Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shageletic posted:

On the cusp of dropping the League again. I'd be interested to see what that writing room is like, because while the cast is always excellent, the writing dives into juvenile (and unfunny) as gently caress and just downright unpleasant every few episodes. I really can't ever recommend it to anyone.

Listening to "How Did This Get Made" (which is a podcast starring Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukas and June Diane Raphael) and Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas both have really juvenile senses of humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I only just finished season one of Danger 5, but didn't there use to be a thread for it here? I can't find one, though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There's a difference. Its why I put unfunny in paranthesis. I love juvenile. Just don't be mean-spirited about it. Coming off the sixth ep of the current episode, the way they treat Andre (and how, how many gay sex jokes can one show handle?! Apparently all of them!) left a bad taste in my mouth. Its punching downwards at this point, by smug bastards that never get any sort of comeuppance. Pete is like a Seinfeld who is never funny and ends each episode giving a swirlie to Newman. The dog and kid abuse was just the cherry on top.

Its also incredibly formuliac juvenile humor. Taco has a wacky new business that fails. Kevin has something awful happen in regard to food or his stomach. Pete wins. Andre mimes unthinkingly gay sex.

Ruxin is alright though.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I enjoy the League (and still do, despite how weak this season is), but there was a time during Seasons 2 and 3 when people were saying that it was better than It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia which was just straight up crazy talk.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Andre left a bad taste in your mouth, huh?

(This is the part where you say yes, and describe the taste in a way that sounds like you're talking about gay sex and no normal person would describe any taste.)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

CPFortest posted:

I enjoy the League (and still do, despite how weak this season is), but there was a time during Seasons 2 and 3 when people were saying that it was better than It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia which was just straight up crazy talk.
I don't think it's so outlandish of a claim, Season 8 of Sunny was one of the weakest in my opinion.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Thread for @Midnight is up. Enjoy!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
The League is still funny enough that I can justify leaving the TV on after Sunny and before Totally Biased, even though this season is surprisingly weak.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I dropped the League about halfway through Season 4. Something wasn't clicking like it did in Seasons 1-3, which I still think are fantastic. It just felt like it was treading the same ground over and over again.

E:

Best of season 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLUaszCUPFo

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 29, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think season 2 and 3 of the League are as good as Sunny's best seasons, but this year it's just too lazy for sure. It's still funny, but Ruxin is becoming increasingly the most likable character, which should tell you something.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Well, he's been Sacko twice in a row. He was my favorite character until I discovered Nick Kroll's comedy, and now it's such a jarring role to see Kroll in.

Kevin's meltdown is absolutely the apex of the show. Season 2 and 3, I did think, were better than the concurrently airing seasons of Sunny. Sunny is annihilating the League this year, though. The League has had one good episode this year, one that broke formula.

I wonder if this season of The League is so lazy because it's the first time they'd already been renewed for another season before production had even begun. Season 4 was a significant decline, but it wasn't bad. Season 5 has just been rough to watch.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I actually laughed. Spoilers through season 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDqGAUvWKkU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

I actually laughed. Spoilers through season 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDqGAUvWKkU

The Walking Dead one is so much better, too.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxvo8AcpQQ

precision fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 29, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

precision posted:

The Walking Dead one is so much better, too.
I stopped watching TWD a couple episodes into season 2, though I've kept up with its "reputation", and yeah, that one was really good.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy poo poo this month's episode of Real Sports. The story of Friends of Jaclyn.

Oh man that was rough. I was only half paying attention and it still destroyed me.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Andre left a bad taste in your mouth, huh?

(This is the part where you say yes, and describe the taste in a way that sounds like you're talking about gay sex and no normal person would describe any taste.)

I still like The League, but this poo poo got old after the first time. The banter between all the characters is great when it comes across as natural, but that Andre gay sex mime stuff is not only completely unfunny, but just unbelievable that (a) Andre wouldn't pick up on the innuendo and (b) he would act out those things in the exact way the others want him to. I just can't believe it's become a recurring thing in a show of, generally, quite high standard.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Turns out Irish Joe isn't a troll, he's just Chinese: http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/10/25/why_2_broke_girls_is_the_most_popular_us_sitcom_in_china

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
Couple random questions. 1) When does Lost Girl start up again? I just finished the 2 seasons they have on Netflix. And 2) If I buy Season 3 off of Amazon or iTunes, will it be a US censored version? I had read that Lost Girl gets censored before it hits American T.V.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I say with confidence that The League has absolutely never been as good as Always Sunny.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only saw the first 4 episodes of Sunny and didn't care for it. The League was hysterical from the start and only started dropping off in season 4.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Mu Zeta posted:

I only saw the first 4 episodes of Sunny and didn't care for it. The League was hysterical from the start and only started dropping off in season 4.

