Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Balobam posted:

mods i will accept any arrangement of 3 words from that quote

pls

nazi gay fiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

bullied gay nazi

(me in real life, please do not judge, HH)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is that from dune 2000?

man i loved the hell out of that game.

edit: nope, the movie i guess. i don't remember it looking like that though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
the dunvie as i like to call it

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Trig Discipline posted:

it doesn't advance the main story with the blight very much, but if you just wanna explore tines' world more it's okay. honestly it kinda reminded me of how grrm takes off on these side stories that are okay on their own but as a reader part of your brain is going YEAH BUT THE loving WORLD IS ABOUT TO END LET'S MAYBE TALK ABOUT THAT SOME BUTTHOLE

hell that sounds like exactly what i want because i figure the blight is gone i just want more :swoon: PUPPIES! :swoon:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Gus Hobbleton posted:

hell that sounds like exactly what i want because i figure the blight is gone i just want more :swoon: PUPPIES! :swoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2zQKqgNAeE

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

before we get to the genocide, the child protagonist repeatedly, savagely beats older children for bullying them. several of them die. but the protagonist didn't know they would die. he just carefully planned the use of disproportionate violence to stop them from bullying him ever again.

yep. definitely not murder. just premeditated beatings within an inch of their lives, and they incidentally died after. you had to do it, ender!

why do you believe ender had any choice? are you the sort of person that believes in the fantasy of free will?

the authorities spent decades using either an overt or covert breeding program combined with 24/7 precise brain monitoring of all citizens to find, out of all the billions of people on earth, one child who was

-hyper intelligent
-perfectly moral
-tactically brilliant

who also would, at the drop of a hat, fly into a blackout psychotic rage. the authorities then carefully shielded ender and the other candidate children from the consequences of their actions and turned them into unthinking weapons, making sure to use them before they grew old enough for self examination

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
orson scott card is real bad but if you think ender's game is about anything other than 'dont do genocide and also war is kinda bad' then you're trying way too hard. i'm sure you can justify that interpretation but it is clearly not at all what card intended

the point isn't that ender is justified in his actions, it's that he has every reason to feel justified. his reality has been so warped and the enemy has been so dehumanized that committing genocide seemed perfectly reasonable to him. the point is that soldiers often do really terrible things in war and maybe it's not because they're bad people, but because we've hosed with their reality so much that they might as well be playing a videogame

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

angry_keebler posted:

why do you believe ender had any choice? are you the sort of person that believes in the fantasy of free will?

the authorities spent decades using either an overt or covert breeding program combined with 24/7 precise brain monitoring of all citizens to find, out of all the billions of people on earth, one child who was

-hyper intelligent
-perfectly moral
-tactically brilliant

who also would, at the drop of a hat, fly into a blackout psychotic rage. the authorities then carefully shielded ender and the other candidate children from the consequences of their actions and turned them into unthinking weapons, making sure to use them before they grew old enough for self examination

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

orson scott card is real bad but if you think ender's game is about anything other than 'dont do genocide and also war is kinda bad' then you're trying way too hard. i'm sure you can justify that interpretation but it is clearly not at all what card intended

the point isn't that ender is justified in his actions, it's that he has every reason to feel justified. his reality has been so warped and the enemy has been so dehumanized that committing genocide seemed perfectly reasonable to him. the point is that soldiers often do really terrible things in war and maybe it's not because they're bad people, but because we've hosed with their reality so much that they might as well be playing a videogame

lmbo if anyone thinks the movie is going to show ender as anything but a superhero saving his race from A SUPER BAD ENEMY

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah the movie is going to totally support the hitler argument

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

lmbo if anyone thinks the movie is going to show ender as anything but a superhero saving his race from A SUPER BAD ENEMY

the movie is going to stink like a butt because it's gonna be nothing but space action cgi kaboom pew pew pew sequences with chaste white heterosexual preteen romance overtones so there's no need to manufacture excuses like ender is hitler or card is a shitman to justify not seeing it

i personally hope it does real well and in 6 years every other first grade across this great land is filled to the brim with enders so i can lol more

