Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Jesus, what is Rotom-W weak to? I can't play Y yet so I've been scratching my itch on Showdown, and he was as much of an obstacle as all the psuedo-legendaries.

Am I missing something? I'm seeing a ton of talk about Rotom-W but isn't Rotom-H better defensively and have the exact same stats?

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/479.shtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Oh man I feel really bad now. I wonder traded some kid a Golett, then he challenged me to a battle and my Heliolisk swept him with Rain Dance and Thunder.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Internet Kraken posted:

Telepathy doesn't make it so the target ally avoids the attack, but rather allows the user of telepathy to not be hit by their attacks. A Noivern with telepathy will still blow up his allies with boomburst, but if they use a move like surf it wont hit him.

Infiltrator is probably better though, unless you happen to be designing a doubles team with a lot of powerful multitarget moves.

Frisk might also see some utility the gen, especially on a fast 'scouter' like Noivern with u-turn, as it lets you check for mega-stones which is pretty useful information for some pokemon.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

why oh WHY posted:

Could someone recommend a set for MegaMawile.

The one I've been running on Showdown is Play Rough / Sucker Punch / Swords Dance / Brick Break, Adamant nature and 252 HP 252 Attack. I had Iron Head on it over Swords Dance for a while but it doesn't really hit anything the other moves can't. Brick Break is pretty much only on there so steels don't laugh at you.

e: looking at it now Poison types should be a problem even though I don't think I've actually had to deal with one. Like Lay-ZX said, Swords Dance is probably the least necessary if you want to cover all your bases.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 30, 2013

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Pyrocat posted:

Am I missing something? I'm seeing a ton of talk about Rotom-W but isn't Rotom-H better defensively and have the exact same stats?
Heat Rotom has weaknesses to Rock and Water, where Wash Rotom only has a weakness to Grass.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

why oh WHY posted:

Iron Head, Play Rough, Sucker Punch, and Swords Dance. I'm not sure Swords Dance is even necessary though, because really the only thing I can think of that none of the three attacks can OHKO is another Mega Mawile.

e: Maybe Brick Break instead of Swords Dance? iunno

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
My housemate has an all-butterfly friend safari :3: Butterfree, Beautifly, and Vivillon.

OK, don't all form a queue at once

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pyrocat posted:

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/479.shtml

You're missing Rock and Water types which are much bigger and common attacking types compared to the grass type weakness Rotom-W has.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

I am Reverend posted:

The one I've been running on Showdown is Play Rough / Sucker Punch / Swords Dance / Brick Break, Adamant nature and 252 HP 252 Attack. I had Iron Head on it over Swords Dance for a while but it doesn't really hit anything the other moves can't. Brick Break is pretty much only on there so steels don't laugh at you.

LAY-ZX posted:

Iron Head, Play Rough, Sucker Punch, and Swords Dance. I'm not sure Swords Dance is even necessary though, because really the only thing I can think of that none of the three attacks can OHKO is another Mega Mawile.

Thanks to the both of you for the quick responses.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm so close to filling out the Kalos Pokedex I can almost taste the Oval Charm. (Hopefully, you don't need the other box legendary and the auxiliary two roaming birds.)

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Bogart posted:

I'm so close to filling out the Kalos Pokedex I can almost taste the Oval Charm. (Hopefully, you don't need the other box legendary and the auxiliary two roaming birds.)

You need to have at least seen them.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
What's a good 4th move for Azumarill? I have Belly Drum, Aqua Jet, and Play Rough. Hidden Power is steel, which is bleh. It's Superpower right now, but I don't know if the attack and defense drop are worth it. Brick Break maybe?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

God, I'm on an absolute ROLL with Pokemon breeding lately. I managed to get a Froakie with 31 in all IVs but Attack, Timid and Protean the other day, and just now I cooked up a Jolly Unburden Hawlucha with 31s in HP, Attack and Speed. I love Pokemon science :science:

Edit:

LanceKing2200 posted:

What's a good 4th move for Azumarill? I have Belly Drum, Aqua Jet, and Play Rough. Hidden Power is steel, which is bleh. It's Superpower right now, but I don't know if the attack and defense drop are worth it. Brick Break maybe?

