Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Zombie Guy posted:

I picked up Enemy Unknown last week and I'm starting to get a feel for the game I think.

I played a bit on Normal to get my bearings, and I've started a new game on Classic.

Any good basic advice to pass along? I started my base in Africa, and I'm going to try and get some more satellites up ASAP.

Also, I can't seem to get the hang of how to flank aliens. Every time I try to circle around to the side or rear, I never seem to get that yellow shield icon to show on them.

You have to get at least a 90 degree angle on them otherwise it's not a flank. If it still doesn't work it's just because the game is buggy and lovely in that department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Did you get the DLC? Slingshot gets you a higher level than average character pretty quick, which helps unlock the Officer Training School, and then gives you access to some tech before you normally would, but with a balls hard mission to beat in the middle (at least on Classic). You can delay those missions indefinitely while you grind out research, though.

A good piece of advice from Beaglerush: Move your farthest on your turn with your first character. Keep your characters together (no need for cover as you move; just set overwatches as you move in a group) until you trigger a mob, then move into full cover at your first opportunity. If you can't get full cover, do not hesitate to use Hunker Down like it's going out of style--your overwatches will miss more often than you'd expect and the enemy won't more often than you expect.

I prioritize getting advanced aircraft asap, but that's just me. General advice from the thread has been to get lasers before better armor, and I can agree with that--the extra punch you get with better guns means you'll be taking less fire, which is always better than a two or three hit point buffer. But don't neglect carapace entirely--kevlar (the default armor) is pretty poo poo and you will lose rookies by the score until you get something hardier.

Line of Sight can be finnicky, but you'll get the hang of it...nine times out of ten; that one time you'll end up in a map where walls glitch out and someone can flank you through two halves of a UFO.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Are they updating the levels based on mission locations in the expansion? Always bugged me how Shanghai and Chicago look the same.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Lotish posted:

Did you get the DLC?

My game came with the Elite Soldier DLC, but I haven't picked up Slingshot. Is it worth the price?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

My game came with the Elite Soldier DLC, but I haven't picked up Slingshot. Is it worth the price?

How much do you value Fancy Hats?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I prize hats quite highly. Also I think I have a higher opinion of it than most of the people here, but my copy of the game came with Slingshot for free, so I don't have any lingering feelings of being ripped off; that may have something to do with it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I never managed to complete the second Slingshot mission even on Normal. Got any advice for me?

Also, can you delay that mission or not?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, you can say "Not now." to the Council missions and they'll come up again in, like, an in-game week. I only narrowly finished it my first time on Ironman Normal and was very, very not ready to handle the second mission on Classic; I ended up delaying it about three times I think.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

By the way, if you people haven't seen it yet, there's an interesting gene mod called "Secondary Heart" that makes the operative go critical one time per mission instead of dying.
Which pretty much is immortality, unless you somehow manage to get them killed twice in a mission.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I checked out the trailer for Slingshot, and those hats look pretty sexy.

I have a few bucks sitting in my MS account since the point switch over that I might as well use on this.
The orginal X-Com is one of my all-time favourite games, so I can't imagine myself regretting this decision too much.

Nothing beat the feeling of zooming around the end-game in flying suits and completely leveling the entire battlescape with Blaster Bombs. I hope I'll be able to recreate that with Enemy Unknown at some point.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Secondary Heart? There's gene therapy, and then there's straight up WH40K bullshit.

They better bleed like crazy when they die :black101:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

WarpedNaba posted:

Secondary Heart? There's gene therapy, and then there's straight up WH40K bullshit.

They better bleed like crazy when they die :black101:

It's not like they have more blood :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jack Trades posted:

I never managed to complete the second Slingshot mission even on Normal. Got any advice for me?

Also, can you delay that mission or not?

Depends on if you're PC or not. There's a trick that saves a turn if you're on PC but generally load up on one side.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Spoke Lee posted:

Are they updating the levels based on mission locations in the expansion? Always bugged me how Shanghai and Chicago look the same.

Dunno, but it sure would be nice. It's kind of a shame that the nice China-themed slingshot tilesets are only used for like two maps.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So what are opinions on the expansion? Just saw this game had one, and I realized I never did the final mission on my last run... think I might start a new game and run through with the expansion stuff too...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fuzz posted:

So what are opinions on the expansion? Just saw this game had one, and I realized I never did the final mission on my last run... think I might start a new game and run through with the expansion stuff too...

It's not out for two more weeks. Ask us then.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

S.J. posted:

It's not like they have more blood :v:

Nooo, but they're able to expel it out of their wounds faster. :v:

EDIT: Also, one of the new Second Wave options will be "Training Roulette" which doesn't allow you to pick an agent's perk and instead picks a random one.
Sounds like fun!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fuzz posted:

if (steamLibrary.enemyWithin.acquired != true && wallet.balance >= 27) then Steam.Buy(EnemyWithin)

Mushball
May 23, 2012
How high of a priority is the Firestorm? I usually delay researching them until after the first overseer ship shows as my regular interceptors with their laser cannons can handle any other UFO threat.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mushball posted:

How high of a priority is the Firestorm? I usually delay researching them until after the first overseer ship shows as my regular interceptors with their laser cannons can handle any other UFO threat.

Build a bunch of Firestorms before you trigger the Overseer, instead of after. Until then though, you don't really need them.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Jack Trades posted:

Nooo, but they're able to expel it out of their wounds faster. :v:

EDIT: Also, one of the new Second Wave options will be "Training Roulette" which doesn't allow you to pick an agent's perk and instead picks a random one.
Sounds like fun!

An important point is it can pick the random perk from any class (excepting those that need special weapons).

