Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Zoot Suit Mahoney posted:

Hey! That's my campus! Yeah, I've always wanted to interact with them but I'd probably just get shouted down.

Having tried to talk with a similar group, I can pretty much guarantee you would be. I tried asking one guy how they could rationalize some parts of their message with statements made in the Gospels, a serious question because I wanted to know why they were literally ignoring parts of Jesus's teachings, and the guy literally shouted back "DID GOD HARDEN PHARAOH'S HEART, YES OR NO?" back at me, over and over again. I calmly said "you're obviously not interested in having a discussion with me, so I guess we're done" and he started yelling "THIS MAN DENIES THE TRUTH OF JESUS CHRIST AND WON'T EVEN ADMIT IT" as I walked away.

I think they were the same group that were told they could not come on campus anymore because the "First Amendment Zone" did not give them the right to start screaming "BLASPHEMOUS WHORE" at female students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

and the guy literally shouted back "DID GOD HARDEN PHARAOH'S HEART, YES OR NO?"
In the context of your question, what does that even mean? It's like the guy fails the Turing Test and is just spewing random stuff.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

MisterBadIdea posted:

Homosexuality: A perversion of something God created; Good!

Pffft, they need to step up their rhetoric if they want to appeal to youth today:

You hear that, homosexuals? The moon is strictly for heteronauts.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

VitalSigns posted:

Also because they don't actually give a drat about aborted babies. It's all about punishing women for having sex and they have a naive view that banning abortions and contraception and telling people abstinence is the only way to avoid pregnancy is going to eradicate premarital sex.

For men, they can get around their guilt at having premarital sex by making sure the consequences fall squarely on the woman for being a 'slut' by having sex with them.

That's it.

As someone who spent at least half a decade praying daily to "end abortion", this is (I think) a really inaccurate and ungenerous characterization of the majority of pro-life people. Especially now that we have a whole generation of people who grew up in a society where abortion was a major issue (remember that most Protestants, as recently as the early 1980s, objected to the Papist idea that life begins at conception).

For most people, I claim, being pro-life is a pure emotional reaction. Abortion, especially if you've never had one, seems pretty gross, or at least unsettling. If you're told by religious authorities that life begins at conception, then abortion is at best a great tragedy. And of course the movement plays this up tremendously, relentlessly pushing images of the fetus as just a miniature child or of abortions as the most disgusting of procedures. Meanwhile, the pregnant woman is almost entirely forgotten: the images show fetuses floating in black voids, the rhetoric focuses on "babies" being "killed", etc. It's very rare that a pro-life person will discuss the woman without being forced to by an interlocutor, and then in only the most superficial of ways.

Essentially, almost all pro-life messaging is meant to be thought-terminating: BABIES are being MURDERED so stop thinking and sign this petition. And whatever you do, for the love of god never think about it from the perspective of a pregnant woman. Just write a letter to the legislature to ask them to overturn Roe v Wade and you're working to stop baby murder; doesn't that feel good?

And so, when you ask people "what should happen to a woman who gets an abortion?" it short-circuits all of this. Because they've seriously never thought about that question. In many cases--certainly in my case--they've never even thought about what it would be like for a woman to consider an abortion. They really don't want to be anti-woman, they just want to save babies, so having to confront the reality of thousands of women doing time in jail is jarring. You can practically see what they want to say, written on their faces: "but maybe if we make it illegal, people will just stop doing it."

Anyway, none of this is meant to minimize that pro-life is a misogynist and harmful ideology. It absolutely relies on the ability of its supporters to avoid empathizing with women and ignore their lived experiences. And of course, in effect, it is a reaction against feminism that seeks to entrench male control over women's lives. But it's important to recognize that many people really do think that they're involved to save babies, and that's why it's so easy to give them cognitive dissonance like this.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In the context of your question, what does that even mean? It's like the guy fails the Turing Test and is just spewing random stuff.

