Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Is there any way to program a specific route into Google now? I drive to the train, take that to grand central, then take a subway to union square. It knows where I live but insists on telling me that my commute is a drive home from union square. I told it I take public transit, and now it just wants to tell me about buses at every corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Thats an absudly good screen for $69. I'm pretty happy with the Nook HD+. It lags a big but has a screen on par with a $500 ipad.

This $70 tablet has a screen that blows away the $300 ipad mini. It will be a little laggy, and don't expect to play games but for browsing, reading, movie watching the nook hd tablets cannot be beat on screen / dollar ratio. It's amazing for reading.

I put CM 10 on the HD+ and it's pretty decent.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Is the established rate for trading Android devices and drugs based on the version? I assume Gingerbread translates to huffing paint fumes.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

It's adorable that he traded his tablet for a drug that's used to treat opioid drug addiction :3:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
If I bought swiftkey for my phone, do I have to pay again to get it on my tablet?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
No, but the tablet specific version is a separate purchase. The regular version works quite well on my N7-2013.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

DemonMage posted:

No, but the tablet specific version is a separate purchase. The regular version works quite well on my N7-2013.

Hmm, I have the paid version on my phone, but I look it up on the apps list in Google Play,it shows up as the free trial version (both on my HTC One X and N7-2013).

Edit: Found the problem, I was using a weird "editor's version" that I got on sale.

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 23, 2013

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I heard that they were going to be merging the two anyway, after that detachable keyboard feature makes it to the stable version.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Hmm, I have the paid version on my phone, but I look it up on the apps list in Google Play,it shows up as the free trial version (both on my HTC One X and N7-2013).

Edit: Found the problem, I was using a weird "editor's version" that I got on sale.

I would just use the beta for now since its just as stable and tablet and phone version will be merged.
http://www.swiftkey.net/en/blog/new-beta-layouts-for-living/

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I've ordered a Sony xperia Z tablet, and was wondering if anyone in this thread had experience with any cases available for it?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Google Nexus 10 Refurbs are Woot's deal of the day. Could be a sign that a new N10 is on its way and they're trying to clear out inventory.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dang it's still 329.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So I see N10s in the $250-$275 range on Swappa frequently, and am wondering if I would regret buying one with it being close to a year old and all. How well has it held up? I will use it almost entirely for reading PDFs and web pages, with occasional Netflix use. The N7 is out of the question - the screen size and format is too off for reading journal articles.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

IuniusBrutus posted:

So I see N10s in the $250-$275 range on Swappa frequently, and am wondering if I would regret buying one with it being close to a year old and all. How well has it held up? I will use it almost entirely for reading PDFs and web pages, with occasional Netflix use. The N7 is out of the question - the screen size and format is too off for reading journal articles.
When you say the "format is too off" are you talking about aspect ratio? Both the 7 and 10 are 16:10. The current one would work fine for what you want, but the new 10 is supposed to start at $350 so you should at least wait for that to come out and see if it drives prices down.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

When you say the "format is too off" are you talking about aspect ratio? Both the 7 and 10 are 16:10. The current one would work fine for what you want, but the new 10 is supposed to start at $350 so you should at least wait for that to come out and see if it drives prices down.
Interesting, where did the N10 price rumour come from? I haven't seen anything about the new N10 other than the thing about it being made by Asus.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

IuniusBrutus posted:

I've had my Nexus 10 for almost a year and it's still a champ at all those things.

Edit: I use my N10 for reading journal articles a fair amount and the screen is perfect for it.

Casyl fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 24, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tunga posted:

Interesting, where did the N10 price rumour come from? I haven't seen anything about the new N10 other than the thing about it being made by Asus.
This image, but apparently it's pounds, not dollars, so ignore me.

http://www.androidcentral.com/more-evidence-next-nexus-10-may-be-asus-made

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
My kitchen computer is a CM9 touchpad which has been a faithful soldier, but it's showing its age. I could essentially do an in place upgrade to a Nexus 7 (2012) for zero cost.

The only complaint I've heard is that it got laggy over time. Did the TRIM update in 4.3 solve all those problems?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Civil posted:

The only complaint I've heard is that it got laggy over time. Did the TRIM update in 4.3 solve all those problems?
Yes, factory resetting or reinstalling the factory ROM will make it speedy again. You may also not even see the slow-down in the first place.

The screen is kind of bad once you've seen a 2013 and the older model certainly doesn't look as sleek but it's still a decent device.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There is no way Staples will take back a Nexus 7 inside the return period with a cracked screen, right? I guess I can purchase a square trade plan for $70 inside of the 30 day purchase period and then flip the new in box tablet for $200 on swappa for a net loss of $30?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 26, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Hadlock posted:

There is no way Staples will take back a Nexus 7 inside the return period with a cracked screen, right? I guess I can purchase a square trade plan for $70 inside of the 30 day purchase period and then flip the new in box tablet for $200 on swappa for a net loss of $30?