I always went with Superpower just as a handy "panic" move. Water/Fairy is pretty good coverage as it is anyway, Superpower is good as an "oh poo poo, I gotta kill this thing FAST" kind of move just for the initial burst of power, and the few things that won't go down in one hit to a Superpower blow from Azumarill will still probably be finished off by Aqua Jet the next turn. That's my take on it, though--there's some workable stuff for Azumarill.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 30, 2013

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

LanceKing2200 posted:

As far as I've read you don't actually need Superpower and losing the BD boosts for using it is pretty meh. I think a good amount of people just running Waterfall in the 4th slot, but I'm sure people have mathed out whatever.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Brett824 posted:

I think a good amount of people just running Waterfall in the 4th slot, but I'm sure people have mathed out whatever.

Waterfall is just included as a more powerful STAB for things Aqua Jet can't OHKO, but after a Belly Drum anything Aqua Jet can't OHKO is something Azumarill shouldn't be fighting.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're missing Rock and Water types which are much bigger and common attacking types compared to the grass type weakness Rotom-W has.

The other thing about rotom-W is it's fairly often paired up with Scizor, so each can resist/2x the other's weakness.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
If I'm trying to grind some BP to buy EV boost items, am I better off doing the Battle Maison repeatedly, or the Battle Institute? Battle Institute seems a lot harder, but I've heard the rewards are better? I get knocked out of the Battle Maison between 10-13 pretty consistently because I suck.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Bogart posted:

I just got the Oval Charm earlier. You need to have seen Xerneas/Yveltal & Zygarde & Mewtwo. You don't need to see the other two roaming birds though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How do you see your non-box legend, then? I haven't' been able to find any ~*loremasters*~, unless they're another one of the assholes in a cafe or a hotel.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I'm sitting here trying to breed up a perfect Lilligant and I can confirm that they get Giga Drain as an egg move now, which is a really nice surprise.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Plasbad posted:

I'm sitting here trying to breed up a perfect Lilligant and I can confirm that they get Giga Drain as an egg move now, which is a really nice surprise.

Couldn't things always get level up moves as egg moves?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Bogart posted:

How do you see your non-box legend, then? I haven't' been able to find any ~*loremasters*~, unless they're another one of the assholes in a cafe or a hotel.

If you don't really care about your legendary just put it into the GTS for the other one. It literally took less than a minute for me to get a Yveltal after I put my Xerneas up. You'll need to enter its name into What Pokemon to be able to trade it that way however.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Bogart posted:

If you need to see Xerenas I'll trade you mine for a quick a second.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

LAY-ZX posted:

Oh hey, I'm slow and forgot that it already had that move. Nevermind then, I should probably scroll up from the egg moves list sometimes.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

why oh WHY posted:

MegaMawile destroys most things that it touches so I've been running Play Rough/Iron Head/Sucker Punch, and then Fire Fang basically exclusively so that I don't get slowed down by goddamn Ferrothorns.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

long as both parents have them and they can learn it in their first stage evo, yep. Back in Pearl I bred up Spore/False Swipe Brelooms that way and traded em for what I used to start my breeding empire.

Just wonder-traded a Pumpkaboo and got 'Mawile #66' that is adamant. Gotta admit a heck of an upgrade from a Caterpie.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I played like 7 unranked matches tonight on a whim and won all of them. Feeling confident, I strolled into ranked and got my rear end beat down so hard I'm still reeling from it. This game is actulaly hard online when people use teams that consist of stuff other than Lucario and Blaziken :saddowns:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Mystic Mongol posted:

Nope!

Destiny knot makes you inherit five IVs. Power items guarantee that one of the five (or three w/o a knot) will be the indicated stat. So in your case, the child would have perfect attack, four of the other stats randomly from one parent or the other, and one stat generated randomly.

I think that this is even more asinine than last gen ("it's basically loving random forever!")

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
What are the opinions on good natures for Eeveelutions?

I'm planning on just making all nine of them (yes, Eevee included shut up) and run a rotation team with all of them thanks to the miracle of Exp. All. Since I'm going through all the trouble anyway, I thought I would figure out what natures would work best with base stats, typing, move pool, etc., so that once the :spergin: has run its course I can just breeze through the game with my dream team. :swoon:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The restaurants are such bullshit. How can you put me against a team of three things who all know Protect and expect me to win this fight in exactly three turns? Either I one-shot all of them on turn two and I miss par, or I finish them off on turn four and I miss par.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Shut the hell up about goddamn dittos, god drat.