Yeah, I got nothing. About the only thing I skipped was the step where he responded to my question with the passage about the whole "hardened pharaoh's heart" thing, and then started shouting at me when I said "uh, that's not really answering my question". So...yeah, it was still a total non-sequitur.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mornacale posted:

As someone who spent at least half a decade praying daily to "end abortion", this is (I think) a really inaccurate and ungenerous characterization of the majority of pro-life people. Especially now that we have a whole generation of people who grew up in a society where abortion was a major issue (remember that most Protestants, as recently as the early 1980s, objected to the Papist idea that life begins at conception).

For most people, I claim, being pro-life is a pure emotional reaction. Abortion, especially if you've never had one, seems pretty gross, or at least unsettling. If you're told by religious authorities that life begins at conception, then abortion is at best a great tragedy. And of course the movement plays this up tremendously, relentlessly pushing images of the fetus as just a miniature child or of abortions as the most disgusting of procedures. Meanwhile, the pregnant woman is almost entirely forgotten: the images show fetuses floating in black voids, the rhetoric focuses on "babies" being "killed", etc. It's very rare that a pro-life person will discuss the woman without being forced to by an interlocutor, and then in only the most superficial of ways.

Essentially, almost all pro-life messaging is meant to be thought-terminating: BABIES are being MURDERED so stop thinking and sign this petition. And whatever you do, for the love of god never think about it from the perspective of a pregnant woman. Just write a letter to the legislature to ask them to overturn Roe v Wade and you're working to stop baby murder; doesn't that feel good?

And so, when you ask people "what should happen to a woman who gets an abortion?" it short-circuits all of this. Because they've seriously never thought about that question. In many cases--certainly in my case--they've never even thought about what it would be like for a woman to consider an abortion. They really don't want to be anti-woman, they just want to save babies, so having to confront the reality of thousands of women doing time in jail is jarring. You can practically see what they want to say, written on their faces: "but maybe if we make it illegal, people will just stop doing it."

Anyway, none of this is meant to minimize that pro-life is a misogynist and harmful ideology. It absolutely relies on the ability of its supporters to avoid empathizing with women and ignore their lived experiences. And of course, in effect, it is a reaction against feminism that seeks to entrench male control over women's lives. But it's important to recognize that many people really do think that they're involved to save babies, and that's why it's so easy to give them cognitive dissonance like this.

Long story short, they're morons.

Thanks.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Yeah, I got nothing. About the only thing I skipped was the step where he responded to my question with the passage about the whole "hardened pharaoh's heart" thing, and then started shouting at me when I said "uh, that's not really answering my question". So...yeah, it was still a total non-sequitur.

Theologically it's a complex question. About a dozen verses in Exodus talk about the Lord hardening Pharaoh's heart so that the whole plagues-pursuit-Red Sea thing would play out like it was supposed to. The question becomes, should Pharaoh be held accountable for sins that God forced him to commit? This touches on predestination and an omnipotent/omniscient God vs free will, and into Calvinism a bit.

It almost sounds like the dude was using it as a shibboleth, where if you don't give the right answer you get screamed at as a nonbeliever. But what it has to do with anything in particular I have no idea, unless he was just using it as an excuse not to engage with you in any serious discussion.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Zoot Suit Mahoney posted:

Hey! That's my campus! Yeah, I've always wanted to interact with them but I'd probably just get shouted down.

sup kent goon.

Yeah, I wanted to debate them, and see what their reaction would have been when I revealed that I am in fact a christian.

Alas, didn't want to get too involved with the crazies.

The funny part is..Kent does indeed have a decent sized ministry itself! But they're pretty chill about it, and are quaker-based. There's also quite a few churches across the street from campus.

Also, Update: Yeah they put up a new sign pretty much calling "The Big Bang" stupid, etc.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

It almost sounds like the dude was using it as a shibboleth, where if you don't give the right answer you get screamed at as a nonbeliever.

