Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Doltos posted:

Man you must work in procurement or something.

What NFL players sign are undoubtedly contracts. Breech of contracts are incredibly common everywhere you go and usually lead to amendments to the contract. There is probably an unbelievable amount of paperwork that goes into every transaction in the NFL and I don't envy the person who has to do them.

Actually, NFL contracts are basically just form contracts with numbers plugged in. This is because the NFL and the NFLPA hammer out most material issues whenever they renegotiate the CBA:

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable_Bookmarked.pdf

You can see the contract on page 273. It's nearly indistinguishable from any form contract you'd come across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Disillusionist posted:

At least they don't need a quarterback (I assume they're sticking with Pryor?). I count 7 teams currently picking ahead of them that probably need a quarterback. If you assume 4 quarterbacks are taken before them they have the chance to take the #11 player on their board at worst if they stick to pure BPA.

Of course, they should try to trade down and maximize their picks in the first three rounds. Do they have an extra picks in the 2014 draft?

They traded their 5th round pick for Matt Flynn(lol) and have an extra 6 or 7 from the Cards but other than that they're all set.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Emanuel Collective posted:

Actually, NFL contracts are basically just form contracts with numbers plugged in. This is because the NFL and the NFLPA hammer out most material issues whenever they renegotiate the CBA:

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable_Bookmarked.pdf

You can see the contract on page 273. It's nearly indistinguishable from any form contract you'd come across.

In the business world we call that Task Orders. You have an overall agreement with a contract and then you release task orders pursuant to the contract for specific efforts.

Both the CBA and the form contracts attached to the CBA are still considered contracts. It really is just semantics though since the word 'contract' invokes an unbreakable document in peoples' minds. In reality a contract is just an agreement entered into by at least two entities that is legally binding. So if you go against the contract, odds are both parties will make efforts to amend the contract in order to keep it legally binding. I can only think of one instance in my company where someone did a total breech of contract that led to a lawsuit.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Okay I know this is boring to everyone so this is the last I'll post on this.

Doltos posted:

What NFL players sign are undoubtedly contracts. Breech of contracts are incredibly common everywhere you go and usually lead to amendments to the contract. There is probably an unbelievable amount of paperwork that goes into every transaction in the NFL and I don't envy the person who has to do them.
People don't often breach the contracts -- there is a clause specifically saying the team can terminate the contract if it decides the player isn't worth it anymore. Which is why I made a joke that it's not much of a contract. HILARIOUS I know especially after explaining it twice.

Emanuel Collective posted:

Hey, interesting thanks.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

euphronius posted:

Can't see the Rams keeping Bradford with two low picks like that.
What if they actually used those picks to build an offense for Bradford instead of drafting a new QB and putting him in the exact same piece of poo poo offense

I would see what the deal is with Marquise Lee's knee in postseason drills and Sammy Watkins, and I'd also look at the linemen coming out since Jake Long has been awful. Although this is the team that drafted Jason Smith, so.... well... maybe they should be careful.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 29, 2013

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

pangstrom posted:

Okay I know this is boring to everyone so this is the last I'll post on this.

People don't often breach the contracts -- there is a clause specifically saying the team can terminate the contract if it decides the player isn't worth it anymore. Which is why I made a joke that it's not much of a contract. HILARIOUS I know especially after explaining it twice.

Hey, interesting thanks.

Maybe I'm getting older or maybe it's because I deal with contracts every day for eight hours a day but I like discussions about them. I don't really think it's a joke because you're correct, I'm just explaining why player contracts are still considered contracts.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Quest For Glory II posted:

And no one has Cutler's arm.

t:mad:

:colbert:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hey guys let's see how mind numbingly dull we can make bewbies' awesome NFL Draft thread.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Who's that?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Lazerbeam posted:

Who's that?

I think that's Wilfork.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Please get this thread back on topic. I'm glad some of you are interesting on contract chat but it's not the focus of this thread.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ozu posted:

Hey guys let's see how mind numbingly dull we can make bewbies' awesome NFL Draft thread.

That's what sort of happens when the draft is in April and we're talking about it in October.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

As a Bucs fan, what gets to be my "Suck for Luck" mantra to repeat as the season goes on?

