Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
"Let me reiterate my hook and sinker belief in this marketing plan and brand, then continue to demand that all companies and endeavors follow the same marketing plan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Mexcillent posted:

"Let me reiterate my hook and sinker belief in this marketing plan and brand, then continue to demand that all companies and endeavors follow the same marketing plan."

It's a fairly well-tested model, insofar as this industry has such a thing, and it would do a lot to counter the ill will the May 27/29 updates garnered and keep the playerbase from becoming increasingly insular and creep-tastic.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Thesaurasaurus posted:

It's a fairly well-tested model, insofar as this industry has such a thing, and it would do a lot to counter the ill will the May 27/29 updates garnered and keep the playerbase from becoming increasingly insular and creep-tastic.

It's a marketing model, that's certainly true.

But yeah, I liked the backlash against Ghost Rape, don't get me wrong. At the same time "insular and creeptastic" is kind of what happened when they stuck to feedback from RPGnet and WW forum contributors.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Mexcillent posted:

It's a marketing model, that's certainly true.

But yeah, I liked the backlash against Ghost Rape, don't get me wrong. At the same time "insular and creeptastic" is kind of what happened when they stuck to feedback from RPGnet and WW forum contributors.

Right, they're ignoring our feedback and paying (some) attention to the White Wolf Official Forums and RPGnet. I'm saying they've got it backwards, if their goal is making a clean break from the crass, juvenile poo poo.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Right, they're ignoring our and paying (some) attention to the White Wolf Official Forums and RPGnet. I'm saying they've got it backwards, if their goal is making a clean break from the crass, juvenile poo poo.

Yeah, but here you have all the dudes ennobling a marketing strategy as great.

The thing is, these mechanics are gonna probably be works in progress. Crowdsourcing them doesn't mean that something is bound to get better, but rather just generates buzz. As posted above. I have no faith in you guys to "improve" the system simply because you know it, you'll have to play, playtest to the edges of the system, and understand the full development cycle that is probably contingent for Onyx Path games right now.

In short, you guys are asking for something that isn't going to happen loudly and obnoxiously because of marketing efforts on the parts of other companies and every time I see new posts here I expect to see something interesting but instead just see constant passive aggression. Its loving tiresome.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
I figure crowd sourcing a system requires some fairly specific skills and a quite hefty amount of time spent reading and interacting with comments. If you don't have those skills, or if you don't make enough time available to do it properly, the method loses most of it's value as a development tool and, if done badly enough, most of its value as a marketing tool as well.

If I were to guess, I'd guess the developers looked at how their fan interactions had gone during the kick starter, how much time they had spent, how much stress this had caused and what they felt they had gained from it in material and marketing and decided that fan involvement in the process wasn't really their thing.

I'm inclined to agree (with the hypothetical notion) that they don't seem very well equipped for leading a crowdsourcing project, and while I do prefer an open model to a closed one, a badly done open process will just steal their time and energy, add nothing to the product and still piss off the fans.

bondetamp fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 29, 2013

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Don't get me wrong I'd like to see more info from the developers, but like crowdsourcing poo poo seen as a "must-have" that will automatically make a product better and better is loving stupid.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Mexcillent posted:

The thing is, these mechanics are gonna probably be works in progress.
Even still now, after months of work, you think the core mechanics are such a "work in progress" that they couldn't show anything at all?

Mexcillent posted:

Crowdsourcing them doesn't mean that something is bound to get better, but rather just generates buzz. As posted above. I have no faith in you guys to "improve" the system
The more eyes which are on a thing, the more swiftly problems in that thing can be detected.

The fact is that this place is far less of an approval echo-chamber than the WW forums, so I'd honestly prefer to interact with the devs here.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Mexcillent posted:

Yeah, but here you have all the dudes ennobling a marketing strategy as great.

The thing is, these mechanics are gonna probably be works in progress. Crowdsourcing them doesn't mean that something is bound to get better, but rather just generates buzz. As posted above. I have no faith in you guys to "improve" the system simply because you know it, you'll have to play, playtest to the edges of the system, and understand the full development cycle that is probably contingent for Onyx Path games right now.

In short, you guys are asking for something that isn't going to happen loudly and obnoxiously because of marketing efforts on the parts of other companies and every time I see new posts here I expect to see something interesting but instead just see constant passive aggression. Its loving tiresome.

I'm not talking about stress-testing the edge cases, I'm talking about glaring faults such as XP that can only go towards Martial Arts, or using Martial Arts to refer to half a skill, a subsystem, a body of combat styles, and charm groupings, or chargen that doesn't even try for XP parity. Also, if every element of the system is so tightly cross-linked to the others that no individual piece can stand up to scrutiny on its own, that in and of itself is cause for concern.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Dodge Charms posted:

Even still now, after months of work, you think the core mechanics are such a "work in progress" that they couldn't show anything at all?

Yes, I do. Because I know roleplaying game development is not video game development I assume that the core mechanics will be a work in progress even when published.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I'm not talking about stress-testing the edge cases, I'm talking about glaring faults such as XP that can only go towards Martial Arts, or using Martial Arts to refer to half a skill, a subsystem, a body of combat styles, and charm groupings, or chargen that doesn't even try for XP parity. Also, if every element of the system is so tightly cross-linked to the others that no individual piece can stand up to scrutiny on its own, that in and of itself is cause for concern.

Or maybe they just don't feel like showing it to you. I don't know.

I think that if you guys are aware of a mechanical limitation especially if it comes out of the dumb bullshit in 2e that the development team is probably aware of it, right?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The problem is right now it really feels like we tossed 100 bux at Duke Nukem Forever: Tabletop Edition.

I get that Ink Monkeys, who were responsible for the clean-up duty for 2E, want to make sure the core of 3E isn't going to require that kind of rebuilding further into the line. The delays aren't a big deal. But the lack of communication is a big deal. We paid for the book already, so yeah, we are going to feel a little bit entitled when there is no projected release whatsoever coupled with not even a tidbit of info every now and then.

Throw us a charm once a week or something. Something small that proves you're actually working on the book instead of snorting cocaine off hookers. That's all we want guys, it's not a lot to ask.

Oh, and no more fiction previews. You don't want us tearing apart a 2 page fluff piece far more harshly than it deserves due to boredom which is exactly what happens every time you release one. Those are actually nice to read in the context of the book, not as snippets in an email.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

mistaya posted:

The problem is right now it really feels like we tossed 100 bux at Duke Nukem Forever: Tabletop Edition.

That's your problem for being dumb enough to buy into marketing? I don't know.

I certainly didn't preorder poo poo cus I'm poor.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Mexcillent posted:

That's your problem for being dumb enough to buy into marketing? I don't know.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here? If someone invested in a product release, they tend to expect to hear progress reports on how that product is coming along. Best practice is to not snub your stakeholders when they have questions.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Mexcillent posted:

Why are you even defending them? If you didn't pony up, you don't feel like they owe you poo poo. A lot of us did, and we do feel they owe us something (a completed loving book) and wanting a progress update now and then isn't a lot to ask since we're the ones who paid them to write it. And got them multiple pay increases for doing so during the Kickstarter itself if memory serves.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

mistaya posted:

I get that Ink Monkeys, who were responsible for the clean-up duty for 2E, want to make sure the core of 3E isn't going to require that kind of rebuilding further into the line. The delays aren't a big deal. But the lack of communication is a big deal. We paid for the book already, so yeah, we are going to feel a little bit entitled when there is no projected release whatsoever coupled with not even a tidbit of info every now and then.

Throw us a charm once a week or something. Something small that proves you're actually working on the book instead of snorting cocaine off hookers. That's all we want guys, it's not a lot to ask.

Oh, and no more fiction previews. You don't want us tearing apart a 2 page fluff piece far more harshly than it deserves due to boredom which is exactly what happens every time you release one. Those are actually nice to read in the context of the book, not as snippets in an email.
Yeah, they really ought to shift from "Hype: the Marketing" into some kind of investor relations conversation.

It's a bit of a concern that the one and only thing they gave themselves a deadline for -- the post-Kickstarter rapeghost apology -- seems to have gone forgotten.

I actually like the fiction bits being available outside of the book, because they're things I would send around to players to convey the tone and themes of the game, to sell the game as a thing which they should buy so we can play it together. (But I do agree that they are not currently what I would like to see in terms of content previews.)

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Just because something works as a marketing strategy doesn't mean it can't also improve the product. A lot of criticisms of preview material have been good, and while the majority of them have been dumb, I do think there's room for the good ones to resound and be heard, talked over, and potentially implemented. I don't want to talk about creepy ghosts again, but during the Infernals preview, the developers heard "Hey, it would be cooler if the Yozi Escape wasn't a thing that was talked up this edition, and the main thing was just them living vicariously through their Green Sun Children." The developers heard this, said it was what they wanted to do but were worried about the fan response, and implemented it.

It's not vulnerable to "design by committee" because the designers ultimately aren't obligated to respond to fan criticism, and the fan criticism will generally swing both ways anyway. It is a way to keep the fans emotionally invested and excited about the product, and it's also a way to catch hilariously stupid rules or samples before things go to print, like 5th Edition Shadowrun's Ultra-lethal Flashbangs or everything the Pathfinder developers ignored. Personally, I think the game would benefit from even 5% of the Kickstarter backers looking over the preview material and questioning things. poo poo, while Ferrinus and I have butted heads several times over the best way to do things, he's pointed out enough potential problems in existing stuff that he and one other skeptical eye alone would probably justify the policy on the basis of whether it would make the game better.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Given Holden's utterly inane defensive comments about certain aspects of the system it might be better for all parties that his work is not publicly available until we can fix it ourselves.

While the KS was going on he defended the XP/BP divide by saying he once powergamed Nobilis therefore all systems can be point-optimized therefore there's no point in designing a system that discourages point-optimization. Do you really think anyone is going to make an argument that convinces a guy like that to do anything?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
While I am of course a genius and could easily improve E3 tenfold with just a day to peruse the .pdf, I don't really think a deliberate strategy of crowdsourcing is going to make or break the game - as long as they actually playtest it like they said they would, and five out the pdf early for typo-proofing like they've said they're gonna, the game's gonna be fine.

It's just, like... I got to see some nWoD mechanics early, and really liked them. I got to see some of the Exalted 2e mechanics early, and thought THOSE were pretty cool, at the time (evidence that broad previews don't perfectly defend, heh, against lousy rules). And, indeed, a series of mechanics previews were underway for Exalted 3e, and then suddenly stopped, because I guess the WW forums kvetched too loudly and then all this haunting started up. So, like, come on. Come on!

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Swagger Dagger posted:

So what I'm gathering is that Exalted development is like the catholic church.

You talk to a priest who talks to god, and every now and then some smoke is released and a new edition emerges from a cloistered development session.

And also like the catholic church, Exalted has a pretty bad history with the sexual abuse of children.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

You know, I want mechanics previews as much as the rest of you, but I'd accept a total blackout in exchange for an oath that character generation won't involve spending one resource to buy traits at flat costs while character advancement involves spending a different resource on the same traits that now have either proportionately different flat costs, scaling costs, or no cost at all.

I tried to tell Holden that this was tiresome back when Trinity was still a thing and rather than force GMs who care about balance and marginal utility to devise restrictive house rules or crunch numbers to get a chargen system where people aren't left behind he should just replace exp with dots.

His response disappointed me. :rolldice:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ErichZahn posted:

I tried to tell Holden that this was tiresome back when Trinity was still a thing and rather than force GMs who care about balance and marginal utility to devise restrictive house rules or crunch numbers to get a chargen system where people aren't left behind he should just replace exp with dots.

His response disappointed me. :rolldice:

Remember, perfect balance is impossible, which is why a clarity/newbie-friendliness issue that has nothing whatsoever to do with balance should remain in the game for legacy reasons. I hope they make us roll for our attributes next.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Remember, perfect balance is impossible, which is why a clarity/newbie-friendliness issue that has nothing whatsoever to do with balance should remain in the game for legacy reasons. I hope they make us roll for our attributes next.
I'm sick of all this "roll"playing.

Clearly we should ROLEplay for stats just like we did for 2e Backgrounds after chargen.

There are no official mechanics, therefore the official mechanics can't be unbalanced. Genius!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Mexcillent posted:

In terms of tiresome constant passive aggression, no one is obligated to post poo poo you want to read, dude. I am super sorry you hate that other people have opinions on Exalted but if you could ease back on the lectures on what people are allowed to post that would be super, kay?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Okay, here's my character sheet:

Martial Arts: 4
Martial Arts: 5
Martial Arts: 1
Martial Arts: 2 (Martial Arts +3)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Okay, here's my character sheet:

Martial Arts: 4
Martial Arts: 5
Martial Arts: 1
Martial Arts: 2 (Martial Arts +3)

Spreading out like this is suboptimal. Have you considered focusing on Martial Arts?