No, think of it like a Markov chain. There's no "right answer", just various flavors of screaming at non-believers. I ran into a street preacher in Nashville who was shouting about how people had forgotten the cross. I pulled mine out and he quickly switched to screaming about false christians thinking symbols could save them or something.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I've found this article one of the more cathartic when you start to think there's no reasoning with pro-life ideologues: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2012/10/how-i-lost-faith-in-the-pro-life-movement.html

In other news, one of my [terrible] friends posted that Driscoll-linked list, about marrying a pro-choice person with "9. You're wrong" as one of the "arguments." I didn't want to wade into that particular quagmire, but some other Christian friend jumped in and basically told him off for the unreasonableness of it and its disingenuous arguments, and he slightly conceded the point. :feelsgood:

Back to our regularly scheduled bullcrap, another friend posted something from a black Tea Party member decrying Alan Grayson's comparison of the Tea Party to the KKK wherein he said it was the Democrats who were the KKK; after all, they founded it, and they've kept blacks on the plantation for the last 160 years! When I took exception and mentioned the Southern Strategy, he either criticized my wording or insulted me for thinking I knew what is was like being black (I had said no such thing). I was just giving him a factual correction. :smith:

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Pretty sure part of their strategy is to berate you with illogical arguments that you can't fight back against without your head exploding.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mornacale posted:

I'm sorry but you can't ignore the huge overlap of pro-life groups with the anti-contraception and anti-HPV-vaccine groups. There is no argument against the HPV vaccine that is not rooted in ensuring sluts get their divine come-uppance with a bout of cervical cancer. You also can't ignore that their response to the question of a return to back-alley abortions is that a woman who would abort her baby deserves any injury or death that may befall her as a consequence of her illegal abortion.

I understand your experience because I shared those same views at one time, and what I can say is at best sincere pro-lifers are duped by Puritans who really do want to punish 'immoral' women (coincidentally mostly poor and darker skinned), but more likely they just don't give a poo poo about those women or bear them active malice.

Perhaps those questions can sway some people who really have not examined what their pro-life policies would mean, but unfortunately for the pro-lifers among my family and acquaintances from back home, the suffering of 'bad' women is a feature, not an unfortunate side-effect :(

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 30, 2013

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

MariusLecter posted:

Long story short, they're morons.

Thanks.

Seven in ten americans describe themselves as somewhat or strongly pro-choice. Six in ten self-identify as somewhat or strongly pro-life. 52% of Americans say Abortion is morally wrong, and 56% of Americans say it should be legal in all or most cases. Huge swaths of Americans view abortion as morally complex and have themselves debated the very issues Mornacale described. Just reducing "pro-lifers" to "morons" is pretty drat smarmy when Mornacle outlined exactly how a good chunk of Americans have come to their opinions on abortion and why the issue is more complex for some people.

http://publicreligion.org/research/...e-culture-wars/

VitalSigns posted:

I'm sorry but you can't ignore the huge overlap of pro-life groups with the anti-contraception and anti-HPV-vaccine groups. There is no argument against the HPV vaccine that is not rooted in ensuring sluts get their divine come-uppance with a bout of cervical cancer. You also can't ignore that their response to the question of a return to back-alley abortions is that a woman who would abort her baby deserves any injury or death that may befall her as a consequence of her illegal abortion.

I understand your experience because I shared those same views at one time, and what I can say is at best sincere pro-lifers are duped by Puritans who really do want to punish 'immoral' women (coincidentally mostly poor and darker skinned), but more likely they just don't give a poo poo about those women or bear them active malice.

Perhaps those questions can sway some people who really have not examined what their pro-life policies would mean, but unfortunately for the pro-lifers among my family and acquaintances from back home, the suffering of 'bad' women is a feature, not an unfortunate side-effect :(

The issue is that "pro-lifers" and the "pro-life movement" are two very different things. Like I posted above, a majority of Americans are pro-lifers. But only a relatively tiny minority adhere to the views espoused by the pro-life movement, and an even smaller minority go above and beyond that movement and push for what amounts to a "no sex for women" worldview.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
At my college, I saw a couple years of the pro-lifers that would come into the main square of our campus pushing those aborted baby photos. My school was quite liberal which caused massive amounts of counterprotestors to come out which caused a huge shitstorm. At the time, I was actually involved in the school's Catholic group, and the leader of the Pro-life movement was also a part of it as well. The next day he proudly proclaimed that while he may have not changed anyone's mind on the topic, he at least got people talking about the issue, which was a victory in his eyes. I stopped going to that group and more or less became a deist after that.

