Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Are the bases actually worth getting extras of at this price, or am I better off going somewhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I haven't done the exact math, but the bases are better priced than buying from any given game company, but more expensive than most hack jobs. I think it is probably worth it if you want plastic bases for your dudes or like the lipped look for detailing. If you are a scrooge like me, you can do better buying 100 little wooden cutouts that look worse but are incredibly cheap.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm fine with that because most of them are going to end up covered with rocks and pretty terrain. Good, that's $80 savings.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If anyone wants to offload their bases because they just don't want them and wants to recover a couple bucks back from a core set, I'll buy the 1" ones for $8 a bag.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

moths posted:

Reaper really needs a subdivision that just makes Bones terrain. Nobody is putting out big stuff like the Dragons Don't Share ruins for less than $40, and that's a niche they can completely own.

It's not quite the same type of modeled, epic terrain, but Dwarven Forge has started delivering their own kickstarter of Game Tiles made from some Bones-like ("Dwarvenite") semi-rubbery material that is remarkably affordable. I got my set this weekend, and I am completely thrilled with it.

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/products?page=shop.browse&category_id=14

Quoting myself from the Terrain Thread:

quote:

The material is hard and dense, but also feels slightly rubbery -- enough to hold detail really well, but not so much that it would be be prone to chipping or breakage. I tossed them all into a canvas bag and I feel perfectly comfortable with it (although obviously I'd want to take more care once they're painted). Compared to Reaper's Bones material (my best comparison) I'd say it's similar, but seems somewhat stiffer.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

signalnoise posted:

I am going to need you to pump this guy for information on his methods and then post it in the terrain thread, thanks

And miss out on that sweet, sweet exploitation money once he retires? No way bub :colbert:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

Have cash put down for:
1 x Kraken
1 x Hill Giants
1 x MSP set 1
1 x Mouslings

Still debating:
1 x Khanjira
1 x Dragons Don't Share

These are both great deals, but it is stuff I don't need and can't see much of a use for.

OK Bones-goons sway me, make me spend $60 more on gigantic miniatures I can't see ever using.

No use for the terrain from DDS? Then I'd skip out if I were you. They're awesome deals (Khanjira's going to be $75-95 at retail, and DDS will be in the neighborhood of $100), but if you're never going to use them, then that's money and shelfspace wasted.

Just, like, give it a little thought first. Be sure you're not going to want them later on before you make the decision.

As far as Bones making terrain, the ruins from DDS and the other bits are probably experimental pushes in that direction. That said, I think they're going to be wary of going too far in on terrain, because they don't want to compete directly with Dwarven Forge (whose Kickstarter they supported). It'd be cool if they produced more set pieces like the ruins, though, that were modular with DF terrain.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

JackMann posted:

As far as Bones making terrain, the ruins from DDS and the other bits are probably experimental pushes in that direction. That said, I think they're going to be wary of going too far in on terrain, because they don't want to compete directly with Dwarven Forge (whose Kickstarter they supported). It'd be cool if they produced more set pieces like the ruins, though, that were modular with DF terrain.

Looking at Dwarven Forge's line, it seems as though if they stuck to the DDS-like big setpieces rather than modular square-grid dungeon units, they could avoid stepping on DF's toes.

And this would be even better for someone like me, who is primarily in the market for open-tabletop-type terrain for GW or PP style games. :getin:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Incidentally, they've said they intend to sell the individual pieces of the ruins in the boneyard, so when they hit retail, you don't have to get the dragon.

Still probably cheaper to get it now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hubis posted:

It's not quite the same type of modeled, epic terrain, but Dwarven Forge has started delivering their own kickstarter of Game Tiles made from some Bones-like ("Dwarvenite") semi-rubbery material that is remarkably affordable. I got my set this weekend, and I am completely thrilled with it.

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/products?page=shop.browse&category_id=14

Quoting myself from the Terrain Thread:

I just want to echo that this product is amazing. A friend of mine got like forty pounds of it and it's maybe my favorite RPG product ever made. Seriously amazing.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ashcans posted:

I haven't done the exact math, but the bases are better priced than buying from any given game company, but more expensive than most hack jobs. I think it is probably worth it if you want plastic bases for your dudes or like the lipped look for detailing. If you are a scrooge like me, you can do better buying 100 little wooden cutouts that look worse but are incredibly cheap.

