Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Fists Up posted:

I want to put in a very specific route into google maps (or whatever else) that covers thousands of miles. I want to be able to pick specific roads along the way that won't be the quickest or shortest and also put in specific stops along the way. Is there a website out there that makes this much easier than just using the basic maps website?
Google Maps does it pretty well, actually:

You can drag and drop the route to take different routes on the map itself, and add waypoints. I'm not sure how you'd get it any easier than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I have a large amount of documents in Mandarin which need translation. My boss has asked me to find translation software - the best possible. He's explicitly ruled out a translation service, even though this will be much more accurate, but it will cost too much. There is so much that it would cost a couple of thousand dollars to get it translated, and we're willing to pay up to $300. It seems software is the only realistic solution.

Can anybody recommend such a piece of software, or a better place to ask?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ineptmule posted:

I have a large amount of documents in Mandarin which need translation. My boss has asked me to find translation software - the best possible. He's explicitly ruled out a translation service, even though this will be much more accurate, but it will cost too much. There is so much that it would cost a couple of thousand dollars to get it translated, and we're willing to pay up to $300. It seems software is the only realistic solution.

Can anybody recommend such a piece of software, or a better place to ask?

http://translate.google.co.uk/#zh-CN/en/

Have you tried Google Translate?

Sure, the results are going to be pretty variable in quality, but I am guessing that with a budget so low, they're not very important docs.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
They are fairly important. I think my boss just has unrealistic expectations :( He says he's tried Google and he's not happy with the result.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Google Translate is easily one of the better translation softwares. From my language to English and back anyway.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Your boss is a massive jerk, are they some kind of mba or stem type? It's always funny when 'a baby could do this!' rapidly descends into 'gently caress, I can't do this!' about language poo poo.

The kind of software your boss wants would cost way more than $300. FYI the most popular translation software costs around $1200 a copy and that's without all the bells and whistles you'd need to use it as a company (as opposed to a contractor), and you'd still need someone who know's what they're doing to clean it all up.

What kind of content are the documents? (Technical, marketing etc.) If it's mannuals or stuff like that there are probably a lot of repeated phrases and you could get away with a good translator doing a couple of docs for use, then using some software with a termbase to do a copy replace of repeated text before having an editor go through it.

If 300 bucks is the hill your boss wants to die on (it WILL turn out lovely btw) you should probably try outsourcing to a large Indian or south-east Asian translation company, but they probably won't be fluent speakers of English or Mandarin, so you'll still have to have someone who knows what they're doing go through and edit the English afterwards.

Either way machine or low-budget out sourcing will cost way, way, way, more in terms of time, to fix all the mistakes than it would have been to just pay 1 or 2 translators properly.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Schweinhund posted:

go to regedit, export the registry somewhere. Change the Active X settings to whatever, export the registry again and run a diff on the 2 files.

Perfect, this is just the kind of fix I need. Thanks.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Your boss is a massive jerk, are they some kind of mba or stem type? It's always funny when 'a baby could do this!' rapidly descends into 'gently caress, I can't do this!' about language poo poo.

The kind of software your boss wants would cost way more than $300. FYI the most popular translation software costs around $1200 a copy and that's without all the bells and whistles you'd need to use it as a company (as opposed to a contractor), and you'd still need someone who know's what they're doing to clean it all up.

What kind of content are the documents? (Technical, marketing etc.) If it's mannuals or stuff like that there are probably a lot of repeated phrases and you could get away with a good translator doing a couple of docs for use, then using some software with a termbase to do a copy replace of repeated text before having an editor go through it.

If 300 bucks is the hill your boss wants to die on (it WILL turn out lovely btw) you should probably try outsourcing to a large Indian or south-east Asian translation company, but they probably won't be fluent speakers of English or Mandarin, so you'll still have to have someone who knows what they're doing go through and edit the English afterwards.

Either way machine or low-budget out sourcing will cost way, way, way, more in terms of time, to fix all the mistakes than it would have been to just pay 1 or 2 translators properly.

It's essentially transcribed interviews, so seems like its mostly colloquial language and fairly free form.

He seems happy enough with the output of the translation software, so I guess that's that.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

ineptmule posted:

He seems happy enough with the output of the translation software, so I guess that's that.

I was in a similar situation as you with a client a few years ago... They initially used Google because other translation software was "too expensive," but then got a whole bunch of poo poo from consumers because the translation was, oddly enough, terrible.

Eventually I found a college student who was a native Mandarin speaker with passable English skills who was willing to do the work because he just needed the money. Might be worth posting on Craigslist or something, though depending on exactly how much needs to be translated, $300 might not be enough.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ineptmule posted:

It's essentially transcribed interviews, so seems like its mostly colloquial language and fairly free form.

If that's what the man wants...

Of course it'll be hilarious reading it afterwards.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
It's fairly heavy subject matter so every time I laugh at the hilarity of bad translation I feel really guilty.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Question - What should I do?

