Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

Whalley posted:

The best bit about the Hirogen is that you could imagine Rita Repulsa happily existing on their ship and she wouldn't look the least bit out of place.

That, and finally another humanoid species that isn't the exact same size as humans.

The Hirogen are coming! Chakotay, get me five actors without attitude!

Go Go Captain Janewaaay, ooh ooooh ooh oooh ooh!

I haven't watched much Enterprise - are there Nazis there? At least I don't remember any in DS9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rynder posted:

I haven't watched much Enterprise - are there Nazis there?

Yes. :getin:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rynder posted:

I haven't watched much Enterprise - are there Nazis there? At least I don't remember any in DS9.

Yeah, right after the Xindi arc at the end of season 3 and the start of season 4.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Star Trek: There are Nazis everywhere!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Star Trek: It's life, Jim. Nazis? We know it.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

What is the deal with space Nazis? I mean not some species being fascist but literally dudes with swastikas and Hugo Boss uniforms.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

Sprat Sandwich posted:

What is the deal with space Nazis? I mean not some species being fascist but literally dudes with swastikas and Hugo Boss uniforms.

"You have not experienced Mein Kampf until you have read it in the original Klingon."

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, right after the Xindi arc at the end of season 3 and the start of season 4.

The Enterprise Nazi episode is really weird, because there are elements that make you think it's meant to be completely campy and hokey- the fat mobster shooting a nazi alien, the evil aliens and nazis hating each other, the Enterprise flying over New York- but they also play it straight a lot too. It thankfully ends the temporal cold war stuff for the remainder of the series, but it really could have been some TOS level zaniness.

Also, horribly placed in the show's overall storyline.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm at the beginning of season 3 of Voyager and what I love is that they already have no clue what to do with Kes. At some point they realized that Neelix's near-abusive jealousy was creepy and off-putting for audiences, that Paris's relationship with Kim was more important than his relationship with women, that it's more interesting for Tuvok to have psychic problems than for her to have them and that her role with the Doctor is less important than Nurse Chapel.

She just shows up to feel really hard about stuff, even more than Deanna. I've already been spoiled on her departure, but it's going to happen an entire season too late.

However, I was glad to see that Brad Dourif came back for a little bit to play homicidal Betazoid man. He and the Holoclown should have gotten their own show together, their performances all turned up to eleven as the run around the ship smashing things and screaming like children. His character is written as a dull and flat pre-Dexter ~rebelling against his nature~ murderman, but watching Brad Dourif be on the edge of freaking the gently caress out is somehow still enjoyable. In fact, they could have just ported over his character from Deadwood, or Lord of the Rings, or gently caress, I don't know, Myst IV, and it still would have improved upon the horrible finale, with all of its space-spermjacking and cave monsters. In fact, if he had just telported in and started shouting "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DID, ATRUS? YOUR SONS?" and hitting B'elanna over the head with a club, those fives minutes would be better than most of seasons one and two.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Or just a single Chuckie Laugh.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It only ever happened three times:

TOS, where a senile Earther says "hey what if we could try and set up a benevolent Nazi state?" and basically takes over an alien planet.

Voyager, where Hirogen go rooting through the computer and found that WW2 is still a popular setting for FPS shooters so it must have something going for it.

Enterprise, where they went back in time to the 40s and aliens and I never saw it but it looks like they just went full retard on it.

They never just stumbled onto a planet where swastika-toting Germans arose out of nowhere.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I thought that episode of Voyager was pretty good. It was fun, unlike a lot of the series.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Enterprise, where they went back in time to the 40s and aliens and I never saw it but it looks like they just went full retard on it.

It's the end of the Temporal Cold War arc(I think). I'll spoiler it in case people really care about a sub-par to pretty good sci-fi show that was cancelled in its fourth season. A faction fighting in the TCW goes back in time to give Nazi's advanced tech. They take over America, or at least the East Coast. Enterprise shows up, due to something I can't remember, and manages to foil their plans. Not really that stupid. Just an excuse to have evil-looking aliens in Nazi uniforms.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

They never just stumbled onto a planet where swastika-toting Germans arose out of nowhere.

No, instead they stumbled upon a planet where the US Declaration of Independance arose out of nowhere.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No, instead they stumbled upon a planet where the US Declaration of Independance arose out of nowhere.

Yeah that one was pretty terrible.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Patterns of Force isn't bad, it at least has a solid premise. Plus, it's worth it just for Spock telling Kirk he makes a convincing Nazi.