They're on par with Litko for 1.5mm cost, but if you're willing to use 0.8mm you can get it for much less. 10.99 for 100.

http://www.litko.net/products/Circular-Miniature-Bases%3A-25-mm.html#.UnAqEfk0BS1

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I put some shelves next to my basement workbench and moved all my bones over. All it really accomplished was to highlight the fact that I just bought a bunch more stuff that I already don't have space for. :negative:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Pfff, you've got a whole shelf up top there, you just need to reach a little.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Time for everyone to post their bones collections, especially the shelves of shame so we can encourage each other to get moving on the painting & completion of the models. Ultimately I need to paint my stuff up to table top so I can run or participate in some gaming again... If 100 people post their shelves of shame I might, just might, post a few pictures of my closet of shame.... we'll see.

Shelf of shame = unpainted miniatures that need *something* to get done. It could be motivation, it could be inspiration of a color scheme that doesn't make the space marine look like a mariachi, you name it; it's not done and it's way past time for it to be painted.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

neongrey posted:

Pfff, you've got a whole shelf up top there, you just need to reach a little.

That's for rulebooks. I can fit another shelf in below it, though: the shelves for the minis don't need full height.

MisterG posted:

Time for everyone to post their bones collections, especially the shelves of shame so we can encourage each other to get moving on the painting & completion of the models. Ultimately I need to paint my stuff up to table top so I can run or participate in some gaming again... If 100 people post their shelves of shame I might, just might, post a few pictures of my closet of shame.... we'll see.

Shelf of shame = unpainted miniatures that need *something* to get done. It could be motivation, it could be inspiration of a color scheme that doesn't make the space marine look like a mariachi, you name it; it's not done and it's way past time for it to be painted.

If you look closely, down on the lower right, in front of the glazing medium, next to the paints...that's my in-progress section. :sigh:

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I will post my Bones collection once I have -shelf space-

... actually, there IS one Bones figure painted that I got for a friend, a Cthuluh, and I know a friend is painting a Kaladrax. I got it for them on my order and delivered when it all arrived (I... got everything in Bones 1) I should poke them for photos.

For bones 2... currently, it sits at the core set. I want to at LEAST upgrade to Kraken, Mouselings, Hill Giants, and Not-Tarrasque.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

MisterG posted:

I'm not opening that because my Bones will fall out and damage the unfinished (for months) werecats. And if I move them I'll have to move my partially assembled Saga Vikings and then I'll never find all the parts. I think there's also some material for a never-written paper underneath.

No, that's not my shelf of shame. That's only what I need to do to reach the actual shelf.

:negative:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't have a shelf of shame.

I have a shelf of opportunity.

...Unfortunately, I keep making my tumble check past it...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Myself, I'm happily surprised to have finished 40 bones already, even though a dozen of those are rats and other small vermin and the bases need a bit of finish. The pressure is so low to paint them to some high standard that I can just sit down and get them done really quick. It's very refreshing for me, and they end up looking decent anyway.

Since I've given some bones away, that's like a sixth of the Bones, in roughly two months... so in a year, I should be pretty much finished for Bones 2! :)

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 30, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've, worryingly, got a total, I think, of 7 done. Eep.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Whoa there, tiger, pace yourself.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I have finished not a one. But they sure look pretty up there, in a bag in a box on a shelf.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If anyone is feeling really tormented about their backlog of Bones, you are free to mail them to me. I will not actually paint them any faster (probably slower) but I am completely immune to painting guilt and it will lift the burden from your shoulders.

You're welcome.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Does anyone know if the bases coming with the latest kickstarter are available elsewhere, and if so, where? I can't seem to find the same product on reaper's online store.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I assume they will be once the KS has been fulfilled, but hold your horses there cowboy, it only closed a few days ago.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, I have a project and I would like to get my hands on one or two to see if it's going to be viable. I was just hoping it was an already-existant product. :(

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't need Bones guilt, which is why I only bought huge poo poo I actually want to paint. I have over 500 bucks worth of warmahordes poo poo, at a low estimate, that has barely been touched.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The bases are a new product for the Kickstarter. I doubt they'll release them before they finish fulfillment on the Kickstarter because 1) They need to devote their injection machine to making the bases for the Kickstarter, and 2) there are people who will cry bloody murder if Reaper releases any new Kickstarter products before fulfilling the pledges.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

How long do we have to finalize our pledge manager stuff?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Ashcans posted:

How long do we have to finalize our pledge manager stuff?