They did that approach each quarter, then got warned by campus police to stop causing disturbances. They finally were told they could no longer hold demonstrations due to disturbing the peace too much. The following day, The LaRouchePAC got banned for campus as well :v:

Seriously though, people just wanted to walk from one class to the next. I'm sure seeing gloried bloody babies was just what they wanted to see on the way to their lecture :sigh:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

seiferguy posted:

At my college, I saw a couple years of the pro-lifers that would come into the main square of our campus pushing those aborted baby photos. My school was quite liberal which caused massive amounts of counterprotestors to come out which caused a huge shitstorm. At the time, I was actually involved in the school's Catholic group, and the leader of the Pro-life movement was also a part of it as well. The next day he proudly proclaimed that while he may have not changed anyone's mind on the topic, he at least got people talking about the issue, which was a victory in his eyes. I stopped going to that group and more or less became a deist after that.

They did that approach each quarter, then got warned by campus police to stop causing disturbances. They finally were told they could no longer hold demonstrations due to disturbing the peace too much. The following day, The LaRouchePAC got banned for campus as well :v:

Seriously though, people just wanted to walk from one class to the next. I'm sure seeing gloried bloody babies was just what they wanted to see on the way to their lecture :sigh:

Baby murder is more important than those people's sensibilities. Abortion is a modern-day holocaust and we're justified in using any means to prevent it, except of course spending my tax dollars on birth control pills for sluts.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

ChlamydiaJones posted:

The gun nuts had two successful recalls in Colorado a short while ago so now they're trying for another one. Of course one of their advocates want the argument ad Hitlerum and received this in response;

Ah. Evie Hudak. I went to high school with her daughter, she was my Odyssey of the Mind coach, and she's friends with me on Facebook.

They failed to get the signatures to recall the first time. I'm sure they'll fail again. Heck, she beat a local ad blitz against her during her campaign from a pretty far right Republican. She's a pretty centrist politician, which plays well in that NW suburb swing area. And telling a rape victim "I sympathize with the trauma you went through, but I'm not sure a gun would have stopped it," is pretty crappy grounds for recall.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Those pro-life protests with late-term abortion photos have to be traumatic for women who have had miscarriages :(

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

nyquil hangover posted:

Those pro-life protests with late-term abortion photos have to be traumatic for women who have had miscarriages :(

It was God's will to get another little angel to Heaven, they were too good for this world :angel:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Emanuel Collective posted:

The issue is that "pro-lifers" and the "pro-life movement" are two very different things. Like I posted above, a majority of Americans are pro-lifers. But only a relatively tiny minority adhere to the views espoused by the pro-life movement, and an even smaller minority go above and beyond that movement and push for what amounts to a "no sex for women" worldview.

And looking down on women who are seen as "too promiscuous" while excusing similar behavior in men is also something many Americans do, and I would not at all be surprised to learn that slut-shaming misogynists are the majority even if only a smaller minority go above and beyond and push for what amounts to a "no sex for women" worldview.

Anyway, I'm not sure that self-identification as "pro-life" is meaningful if some of the same people identify as "pro-choice" which should be mutually exclusive positions even if not everyone agrees on what the dividing line between them is (how many restrictions can you support before you are no longer pro-choice?). A majority of Americans in that poll said abortion should be legal in all or most cases and that is certainly not a pro-life position, which allows only a few circumstances (health, rape, incest, etc) so I don't quite understand what you are arguing here. If you mean that some people who call themselves pro-life don't understand what the term means or ever think about it too much or let it affect their politics, then sure I'll agree there, but we weren't discussing those people, we were discussing the people who treat abortion as a major issue and campaign, protest, vote, etc accordingly. The people you seem to want to refer to as the "pro-life movement". If you want to define "pro-life" by the subjective and nonuniform self-identifications of poll subjects and not by the actual political positions they hold, then okay, but you had to know that wasn't what we were talking about.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 30, 2013

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

It's a complex issue for some people because he described people who didn't think things through. And these same people make up their minds on something that hurts others while they believe that they are good people. I went through that "oh no babies!" thing too but what took no research and just a minimal amount of brain power was to realize that it's none of my business. Even if it's a slut who wants to get rid of her pregnancy to make time for partying. So those morons can cry a river for all i care.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Seven in ten americans describe themselves as somewhat or strongly pro-choice. Six in ten self-identify as somewhat or strongly pro-life. 52% of Americans say Abortion is morally wrong, and 56% of Americans say it should be legal in all or most cases. Huge swaths of Americans view abortion as morally complex and have themselves debated the very issues Mornacale described. Just reducing "pro-lifers" to "morons" is pretty drat smarmy when Mornacle outlined exactly how a good chunk of Americans have come to their opinions on abortion and why the issue is more complex for some people.

