Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

nthalp posted:

gently caress me.

as the small guy trying to get into the game frankly, this scares the poo poo out of me. :smith:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm on a team that's half prison guards. I think the average height is probably 6'3".

I'm the shortest on the team at 5'9". Even shorter than the 2 Asian guys :(

5'7", 165lbs here. When I started playing last year I was 210 so at least had some weight going but gently caress it, it doesn't matter. I have fun and get to play hockey! Big dudes are easy to scare when they don't think to look down and suddenly you're there sweeping the puck away :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yeah, I'm pretty small and a bad skater and playing with big dudes is no problem, safety-wise.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I'm going to be in Detroit (specifically the Ren Cen, contracting for Youmacon) over the weekend and I kinda want to get some ice time in. Anyone know if there's anything in downtown? I should mention I won't have a vehicle.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Team Small (5ft8 on skates) and speedy here too. Rules skating around big dudes who can't do much because they're heaving their weight and mass around. Also cool, running into them and making them take interference penalties.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I'm 5'8" 160lbs. Prefer defense, because there is nothing in this world more satisfying than taking a 6'2" power forward off the puck :smug:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I'm going to be in Detroit (specifically the Ren Cen, contracting for Youmacon) over the weekend and I kinda want to get some ice time in. Anyone know if there's anything in downtown? I should mention I won't have a vehicle.
How good of a skater are you, and on a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a goon are you? This is important.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Skating: I can blast around forward with minimal issues and even crossover somewhat. Don't ask me to go backwards or hockey stop unless you want to see me fall six plus feet to the ground.

Goon level: 0/10. No ice hockey experience.

I probably should have said I was primarily looking for public skate or stick and puck, my bad.

Actually, now that I think about it, stick/puck might be impossible given the sheer amount of nerd poo poo* I have to load into the rental truck I'm driving out. I'll find out how much space I'll have tomorrow night.

*14 arcade games, associated tools, 1000+ bottles of ramune, some other Japanese snack crap, assloads of coke products, assorted merchandise, luggage.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

There should be open skating at the DISC in Dearborn friday or saturday. Take a smart bus from the Rosa Parks station I guess. I mean there are no rinks in Detroit anymore, certainly none near Hart Plaza unless you count Campus Martius (which is for sure not open right now).

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Lost our game last night and I lost a good friend in my favorite stick.

I have no idea when but I'm pretty sure it was one of the multiple slappers I took from the point in the 1st but when I came to the bench in the 2nd I went to poke a teammate saying good job and my blade promptly folded in half.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Hockey moms just love barging into the men's locker rooms without paying any attention to the fact that there may be grown men naked in there. This isn't a complaint, just an observation.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sandbagging down in the peewees again?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

real_scud posted:

Lost our game last night and I lost a good friend in my favorite stick.

I have no idea when but I'm pretty sure it was one of the multiple slappers I took from the point in the 1st but when I came to the bench in the 2nd I went to poke a teammate saying good job and my blade promptly folded in half.

I'm willing to bet Hockey Monkey makes the majority of their money on Mondays or Tuesdays.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

I'm willing to bet Hockey Monkey makes the majority of their money on Mondays or Tuesdays.

Composite sticks are so drat expensive.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Probably

Aniki posted:

They are but goddamn are they so nice when they're not broken.

What sucks is that all the old stock of Easton Stealth RS I's seem to have disappeared in any form, let alone with the blade I like and flex so I have no idea what I'm going to do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aniki posted:

Just be under 6 feet and buy intermediate sticks on clearance. :science:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

real_scud posted:

If you have all the gear I highly suggest you try out on Friday and start playing....

I'm supposed to be getting the last few bits by this weekend. and UGH, tryouts.. yeah.. tryouts, yay. I suppose my humility could stand some more work..

Dangerllama posted:

stick. and. puck.

Yeah havent done that one yet, but public skates didn't do much for me. So many evil children. Kids are great for teaching you how to react to WTF CHILD! situations, but not so much on the technical stuff I seem to really work on.. like... stopping.