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm still trying to think what would be the most broken skillset this would generate

Run & Gun (Assault)
Lightning Reflexes
Rapid Fire
HEAT Ammo
Sprinter
Extra Conditioning
Holo-targeting

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Dog posted:

I'm still trying to think what would be the most broken skillset this would generate

Run & Gun (Assault)
Lightning Reflexes
Rapid Fire
HEAT Ammo
Sprinter
Extra Conditioning
Holo-targeting In The Zone

Fixed. :getin:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

Run & Gun (Assault)
Lightning Reflexes
Rapid Fire
HEAT Ammo
Sprinter
Extra Conditioning
Holo-targeting
I was typing up all the skills that had potential, but it turned into me writing 80% of the skills that aren't weapon-specific. Here's the weapon-specific ones I know of:
  • Fire Rocket
  • Shredder Rocket
  • Rocketeer
  • Squadsight
  • Snap Shot
  • Disabling Shot
  • In The Zone

Unsure about :
  • Suppression
  • Danger Zone - relies on suppression not being weapon-specific
  • Mayhem - bonus to suppression & area-effect abilities depends on how it's coded
  • Double Tap - Ability says "Allows both actions to be used for Standard Shot, Headshot or Disabling Shot, provided no turns were made. 1 turn cooldown". The specific nature of those listed skills could mean less synergy with other abilities
  • Smoke and Mirrors - requires Smoke Bomb to be of any use
  • Rifle Suppression - Well it'd be useless on a sniper or Heavy
  • Combat Drugs - requires Smoke Bomb to be of any use
  • Dense Smoke - requires Smoke Bomb to be of any use

If they relax the restrictions on class-specific weapons I could see it not being an issue. Doubt it though, they don't test these second wave options that much. Really hope they mess up and allow psi-abilities to appear :getin:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are Ze Aliens deaf, or can they hear what's going on in the fog of war from their perspective?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
They hear you when you smash through windows and kick open doors, but not otherwise. This is why it's advantageous to open doors quietly if you're trying to sneak up on them. Not that sneaking up on them seems to give you any of an advantage at all

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cool. Just had a mission where I fired off a couple grenades and then just happened to trigger about three more packs of Sectoids; seems I got unlucky rather than the two being related.

R.I.P Rookie Lopez. You took four of those assholes with you. :911:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Boing posted:

They hear you when you smash through windows and kick open doors, but not otherwise. This is why it's advantageous to open doors quietly if you're trying to sneak up on them. Not that sneaking up on them seems to give you any of an advantage at all
Honestly I prefer to get them to walk to me rather than me stumbling on them. If I could voluntarily make noise, I probably would.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That why there will be a beacon in Enemy Within. It's supposed to act as a lure.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh XCOM, I forgive you for the teleportation bug when this happens.

:allears:

Also while I'd hesitate to call the game beautiful, I still absolutely adore how chunky and how much personality there is in the character models.

:smug:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Why doesn't the iOS port have any of that fun stuff? :smith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What, grenades? :v:

Also holy poo poo my assaults are racking up kills now thanks to the advice from early on. I might have to research heavy lasers instead of precision ones this time around.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Precision lasers includes Scatter lasers, so stick with it if you like Assaults.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

zylche posted:

I was typing up all the skills that had potential, but it turned into me writing 80% of the skills that aren't weapon-specific. Here's the weapon-specific ones I know of:
  • Fire Rocket
  • Shredder Rocket
  • Rocketeer
  • Squadsight
  • Snap Shot
  • Disabling Shot
  • In The Zone

Unsure about :
  • Suppression
  • Danger Zone - relies on suppression not being weapon-specific
  • Mayhem - bonus to suppression & area-effect abilities depends on how it's coded
  • Double Tap - Ability says "Allows both actions to be used for Standard Shot, Headshot or Disabling Shot, provided no turns were made. 1 turn cooldown". The specific nature of those listed skills could mean less synergy with other abilities
  • Smoke and Mirrors - requires Smoke Bomb to be of any use
  • Rifle Suppression - Well it'd be useless on a sniper or Heavy
  • Combat Drugs - requires Smoke Bomb to be of any use
  • Dense Smoke - requires Smoke Bomb to be of any use

If they relax the restrictions on class-specific weapons I could see it not being an issue. Doubt it though, they don't test these second wave options that much. Really hope they mess up and allow psi-abilities to appear :getin:

I don't think they'd add Danger Zone or Mayhem--I don't think they'd let you get Mayhem or Danger Zone, anything that requires you to have another ability wouldn't work because you might not have that ability.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Mr Dog posted:

Run & Gun (Assault)
Lightning Reflexes
Rapid Fire
HEAT Ammo
Sprinter
Extra Conditioning
Holo-targeting

Come on man. Holo targeting? On a run and gunner? And change that extra conditioning to low profile.

Hell, Bulletstorm would still serve better than holotargeting on that list.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Brainamp posted:

Come on man. Holo targeting? On a run and gunner? And change that extra conditioning to low profile.

Holy poo poo, Run and Gun assault would be loving amazing. All cover is good cover.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Give them Resilience too, so they give no fucks about getting flanked.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I think Ananda Gupta has stated that Heat will only apply to explosives as of Enemy Within. I hope that's not the case. :ohdear:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Fanzay posted:

I think Ananda Gupta has stated that Heat will only apply to explosives as of Enemy Within. I hope that's not the case. :ohdear:
As long as we're agreeing that Rift is an explosion...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Fanzay posted:

I think it applies to the gun as well, since I specifically remember him stating that it was nerfed from x2 to x1.5 damage.

That, combined with non-cover-seeking enemies defaulting to overwatch when discovered, makes sectopods actually a bit scary.

• Locked thread