This is a copout argument that only shows Americans to refuse to even consider the implications of their views. They don't consider abortion statistics. They don't consider adoption statistics. They don't actually look at the legal implications of actually banning abortions in states that have attempted to or fully implemented some type of anti-abortion laws. There was a video awhile back where someone with a camera and a microphone actively confronted people in Colorado Springs with a simple question "If abortion is illegal, should a mother who has an illegal abortion be tried for murder?". These people literally fell apart on the spot when trying to answer that question.

When it comes down to it, it's an emotional appeal. It's a synthetic moral outrage built around some inherently reactionary views that Americans typically hold over just about everything. Don't try to legitimize a view simply because a lot of people believe it. A lot of people are retarded. Americans are no exception.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Job Truniht posted:

There was a video awhile back where someone with a camera and a microphone actively confronted people in Colorado Springs with a simple question "If abortion is illegal, should a mother who has an illegal abortion be tried for murder?". These people literally fell apart on the spot when trying to answer that question.

In addition to the reasons posted earlier, another reason for this logical disconnect is that many of these protesters have a family member or friend who has had an abortion, or perhaps they themselves have had one. They never stop to consider the ramifications of something like that, because of course their situation was different.

I'll take any excuse to repost The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion.

I feel like a lot of Pro-Lifers believe that abortions are a really big deal, and need to be considered more deeply by women before having them. They consider abortions to be immoral, as opposed to actually wrong, and have the false sense that laws define morality in our culture, when they really don't. This also completely ignores the fact that women do consider abortion decisions to be very important, and consider their options before making decisions, but nope, "women are sluts and use abortions as birth control!" :saddowns:

LanceKing2200 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 30, 2013

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The thing that I don't think a lot of people grasp is that nobody really likes abortion. I would assume that even most pro-choicers believe that if we could get to a point where the need for abortion is greatly decreased through proper sex education, birth control, etc., that would be the ideal. Of course, unplanned pregnancies will always happen regardless of circumstances and prevention, but there are simple things that could be done to keep that number as low as possible.

So I guess in a way I consider myself both "pro-life" and pro-choice, even though it's only pro-life in the sense that if these loving fundies would stop trying to insert their morality into women's vaginas maybe a lot fewer women would be put in the horrible situation where they have to choose whether or not to end their pregnancy. The pro-life movement is more "pro-birth" than pro-life, as pretty much everyone has already said.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I know someone's gonna post that chart or whatever but I do think a lot of pro-lifers do do it out of genuine concern for the infants, at least they genuinely think they are. They just don't think about the bigger picture.

There's people in power who are more interested in controlling women having sex, of course, but there's a lot of followers who are being misled as well.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

The Rokstar posted:

The thing that I don't think a lot of people grasp is that nobody really likes abortion. I would assume that even most pro-choicers believe that if we could get to a point where the need for abortion is greatly decreased through proper sex education, birth control, etc., that would be the ideal. Of course, unplanned pregnancies will always happen regardless of circumstances and prevention, but there are simple things that could be done to keep that number as low as possible.

And thats one of the main reasons why Americans have conflicting views on abortion. Of course abortion is a bad thing for just about everyone that has it-unplanned pregnancy, rape, health reasons, etc. But the pro-life movement has tainted "pro choice" as people who think that abortions themselves are good things. But nobody really believes that. Its the right to have an abortion that is an unabashedly good thing. Pro-choicers haven't done a great job pointing out the huge distinction. That's how you wind up with the common situation where someone is "pro-life" but thinks abortion should be legal in all or most circumstances.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
It's worth mentioning that Mark Driscoll is a troll and/or stupid. He takes stuff he's into as a dudebro and attempts to rationalize it on Biblical grounds (ex: his insistence that Jesus would be a UFC fighter if he were here today because men need to be tuff, but tuff the way Mark Driscoll, UFC fan, is tuff).

