Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm also curious about Powers. It's a series I wanted to read for a while but just haven't gotten around to yet.

Is anyone else reading Satellite Sam? I'm torn, I like the author, and I really want to like it based on the premise, but so far at least it's just not clicking for me. I'll give it a few more issues (whenever the first storyline ends, I guess, assuming it's done in a clear storyline format - and I don't think it's just a mini, is it?) but just going by first issue, Sex Criminals is a much more enjoyable book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
Pretty Deadly comes out tomorrow and I think it looks Pretty Sick.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

GrandpaPants posted:

Did Powers end up being a good read? I only read the first TPB and I enjoyed it, but I don't know if it maintains quality or just drops. I don't even know if it's finished, but according to Wikipedia it doesn't seem like it?

I think the first Powers TPB is the worst. It's still going, but it has been through a bunch of really sharp changes, I'm still a fan. The Gotham Central idea of cops taking on superheroes is a consistent thread through the book, but Bendis isn't afraid to change the characters and more layers get added on.

StumblyWumbly fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 23, 2013

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I really liked Powers back when I read it but I fell off somewhere after the origin story because the time between TPBs got huge and now I don't know where it's at (the FBI?). I'd recommend it, at least.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
I have to admit that I didn't get all of the fuss about Sex Criminals #1, but I stayed with it because of Fraction and holy hell was #2 funny. I guess it resonates with me more with the focus on the male side of the experience in this issue, and there are literally dozens of gags in the background artwork.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

PenguinBob posted:

Pretty Deadly comes out tomorrow and I think it looks Pretty Sick.

It's really really good. I was psyched for it since it was announced but the book and in particular Rios' art still managed to blow me away. The character designs are also top notch stuff.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Pretty Deadly and Velvet are both amazing.

Sex Criminals ramped it up to continued awesome.

I'm still having problems getting into Satellite Sam.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I don't know if you want to count IDW as Indie but Samurai Jack was pretty killer.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

I love the art and concept on Pretty Deadly. The first four preview pages are boring. I assume stuff actually happens in the issue?

edit: okay, I can handle some dreamy world-building, fair enough.

onefish fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 23, 2013

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
gently caress Sex Criminals, I can't get the word "Cumworld" out of my head.

It's a fantastic book and I'm loving every second of it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

onefish posted:

I love the art and concept on Pretty Deadly. The first four preview pages are boring. I assume stuff actually happens in the issue?

First issue is very dreamy world building. At the very least it is worth 2.99 and a few minutes to read.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Starsnostars posted:

I didn't notice until after I read it but the title on the cover is "Come, World"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, Pretty Deadly is great. Love the western folklore vibe and the art and character design is outstanding.

Is it supposed to be a monthly series?

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I have no idea what "Black Science" is about but based on the picture on the back of Velvet I am going to buy the poo poo out of it next month.

Image, man. On. Fire.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

I have no idea what "Black Science" is about but based on the picture on the back of Velvet I am going to buy the poo poo out of it next month.

Image, man. On. Fire.

Okay, and so but Black Science's preview pages are amazing and I think/hope it is going to be the surprise Best Thing Ever Done By Remender.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Architects basically robbing from Marvel now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Velvet was soooooooooooo good. It scratched an itch for spy fiction that I didn't even knew I had.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Starsnostars posted:

I can't believe how much I laughed at "Buttholes Quarterly". I'm such a child and I don't even care.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I loved Pretty Deadly. I was worried it was going to just be more nerdy genre-fication of the West that bases its entire understanding of Westerns on Sergio Leone, but then there was a My Darling Clementine reference on the third page! The writing is superb and the art is on the same level. I'm in unconditionally for a good chunk of this story.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I may have to learn French now because there is a new Blacksad coming out in November and I am so excited but it's usually years between the French release and the English translation :smith: :france:

Also I just realised Blacksad is a perfect christmas gift for my boyfriend, who speaks French fluently WAIT I CAN BUY THE NEW ONE AND GET HIM TO TRANSLATE IT FOR ME!

HereCometheKillBots
Jul 21, 2010
Ooooohh, The Massive 16 is building me up for a tense and exciting arc.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone read The Illegitimates, by Saturday Night Live actor Taran Killam? He's a cool and funny dude, so I was just wondering if it was any good.

This is him, for anyone who doesn't know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8i1OhOimc

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

omg chael crash posted:

I can't believe how much I laughed at "Buttholes Quarterly". I'm such a child and I don't even care.

So many hilarious background jokes. Girl on girl on girl on girl on coke might be my favorite. Or Too Much Sex? with a very confused nude on the cover.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ShutteredIn posted:

So many hilarious background jokes. Girl on girl on girl on girl on coke might be my favorite. Or Too Much Sex? with a very confused nude on the cover.

MISTRESS GALPRACTICE
She will punish you, break your bones, and set them poorly!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Bro, Can You Bro My Bro-Hole?

Boob Pubes

Gay Men loving Lesbians: Everyone's Having A Horrible Time

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 28, 2013

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm also curious about Powers. It's a series I wanted to read for a while but just haven't gotten around to yet.

There's a couple of volumes of it now, and the material wanes and waxes throughout. The tone gets a bit tiring (superheroes are assholes too!) and Bendis goes up his own butt sometimes without committing to the ideas he throws out there, but there are some good storylines in there. But be warned, there's a definite feel of retreading old ground towards the latter parts of the book, and a general aimlessness to what exactly the book is supposed to be about.

But OTOH, the dialogue is always fun, and there's some characters that decidedly pop from their first appearance. I'd suggest you pick up the first issue and see how you feel. I'm decidedly ambiguous on it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Shageletic posted:

There's a couple of volumes of it now,
If by a couple you mean 14 then yeah.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

No, I meant volumes.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

So there are a large number of awesome new Image books coming out... but nobody seems to have mentioned Rat Queens in this thread, that I noticed. I hadn't checked the book out until a couple days ago--the official free preview pages were from a backup story that seemed like 4 pages for a mediocre joke and the comic title "Rat Queens" wasn't immediately clear/appealing (turns out, that's the name of their "adventurer team")--but when I did finally read the actual comic, I had a blast. And a further blast with issue #2 as well--enough to want to recommend it.

It's humorous sword and sorcery with great art and solid character interactions, and the creators say there are short and long story arcs planned. I always hoped to get into Skullkickers but never quite did--but I think Rat Queens will keep me reading. For one, the comic is generally actually funny so far. And for another, I think the genre/tone mashups (some near-anachronisms and modern themes) provide a bit more variety and material to work with than Skullkickers' straight fantasy-with-jokes. (Of course, I only read a few issues of Skullkickers, and it's probably a pretty good comic itself. If you like Skullkickers, you might like Rat Queens, too. Rat Queens just actually hooked me already, and Skullkickers hasn't.)

Here are two pages from issue 1: http://imgur.com/a/vuQQ0

Perhaps of note: Fiona Staples did a variant cover for issue 1.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I just binge read 'Morning Glories' and I have no idea what is happening. It is definitely good but boy does it give me a strong 'Lost' vibe.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I can't tell what is going on in Pretty Deadly at all. It looks nice but, like, nothing makes any sense to my brain. There's cowboys and vulture girl and stuff happens but nope it's just not clicking.

Did anyone else get the new Shaolin Cowboy series? I'm way behind on my comics so I'm not sure how long ago it came out. It's...kind of underwhelming so far. I mean, a cowboy monk chops hundreds of zombies into bits with a giant staff that has chainsaws on the ends but I guess I was just expecting more?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Did anyone else get the new Shaolin Cowboy series? I'm way behind on my comics so I'm not sure how long ago it came out. It's...kind of underwhelming so far. I mean, a cowboy monk chops hundreds of zombies into bits with a giant staff that has chainsaws on the ends but I guess I was just expecting more?

It's the tone of it that's off, I think. Nothing about the art or dialogue or pacing conveys "fun" or "crazy action", it's just the basic facts of the script that seem like they're from a Suda51 game. The execution just isn't there.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Lurdiak posted:

It's the tone of it that's off, I think. Nothing about the art or dialogue or pacing conveys "fun" or "crazy action", it's just the basic facts of the script that seem like they're from a Suda51 game. The execution just isn't there.
I never thought I'd say this but he really needs Frank Miller.

Just let that roll around in your brain for a minute.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I can't tell what is going on in Pretty Deadly at all. It looks nice but, like, nothing makes any sense to my brain. There's cowboys and vulture girl and stuff happens but nope it's just not clicking.

Yeah, Pretty Deadly is definitely going for a very slow start, but it is probably Rios's strongest work yet, and I have strong hopes that De Connick will bring her A game.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rusty Kettle posted:

I just binge read 'Morning Glories' and I have no idea what is happening. It is definitely good but boy does it give me a strong 'Lost' vibe.

Morning Glories has this weird thing about it. It's great when you binge it but the second you start doing monthly or in smaller binges, it makes less sense and becomes bad.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

RevKrule posted:

Morning Glories has this weird thing about it. It's great when you binge it but the second you start doing monthly or in smaller binges, it makes less sense and becomes bad.

I can see that. They are three years into the series but maybe two weeks into their first year of school? It is an eventful couple of weeks with all sorts of flashbacks and time travel but I can seem it's being hard to follow month to month.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Rusty Kettle posted:

I can see that. They are three years into the series but maybe two weeks into their first year of school? It is an eventful couple of weeks with all sorts of flashbacks and time travel but I can seem it's being hard to follow month to month.

Imagine if Lost episodes had been on once a month instead of once a week. It would have been impossible to follow. That's what reading Morning Glories is like. It's great but it's so decompressed that it really is worth trade waiting for.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I never thought I'd say this but he really needs Frank Miller.

Just let that roll around in your brain for a minute.

Didn't the Wachowski siblings write a previous volume? I remember goggling at the banana-ness of it all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I didn't love it, but I'm interested in seeing where it goes. I have the feeling that given some time to breathe, it'll make way more sense. It's pretty clear that lots was happening for reasons that are yet to be explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Finally got my grubby mitts on Pretty Deadly, and I really enjoyed it. It's really all setup but it's executed really well, and you get this sense that poo poo is going to go down without really knowing what or why. It looks utterly stunning, too.