Be Bad for Bridgewater?

Mess Up for Mariota?

Choke for Clowney?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

WampaLord posted:

As a Bucs fan, what gets to be my "Suck for Luck" mantra to repeat as the season goes on?

Be Bad for Bridgewater?

Mess Up for Mariota?

Choke for Clowney?

Fire Schiano

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

But he actively wants to tank though

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doltos posted:

But he actively wants to tank though

I'd love it if we went 0-16, the Jags sneak a win in there somehow, and Schiano gets fired literally minutes after Week 17 ends. Honestly, I'd like him to get fired ASAP, but I understand that it probably won't happen till the end of the season cause of the Glazers.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

WampaLord posted:

Be Bad for Bridgewater?

Mess Up for Mariota?

Choke for Clowney?

Get ready for Teddy
Get down for the Clown

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
poo poo The Beddy For Teddy

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
At one point I was hearing "Frowney for Clowney" a lot.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I'm going to be so mad* when an 0-16 season doesn't net the #1 pick for what's shaping up to be historically the worst team of all time. Dammit, Bucs, why can't you win one stupid game! :argh:

*(Not actually mad, but it'd be a little frustrating.)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

xeria posted:

I'm going to be so mad* when an 0-16 season doesn't net the #1 pick for what's shaping up to be historically the worst team of all time. Dammit, Bucs, why can't you win one stupid game! :argh:

The Bucs on talent still rate to be something around a .500 team or a little below and they've already had some ridiculous clownshoe losses, it's pretty hard to imagine them actually losing out even as poorly coached as they are.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

The Bucs on talent still rate to be something around a .500 team or a little below and they've already had some ridiculous clownshoe losses, it's pretty hard to imagine them actually losing out even as poorly coached as they are.

The Bucs are such a failure this year that they will fail at being failures and win a couple of games. I could see us winning against Miami, Buffalo, or St. Louis. Any one of those teams could collapse in a way that gives the Bucs a win. 2-14 is probably the absolute best we could do realistically when I look at our schedule.

With the Jags I see no potential for a win at all. Maybe the Texans if literally every first stringer died?

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 29, 2013

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Doltos posted:

It's a very easy job. Trust me on this. At least when you do it for an NFL team or a player you're enjoying the subject matter. Try doing it for loving foreclosures and loan modifications.

And the NFL job pays like 120k a year

Somebody kill me.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Lazerbeam posted:

Who's that?

Holy poo poo is that Wilfork? I think it is

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I didn't think long and hard about it but I honest to god thought it was Jamarcus Russell

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

BlindSite posted:

Tedford had some pretty big busts:

Trent Dilfer
David Carr
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller

After that list Rodgers didn't look all that sure fire.

Does anyone else remember that game where Akili Smith looked amazing against the Jets? Then he got hurt again, and promptly disappeared.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

pangstrom posted:

I didn't think long and hard about it but I honest to god thought it was Jamarcus Russell

About 30 yards too short

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

AAA DOLFAN posted:

About 30 yards too short
And 5 pounds too light

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

Does anyone else remember that game where Akili Smith looked amazing against the Jets? Then he got hurt again, and promptly disappeared.
Looks like he only played 1 game against the Jets and he was 4/6 and was knocked out in the 2nd quarter.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200112160nyj.htm

e: Oh my god he only had 1 game in his career with a Y/A over 6.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Ozu posted:

Looks like he only played 1 game against the Jets and he was 4/6 and was knocked out in the 2nd quarter.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200112160nyj.htm

e: Oh my god he only had 1 game in his career with a Y/A over 6.

And yet I was the only person in the sheep game to call him the biggest bust of all time. He was worse than Leaf. Shame on you all.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

And yet I was the only person in the sheep game to call him the biggest bust of all time. He was worse than Leaf. Shame on you all.

Only Bengals fans care about the Bengals. Also, it's a matter of expectations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is this the thread to discuss team needs and analysis and whatnot or will there be another one?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
The Bills are likely going to find themselves outside of the top 10, because their remaining schedule is pretty easy.
vs. Kansas City
@Pittsburgh
vs. New York Jets
vs. Atlanta
@ Tampa Bay
@ Jacksonville
vs. Miami

@ New England
The bolded stretch is looking way softer than it did a month ago. That's a stretch of six games vs. opponents currently at or under .500, and most of them have no hope of even reaching .500 before playing the Bills. It is difficult to conceive of the Bills finishing with less than six wins, and quite conceivable they could end up with as many as eight.