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's official, my brother gone off the deep edge...

quote:

Something liberals will never ever learn, or ever understand for that matter.

Lincoln never said this. gently caress, googling "Abraham Lincoln poor quote" this is the first result: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lincoln/prosperity.asp

Posted this link after the picture as well:
http://goo.gl/dzsrD

Shows a bunch of destruction after natural disasters, and then starts out with "WHAT DO YOU DO IF URBAN WARFARE GANGSTERS COME KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR?" and then tries to sell you emergency preparedness kits.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 30, 2013

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

De Nomolos posted:

It's worth mentioning that Mark Driscoll is a troll and/or stupid. He takes stuff he's into as a dudebro and attempts to rationalize it on Biblical grounds (ex: his insistence that Jesus would be a UFC fighter if he were here today because men need to be tuff, but tuff the way Mark Driscoll, UFC fan, is tuff).

Well he's a troll in the sense that he's become popular due to saying outlandish statements, but that doesn't mean he doesn't believe the poo poo he's saying. He's genuine in his belief that women should be totally subservient to their husbands, that women bring domestic violence upon themselves, that its understandable that men would sleep around if they don't act as sex slaves, etc. The only thing that separates him from the teachings of right wing evangelical churches is the language Driscoll uses. In fact, there's a controversy in right-wing evangelical circles regarding Driscoll: not because his message is reprehensible, but because he embarrasses the church by acting like a manchild.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

DarkHorse posted:

I've found this article one of the more cathartic when you start to think there's no reasoning with pro-life ideologues: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2012/10/how-i-lost-faith-in-the-pro-life-movement.html

In other news, one of my [terrible] friends posted that Driscoll-linked list, about marrying a pro-choice person with "9. You're wrong" as one of the "arguments." I didn't want to wade into that particular quagmire, but some other Christian friend jumped in and basically told him off for the unreasonableness of it and its disingenuous arguments, and he slightly conceded the point. :feelsgood:

Back to our regularly scheduled bullcrap, another friend posted something from a black Tea Party member decrying Alan Grayson's comparison of the Tea Party to the KKK wherein he said it was the Democrats who were the KKK; after all, they founded it, and they've kept blacks on the plantation for the last 160 years! When I took exception and mentioned the Southern Strategy, he either criticized my wording or insulted me for thinking I knew what is was like being black (I had said no such thing). I was just giving him a factual correction. :smith:

I just shared that article on my Facebook and the first response is my friend saying that the article needs an editor and is poorly written. Goddammit, man, I know that, I'm not sharing that article for your editorial analysis. Always has to take the piss out of things.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

Shows a bunch of destruction after natural disasters, and then starts out with "WHAT DO YOU DO IF URBAN WARFARE GANGSTERS COME KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR?" and then tries to sell you emergency preparedness kits.

jesus christ that video is annoying. I intended to get through the whole thing, but after 10 minutes I came to the realization that he was just picking up steam, so I had to blow the bolts. I guess I will never learn the one weird trick discovered by a mom that ensures the government won't send me off to a FEMA death camp.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Doctor Butts posted:

URBAN WARFARE GANGSTERS

Holy poo poo I thought this was hyperbole before watching the video.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Snowman Crossing posted:

jesus christ that video is annoying. I intended to get through the whole thing, but after 10 minutes I came to the realization that he was just picking up steam, so I had to blow the bolts. I guess I will never learn the one weird trick discovered by a mom that ensures the government won't send me off to a FEMA death camp.

$38 for a family survival course.