Pleads posted:

People who need to "take the season off to train": Aging/injured pros
People who do not: You

Play the good old hockey game.

well... im in my thirties... according to the kids I work with I'm old...

I'm on a team that's half prison guards. I think the average height is probably 6'3".

I'm the shortest on the team at 5'9". Even shorter than the 2 Asian guys :(

Well.. at least the prison guards are on your team.. Someone to have your back at least.

sellouts posted:

Small dude don't be scared of playing the game. You're not going to die out there.

not so much scared, but have just spent a good bit of time on this forum and HF, and while yeah I'm not going to lie part of me is kinda convinced some big rear end fucker is going to try to hit me like an NHL star, I'm mainly worried about basic poo poo like not being able to stop and hitting a goalie, or just being a player that is dangerous to other folks because his stupid rear end cant stop.

loving bro hug posted:

5'7", 165lbs here.

Thufir posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty small and a bad skater and playing with big dudes is no problem, safety-wise.

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Team Small (5ft8 on skates)

Dangerllama posted:

I'm 5'8" 160lbs. Prefer defense..

Thanks team small.. Its much appreciated. although I'll admit I'm surprised at a small defender, didnt really think that was an option.. its not like I'm going to Chara-smash anyone.

xzzy posted:

Just be under 6 feet and buy intermediate sticks on clearance. :science:

Ah the being small thing does have one advantage....

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nthalp posted:

well... im in my thirties... according to the kids I work with I'm old...

"Thirties" is young in my group of never-evers.

There's a handful of kids, but drat near everyone is on the far side of 40 just looking to have a good time away from whatever stresses they got going on at home.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

nthalp posted:

I'm mainly worried about basic poo poo like not being able to stop and hitting a goalie, or just being a player that is dangerous to other folks because his stupid rear end cant stop.

I wouldn't worry about it because:

A) You'll probably be way behind the play most of the time anyway until you get used to playing and learn to stop.
B) That's what pads are for.
C) In my experience, people are surprisingly good at avoiding other people on the ice.

Not to say you won't get some bumps and bruises but they'll more likely come from you tripping over yourself and falling down 20 ft away from anyone else.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

nthalp posted:

Yeah havent done that one yet, but public skates didn't do much for me. So many evil children. Kids are great for teaching you how to react to WTF CHILD! situations, but not so much on the technical stuff I seem to really work on.. like... stopping.

Your fear of being hurt is preventing you from using this time to work on stopping. Quit making excuses, go into a corner, and start snowplowing ice and getting a feel for your edges. Then do it at very slow speeds. You need very little space for doing this.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.

nthalp posted:

stuff...

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago and I feel like I've come along pretty well. I had done a lot of roller blading in my youth so I suppose I had a slight leg up but I was pretty brand new to ice skating. I cannot stress enough how helpful it was to start with open skates and stick & pucks. My development went like so:

stick & puck/open skates > adult learn to play clinic (mainly skating focused) > 5 v 5 pickup games > slightly more advanced clinic (more hockey focused) > 4 v 4 league

I learned how to stop (to my right side only) around the 2 month mark. It was more an accident than anything else. I managed to find the edge while skating very quickly toward the boards and it was self preservation. However, once I found that edge it became pretty easy. I fell A LOT in the first few months trying to stop.

Anyway, my best advice is to just get out there and skate as much as you can (even open skates) and you will find yourself improving pretty quickly. I wouldn't worry too much about some of the hard hitting tryhards you read about in stories on here. Everyone I've met while playing over the past few months has been great.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

Your fear of being hurt is preventing you from using this time to work on stopping. Quit making excuses, go into a corner, and start snowplowing ice and getting a feel for your edges. Then do it at very slow speeds. You need very little space for doing this.

