Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I am done with the Prologue: got all four rewards from Ragnarok. Cap, Thor, Storm Classic, even beat him without dying or boosts a couple of times.

This frees me up to be a complete and utter douche in the Dark Avengers event. Got a Level 1 Venom and Level 1 Yelena and 5 points? ATTTTTTAAAAAAAACK FOR THE PRECIOUS ISO-8

(I look at it this way, I am doing nothing now but making myself a juicy target for retaliation.)

A couple of new missions popped up in Unstable ISO today. I hope that keeps going, I need about 30 more points for Cap Red (my next to last before maxing him out) and while I know that that sweet Spider-Man Blue is out of reach, the Hero Points reward should be reasonably easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For once I'm not aiming for the top spot in the DA tournament. I'm after the reward in the 50-100 range to build up another Venom without 5 in snare.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MLIOOBE posted:

Daken is barely OK. His strike tiles don't end up doing too much as direct damage and board manipulation are so much better than just "adds damage to a match".

I think you just need to level Daken up a bit. Mine is level 38 with the strike tile ability maxed, and it's strange if I don't have 80+ bonus damage on the board at any point. It's common for me to have 150-200 bonus damage on every single attack, which is basically like having a low level direct damage ability fire every turn.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

A couple of new missions popped up in Unstable ISO today. I hope that keeps going, I need about 30 more points for Cap Red (my next to last before maxing him out) and while I know that that sweet Spider-Man Blue is out of reach, the Hero Points reward should be reasonably easy.

I Actually like the writing for these missions. Stupidly campy stuff like "dark avenger ho!". Also I got 2 captains America blues and a purple Spider-Man.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It won't end up going there, but I would like the mission text to explore something like:

<Iron Man> Wow, that Ragnarok was a tough fight.
<Thor> Tony Stark... exactly _why_ did you build a replica of my mighty Mjolnir?
<Iron Man> Um...

Because THAT leads to Ragnarok having been created not by Osborn, but by Stark, Reed Richards and Hank Pym. And THAT leads to a magnificent loving beatdown.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

Oh and also if you haven't done the Dark Avengers mission in Russia for the red ISO event, do it now. All you need is a stunner of any kind and Ironman, you can keep stacking reds and greens and Juggernaut will solo all three of them while you stun occasionally and occasionally swap in ironman to take a hit or two

Good idea, that worked, thanks.

I beat some pvp newbie teams and hit 200, giving me the last blue modern black widow to max her siren skill. Also gave me enough iso8 to roll a cover... and got q blue modern black widow.

How often should I be spending 500 iso8 on the lottery cover?

Also, how good are grey magneto and gray black widow? Grey widow seems like she'd do a lot of damage if she was skilled up.

That's a mechanic that's gotta change; the more rare a character is, the more powerful it generally is. But rarer covers will never get skilled up, meaning they stay low level.

They need to implement a system where you can upgrade a skill with iso8, but have it be expensive for 1 or 2 * covers, and cheaper for 3 * and above covers.

Puzzle and dragons does something similar; only complete whales will have a max skill god that is Premium Currency only. But they don't tie your monsters level to how many skill ups they have.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I just got Gray Magneto and he looks incredibly useful... once leveled. Shame that'll probably never happen.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Deep Winter posted:

How often should I be spending 500 iso8 on the lottery cover?

Less often once you have some decent guys on your team. A good rule of thumb is that you'll be getting Standard Tokens from quest rewards and from Facebook buddies; those are effectively the same as the 500 ISO draws. I'd say about 75% 1* guys from that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got a whole buttload of ISO for the past few days of pvp, so I've been throwing it at the 500 iso lottery. So many goddamn Hawkeyes and Black Widows. I did get a 80s Black Widow though, in her unflattering outfit.

I've got a Gray Magneto and he's really great. His blue power smites a 13 tile blast pattern at the moment, doing damage per tile and is so cheap to activate. His purple power creates 3 blue tiles anywhere you want, which is amazing for combos with other blue heavy heroes like Classic Storm or Black Widow. Apparently at level 5 his blue power destroys the entire board. :stare:

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

seravid posted:

I just got Gray Magneto and he looks incredibly useful... once leveled. Shame that'll probably never happen.

Buy cover space with coins and hold onto your 2 star guys and higher. I ended up with Grey Magneto 3 times by random luck, and he's great for PVE.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
This red iso event is basically just a test to see who is willing to spend the most hours grinding that one replayable mission. Hint: it's not me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just do the new daily red iso missions, screw the rest of it.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

So can characters not have all three of their powers up to level 5? Or is that just for common characters? I just tried leveling the last Iron Man ability I don't have maxed out and it said I was at the power cap. Would've been nice for them to tell me about that beforehand.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Kharmakazy posted:

This red iso event is basically just a test to see who is willing to spend the most hours grinding that one replayable mission. Hint: it's not me.