This is otherwise fantastic besides the fact mothers can also pass down eggs moves (which you were informed of), but it does not include the information that wild unbreedable pokemon (baby pokemon) will have Three 31IVs, which is immensely faster than breeding pairs of 2Vs to start with.

Also,

Mystic Mongol posted:

http://www.serebii.net/xy/friendsafari.shtml

Haunters in ghost safaris, kirlia in fairy safaris.

This is false. :(

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Wow, I just sent out a Modest Fennekin over Wonder Trade and what do I get? Someone's Adamant Gabite, which is holding a Lucky Egg :wth: I have to wonder if they meant to do that...

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

LAY-ZX posted:

The restaurants are such bullshit. How can you put me against a team of three things who all know Protect and expect me to win this fight in exactly three turns? Either I one-shot all of them on turn two and I miss par, or I finish them off on turn four and I miss par.

The 2-star restaurant is doable fairly easily because you can just go in there with Feint on something massively over-levelled. The double and triple battle meals in the 3-star restaurants are similarly easy if something has Feint, but I haven't managed to perfect the rotation battle meal yet.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

LanceKing2200 posted:

Waterfall is probably the best choice. The only things that aren't OHKOed by one of Aqua Jet/Play Rough/Waterfall at +6 are Quaqsire and Ferrothorn and the latter lacks reliable recovery and can be worn down over the course of the game fairly easily. I think the best Belly Drum set is probably something like this:

Azumarill @Sitrus Berry/Mystic Water
Huge Power
132 HP/252 Attack/124 Speed
Adamant Nature
-Belly Drum
-Aqua Jet
-Play Rough
-Waterfall

EVs are to max attack, provide an even number of HP to activate Sitrus Berry and to outspeed min-speed Scizor. Band Scizor deals almost 50% minimum to 252 HP Azumarill with Bullet Punch so I think it's worth the speed investment to beat it with Aqua Jet. Sitrus Berry is the preferred item because Azumarill has pretty decent bulk and having 75% HP after Belly Drum allows it to more comfortably take attacks from faster Pokemon that Aqua Jet doesn't OHKO like Skarmory's Brave Bird or in some cases to Belly Drum in front of attacks that deal between 50 and 75%. Mystic Water is also an option for muscling through water resists a bit better; notably it allows you to OHKO Starmie 68.75% of the time after Stealth Rock which Sitrus Berry needs Rocks and two layers of Spikes to duplicate. These moves cover pretty much everything: Play Rough hits most water resists hard and Waterfall nails most bulky Steels that can take an Aqua Jet. Brick Break or Superpower are options over Waterfall to beat Ferrothorn but deal a lot less to fighting neutral steels like Skarmory, who can Whirlwind you out if you don't OHKO.

GambogeRanger
May 11, 2013

LAY-ZX posted:

Banded Feint Zangoose? Or Perish Song with a Soundproof teammate, if it's a triple battle I guess. I'm sure you have one of those on hand, right? :v:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

I'm putting one together with Sheer Force, so it can be useful as a non-mega too. That means Play Rough, Crunch, Fire Fang and Thunder Fang. Huge coverage, but a paint o make as you have to breed the moves onto if from a Snubbull who only learns them from the Move Relearner.

Dunno how viable it'll actually be, but I'm not going to tournaments with it either or anything.

What I really need is fourth move for an Iron Fist Golurk. Mega Punch and Shadow Punch are obvious, as is Earthquake even if it's not boosted. But the only other punch available in XY is Power-Up Punch and I'm not sure that's worth it over say, Hammer Arm.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Wonder Trade is dangerous as gently caress. I have an extra destiny knot and soothe bell now.

Check your mons before you trash em!

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

For the three-star resteraunt I suggest using an extremely powerful lead pokemon that can one-shot pokemon and a high-level Gourgeist with a power-boosting item that knows Phantom Force. Phantom force is a two-turn move that breaks through Protect and is really useful. You'll have to be worried about the third round though with that loving Sturdy Shieldon and Counter Wobbuffet though and hope you can one-shot those :argh:

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Lord of Pie posted:

Wonder Trade is dangerous as gently caress. I have an extra destiny knot and soothe bell now.

Check your mons before you trash em!

Speaking of, I hope people are noticing that all the Fletchlings I'm wonder trading have Gale Wings :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

WrightOfWay posted:

...it allows you to OHKO Starmie 68.75% of the time after Stealth Rock which...

Why and how the gently caress do you even figure this out

• Locked thread