I tried to make it all the way through the end, but holy poo poo it never actually got it's way to a point. It was just nonstop fear and trying to whip white people into a frenzy. When I closed out the page, it finally redirected me to a special offer of $38 for a family survival course.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Doctor Butts posted:

Just post this as a comment

http://youtu.be/bHCQA1EJiC0

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

De Nomolos posted:

This reminds me of something I read about the spread of early Christianity into Germanic areas. They didn't want to hear about some peace-loving calm jewish dude, so you suddenly had super macho Jesus that jumped up and nailed himself to the cross.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Spite posted:

This reminds me of something I read about the spread of early Christianity into Germanic areas. They didn't want to hear about some peace-loving calm jewish dude, so you suddenly had super macho Jesus that jumped up and nailed himself to the cross.

That's the cornerstone of syncretic religion. You must realize that's all of Christianity. The Christian message didn't play in Rome until it went back on the ideals of pacifism and became more militaristic. It didn't play in Germany and other pagan lands until it started drawing in their celebrations as foundational beliefs (Easter, Christmas, etc.). It didn't play in the Meso-America until the Aztec priests said, "Okay, our gods are now saints and we're Catholic." It didn't play in Korea until ancestor worship suddenly became a part of Catholicism.

Catholicism and other religions get played up as monoliths that crush others, but in truth they're blobs that absorb things and are permanently altered by it, and don't ever quite become totally homogenous. That's why having a Pope from Latin America is shaking things up; Catholicism in Latin America is still quite different from Roman Catholicism in a lot of small ways. Which is so much more fascinating. Which makes people like Mark Driscoll a dumbass, but not completely out there in how they twist the Bible to what they want. He's just doing on a personal level what cultures have been doing for two thousand years to Christianity.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

Ratmtattat posted:

$38 for a family survival course.

But as it states, it's a price that's both fair to both.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I always felt sorry for the Pharaoh in the Moses story. I mean, that's his missing little brother who disappeared for loving years, comes back clearly on some kind of drug, and starts screaming that their religion is loving crazy and this One God will gently caress poo poo up. And every time the Pharaoh tries to say okay, cool, bro, take the slaves and leave, God fucks poo poo up.

Gods before bros before hos. Word.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

I always felt sorry for the Pharaoh in the Moses story. I mean, that's his missing little brother who disappeared for loving years, comes back clearly on some kind of drug, and starts screaming that their religion is loving crazy and this One God will gently caress poo poo up. And every time the Pharaoh tries to say okay, cool, bro, take the slaves and leave, God fucks poo poo up.

Gods before bros before hos. Word.

You forgot the part where said God murdered his kid and every other firstborn child in the country. Yeah I'd totally jump in with the guys worshipping the God who murdered my son. :jerkbag:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Well he's a troll in the sense that he's become popular due to saying outlandish statements, but that doesn't mean he doesn't believe the poo poo he's saying. He's genuine in his belief that women should be totally subservient to their husbands, that women bring domestic violence upon themselves, that its understandable that men would sleep around if they don't act as sex slaves, etc. The only thing that separates him from the teachings of right wing evangelical churches is the language Driscoll uses. In fact, there's a controversy in right-wing evangelical circles regarding Driscoll: not because his message is reprehensible, but because he embarrasses the church by acting like a manchild.

I actually attended Mars Hill for awhile (my girlfriend was trying to get back into Christianity and a coworker was a member) and yeah, there's no way Driscoll isn't a true believer, he jut packages it in kind of a bro-ish Dane Cook way, possibly to appeal to the youth or maybe because he really does think wearing an American Eagle polo is cool, I dunno.

Interestingly enough, one of the main reasons we stopped attending was because he kept bringing up abortion. You can't be a straight, white millionaire lecturing women living below the poverty level on their moral imperative to have that retarded baby (that's right, even if he's gonna eat through a tube for the rest of his life, and this is in an example HE used) and not come across as the world's biggest rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Spite posted:

You may be thinking of The Dream of the Rood, and Old English poem about the cross Jesus was killed on. Part of it is from the perspective of the cross itself, which has this to say about the crucifixion:

quote:

"It was long past - I still remember it -
That I was cut down at the copse's end,
Moved from my root. Strong enemies there took me,
Told me to hold aloft their criminals,
Made me a spectacle. Men carried me
Upon their shoulders, set me on a hill,
A host of enemies there fastened me.
And then I saw the Lord of all mankind
Hasten with eager zeal that He might mount
Upon me.

:eng101: