Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New Seki-Kun!

One of the funniest chapters despise Yokoi's absence :haw:

The anime for Seki-kun is confirmed for this coming January. :neckbeard:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-31/tonari-no-seki-kun-anime-slated-for-january

Also from that link, there were apparently live-action commercials made for the manga. I had no idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J71ZAbygKzE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New Seki-Kun!

D'aww. Gotou's wild shipping of Seki and Yokoi is full of imaginings just as surreal as Yokoi and Seki's bizarre desktop dramas! It's adorable, in a shoujo sort of way.

a kitten posted:

The anime for Seki-kun is confirmed for this coming January. :neckbeard:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-31/tonari-no-seki-kun-anime-slated-for-january

Also from that link, there were apparently live-action commercials made for the manga. I had no idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J71ZAbygKzE

Lovely!! I think January would be a great time to start up a separate Seki-kun anime thread, since having an anime schedule would allow it to have more regular discussion than a separate Seki-kun manga thread.

Also, those commercials are really stylish and minimalistic. Not having any characters and just focusing on the photography makes them neat to look at, and eye-catching.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New Seki-Kun!

What are you talking about? Yokoi was there in spirit! :haw:

Also can't wait for the anime, though I wonder if it's gonna be shorts instead of a full series.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Seki's vision of Yokoi's angry ghost may be the best bit in the whole book. Not only is it hilarious, but I think its perhaps the most direct tacit acknowledgement of how her perceives her involvement from within his games (rather than when he makes her a subject of them like with the polishing).

I can't help but wonder if his view of her anger was because he was playing at all, or because of expected disapproval for his usual love for schadenfreude.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Seki-Kun chapter 34 shows us how the Seki-kun Anime should be made.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

tonberrytoby posted:

I wonder if Seki deliberately left his flip-book and voice recorder in the classroom so that Yokoi could enjoy his work. :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

And here's a helpful URL!

Hahaha, the punchline was excellent after all that buildup! Also, I think that sequence would require way more pages to animate than were shown in the flip book. Maybe it's part of that lovely surreality for which I adore this series.

I call dibs on making the anime thread when it comes out!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrSunshine posted:

And here's a helpful URL!

Hahaha, the punchline was excellent after all that buildup! Also, I think that sequence would require way more pages to animate than were shown in the flip book. Maybe it's part of that lovely surreality for which I adore this series.

Oh man, those two complement each other so well :allears:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Or maybe he learned animation by watching Shaft shows.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Alright, but you're slackin' right now!:v:

Official character designs and art for Tonari no Seki-kun anime version:

quote:

The series will be directed by Yuji Mutoh (Crayon Shin-chan films, Green Green). Masae Ōtake (Kuromajyo-san ga Tōru!!) is handling character design and Shinei Animation (The Knight in the Area, Doraemon films) is producing the animation.

Couple more pics over at ANN
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-04/tonari-no-seki-kun-staff-key-visual-revealed

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a kitten posted:

Alright, but you're slackin' right now!:v:

Official character designs and art for Tonari no Seki-kun anime version:

Couple more pics over at ANN
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-04/tonari-no-seki-kun-staff-key-visual-revealed

Ehhhh? :aaa: But I thought the convention was to start a thread after the anime starts!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Ehhhh? :aaa: But I thought the convention was to start a thread after the anime starts!

Ah, it is of course! I just wanted to post the new info and make a joke that I beat you to it.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Wow, the director of Green Green
that's disappointing. that was a long time ago though, so fingers crossed.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Flying Witch - http://mangafox.me/manga/flying_witch_ishizuka_chihiro/c008/1.html

I wasn't expecting a furry at the end.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 11, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Another chapter of Donyatsu just hit

Initial impressions: I'm really loving the super cartoony figures interposed with the photorealistic items, like the shot of the Mousemallows riding the little RC buggy.

EDIT: Finished the chapter. Alright, that was just a wonderful chapter. The spunky girl cat telling the mice off and using... PSYCHOKINESIS :stare: to bend the spoons was amazing. A strong female character in a manga, except she's a donut shaped cat! I wonder if this hints to further developments? And those poor guys! Free as birds indeed.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 16, 2013

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Coppelion is still goin' http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Coppelion

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

You've waited a long time, but now Sakamoto's here to make it all OK, baby. :swoon:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mary Annette posted:

You've waited a long time, but now Sakamoto's here to make it all OK, baby. :swoon:

Ok, that was really loving weird. Hilarious, but weird :psyduck:

And to be honest, kind of remind a little of Junji Ito :stare:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first couple of Sakamoto chapters were legitimately hilarious, but honestly most of the rest have just been too weird.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Hahaha that was great. I wonder how much more ridiculous things will get from here?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mary Annette posted:

Ahaha. Sakamoto prevails yet again. I love how apparently he had a DVD of himself saying that he was a "denizen of this [video] world" right on hand. When did he record that??

