Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm in the spirit to catch me some spooky ghosts. I'm going to have an all ghost team and nobody can stop me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

Darkrai, Genesect, and probably Yvaltel are all Uber, which is a fancy word for banned. So using them is pretty poor form, yes.

Registeel is A-OK though.

Is there any other edgy cool Dark types?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

tomkash posted:

Most of the way through breeding myself a rain team for doubles, ludicolo heliolisk and toxicroack. I want it for the battle maison and random WiFi battles. Anyone have any recomendations of the 4th pokemon? Can imagine myself being destroyed by mega blazikens and mewtwos as soon as I get my team together. Ludicolo is my favourite though and I like him being the centerpiece. Too bad my shiny lotad is a swift swimmer with bad ivs :(

Hydration Goodra with Rest paired with Rain Dish Ludicolo would be super annoying and possibly effective.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Is there any other edgy cool Dark types?

Mega Houndoom, Mega Absol, Mega Tyranitar, and Mega Gyarados are the four dark-type mega evolutions. This generation also added Malamar, which has some interesting tricks, and Pangoro, which is powerful but probably inferior overall to Scrafty. Everybody loves Greninja, though its Dark typing doesn't really matter because its hidden ability, Protean, is why people like it. Sableye, Murkrow (but not Honchkrow), and Liepard are Prankster users, giving them tremendous utility despite their weakness. Hydreigon, Bisharp, and Weavile are all rather useful, and I've had some success in the past with a Drapion. Zoroark has an interesting gimmick that lets it masquerade as another pokemon in your team, which is hard to use but can be very effective.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Zoroark has an interesting gimmick that lets it masquerade as another pokemon in your team, which is hard to use but can be very effective.

It continues to baffle me that they made team preview mandatory in the generation they introduced this thing.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Does anybody know what the multisymbol bordered pokepuffs do? I've gotten 2 whenever I get a good score in unlimited head-it (800+/5 stars). I'm guessing they're strictly better than all the others, but I have no idea if they have other effects.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

tomkash posted:

Most of the way through breeding myself a rain team for doubles, ludicolo heliolisk and toxicroack. I want it for the battle maison and random WiFi battles. Anyone have any recomendations of the 4th pokemon? Can imagine myself being destroyed by mega blazikens and mewtwos as soon as I get my team together. Ludicolo is my favourite though and I like him being the centerpiece. Too bad my shiny lotad is a swift swimmer with bad ivs :(

Just spitballing, but Noivern can learn Hurricane (a huge base power flying move with 70 accuracy that becomes 100 in the rain) and has telepathy as its hidden ability to dodge team mates surfs and whatnot. If you're willing either to take some damage yourself or if you can find room for a ghost type on your team then boom burst is an absurdly powerful AoE normal move.

Maybe a more offensively oriented water pokemon? Clawitzer's got great coverage, Rotom-W's good all around but overlaps with Heliolisk, uhhh I dunno what else. Azumarill?

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Previous Jesus posted:

I don't really like Gourgeist but Pumpkaboo is one of the cutest/best designed first stage Pokemon they've ever made.

Agreed. Same deal applies to Goomy imo :negative:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Feranon posted:

Agreed. Same deal applies to Goomy imo :negative:

If you're slamming Sliggoo right now I think we're going to have to take this outside.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Stalgren posted:

Internet People

Yeah I don't know what I was expecting really. Maybe I'm trying too hard to pretend that pokemon are adorable eugenics buddies, so I get a little spooked when someone reminds me that they're basically just balls of numbers.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

In my opinion if I ever win a game entirely because my pokemon have 5 perfect IVs, I should of lost. There are enough variables in this game that I don't think I can attribute my success solely to my stat breeding. I only do it because I'm a :spergin: and it annoys me when something isn't as close to perfect as possible. Also because I derive a sense of satisfaction of finally having the Judge tell me my pokemon is perfect in basically everything.

I only really aim for "good" stats more than perfect stats; the importance of IVs is especially lessened by the in-game battle rules capping levels at 50 rather than 100. I've been using the same Charizard, Mawile, Gogoat and Goodra that I went through the story with in online battles and doing perfectly fine.

That being said, with the Safari guaranteeing at least 2 perfect IVs on each Pokemon caught there, when I'm breeding it's a lot easier to keep track of things when I'm working with perfect IVs because the Judge will specifically say "this stat's perfect" and I don't have to go to the work of checking stats on newborn Pokemon. It's just a lot more convenient to get everything perfect than punching things into a calculator every single time, to me.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

LAY-ZX posted:

If you're slamming Sliggoo right now I think we're going to have to take this outside.

Bring it on, creampuff :clint:

(sliggoo's design isn't that bad, but goodra's kinda is. neither of them have anything on goomy, in any case)

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Nifty! Where do you catch these pokemon? I'll update the guide if you tell me.