Until the end of the year. So quite a bit yet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey nerds. I told you not to paint your translucent ones yet. You might remember my light-up standing stones from a while back in the painting megathread. And then transparent bones appeared and I did this:

Well, I've been continuing with the idea and trying to improve it. For instance, batteries suck, and switches are dumb. With that in mind...

Here's a little disk with an LED on it:

and if I move it on to the X...

No batteries, no switches, no bulk. Will fit perfectly inside a round base with the LED poking out the top. The power pad that makes it light up will be similarly thin and will fit nicely under, say, a battle mat.

When I ordered the boards, I accidentally made the vias in the middle too small for the LED leads, and there wasn't enough play to drill it out, so I just soldered the LED on top, which is why it's standing so far off. The final product will have the LED sitting much lower, basically the thickness of a base off the board, so it'll sit flush on the surface of the base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbIWDnGJ9_s

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 10, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Brilliant. That's just awesome.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Are you a wizard?

How does this work?

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

:science: Nice. Are you willing to post schematics somewhere for it?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bucnasti posted:

Are you a wizard?
Yes.

Bucnasti posted:

How does this work?
Induction!

Iris of Ether posted:

:science: Nice. Are you willing to post schematics somewhere for it?

Yeah, I've sort of already posted it in the EE megathread because they've been helping me out with it. Once it's all said and done, though, I'll probably open source the design under some license or another, and I would also like to sell them ready-to-go, for people that just want the working product and don't want to have to go through ordering the PCB, soldering it up (it's only a couple joints but because of the space limitations, they're a little tricky), and assembling their own power supply. Plus, if I get the PCBs in bulk, it'll be a lot cheaper than having them fabbed in low quantities. For that matter, I'll probably offer them for sale at all stages: 1) the design for free, make it from scratch yourself, 2) the parts as a kit, assemble them yourself, 3) the parts assembled, install in whatever you want, and 4) the parts assembled and installed in a base.

In any event, as far as the base goes, it's literally just the circuit board, a small capacitor, and the LED. It's figuring out the right numbers that was the trick (and I didn't really even do that trick, Anime Akbar in the EE thread made a good educated guess which basically made everything else fall into place.) The more complicated guts will be in the frequency generator and power supply, but even that will likely be dirt simple.

Basically, I don't want to keep this thing to myself, the possibilities are too cool. :)

I fixed the LED to be a little closer in spite of the initial design screwup, and then I crammed it into a standard round 1" GW base. It was a bit of a hack job because I had to cut out the struts on the inside, but you get the idea:

So here's how it looks with a ball of fire on top under normal circumstances:

And then I put the transmitter under some Hirst tiles to make a little more real-world demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqbdRVEqX0

:haw:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 10, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I've sort of already posted it in the EE megathread because they've been helping me out with it.

Looks like I'm resubscribing to that thread, then. :allears:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

WHilst on the topic of the fireballs, has anyone had luck painting them?

I'm planning something with a few of the Bones, including the big firedude, but I'm not sure whether to paint him or just leave him as-is. Lighting him up is probably beyond me D:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Could you build the transmitter into a full size battlemap so that the whole battlemap would light up the LEDs where ever they were placed?

EDIT: Saw your answer in the miniatures thread. YOU ARE A WIZARD.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

WHilst on the topic of the fireballs, has anyone had luck painting them?

I'm planning something with a few of the Bones, including the big firedude, but I'm not sure whether to paint him or just leave him as-is. Lighting him up is probably beyond me D:

People have had a fair bit of success with "painting" them with some acrylic medium or sealer and then applying a wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

To be a little more specific, I'm wondering about highlights and OSL-type stuff whilst retaining at least some of the translucency.

• Locked thread