Reverse that for me. Although I was more stubborn and gave The League a season and a half to make me laugh before finally giving up and realizing it was never gonna happen.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Well I saw Daniel Tosh's butthole tonight.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mostly agree that this season of The League has been a noticeable step down (although still far from 'weak'), but that episode where Andre tried to do standup was absolutely hysterical. I think by the end I even preferred it to the Raffi episode. I do have to agree with the thoughts on the crassness, though. They've stepped it up with plotlines like Ruxin pissing on his neighbour's lawn and Andre vs birdshit, and it's unpleasant in a whole different way that isn't fun to watch at all.

Never been an Almost Sunny fan - hated season 1 and then tried to start season 2 but couldn't get into it despite the noticeable improvement - but if people want to recommend individual episodes I will give them a shot very soon. I'm willing to give it more chances.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
A short list of good, accessible Sunny episodes:
The Gang Gets Invincible
Paddy's Pub: The Worst Bar in Philadelphia
The Gang Gets Extreme: Home Makeover Edition
The Gang Wrestles for the Troops
The D.E.N.N.I.S. System
The Gang Buys a Boat
Sweet Dee Gets Audited
Frank's Pretty Woman
Charlie and Dee Find Love

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Irish Joe posted:

The Gang Gets Invincible
The D.E.N.N.I.S. System
The Gang Buys a Boat
Sweet Dee Gets Audited
Frank's Pretty Woman

Unironically endorsing an Irish Joe post ITT

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I wonder if The DENNIS System or The Gang Buys A Boat are good to watch if you haven't been watching long enough to "get" Dennis.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

I wonder if The DENNIS System or The Gang Buys A Boat are good to watch if you haven't been watching long enough to "get" Dennis.

Oh they totally are, those are two of my go-to episodes for new viewers.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
While on a related topic: are there actual numbers about how FXX is doing or what expectations were for it? Because at least in my neck of the woods, it's been a total poo poo-show. It's still on the sports package, so a buddy of mine can't get it without shelling out another $50 a month. For the first month OF the network, it ran on east coast time (I'm in CA). Then last week, they fixed that. THIS WEEK, though, it's hosed up in some entirely different fashion, but this time the cable guide is incorrect too, because both of the Totally Biased episodes we DVRed this week (one at the rerun hour, one at debut) have been entirely different shows. Tomorrow I'm going to have to spend part of my day off trying to figure out just in what way the guide is timeshifted from the actual programming, because none of their shows are streaming ANYWHERE unless I want to buy an episode if we miss The League/Sunny (and Totally Biased is just ENTIRELY hosed as far as I can tell, cool).

I think I just kind of wanted to vent that, but seriously. Is this common? They can't just be loving with me and me alone, right?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I think everyone can relate to "Sweet Dee's Dating a Retarded Person" and "Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare"

(For people trying to find them on netflix that would be the 9th episode of the third season, and the 4th episode of the second season)

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 30, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bown posted:

Never been an Almost Sunny fan - hated season 1 and then tried to start season 2 but couldn't get into it despite the noticeable improvement - but if people want to recommend individual episodes I will give them a shot very soon. I'm willing to give it more chances.
I'm not sure how far you got into season 2 but there are so many great episodes across both it and season 3 that I would be hard pressed to find one that wasn't considered a classic from that span. "The Gang Goes Jihad", "Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare", and "Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom" is one hell of an opening act following the first episode at least.

hope and vaseline posted:

so they set up Charlie on a match.com date and he says he's a full-on rapist instead of philantropist
Y'know? Africans. Dyslexics. Children. That sorta thing.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 30, 2013

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It really took me about mid-way through the second season to get hooked on Sunny, and even still with my low tolerance for cringe humor I can only watch a few episodes per day. There are some moments where I'm just curled up into a fetal ball crying with laughter, like the last one I saw where the Waitress was getting married so they set up Charlie on a match.com date and he says he's a full-on rapist instead of philantropist

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Well I saw Daniel Tosh's butthole tonight.

That sounds like your average episode of Tosh.0.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lycus posted:

The Gang Broke Dee and Storm of the Century are good Creepy Dennis episodes too.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
So Guy Fieri got in a fight with his hairdresser. He could not be more stereotypical; they had a few drinks, Guy probably said "So you're a big fag, right? You do my hair. Don't do me." Then Ariel starts crying uncontrollably and kicking oh god I love Ariel http://www.tmz.com/2013/10/30/guy-fieri-hairdresser-fight-video/

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I didn't know that Guy Fieri's hair required anything more than bleach, Elmer's Glue and sunglasses.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gonz posted:

I didn't know that Guy Fieri's hair required anything more than bleach, Elmer's Glue and sunglasses.

That ain't glue in that hair.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

raditts posted:

That ain't glue in that hair.

Hot.

I'm wrapping up a rewatch of Louie. I posted this on twitter but it bears repeating: If the "Late Show" episodes aren't considered classic episodes of TV in five years, something went terribly wrong.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The David Lynch scenes alone were incredible in and of themselves.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Irish Joe posted:

The Gang Gets Invincible
The D.E.N.N.I.S. System
The Gang Buys a Boat
Sweet Dee Gets Audited
Frank's Pretty Woman

The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis and Frank Sets Sweet Dee on Fire are my go to episodes for new people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The Genius coming back next month isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCHcnw6HZh4

• Locked thread