and serves as an adequate AJ Green delivery service.

His best asset is that he's incredibly cheap. His 1.3 mil/year contract is an insane value, and one of the best in the league.

In that conversation, and I'm a weird guy and that's the conversation I tend to want to have, Dalton is a top value QB in the league. Arguably the big contract guys still have value and somehow are underpaid, except for Flacco who signed a contract so overvalued he probably killed the Ravens for the next 6 years.

Oh my god is that the worst contract in NFL history? I mean, it's not, but holy poo poo it's so bad.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Negotiating Dalton's contract is going to be an interesting ride.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Eifert Posting posted:

Negotiating Dalton's contract is going to be an interesting ride.

He's like Matthew Stafford. Guy who consistently puts up 300+ yard games but never wins anything.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

MJBuddy posted:

Dalton doesn't gently caress his team over too much and serves as an adequate AJ Green delivery service.

His best asset is that he's incredibly cheap. His 1.3 mil/year contract is an insane value, and one of the best in the league.

In that conversation, and I'm a weird guy and that's the conversation I tend to want to have, Dalton is a top value QB in the league. Arguably the big contract guys still have value and somehow are underpaid, except for Flacco who signed a contract so overvalued he probably killed the Ravens for the next 6 years.

Oh my god is that the worst contract in NFL history? I mean, it's not, but holy poo poo it's so bad.

We over payed Flacco, that's obviously true. He is probably worth about 17 a year. Still, his cap hit is nothing this year and not murder for the next 2. It's the last three that are killer. It would be genuinely shocking if he was not restructured before seeing those years.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Toymachine posted:

He's like Matthew Stafford. Guy who consistently puts up 300+ yard games but never wins anything.

'Consistently'? Dalton's had 3 300+ games this year, and prior to that he's had more games where he was held below 200 yards than gone over 300.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Toymachine posted:

Isn't it a bit early to put the dreaded "not a winner" label on Dalton? I mean the guy is 25-13 as a starter through two and a half seasons and looks to be coasting into his third straight playoff appearance. It's disappointing that he hasn't won a playoff game yet, but by that standard Sanchez and Tebow are due some big contracts.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The stink of not winning playoff games doesn't come off in the media. It'll be brought up forever. Peyton still gets poo poo about his losing record.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Crazy Larry posted:

Isn't it a bit early to put the dreaded "not a winner" label on Dalton? I mean the guy is 25-13 as a starter through two and a half seasons and looks to be coasting into his third straight playoff appearance. It's disappointing that he hasn't won a playoff game yet, but by that standard Sanchez and Tebow are due some big contracts.

Well, Sanchez did get a nice sized extension primarily on the back of the back-to-back AFC Championship appearances.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Rap posted:

A team should be happy with Stafford imo

You know what truly bad quarterbacking is

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
And so do Lions fans so I don't think any of them are complaining about Stafford the player. His contract, on the other hand...

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

We over payed Flacco, that's obviously true. He is probably worth about 17 a year. Still, his cap hit is nothing this year and not murder for the next 2. It's the last three that are killer. It would be genuinely shocking if he was not restructured before seeing those years.

$17M? When you can pay rookies like Wilson, Kaep or Geno $1M and guys like Tannehill $3M? Does Flacco really add $14-16M of value? Is he worth keeping over shoving a replacement level QB there for 1/17th of the price? I'm being a little facetious but I feel the true impact of the rookie salary adjustment hasn't hit yet. I'd love to see a smart GM demphasize the QB position and get it done with 2nd-3rd round picks and less than $3M at the position and take that ~$20M he's saving from paying a Rodgers/Brees/Brady type and load up the rest of the roster. Is that realistic?

It feels like the change in rookie salaries is going to make the game closer to NCAA basketball, where winning is more volatile and based on incredibly smart drafting, getting cheap talent at key positions for short periods and taking the $20-30M of savings and dumping it on FA's. The Seahawks seem to be an example of this, with guys like Wilson and Sherman letting them get Harvin, Lynch, Avril and Bennett in FA recently.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 29, 2013

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Except it is incredibly hard to find quarterbacks, especially those who can play right away.

I do think teams should focus even more on drafting expensive positions in the first round though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Rams trying to go out and get the Funslinger should tell you how dire the QB world is right now.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Hand Row posted:

Except it is incredibly hard to find quarterbacks, especially those who can play right away.

Yeah, anyone who thinks it's particularly easy to draft a good qb needs to realize that the last couple of drafts have been pretty good for QBs, and that we're only one draft removed from arguably the best qb class in three decades.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Is it too early for draft positioning? These SoS ranking are based on full schedules not just games played. Only glitch is Jags 0-8 should be worse than 0-7, however if they end up with the same record, Bucs could conceivably get the #1 with an easier SoS.

code:
Team				Win%	SoS
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers		0.000	0.562
2. Jacksonville Jaguars		0.000	0.567
3. Minnesota Vikings		0.143	0.533
4. New York Giants		0.250	0.550
5. Pittsburgh Steelers		0.286	0.508
6. St. Louis Rams (via WAS)	0.286	0.516
7. Atlanta Falcons		0.286	0.529
8. Houston Texans		0.286	0.554
9. Philadelphia Eagles		0.375	0.475
10. Buffalo Bills		0.375	0.500
11. Cleveland Browns		0.375	0.508
12. St. Louis Rams		0.375	0.533
13. Miami Dolphins		0.429	0.508
14. Tennessee Titans		0.429	0.512
15. Baltimore Ravens		0.429	0.512
16. Oakland Raiders		0.429	0.537

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Way to overachieve on a rebuilding year Raiders

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can't see the Rams keeping Bradford with two low picks like that.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

euphronius posted:

Can't see the Rams keeping Bradford with two low picks like that.

He'd have to sign at least a 4 million dollar/year pay cut starting next year. And if he got that he should take it. No one should pay more than 10 million for him.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It's very possible the rams have two top ten picks my god

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
NFL contracts should be called term sheets or MoUs or something. What proportion of non-rookie 3+ year deals actually stick?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is wrong with calling them contracts. Contracts can be and often are broken before their term is up.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Who will Miami send to instant bust status by drafting them in the second round this year!? Let's see...

Tackle is a need. Guard is a need. Gotta start thinking about replacing our defensive line once they start getting checks from dan Snyder.

I think we draft a bust guard

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

euphronius posted:

What is wrong with calling them contracts. Contracts can be and often are broken before their term is up.
I was just making a joke as they are of course technically contracts, but yes while contracts can be full of conditional propositions (and most terminations aren't really "breaking" them, which would be a breach) in general a contract means a binding agreement and NFL contracts aren't that binding.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 29, 2013

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Blitz7x posted:

At least we know they can find serviceable players and coach them.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

At least they don't need a quarterback (I assume they're sticking with Pryor?). I count 7 teams currently picking ahead of them that probably need a quarterback. If you assume 4 quarterbacks are taken before them they have the chance to take the #11 player on their board at worst if they stick to pure BPA.

Of course, they should try to trade down and maximize their picks in the first three rounds. Do they have an extra picks in the 2014 draft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

pangstrom posted:

I was just making a joke as they are of course technically contracts, but yes while contracts can be full of conditional propositions (and most terminations aren't really "breaking" them, which would be a breech) in general a contract means a binding agreement and NFL contracts aren't that binding.

Man you must work in procurement or something.

What NFL players sign are undoubtedly contracts. Breech of contracts are incredibly common everywhere you go and usually lead to amendments to the contract. There is probably an unbelievable amount of paperwork that goes into every transaction in the NFL and I don't envy the person who has to do them.

• Locked thread