There's a replayable one? I never noticed if there is..

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

New Leaf posted:

There's a replayable one? I never noticed if there is..

They're generally ridiculous and give 2-4 iso. One right now has Yelena with two maggia minions with like 6k health.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Erebus posted:

So can characters not have all three of their powers up to level 5? Or is that just for common characters? I just tried leveling the last Iron Man ability I don't have maxed out and it said I was at the power cap. Would've been nice for them to tell me about that beforehand.

There's a limit of 13 points, so you can go 5 5 3 or 5 4 4.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If you beat the living hell out of the pre-patch game, there was a loophole where you could level all three powers to L16+, which post-patch rounded up to 5/5/5. Honestly, that doesn't make a stunning difference for any chars you would've had at that point -- Iron Man 35, perhaps, not having to decide between lesser stun on Freon or fewer Protect tiles.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Iron Man's blue nuke hits hard but the AP cost is ridiculous. I almost never use the thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's almost always just an extra direct damage mop up for me, which is why I regret that I hosed up and levelled it to 4 - the stun is very rarely as much use as the fact that it deals almost twice as much as Repulsor Blast. Cap/Widow both have cheaper stuns so they're available when you actually need a stun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man the new arctic mission in Red Iso event. This writing. It's so bad. :allears:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Alright, any hints on how to beat the red iso mission with the lv 60 Don and two lv 60 Muscles?

I can't seem to get any traction with my lv50 Thor, lv36 Iron Man and lv33 Cap. The board just explodes with countdowns.

Deep Winter posted:

gray black widow?

I'm fond of Grey Suit Black Widow because her green skill is pretty good at level 1 and if you max it to lv5 it hits all enemies.

Hell, I'll just quote myself:

Helical Nightmares posted:

Managed to get Black Widow (Grey Suit) when I dropped a dollar on this. At level four she does 11 damage per blue, 12 damage per purple and 10 damage per black tile which is a great complement to Iron Man (yellow, red and blue tiles).

Edit: I'm starting to regret leveling up Modern Black Widow's Aggressive Recon to level 4. It requires so much purple ap it rarely comes into play. I might decide to start another one and bring it to 2 Aggressive Recon/5 Widow's Sting so she does nothing but steal ap in between stunning the opponent's entire party.

VVVVVV
Good advice. Thanks.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 30, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Alright, any hints on how to beat the red iso mission with the lv 60 Don and two lv 60 Muscles?

I can't seem to get any traction with my lv50 Thor, lv36 Iron Man and lv33 Cap. The board just explodes with countdowns.

That one's a bit of a slog, but keep in mind that only a few of those countdowns are actually attacks. They're mostly ap and strike boosts. I got through with Modern Storm since her green power smashes a lot of tiles at random for fairly cheap, eliminating a lot of timers. The team you took along are all focussed on red and yellows, throw in a bit of balance so you're doing even damage and have a range of powers to call on.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

ghostwritingduck posted:

Buy cover space with coins and hold onto your 2 star guys and higher. I ended up with Grey Magneto 3 times by random luck, and he's great for PVE.

I'm up to 17 covers and keep everyone except the usual insta-sells; it's not working great so far.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got two heroic tokens from today's ISO stuff. Loki and Spider Man yellow. There go my shiny new slot spaces. :negative:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I have 3 heroic tokens and 2 Standard tokens, but 1 empty slot (I sold off the Dark Avengers Black Widow right before the Dark Avengers thing started).

I have been trying to get those 50 coin rewards to unlock slots but keep getting the drat 20 ISO reward. I noticed when they did the last major update that the rewards have star levels, which you would expect to equate to rarity like the covers.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

That one's a bit of a slog, but keep in mind that only a few of those countdowns are actually attacks. They're mostly ap and strike boosts. I got through with Modern Storm since her green power smashes a lot of tiles at random for fairly cheap, eliminating a lot of timers. The team you took along are all focussed on red and yellows, throw in a bit of balance so you're doing even damage and have a range of powers to call on.

Agreed. I swapped in modern Storm for my higher levelled classic Storm and the last two current ISO fights went much more smoothly. Between filling the board with crap via Hail Storm and blowing things up with the green power, it kept the timers under control long enough.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If I want to level Spidey Classic's Yellow power, I can hope another card drops, or I can spend... 1250 coins. :shepspends:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

If I want to level Spidey Classic's Yellow power, I can hope another card drops, or I can spend... 1250 coins. :shepspends:

I'm hoping the stupid costs are just for while it's in beta, and that they'll make them more reasonable once it's fully released. That, and change the UI up— the current UI is atrocious

...this is in beta right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It does say 'preview edition' on the front screen. Soooooo.... maybe?