Storm Front is basically a stock pulp plot (aliens go back in time to help the Nazis) that they dump Archer & Co into to wrap up the Temporal Cold War bullshit. The amusing part is that it takes place after the end of this big season-spanning plot, but you could skip from five minutes before the end of the last episode of Season 3 to 4x03 and not miss a drat thing. It's completely unreferenced for the remainder of the series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
guys

spread the gospel of space jesus

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

/\/\/\ OMG

It only ever happened three times:

TOS, where a senile Earther says "hey what if we could try and set up a benevolent Nazi state?" and basically takes over an alien planet.

Voyager, where Hirogen go rooting through the computer and found that WW2 is still a popular setting for FPS shooters so it must have something going for it.

Oh, I haven't seen Voyager nor Enterprise, guess I just thought/made up that there were more than those.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Gau posted:

Patterns of Force isn't bad, it at least has a solid premise. Plus, it's worth it just for Spock telling Kirk he makes a convincing Nazi.

Storm Front is basically a stock pulp plot (aliens go back in time to help the Nazis) that they dump Archer & Co into to wrap up the Temporal Cold War bullshit. The amusing part is that it takes place after the end of this big season-spanning plot, but you could skip from five minutes before the end of the last episode of Season 3 to 4x03 and not miss a drat thing. It's completely unreferenced for the remainder of the series.

Well it was the end of the TCW and they only had one season left so not too shocking it never came up again. Really the bigger issue is you had this big Best of Both Worlds level season climax with the Xindi arc, and 4x03 is a great episode addressing some of the personal repercussions of that/resetting the show a bit, and Storm Front just completely gets in the way of that. If they had squeezed Storm Front in the middle of season 4 (maybe even right after the Soong arc) it would have been better.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I'm at the beginning of season 3 of Voyager and what I love is that they already have no clue what to do with Kes. At some point they realized that Neelix's near-abusive jealousy was creepy and off-putting for audiences, that Paris's relationship with Kim was more important than his relationship with women, that it's more interesting for Tuvok to have psychic problems than for her to have them and that her role with the Doctor is less important than Nurse Chapel.

She just shows up to feel really hard about stuff, even more than Deanna. I've already been spoiled on her departure, but it's going to happen an entire season too late.

However, I was glad to see that Brad Dourif came back for a little bit to play homicidal Betazoid man. He and the Holoclown should have gotten their own show together, their performances all turned up to eleven as the run around the ship smashing things and screaming like children. His character is written as a dull and flat pre-Dexter ~rebelling against his nature~ murderman, but watching Brad Dourif be on the edge of freaking the gently caress out is somehow still enjoyable. In fact, they could have just ported over his character from Deadwood, or Lord of the Rings, or gently caress, I don't know, Myst IV, and it still would have improved upon the horrible finale, with all of its space-spermjacking and cave monsters. In fact, if he had just telported in and started shouting "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DID, ATRUS? YOUR SONS?" and hitting B'elanna over the head with a club, those fives minutes would be better than most of seasons one and two.

Brad Dourif as the ship's doctor, who's only lines are this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAl2fCYgCQ

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

let's not forget the contributions of wIlyam chayqSpir

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sprat Sandwich posted:

What is the deal with space Nazis?

The airline food of 23rd-century observational comics.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

So has the thread talked about that Voyager episode where the Doctor has a holo-family, and the mom is played by Francine from American Dad? And he sucks at fatherhood because he tells holo-son he can't murder people, and the only one likes him is the holo-daughter? And for some reason the crew tells him he can't abandon his holo-family despite the fact that their resources are supposed to be limited? And then Kes or Paris, I forget which, tells him that even when holo-daughter has an aneurysm in her brain and is going to die he HAS TO GO BACK AND WATCH HER DIE DAMNIT. Then she asks him if she's going to die and he tells her she is even though she's like eight and she's got all of five seconds left to live, then she dies and the episode ends.