For me the issue with open skates isn't a fear of being hurt, it's a fear of hurting someone's child. Even if the amount of space that you need for something is very small, you can't predict when some fragile little (semi-)self-guided missile is going to bomb through it. Stick and puck sessions are much better.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

nthalp posted:

not so much scared, but have just spent a good bit of time on this forum and HF, and while yeah I'm not going to lie part of me is kinda convinced some big rear end fucker is going to try to hit me like an NHL star, I'm mainly worried about basic poo poo like not being able to stop and hitting a goalie, or just being a player that is dangerous to other folks because his stupid rear end cant stop.
Don't worry about this, if you run into someone most likely you're not going to be going too fast and people are cool with it. They have problems with the guys who know how to skate but act like they don't so they can run into people. Again doesn't happen often but usually those guys only go after the players who are much better than they are.

Running a goalie isn't the greatest thing but again usually it's not too bad because people are trying to avoid hitting anyone.

But really I'd suggest going out to the Rookie B tryouts on Sunday and you'll see about the level of play that you'd expect with guys who haven't really ever played hockey or simply aren't that good.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I could be the captain of team small, I'm a 5'5" goalie. I uh...have to be quick.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think you're overestimating how unpredictable using the corners in anything but an overcrowded public skate is for someone who doesn't even know how to stop and is working on basic edge work and I think you're underestimating just how dangerous being in the way of a stick and puck session is.

Maybe it's a geographic thing? Every non-6am stick and puck sessions out here is full of little kids who think they're invincible and put themselves in really stupid positions. Much more so than a public skate. When I'm giving basic lessons to people learning how to skate I always take them to a public skate and it's absolutely no issue with safety. If the person wants to start working on anything with speed, backwards skating, quick crossovers then I'll dump em into a stick and puck. But learning the feel of stopping? Perfect for public skates out here.

(Mall and outdoor rinks excluded as they're almost exclusively undersized and overcrowded)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I could be the captain of team small, I'm a 5'5" goalie. I uh...have to be quick.

Yeah, the couple times I was in goal, I felt like it was nothing but net up top when I went down in butterfly. My head was barely at the crossbar. Actually it was probably nothing but net everywhere. I am bad.

In contrast, my Monday night goalie is a huge fucker; 6'4"-ish and probably a good 280 but can move pretty quickly. When he's in butterfly his shoulders are still at crossbar level. It's almost impossible to score on him with the first shot. There's hardly ANY net to work with when he's on the right angle. Glad I don't have to play against him...

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Yeah, the couple times I was in goal, I felt like it was nothing but net up top when I went down in butterfly. My head was barely at the crossbar. Actually it was probably nothing but net everywhere. I am bad.

In contrast, my Monday night goalie is a huge fucker; 6'4"-ish and probably a good 280 but can move pretty quickly. When he's in butterfly his shoulders are still at crossbar level. It's almost impossible to score on him with the first shot. There's hardly ANY net to work with when he's on the right angle. Glad I don't have to play against him...

I'm jealous as hell of big goalies. I do pretty well at my level (beer league, duh) but I always think about how many more shots I'd stop if I was a foot taller like some that I've played against. On the other hand, my father was a tall goalie and has had horrible knee and hamstring problems since he was in his 20s. Plus, I usually outplay the big lanky guys, they may be able to reach further with their legs, and their shoulders are higher, but the holes all scale up too.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

I think you're overestimating how unpredictable using the corners in anything but an overcrowded public skate is for someone who doesn't even know how to stop and is working on basic edge work and I think you're underestimating just how dangerous being in the way of a stick and puck session is.

Maybe it's a geographic thing? Every non-6am stick and puck sessions out here is full of little kids who think they're invincible and put themselves in really stupid positions. Much more so than a public skate. When I'm giving basic lessons to people learning how to skate I always take them to a public skate and it's absolutely no issue with safety. If the person wants to start working on anything with speed, backwards skating, quick crossovers then I'll dump em into a stick and puck. But learning the feel of stopping? Perfect for public skates out here.

(Mall and outdoor rinks excluded as they're almost exclusively undersized and overcrowded)

Probably a geography thing. Every public skate I've been to locally seems to be crammed full of kids and wide-roaming ice dancers, but I don't think I've ever been to a stick and puck with more than maybe 15-20 skaters and little to no craziness.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've only encountered one jerk on skates in the two years I've been on the ice, so either I have good luck, or the southwest chicago suburbs is filled with awesome dudes.