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Just because something works as a marketing strategy doesn't mean it can't also improve the product. A lot of criticisms of preview material have been good, and while the majority of them have been dumb, I do think there's room for the good ones to resound and be heard, talked over, and potentially implemented. I don't want to talk about creepy ghosts again, but during the Infernals preview, the developers heard "Hey, it would be cooler if the Yozi Escape wasn't a thing that was talked up this edition, and the main thing was just them living vicariously through their Green Sun Children." The developers heard this, said it was what they wanted to do but were worried about the fan response, and implemented it.

Being so worried about the fan response that you'd make a "safe" move which no one actually wanted is not a good way to be!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

Spreading out like this is suboptimal. Have you considered focusing on Martial Arts?

I thought about it, but it'd leave me with too little Martial Arts to use Martial Arts.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

RPZip posted:

And also like the catholic church, Exalted has a pretty bad history with the sexual abuse of children.

Hahah you made someone mad.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Pumpkin_Paine posted:

Hahah you made someone mad.

I'm so proud. :allears:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
People get so hung up over factual statements. :ssh:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Right, they're ignoring our feedback and paying (some) attention to the White Wolf Official Forums and RPGnet. I'm saying they've got it backwards, if their goal is making a clean break from the crass, juvenile poo poo.

Are you typing this stuff with a straight face?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

e:removed.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 30, 2013

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I really think assumed hostility between this forum in particular and the Exalted devs is unwarranted? Like, I still think Holden or whoever's insistence that Abyssal charms should be mandatorily rather than optionally sexy is pretty goofy, but it's not like those guys are ardent defenders of E: Infernals or anything?

I blame the current gulf on Winson Paine's enforcing the forum rules. If Holden's low effort posting had been allowed to slide, we'd all still be hanging out and being friends...

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Honestly I wasn't thinking about Holden much at all. I just found it funny, the idea that people think this place would be better for a clean break from juvenile poo poo than the progressive hugbox of RPG.net.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 30, 2013

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Are you typing this stuff with a straight face?

I don't think that's outlandish at all. They have always taken a lot of stuff off of the WW forums, especially, and those things are basically a massive loving blowjob echochamber

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013
I do think this place would be a good forum for honest, critical feedback. The feeling I get on RPGnet and the WW forums is very polarized, in a deeply for-us-or-against-us kind of way, to an extent that I usually only see in edition wars, and that kind of polarization prohibits criticism.

The WW forums are even worse.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Stallion Cabana posted:

I don't think that's outlandish at all. They have always taken a lot of stuff off of the WW forums, especially, and those things are basically a massive loving blowjob echochamber

To go along with what you are saying, I agree that RPG.net is significantly better than the White Wolf forums because RPG.net mods are willing to ban people for being terrible in the worst ways, but if you're terrible in constantly grating instead of disgusting and offensive ways, you can survive on RPG.net for quite a long time before being banned. The last time I tried to discuss Exalted on RPG.net, I believe I ended up butting heads with someone complaining about how my proposed suggestions to improve the setting would mess with their headcanon. I like to think if anyone in this thread started complaining about how people's suggestions about the setting were to mess with their headcanon, the Paine Traine would roll into town and do something funny.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

To go along with what you are saying, I agree that RPG.net is significantly better than the White Wolf forums because RPG.net mods are willing to ban people for being terrible in the worst ways, but if you're terrible in constantly grating instead of disgusting and offensive ways, you can survive on RPG.net for quite a long time before being banned. The last time I tried to discuss Exalted on RPG.net, I believe I ended up butting heads with someone complaining about how my proposed suggestions to improve the setting would mess with their headcanon. I like to think if anyone in this thread started complaining about how people's suggestions about the setting were to mess with their headcanon, the Paine Traine would roll into town and do something funny.

I'm imagining essays on why their headcanon is better then the normal fluff, to be judged by the Mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I dunno, at this point it's not even an issue of criticism and feedback. I'd like to see some content just because they've been making wild promises this entire time and have done absolutely nothing to back it up except whine about the fans and whine about past writers and tell us it'll be cool honest but we can't show you (but it'll be cool also it's not coming out for another year).

You can only be hype about promises for so long.

• Locked thread