Have we talked about that?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Please please please tell me there are more episodes like Necessary Evil with Odo as a hard-boiled detective, inner monologues and all. Also, Rom's yelling is hilarious. I love DS9. :allears:

apophenium fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 29, 2013

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
As bad as you're describing it I remember liking that episode when I saw it (years and years ago). I don't want to go back and ruin my memories but I recall it as good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Brad Dourif as the ship's doctor, who's only lines are this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAl2fCYgCQ

Yeah, basically they should have gotten a hologram of one of his characters to hang around with the Doctor, maybe add Michael McKean's computer clown as a holoperson, all living in a Holodeck simulation of Monica's Apartment from Friends. Star Trek: Holo Be There For You.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How many cowboy and gangster planets were there?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Cobalt Chloride posted:

So has the thread talked about that Voyager episode where the Doctor has a holo-family, and the mom is played by Francine from American Dad? And he sucks at fatherhood because he tells holo-son he can't murder people, and the only one likes him is the holo-daughter? And for some reason the crew tells him he can't abandon his holo-family despite the fact that their resources are supposed to be limited? And then Kes or Paris, I forget which, tells him that even when holo-daughter has an aneurysm in her brain and is going to die he HAS TO GO BACK AND WATCH HER DIE DAMNIT. Then she asks him if she's going to die and he tells her she is even though she's like eight and she's got all of five seconds left to live, then she dies and the episode ends.

Have we talked about that?

Wasn't his family all nice and happy then B'elanna came in and ruined it all? Like she directly caused his daughters death.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat

Bicyclops posted:

Star Trek: Holo Be There For You.

I'm mad they never made a holodeck episode set in biblical times.

"Star Trek: Holo Be They Name"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Boxturret posted:

Wasn't his family all nice and happy then B'elanna came in and ruined it all? Like she directly caused his daughters death.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. The Doctor's family was flawless, like the family from Leave it to Beaver, so she made it more interesting and realistic.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shadeoses posted:

How many cowboy and gangster planets were there?

There was only one gangster planet, in A Piece Of The Action.

There was only one cowboy planet in TOS, in Spectre of the Gun, although there were other TOS episodes that clearly were reuses of existing sets from Western productions. (This Side of Paradise comes to mind, with the 'agricultural colony') Enterprise had another cowboy planet.

TNG had a western-themed episode (A Fistful of Datas), but that was on the holodeck.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

There was only one gangster planet, in A Piece Of The Action.

There was only one cowboy planet in TOS, in Spectre of the Gun, although there were other TOS episodes that clearly were reuses of existing sets from Western productions. (This Side of Paradise comes to mind, with the 'agricultural colony') Enterprise had another cowboy planet.

TNG had a western-themed episode (A Fistful of Datas), but that was on the holodeck.

To be fair, North Star is one of the highlights of Enterprise.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

The review. Read the review.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Royale is kind of a gangster planet. Sort of.

Also, all of Picard's Private Dick Adventures.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Gau posted:

To be fair, North Star is one of the highlights of Enterprise.

Fuckin' skags.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yes, that's exactly what happened. The Doctor's family was flawless, like the family from Leave it to Beaver, so she made it more interesting and realistic.

"Interesting" and "realistic." She basically acted like one of those lovely fuckhead kids that opened up your Sim City save file on the school computer network back in the 90's and caused all the disasters in your meticulously crafted city and then saved it as it was. gently caress B'Elanna, what a shithead.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vagabundo posted:

"Interesting" and "realistic." She basically acted like one of those lovely fuckhead kids that opened up your Sim City save file on the school computer network back in the 90's and caused all the disasters in your meticulously crafted city and then saved it as it was. gently caress B'Elanna, what a shithead.

Nothing like that ever happened to me, but just reading it made me angry at those assholes :mad:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Skeesix posted:

There are two reviews. They are both amazing for different reasons.

quote:

I was so inspired by this book that I killed all of my enemies in glorious battle immediately after reading it! Admittedly, a tear was brought to my eye when the baby Kahless was given his first D'ktahg. Further in, I was flooded with memories of Khristmases long ago, when my father stuffed my stocking with toys taken from his slain enemies for being an honorable child while my brother was locked in his room with a stocking stuffed with a tribble and a morsel of bread for running away from a fight earlier that year. Ah, to be a young warrior again. !Qa'Pla!

quote:

This is a product any Christian fan of Star Trek will find offensive. To equate Kahless with Yeshua Hamashiach is the rankest irreverence at best. Such an utterly profane publication is painful for me to see having been a Trekker since 1966 and loving the franchise. I do not wish ill on the writer, editors and publishers, on the contrary, you all just made the prayer list. I do pray GOD will reveal Himself to you in a mighty way. And I have to admit, this is probably the first Trek related book I have ever actively hoped would fail miserably. Sad to see such a thing published.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Skeesix posted:

There are two. They're both hilarious but for different reasons.

edit: gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

She basically acted like one of those lovely fuckhead kids that opened up your Sim City save file on the school computer network back in the 90's and caused all the disasters in your meticulously crafted city and then saved it as it was.

You cut back on funding. You were warned, son.

Reap what you sow.

• Locked thread