(I'm also not in the actual beer leagues yet)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why not? Get on that, stat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I tried when the fall leagues were forming up, but couldn't find a team that had room. My name's on the sub list too, but nothing's come up yet.

I was talking with some dudes at a second rink I skate at and one guy said they like how my skating is improving, so maybe that'll turn into something for the spring season.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

Sandbagging down in the peewees again?

Totally owned those kids. :smug:

xzzy posted:

"Thirties" is young in my group of never-evers.

There's a handful of kids, but drat near everyone is on the far side of 40 just looking to have a good time away from whatever stresses they got going on at home.

I'm tied for youngest on the team. The next oldest guy is like 20 years older.

I'm 30.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

xzzy posted:

This is something that has stopped me from playing. I've started to get really into playing and I get together with my friends and we shoot around but it seems like most of the beer leagues around here (Westchester/Putnam NY) don't have much place for 23-25 year olds. Not many of my friends want to fork over the cash for a league right now but I'm looking in to it. I just don't want to feel out of place sitting on the bench with a bunch of old dudes. Nothing against them but I just feel like I'd get looked down on for being so young.

I feel like I missed the bus by not playing in high school and college and now have to wait till I am old to play some hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every old dude I've seen is more jealous than derisive towards younger skaters, because they all want to be young and quick too.

The biggest problem you'll have is sitting through old man chat talking about sore knees or getting fat or whatever dumb home improvement project they want to start next. But you will get free beer. :v:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

I'm tied for youngest on the team. The next oldest guy is like 20 years older.

I'm 30.

I'm the captain and youngest player 22 on my team. Our team name is Half Century Hockey too. :lol:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Once contact hockey was over for me in college I joined a beer league without knowing anyone. I couldn't even buy beer to bring and had to pay someone to pick it up for me.

By doing that I met business contacts and friends that I've kept to this day. I repeated this when moving to SoCal. Jumping into situations not knowing anyone has been kind of a theme in my life but with hockey I highly recommend it. It's pretty low risk and you can make some great friends.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I'm in my second season up in the Ithaca, NY beer league now. I think I'm the only college undergrad (23 next week) who plays in the league, and you don't see many grad students, either. It's mostly townies in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, and a lot of them know each other, but everyone is really friendly and totally happy to have youngster on the team. It's a little awkward at first but you get to know everyone and as was said, everyone buys beer, so it's a really good experience overall. I can understand your reluctance but I personally am so happy I overcame it

Also playing with and against 70+ year olds who can skate pretty well is a great experience. It's always kinda shocking how much energy they have

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

For some of them, the older they get, the more skill they have gained back from their youth. Very cool for old dudes to just blast the 30-50 year olds like us "kids".

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah, very few people start at that age, and most people who make it to that age and still play are the better ones, sort of like how the people who make it to 35+ in the NHL tend to be the better players, so if you're still playing at that point odds are you're pretty decent

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
Hockey is awesome.
Stop thinking about playing.
Start to play.

You will be happier and improve much faster.

Hockey is expensive.
You can't play hockey when you are dead.
Play while you are still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Once contact hockey was over for me in college I joined a beer league without knowing anyone. I couldn't even buy beer to bring and had to pay someone to pick it up for me.

By doing that I met business contacts and friends that I've kept to this day. I repeated this when moving to SoCal. Jumping into situations not knowing anyone has been kind of a theme in my life but with hockey I highly recommend it. It's pretty low risk and you can make some great friends.

This.

When I moved to Austin the first thing I did was contact the local league and find out how to join. After a year of playing down here I have a number of business contacts. Also I can vouch for sellouts still being in contact with people in Austin since in a weird twist I am now playing with what is essentially is former team.

As for team short, I'm barely at 5'9" and a goalie so it's all about being quick and taking away angles. Seems most goalies in beer league are either around 5'6" to 5'10" and quick or 6'+ and fat.

I'll join in/restart jersey chat when I get off of mobile.