Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're missing the mile-long string of RPO codes.

These days, a lot of racing gearboxes have added oil pumps to the design. One example, the Xtrac used in Indycar.

I think the ZL1 Camaro (and probably the upcoming Z28, as well as the C6 ZR1?) actually have gearbox / differential coolers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Slavvy posted:

How would that even work? Wouldn't the c6r just have a normal sequential manual like any other race car, except in the back? If so, there wouldn't be any pressurised coolant or fluid to circulate AFAIK

A lot of long distance racers have coolers for transmission and diff oil. Back in the 80's group A Alfa 75 was homologated with watercooled brakes and a power steering oil cooler (!). There was no need to homologate a transaxle oil cooler, because transmission and diff oil coolers were allowed on all cars by the rules. Just attach pipes to transmission oil plug and filling hole, small electric pump and a radiator. In the 60's and 70's a mechanical pump driven from a drive shaft was often used. For example, a BMW 2002 diffs tend to break because of overheating in long distance races on fast circuits like Nürburgring.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

DropShadow posted:

Saw a cyber gray C7 driving around today and tracked it down to a nearby Chevy dealer. It's a customer's car awaiting delivery.

I've seen a red one a couple times around town, but I think this gray might be its best color. The interior looks like it came out of a much more expensive car.
I saw one of these on US50 today, with regular plates. Someone bought their baby, and hot drat does it look amazing in that colour.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Two very cool cars I saw recently. The first is an absolutely mint condition Stealth found in a 55+ community. The second is self-explanatory.

The truck sounded ah-may-zing! Not shown, the massive hood scoop.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

DropShadow posted:

Saw a cyber gray C7 driving around today and tracked it down to a nearby Chevy dealer. It's a customer's car awaiting delivery.

I've seen a red one a couple times around town, but I think this gray might be its best color. The interior looks like it came out of a much more expensive car.

Jesus Christ those side reflectors are absolutely terrible.

I assume some aftermarket company will make color-matching replacements to get rid of them though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've seen a few C7s in person now... and that car is something that isn't growing on me at all. Good god. :eek:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

BlackMK4 posted:

I've seen a few C7s in person now... and that car is something that isn't growing on me at all. Good god. :eek:

I don't know, just caught one in the wild and personally though it was better looking in person than in the magazines.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Chinatown posted:

Jesus Christ those side reflectors are absolutely terrible.

The Solstice design language refuses to die.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

YF19pilot posted:

I don't know, just caught one in the wild and personally though it was better looking in person than in the magazines.

It looks best in speed yellow with black grills, followed by BRG.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

YF19pilot posted:

Was it blue, i've ridden down 30 with a blue one a few times in the last couple weeks.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

anonumos posted:

Two very cool cars I saw recently. The first is an absolutely mint condition Stealth found in a 55+ community. The second is self-explanatory.

The truck sounded ah-may-zing! Not shown, the massive hood scoop.

My dad had a '69 flare side with the straight 6 when I was growing up. I miss that truck, dude who bought it pretty much did something similar as this to it.
Um..no new pics, but a ZL1 Camaro passed me in the work van yesterday and it sounded like a crisis.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Love seeing this stuff just driving around like it ain't no thang

Mar 25, 2004

I saw a truckload of the new Corvettes on the way up to Phoenix while I was driving to Tucson today and I've seen a few around Scottsdale now. I've never been a Corvette fan and these aren't really doing anything for me either. I actually kind of liked the look of the ZR1s but I don't know, maybe the new ones will grow on me as I start to see at least 2 at every intersection around here.

I'm going to try and get some more pictures of the 930 this week before I head to the UK on business. I saw my neighbor this weekend who has a nice metallic orange Mclaren F1 and a few fine German and Italian cars and he mentioned I could snap a few pictures of his stable as well so we should have some nice contributions coming up. If I can't get them before I leave then it will be just a couple short weeks. He's a really nice guy but I have to say I feel like a real loser whenever he takes the F1 out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sudo Echo posted:

Love seeing this stuff just driving around like it ain't no thang

Considering that the 504/505 and the Hilux are pretty much "the cars that conquered Africa", the fact that they're still trucking along in western countries is hardly surprising.

Probably the biggest reason you don't see more of them is that they've all been shipped to Africa ;)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The front of the C7 and the front of the F12 look very similar, with the edge going to the Corvette IMO for not having all those silly swoopy holes all over the shop.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Toucan Sam posted:

Was it blue, i've ridden down 30 with a blue one a few times in the last couple weeks.

No, found this red one parked outside the Sheetz in Hartville. I will keep an eye out for the blue one. There may or may not be a silver one running around; my brother an his boss both swear they saw the 2012 Corvette Concept drive past their shop.

(Pardon my finger in the last photo, still getting use to the new phone/camera)

KozmoNaut posted:

Considering that the 504/505 and the Hilux are pretty much "the cars that conquered Africa", the fact that they're still trucking along in western countries is hardly surprising.

Probably the biggest reason you don't see more of them is that they've all been shipped to Africa ;)

Now I know where to go if I need a French wagon.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

YF19pilot posted:

French cars really are the best cars in the world, most people are just in denial for some reason.

The 406 coupe is better than any contemporary BMW 3-series coupe. It just is.
The 208 GTI is by far the best hot hatch on the market. It just is.

They're just better in every way, it's just that certain je ne sais quoi*.

* Stockholm syndrome

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

YF19pilot posted:

No, found this red one parked outside the Sheetz in Hartville. I will keep an eye out for the blue one. There may or may not be a silver one running around; my brother an his boss both swear they saw the 2012 Corvette Concept drive past their shop.