Relevant information - I keep boxes for my purchased computer hardware upstairs, in a cabinet, nice and neat. My sister had been here for three or four days. Today, I go upstairs to find all the boxes emptied from the cabinet and on the floor. One box is missing. The box is for an EVGA X58 SLI3 motherboard, inside the box is a MSI X58 Platinum SLI which no longer functions. My sister would have no clue how to determine if it worked or not. I have cleaned the upstairs, even lifting the beds off the floor and moving the into another room and I can not find the box.

TL:DR - My sister stole some computer hardware from me that doesn't function anymore, she doesn't know that. It might be worth $50-$60 if it worked.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 28, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

Question - What should I do?

Relevant information - I keep boxes for my purchased computer hardware upstairs, in a cabinet, nice and neat. My sister had been here for three or four days. Today, I go upstairs to find all the boxes emptied from the cabinet and on the floor. One box is missing. The box is for an EVGA X58 SLI3 motherboard, inside the box is a MSI X58 Platinum SLI which no longer functions. My sister would have no clue how to determine if it worked or not. I have cleaned the upstairs, even lifting the beds off the floor and moving the into another room and I can not find the box.

TL:DR - My sister stole some computer hardware from me that doesn't function anymore, she doesn't know that. It might be worth $50-$60 if it worked.

Tell her to stop going through your poo poo or GTFO?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah that seems like a no-brainer. Tell your sister that the motherboard doesn't work, and don't allow her near your things if she is a thief. I don't get why she would just throw everything on the floor instead of trying to make it look like she wasn't in there though. It's also not common for family members to steal from each other.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Manslaughter posted:

It's also not common for family members to steal from each other.

This. Who cares about a non-functioning piece of computer hardware, figure out why your sister is stealing from you. Unless you just have a weird, hosed up family I'd assume something fishy is up.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there a piece of free or cheap software that will allow me to easily cut a portion of a VOB file without leaving a watermark?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a piece of free or cheap software that will allow me to easily cut a portion of a VOB file without leaving a watermark?

I'm not 100% sure Handbrake supports vob but it's free and will only take a few seconds to try. In the top frame of the first tab, you can choose timestamps or exact frame range to grab.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm not 100% sure Handbrake supports vob but it's free and will only take a few seconds to try. In the top frame of the first tab, you can choose timestamps or exact frame range to grab.
It converted it to .mp4 (which was fine), but worked great. Thank you!

Clumsy Card House
Jan 6, 2008

Does anyone know where the couponing thread went?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I was looking through the gallery of John Anderton's tattoos and saw this image. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, but I can't remember where. Is it from a movie or something like that?

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 29, 2013

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

Question, I just checked my bank account and noticed somehow my credit card account had a deposit of $1000 into it and the statement just says "JUN RECURRING PYMT OFF R CINCINNATI OH" ..I believe Cincinnati is where my bank's headquarters is located but this makes no sense. I don't want to call them and risk losing the money over a fuckup on their end but I'd like to know how the hell this happened. Is there a way to get more details than what's offered on my abbreviated bank statement? Any ideas what the hell this could be?

Thanks!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
You should call them. At some point they're going to realize if it is a mistake and will take the money back, potentially at a time that is very inconvenient for you. Or it could be a legit thing and then you don't have to worry about spending it.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Jaypeeh posted:

I don't want to call them and risk losing the money over a fuckup on their end but I'd like to know how the hell this happened.

If it's not yours, they'll take it back when they notice, no matter how lovely of a time it is for you.

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

I noticed they do have a contest that offers double what you deposit to your account if you use their mobile app, up to $1000.. But I don't think I've deposited any checks nearly that amount any time recently and I don't think they would award that to my credit card in particular, and without notice.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Loopyface posted:

If it's not yours, they'll take it back when they notice, no matter how lovely of a time it is for you.
There is no statute of limitations on this, FYI. It can be decades down the line, and they can just decide to gently caress you. You definitely want to figure out what is up.

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

Thanks guys. I'll definitely do that, especially after reading this: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/sav/Nov06_bank_errora1.asp

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Can somebody tell me what kind of teas are these?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In what context, if any, is evolutionary psychology legit?

This showed up in my feed: http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/responsible-living/stories/mean-girls-succeed-because-indirect-aggression-works-so-well

quote:

Because of women's role in childbearing and rearing, they are less expendable than men and couldn't risk injury by settling disputes with their fists, said Anne Campbell, an evolutionary psychologist at Durham University in the United Kingdom, who was not involved in the work. Instead, social exclusion and talking behind someone's back allowed women to work out conflicts without endangering their bodies.

Backbiting and gossiping aren't unique to women, though. "There is virtually no sex difference in indirect aggression," Campbell told LiveScience. "By the time you get to adulthood, particularly in work situations, men use this, too."