No way...unless you get the 19 yr old cashier who doesn't open it up and "inspect the contents" but then you would have to live with the guilt if they took it back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's no way they won't open the box to look at it first. There's been too many iphones returned with just meat in the box.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Hadlock posted:

If you're a bastard with no shame you can tell them it was cracked when you got it. You'll have to bitch and moan, but most brick and mortar stores are loosening up return policies to stay competitive, and it is at least plausible that it could have been cracked while in the box. Keep arguing and you'll probably at least get a new one.

Make no mistake, though, you're an rear end in a top hat if you do this.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Pretty expensive, looks like I might stick with my plan of getting a first gen after that comes out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you bought it with a credit card, you may have insurance on it for the first 90 days.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zeike posted:

Pretty expensive, looks like I might stick with my plan of getting a first gen after that comes out.
Keep in mind that you can't just convert this to dollars to get the likely US price. For comparison, the original N10 was £320 / £390 for 16GB / 32GB so this is somewhat inline.

As a general rule, Google charge 80% of the numerical USD price in GBP, though the N7 was slightly more than that (on the UK side).

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 27, 2013

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Have been humming and hawing on a Nexus 7 for the past couple of months now, and I would like a little piece of advice:

the main thing I will be using for is work, as each day I end up printing off about 10 - 20 pages worth of excel spreadsheets, word documents and powerpoints for meetings, and I would love to be able to have them all available in one place.

The main issue I would have though, is that I always take notes directly on the printouts, circling important items, highlighting, etc.

My question is: using a stylus, will I have an easy time making notes on these documents? Will it be a matter of exporting to PDF, or will I be able to amend the documents directly and easily on the tablet? Would it be a matter of typing, or could I write with the stylus and save my annotations over the document for later typing on the master copy?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As much as I like the Nexus 7, it seems like you would be much better off with something like the Dell Venue 8 Pro using onenote.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 27, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah the nexus 7 doesn't have native stylus support so there's no advantage to using your finger. I think this may be a case when something with a stylus or a Windows tablet is a better idea.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
How important is it that you have good Excel and Powerpoint functionality? IIRC only Surface and Surface Pro can do this well, any other app on any other platform is going to give you an inconsistent experience. And if the stylus is a big deal to you, then Surface Pro is your only real solution.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Yeah, you definitely want a Win8 or WinRT tablet. Office on Android tablets is terrible. That said the new slew of Win8 tablets is actually pretty drat cool, so they're worth checking out if it's pretty important to you--as mentioned, the Venue 8 Pro supports pen input, too.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Anybody have any issues with their 2013 N7 just shutting off and then not turning back on? It doesn't happen frequently, only like 3 times in the past 3 months. It's not an issue with the battery because it will boot fine when holding Power + Vol Down.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

waffle posted:

Yeah, you definitely want a Win8 or WinRT tablet. Office on Android tablets is terrible. That said the new slew of Win8 tablets is actually pretty drat cool, so they're worth checking out if it's pretty important to you--as mentioned, the Venue 8 Pro supports pen input, too.

I hadn't realized that Bay Trail devices were out yet, these are definitely a better buy than any of the Surfaces.

helpy
Jan 1, 2008

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Anybody have any issues with their 2013 N7 just shutting off and then not turning back on? It doesn't happen frequently, only like 3 times in the past 3 months. It's not an issue with the battery because it will boot fine when holding Power + Vol Down.

I have had a few random power down issues where I have to power back on by holding the power button down for a lot longer than normal. How is your WiFi connection? I think my issue stems from a shoddy WiFi where the OS can't get to a full deep sleep because it is fighting with the WiFi and it causes some serious battery drain. I say this because when I am on my home WiFi and my N7 is sitting on the dresser it drains in less than a day but if I am out and about it will sit in standby mode for much longer without any noticeable battery drain.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What's the thread's recommendation for Nexus 7 (2013) screen protectors? I really like the feel of the naked screen but I have a feeling I'll need one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What's the thread's recommendation for Nexus 7 (2013) screen protectors? I really like the feel of the naked screen but I have a feeling I'll need one.

Unless you are putting it in your pocket a protector isn't needed for the most part.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It has gorilla glass, it's not likely to scratch. A screen protector doesn't protect against cracks so there's no point really. Screen protectors always make devices look like poo poo and never go on properly.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Cool, that saves me a bit of trouble then.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Got two hairline scratches on mine and I baby the drat thing, no idea where they came from.

Still not buying a protector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I never understood the point of screen protectors anyway. Do you replace them after every scratch - if not then why not? You are only protecting the resale value of the device. And that just shows you're cheap.