(Pardon my finger in the last photo, still getting use to the new phone/camera)

I don't know about you guys, but that thing looks gooooooood

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
I'll scream it until your ears bleed; You'll always have a friend in me.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Where can you get those 80s style posters? IMO a garage isn't a proper garage unless it's got an old calendar full of big-haired women in oddly-shaped swimwear.

https://www.pelicanparts.com sells them.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

The front end looks like Lightning McQueen, it's bad.

I wanna know what their handicap placard is for, other than inability to park within a marked space.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

Did you even look at the last photo (of the rear)? It was apparently designed by a 12 year old boy.

Which has been typical for corvettes for decades. It's like they just give up for the last foot or so of the car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
2.7l twin turbo 1st gen Audi TT. Basically a B5 RS4 with a tighter engine bay.

Possibly also appropriate in the other thread.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Opinions, assholes, etc.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Bad looking photo, bad looking car.

quote:

Nice looking photo, nice looking car!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

It's gorgeous in red. Wowzer.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Motronic posted:

Did you even look at the last photo (of the rear)? It was apparently designed by a 12 year old boy.

Which has been typical for corvettes for decades. It's like they just give up for the last foot or so of the car.

Yeah I did actually look at it, and I like it a lot. Could you give me some examples of some "grown up cars" since apparently the corvette is made by children?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Bob NewSCART posted:

Yeah I did actually look at it, and I like it a lot. Could you give me some examples of some "grown up cars" since apparently the corvette is made by children?

Its a matter of poor design. Quite a few cars seem to forget the rear part of the car and often end up looking like mini vans or "Oh cock, we forgot to put the tail lamps on.... well here this looks good."

Its not just American cars, the Japanese and Euro cars have been doing a fantastic job of loving it all up. The new Range Rover which looked incredible in L322 form looks down right awful, "here lets make a 100k SUV look like a 30k Ford Explorer". Though I admit, I do like the rear design of the Charger. To bad they can't get the front fixed.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its a matter of poor design. Quite a few cars seem to forget the rear part of the car and often end up looking like mini vans or "Oh cock, we forgot to put the tail lamps on.... well here this looks good."

My favourite example of this is the Ferrari California.

You would think the big round lights would be the brake lights, like in all the other Ferraris, but they're not. The brake lights are actually the blacked out square things near the exhaust, because DOT regulations prohibit the mounting of brake lights on to body parts that are movable, like the cover for the folding hardtop on the California.

I'm sure Ferrari totally meant to do it like that from the beginning and didn't just forget that regulation existed until the car was ready to go into production.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The new corvette looks like it was designed by a 16 year old who was asked what a fast car looks like. Completely tasteless, classless and covered in bizarre, clumsy styling cues. The c6 looked much better, if purely because of how restrained and well-proportioned it was.

Still a sweet, sweet car. Just not that great looking.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Throatwarbler posted:

You would think the big round lights would be the brake lights, like in all the other Ferraris, but they're not. The brake lights are actually the blacked out square things near the exhaust, because DOT regulations prohibit the mounting of brake lights on to body parts that are movable, like the cover for the folding hardtop on the California.

I'm sure Ferrari totally meant to do it like that from the beginning and didn't just forget that regulation existed until the car was ready to go into production.

This is fantastic because that is the car I love to hate.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

Slavvy posted:

The new corvette looks like it was designed by a 16 year old who was asked what a fast car looks like. Completely tasteless, classless and covered in bizarre, clumsy styling cues. The c6 looked much better, if purely because of how restrained and well-proportioned it was.

Still a sweet, sweet car. Just not that great looking.

It'd look miles better if it lost all the plastic vents in the body. That's what spikes the cheese-factor for me.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

So you you want to get rid of functional vents that improve performance because they make the car look like it's trying too hard to be fast, despite the car actually being very fast? The car looks a little too busy to me, but I still think the overall shape is great and if I were to change things it would be the Camaro inspired tail lights or kind of funky exhaust stack, not the elements of the car that actually make it a better car to drive quickly.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

So you you want to get rid of functional vents that improve performance because they make the car look like it's trying too hard to be fast, despite the car actually being very fast? The car looks a little too busy to me, but I still think the overall shape is great and if I were to change things it would be the Camaro inspired tail lights or kind of funky exhaust stack, not the elements of the car that actually make it a better car to drive quickly.

No. It's about design not function. Let there be vents; lots of manufacturers can successfully cover a car in vents without them looking like poo poo. It's the shape, and layout, and the horrible shiny black plastic that makes it look like a hotwheels toy.

Looks like :3:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PromethiumX posted:

It'd look miles better if it lost all the plastic vents in the body. That's what spikes the cheese-factor for me.

It's pre-JC Whitneye'd, as that is what most of the owners would be doing to it anyway. Except with plastic chrome vents, which you know will be available as replacements very soon.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

With the hood off all I see is the Flying Spaghetti Monster (holy :lol: that gets capitalized in iOS)

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JROCSmSsjow

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Throatwarbler posted:

Die-hard Ferrari fanboy here.... who hates the California with a passion. The side vents and the rear... ugh.

I can't unsee the smaller car being swallowed by a larger car in the rear end.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

It could just be an American thing, like those hideous bumpers you guys got on 911's. Just because your DOT has a regulation on brake light positioning doesn't mean it's world wide.

Still a terrible decision as I'd imagine the US is the largest market for the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
When I look at the rear of a California all I can see is :saddowns:

Fortunately that thing should be getting a redesign soon.