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DrSunshine posted:

Ahaha. Sakamoto prevails yet again. I love how apparently he had a DVD of himself saying that he was a "denizen of this [video] world" right on hand. When did he record that??

He filmed it using that video camera that was lying around, while the mom was watching her drama. The great part is his perfect leap into the world of 2D.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

nerdz posted:

Gokiburi Gijinka. I didn't read it enough to recommend it, but come the gently caress on. Moe cockroach?

This is almost tragic and not very fun to read. :(

Mary Annette posted:

However, I would happily spend the rest of my days awaiting the newest Sakamoto chapters. :allears:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Seki-kun 35. I love this manga.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Allarion posted:

I missed you guys.

And all that tension between Seki and Yokoi is really cute :allears:

EDIT: I just read that manga about the moe croakarach and is kind of nice but there's only 4 chapters translated since the last year :smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 28, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Allarion posted:

:3:

:unsmigghh:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

This series is becoming a show right? The antics will be amazing in motion. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

This series is becoming a show right? The antics will be amazing in motion. :allears:

It sure is! It'll be coming at the beginning of next year! I'll definitely make the thread for it, it's gonna be a blast I'm sure.

A couple of short previews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ufd8z0F0Uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IztL-KoTREQ

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

These chapters are getting dangerously cute.

Also is there a raw somewhere? "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm so fat!" is almost too funny a line for me to believe.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope Yokoi and Seki never, ever actually get together and become a couple. Gotou's delusions regarding their "relationship" is far funnier than any actual romance between the two could possibly be.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

I hope Yokoi and Seki never, ever actually get together and become a couple. Gotou's delusions regarding their "relationship" is far funnier than any actual romance between the two could possibly be.

"Impossible! A-As if I could ever date an irresponsible guy like that!"
___/

Also, man, what kind of pervy magazine does this manga run in, anyway?? Just look at that cover. This manga stands out so much compared to everything else, it almost looks like when Hajime Isayama had Mikasa with her buff abs standing next to some pants-less curvy anime girl.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Can't be all bad. Same magazine as Bonnouji anyways. Though apparently this is where Dance in the Vampire Bund and Girls & Panzer originated. So a mixed bag I guess. Also in looking this up I've learned of the existence of Kumamiko, which based off of glancing at pictures looks like the adventures of shrine maiden and a bear. I doubt it'll ever be translated and yet I can't help but feel we're missing out.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Allarion posted:

Can't be all bad. Same magazine as Bonnouji anyways. Though apparently this is where Dance in the Vampire Bund and Girls & Panzer originated. So a mixed bag I guess. Also in looking this up I've learned of the existence of Kumamiko, which based off of glancing at pictures looks like the adventures of shrine maiden and a bear. I doubt it'll ever be translated and yet I can't help but feel we're missing out.

Look at that fuckin' Bear. There's no we aren't missing out. That needs to be translated immediately.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Some kind of ursine moe Calvin and Hobbes, maybe?

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
One can never get sick of their antics. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Maybe it's a bit like Polar Bear's Cafe? As an aside, that show is a pretty surreal slice of life show as well, and I heard it was fairly entertaining. Has anyone in this thread seen it? Any opinions?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Somehow I missed this collection of Igarashi Daisuke short stories when it came out at the beginning of the month. Read it now.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Spirits-Flying-in-The-Sky

The fourth story Covered in Sand is so loving good. Reminds me that I need to pick up Children of the Sea soon now that it's all translated.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Maybe it's a bit like Polar Bear's Cafe? As an aside, that show is a pretty surreal slice of life show as well, and I heard it was fairly entertaining. Has anyone in this thread seen it? Any opinions?

I don't know if I'd call it surreal, necessarily. I guess talking animals holding down jobs is a bit surreal but it's also a pretty common thing in cartoons and stuff so it doesn't really feel that way to me. The fact that a lot of animals work in a zoo is a bit odd, I guess. It is a super-chill comedy show, though. So if that sounds like the kind of thing you like it's definitely worth checking out a few episodes.

Also lamambo is the best ending song an anime ever had. Unfortunately I couldn't find a link to the actual ending just the song. It's probably around somewhere but I'm lazy.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 29, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Joshlemagne posted:

I don't know if I'd call it surreal, necessarily. I guess talking animals holding down jobs is a bit surreal but it's also a pretty common thing in cartoons and stuff so it doesn't really feel that way to me. The fact that a lot of animals work in a zoo is a bit odd, I guess. It is a super-chill comedy show, though. So if that sounds like the kind of thing you like it's definitely worth checking out a few episodes.

Ah, I see. Hm, I might track down a few episodes, give it a test.

In other news, our thread's favorite manga just updated again!

:laffo: Seki's greatest menace strikes again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrSunshine posted:

Ah, I see. Hm, I might track down a few episodes, give it a test.

In other news, our thread's favorite manga just updated again!

:laffo: Seki's greatest menace strikes again!

gently caress you Uzawa :argh:

Great chapter though

• Locked thread