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

There's a QA thread on the official forums saying that the 'preview edition' label is just to indicate that they're continuously adding new content rather than being a beta with an official release.

That being said with the big R40 patch they've shown that they're open to making wide ranging changes to the game so I wouldn't be surprised if they tweaked the cost or changed how skills are purchased in the future.

Also saw a note about a bug with the current version culling the list of available FB friends to share with, so hopefully that is resolved soon for those that were saying they only see the same small pool of people.

Black Bo[X] fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 30, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

What's up with these guys in the unstable iso-8 event with 2500 points? Even if you're cheating so each battle only takes 10 seconds, you'd still have to sit there pressing buttons for hours.

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity

MeramJert posted:

What's up with these guys in the unstable iso-8 event with 2500 points? Even if you're cheating so each battle only takes 10 seconds, you'd still have to sit there pressing buttons for hours.

Probably cheating and just giving themselves more iso

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

MeramJert posted:

Sitting there pressing buttons for hours? That's what they do. That's ALL they do.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

MeramJert posted:

I think you just need to level Daken up a bit. Mine is level 38 with the strike tile ability maxed, and it's strange if I don't have 80+ bonus damage on the board at any point. It's common for me to have 150-200 bonus damage on every single attack, which is basically like having a low level direct damage ability fire every turn.

I like Daken alot as a utility character for replaying mission and Dark Avengers PVP. He doesn't use any AP, doesn't really need healing in those contexts, and provide a decent attack buff. I usually use him with two other characters like Ironman and Storm since they cover the majority of AP usage.

delfin posted:

Less often once you have some decent guys on your team. A good rule of thumb is that you'll be getting Standard Tokens from quest rewards and from Facebook buddies; those are effectively the same as the 500 ISO draws. I'd say about 75% 1* guys from that.

I'm still on the Oscorp mission, and I say that ISO is definitely best spent levelling up Iron Man as a priority, and using those level ups as heals. 90% of his covers drop as fixed rewards, and I don't see him leaving my team for a long long time.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 30, 2013

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Emron posted:

They're generally ridiculous and give 2-4 iso. One right now has Yelena with two maggia minions with like 6k health.

Unless there's some way to rotate the map that I haven't discovered, none of mine are repeatable. I have 2 "impossible" ones with level 70 Maggia dudes but nothing like what you're describing.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

New Leaf posted:

Unless there's some way to rotate the map that I haven't discovered, none of mine are repeatable. I have 2 "impossible" ones with level 70 Maggia dudes but nothing like what you're describing.

Those are the repeatable ones. I think one is moonstone and two level 90 pyros and the other is Yelena and two level 70 mobster guys. They rotate each day which ones can be repeated, but they're always really tough and always give gently caress all for rewards. They're just whale bait.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

New Leaf posted:

The repeatable ones are the "impossible" ones. Right now, though this may change at noon EST if they're feeling frisky, there are:

* Stolen Goods (blue ring): L40 Yelena, two L85 Muscle, 2 ISO points
* Battle in Brazil (green ring): L73 Moonstone, L90 Soldier, L90 Pyro, 6 ISO points

My team for both is Captain America w/L5 Peacemaker, Thor, Storm Modern. If you beat the supervillain down quickly, you can go the rest of the way with no damage if you manage Countdown tiles well. Cap kills Countdowns dead with a maxed Peacemaker, Storm can shuffle the board and generate APs with Mistress of the Elements/Lightning Strike, and Thor just smashes. (Though Thunder Strike generating green tiles does help both clear green Countdowns and feed Lightning Strike.)

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The real benefit of the red iso event to me is the good amount of (purple) iso you can get from it. It's just like a free set of rewards each day.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

delfin posted:

The repeatable ones are the "impossible" ones. Right now, though this may change at noon EST if they're feeling frisky, there are:

* Stolen Goods (blue ring): L40 Yelena, two L85 Muscle, 2 ISO points
* Battle in Brazil (green ring): L73 Moonstone, L90 Soldier, L90 Pyro, 6 ISO points

My team for both is Captain America w/L5 Peacemaker, Thor, Storm Modern. If you beat the supervillain down quickly, you can go the rest of the way with no damage if you manage Countdown tiles well. Cap kills Countdowns dead with a maxed Peacemaker, Storm can shuffle the board and generate APs with Mistress of the Elements/Lightning Strike, and Thor just smashes. (Though Thunder Strike generating green tiles does help both clear green Countdowns and feed Lightning Strike.)

Christ, you guys must be much more levelled than I am.. I can't even touch those fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Any recommendations for a good skill distribution for Modern Storm. I've currrently got her at 3/4/3(this is from before the skill level revamp). I'm thinking 5/5/3 is the answer but Im open to being persuaded otherwise.