But these attacks are more powerful weapons against women, who, in the evolutionary past, depended on each other to raise children; so shunning could severely hurt a woman and her children's survival odds. As a result, women may have evolved to be exquisitely attuned to such slights, Vaillancourt speculates

I don't want to call out the whole thing as BS right off the bat in the off chance that evolutionary psychology isn't as pseudosciency as, say, iridology.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Clumsy Card House posted:

Does anyone know where the couponing thread went?

What couponing thread? There's still an entire couponing forum.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

This showed up in my feed: http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/responsible-living/stories/mean-girls-succeed-because-indirect-aggression-works-so-well

I don't want to call out the whole thing as BS right off the bat in the off chance that evolutionary psychology isn't as pseudosciency as, say, iridology.

I cannot answer your question directly; however, in the first sentence of your quote, the article references someone who was not involved with the study. So...the article is, at minimum, a pop-science "get your attention" piece.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I want to dig up whatever official records I can about a rape trial that took place in Virginia in 1990. What can I hope to find through online sources? Does the state stock records?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The general belief is that most, if not all, our psychological traits are determined evolutionarily. It is a pretty large academic field, and isn't just some made up junk. There are good reasons to take those thoughts on board. The biggest problem is that even more so than evolutionary biology, many hypotheses are just impossible to verify.

Are we naturally inclined to have arachnophobia as a survival mechanism, for example? Is finding homosexuality repulsive a natural instinct? Is racism an explainable defence mechanism against outsiders?

You can see how quickly it can go off the rails. It can justify almost any trait or statement, but it lacks any way of separating fact from fiction other than Occam's razor and messing about with monkey brains.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone have any experience with background check companies? What is a good one that does thorough check and gives a good report? Are there specific/common ones that are used by hiring companies more than all the ones that are advertising to find out if the guy you met online is a serial killer?

Basically I want to see what is out there on me that a potential employer might find so I don't go blind into any questions in an interview or something.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What's a good RSS reader? Newsblur is pissing me off with their 30 day limit.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

Feedly.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/quiterss-portable

Put it in Dropbox. Enjoy.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My twitter accounts keeps randomly following accounts I've never heard of and mostly only tweet in Arabic. It's not an application of any kind that auto-follows people and I've changed my password to something about as secure as passwords get and it's still happening. What the hell is going on?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Jeza posted:

The general belief is that most, if not all, our psychological traits are determined evolutionarily. It is a pretty large academic field, and isn't just some made up junk. There are good reasons to take those thoughts on board. The biggest problem is that even more so than evolutionary biology, many hypotheses are just impossible to verify.

Are we naturally inclined to have arachnophobia as a survival mechanism, for example? Is finding homosexuality repulsive a natural instinct? Is racism an explainable defence mechanism against outsiders?

You can see how quickly it can go off the rails. It can justify almost any trait or statement, but it lacks any way of separating fact from fiction other than Occam's razor and messing about with monkey brains.

To expand upon this just a bit, one can practically come up with a believable explanation (story) for practically anything. Sometimes these explanations can be deceptively believable, but without proper ways of actually testing these conjectures, it ultimately becomes elaborate storytelling. Some of these stories are really good (and may be more correct than wrong!), but some are basically self-fulfilling hypotheses that can be used to justify racism, sexism, violence, rape, genocide, etc.

I was going to type a bunch more words, but wikipedia has a very thorough entry on criticisms of evolutionary psychology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_evolutionary_psychology

With regard to the specific application you are talking about, there are numerous societies and cultures throughout history and the world where women were more physical than men. The idea that women are genetically encoded to be more sensitive to gossip/social slights than men is silly and insulting to women.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

My twitter accounts keeps randomly following accounts I've never heard of and mostly only tweet in Arabic. It's not an application of any kind that auto-follows people and I've changed my password to something about as secure as passwords get and it's still happening. What the hell is going on?

You sure someone you're following isn't retweeting that stuff? Twitter won't follow people unless you ask it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Trastion posted:

Anyone have any experience with background check companies? What is a good one that does thorough check and gives a good report? Are there specific/common ones that are used by hiring companies more than all the ones that are advertising to find out if the guy you met online is a serial killer?

Basically I want to see what is out there on me that a potential employer might find so I don't go blind into any questions in an interview or something.

State police and FBI will have your criminal record, with the state police report, typically, being online. FBI requires fingerprinting, and, personally, I've only had to go through it one time when I was an enumerator in 2010.

Also, some states have set aside certain background check systems. Here in PA there are Act 33 & 34, which cover child abuse and criminal history, respectively. It's not an unusual thing to see jobs here requiring them for employment.

Sometimes companies also add in a sampling of credit information. This website is where you can get a copy of your credit report from the three credit bureaus. Note: You get one request per year per company. Don't pull all three as the differences between them are likely to be insignificant and it is much more valuable to be able to check a different bureau's file later in the year.