As far as early needs projections go...

S - With the Bills seemingly unwilling to make Jairus Byrd the richest safety in the NFL(and Byrd seemingly unwilling to settle for anything less), the Bills will have big hole to fill in their defensive backfield, as they can't franchise him forever.
CB - Although Stephon Gilmore is an amazing corner, the depth leaves a lot to desire. McKelvin is average-at-best as a #2 CB, and no one else on the roster is capable of playing outside.
G - While RG Kraig Urbik is fairly good, LG Doug Legursky is below-average, and there is no depth at the position.
RT - Erik Pears has been a major liability against even half-way decent pass-rushes for his entire tenure here, and neither Chris Hairston nor Zebrie Sanders show signs of supplanting him.
TE - Scott Chandler is a decent TE, but he's not a threatening receiver outside of being a big body and he can't block for poo poo.
OLB - The Bills have a number of strong role-players here(Manny Lawson has been a beast against the run and Jerry Hughes has done well as a rush linebacker), but no real 3-down OLB, which leaves them vulnerable in no-huddle situations.

Kurgarra Queen fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 30, 2013

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AAA DOLFAN posted:

It's a very easy job. Trust me on this. At least when you do it for an NFL team or a player you're enjoying the subject matter. Try doing it for loving foreclosures and loan modifications.

And the NFL job pays like 120k a year

Somebody kill me.

It's not that it's a hard job, it's monotonous and boring.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

vs. New York Jets

That's a stretch of six games vs. opponents currently under .500

I believe there's been some sort of mistake.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

sirtommygunn posted:

I believe there's been some sort of mistake.
Oh, yes, you're right. They're at .500. An easy mistake, given how bad the AFC East is this year. Even the Patriots are having a harder time than usual. I fixed it in my post.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Lazerbeam posted:

Who's that?

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Holy poo poo is that Wilfork? I think it is

It is indeed Wilfork.

But on topic:

WampaLord posted:

I'd love it if we went 0-16, the Jags sneak a win in there somehow, and Schiano gets fired literally minutes after Week 17 ends. Honestly, I'd like him to get fired ASAP, but I understand that it probably won't happen till the end of the season cause of the Glazers.

xeria posted:

Two things to think about.

1 - Its unlikely that any team will go 0-16. Remember, they are both likely to play teams in week 16 that have already secured their playoff seeds. And in the case of Tampa, they could have a mid season coaching change which generally is good for 1-2 wins right after.

2 - If you are going 0-16, the number one pick is pretty much only valuable in trade. You have way too many issues to address and way too many holes in your roster to fix with one guy. Do you think there is anyone in this draft that will draw enough picks in a trade for the first overall that would make up for being that god drat lovely of a team? Probably not.

Whats the chances of Nick O'Leary leaving FSU a year early and if he does declare, just what would the demand for him be? Any one have thoughts?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Danica! posted:

Whats the chances of Nick O'Leary leaving FSU a year early and if he does declare, just what would the demand for him be? Any one have thoughts?

I don't think he will leave early or shouldn't at least. He has fumbling issues but has been better this year. 31% of his yards this year came on one play. I'd say at this point he'd be lucky to be drafted.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Danica! posted:

Two things to think about.

1 - Its unlikely that any team will go 0-16. Remember, they are both likely to play teams in week 16 that have already secured their playoff seeds. And in the case of Tampa, they could have a mid season coaching change which generally is good for 1-2 wins right after.

Bucs play the Saints and Jags play the Colts in their final games of the season. The Saints will probably still be jockeying for #1 seed with some combination of Seahawks/49ers/Packers, and the Colts could be doing the same (with Broncos/Chiefs/Patriots). It's just as likely that these are 'real' games (as real as they can be considering how terrible the Bucs/Jags have been) as it is that they're playing backups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lord knows he doesn't need the money

• Locked thread