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

angry_keebler posted:

the movie is going to stink like a butt because it's gonna be nothing but space action cgi kaboom pew pew pew sequences with chaste white heterosexual preteen romance overtones so there's no need to manufacture excuses like ender is hitler or card is a shitman to justify not seeing it

i personally hope it does real well and in 6 years every other first grade across this great land is filled to the brim with enders so i can lol more

i hope it's exactly that, then in the end a dude comes out and chastizes the audience for being fascist idiots

formicae delenda sunt

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 29, 2013

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what if ender's game was actually a book on pickup for boy geniuses

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

what if ender's game was actually a book on pickup for boy geniuses

the best way to "peacock" is to find the biggest man in the bar and beat him to death

don't worry you won't be punished for this because that is the hidden purpose of bars

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

angry_keebler posted:

-hyper intelligent
-perfectly moral
-tactically brilliant

i'm glad you two have found ways to re-imagine ender's game as anything but wretched

but this is young adult fiction. there's no hidden metagame or unreliable narrator here. what you see is what you get, and what you get is a murderous brute who is always "justified" in his killing

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i reas enders game in seventh hrade and it made me feel good because i was bullied as gently caress

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

theflyingexecutive posted:

i reas enders game in seventh hrade and it made me feel good because i was bullied as gently caress

were u inspired to do any ball-punching?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
jfc i will never read enders game now because i don't want to have an opinion on this poo poo

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
hey man if people in this thread are any indication you dont have to read it at all to have an incredibly strong opinion about it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Gus Hobbleton posted:

hey man if people in this thread are any indication you dont have to read it at all to have an incredibly strong opinion about it

much like the constitution or bible

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I read it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

much like the constitution or bible

I had to read these in junior high and high school. Bible is long, constitution unintelligible

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

NoneMoreNegative posted:

were u inspired to do any ball-punching?

it inspired me to ballpunch my bullies to death and then post well enough to rule the world

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Enders game wasnt good scifi because I didnt identify with any character while reading it. it was as emotionally involving as a cookbook

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

TOOT BOOT posted:

Enders game wasnt good scifi because I didnt identify with any character while reading it. it was as emotionally involving as a cookbook

then you didn't read it when you were a 9 year old boy who really wanted to be smart

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
question for anyone who read all the sequels: did ender ever get around to loving his sister, or no?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

FMguru posted:

question for anyone who read all the sequels: did ender ever get around to loving his sister, or no?
yeah

then he peed on her; sexually

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sham bam bamina! posted:

yeah

then he peed on her; sexually
NICE!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

no

he kept meaning to, but he just never did get around to it. he'd make a to do list every weekend and it would say "genocide, talk about dead people, gently caress sister" but then by monday only the first two would be checked off and he'd be like "gently caress, i really meant to get around to that"

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

FMguru posted:

no he shacked up with space catholics as a marketing ploy so card could sell a completely separate book series

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trig Discipline posted:

no

he kept meaning to, but he just never did get around to it. he'd make a to do list every weekend and it would say "genocide, talk about dead people, gently caress sister" but then by monday only the first two would be checked off and he'd be like "gently caress, i really meant to get around to that"
some people just never figure out how to prioritize

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
the extended edition of the hobbit part 1 goes for nine loving hours lmao

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
It was OK, I guess. They skipped all my favorite bits, and he didn't show much actual genius, but I suppose it was a reasonable representation of the book, given the limited time available.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Amethyst posted:

the extended edition of the hobbit part 1 goes for nine loving hours lmao

i guess that warner wanted peter jackson to film it in real time huh

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
it would take less than 9 hours to read the whole book

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i read enders game

it sucked

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Socracheese posted:

i read enders game

it sucked
is it possible that you mistook it for your post history?

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

the extended edition of lord of the rings is 666 minutes long

hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

• Locked thread