List of the babies and what egg groups their evolutions fall under:

Chingling (Amorphous) - Reflection Cave
Tyrogue (Human-like) - Friend Safari
Smoochum (Human-like) - Frost Cavern [Hordes]
Azurill (Water 1/Fairy) - Route 3, Route 22
Budew (Grass/Fairy) - Route 4
Mime Jr (Human-like) - Reflection Cave [Hordes]
Riolu (Field/Human-like) - Route 22, Friend Safari
Mantyke (Water 1) - Route 12, Azure Bay

This is a wide enough net to get 5V studs for literally any egg group in the game, either directly or through chain breeding.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Steelion posted:

If I'm trying to breed a Ferroseed with leech seed and stealth rock, can I do it in steps? As in,

Skiploom with Leech Seed + Ferroseed = Ferroseed with Leech Seed,
Ferroseed with Leech Seed + Golem with Stealth Rock = Ferroseed with Leech Seed and Stealth Rock

And then breed that last Ferroseed like mad for IVs and nature? I've basically never done egg move breeding.

I found this out the other night, but you cannot currently breed a leech seed+stealth rock ferroseed. Egg moves only come from the father, and you need exactly a Torterra (which isn't available) with a move tutor'd stealth rock as a father for that combination.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Can you really only use the Lumiose Galette once? I have several right now so I just want to make sure before I use one, the flavor text is kind of misleading.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

nerdbot posted:

It's just a lot more convenient to get everything perfect than punching things into a calculator every single time, to me.
If anyone told me in G5 that G6 breeding for perfect IVs would ever not only be possible, but actually convenient, I'd laugh in their face.

The times, how they change.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Lhet posted:

I found this out the other night, but you cannot currently breed a leech seed+stealth rock ferroseed. Egg moves only come from the father, and you need exactly a Torterra (which isn't available) with a move tutor'd stealth rock as a father for that combination.

Didn't they change it so that the mother could pass on egg moves?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Lhet posted:

Egg moves only come from the father,

They come from both parents now. Please stop spewing this bullshit :mad:

Breed Onixes until you have Ferroseeds with Stealth Rock, then use those to receive Leech Seed from Bulbasaurs.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Apparition posted:

Can you really only use the Lumiose Galette once? I have several right now so I just want to make sure before I use one, the flavor text is kind of misleading.

It's just a cheap Full Heal, so yeah.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Emalde posted:

They come from both parents now. Please stop spewing this bullshit :mad:

Breed Onixes until you have Ferroseeds with Stealth Rock, then use those to receive Leech Seed from Bulbasaurs.

I'm sorry, I thought it was only the abilities that could now come from fathers, and a search brought me to a gamefaqs thread telling me only torterra could make it happen, so I believed it wasn't possible.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

nerdbot posted:

I only really aim for "good" stats more than perfect stats; the importance of IVs is especially lessened by the in-game battle rules capping levels at 50 rather than 100. I've been using the same Charizard, Mawile, Gogoat and Goodra that I went through the story with in online battles and doing perfectly fine.

That being said, with the Safari guaranteeing at least 2 perfect IVs on each Pokemon caught there, when I'm breeding it's a lot easier to keep track of things when I'm working with perfect IVs because the Judge will specifically say "this stat's perfect" and I don't have to go to the work of checking stats on newborn Pokemon. It's just a lot more convenient to get everything perfect than punching things into a calculator every single time, to me.
Yeah. Since safari pokemon come with two or more perfect IVs, including dittos, I usually have near-perfect IVs (typically: outstanding with perfects in the stats that matter) by the time I breed a Pokemon with the right egg moves, ability, nature, etc. I'd basically have to go out of my way to not have good IVs this generation, since it comes down to sticking a destiny knot on a pokemon/ditto combo that have a couple perfects on them from the safari.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
Good news, if noone knows about it, is if you entered the friend safari while your friend is online you can keep getting the third pokemon/hidden abilities if he goes offline as long as you don't leave.

Bad news is that Gabites in friend safari have Take Down.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you plan on battling in the battlespot you should max out speed IVs on popular pokemon (ones like Garchomp, Talonflame, etc) so you don't instantly lose the mirror.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

cheetah7071 posted:

If you plan on battling in the battlespot you should max out speed IVs on popular pokemon (ones like Garchomp, Talonflame, etc) so you don't instantly lose the mirror.
Or just run Choice Scarf. :getin:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Kin33 posted:

Good news, if noone knows about it, is if you entered the friend safari while your friend is online you can keep getting the third pokemon/hidden abilities if he goes offline as long as you don't leave.

Good news, if your friend goes offline you can leave the safari, shut your game off, run a lap around the world, win four Olympic medals, go back to the friend safari, and find that things still have their hidden abilities. It only requires that you've both been online at the same time once.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Ixjuvin posted:

Yeah I don't know what I was expecting really. Maybe I'm trying too hard to pretend that pokemon are adorable eugenics buddies, so I get a little spooked when someone reminds me that they're basically just balls of numbers.

Good heavens those both sound pretty bad

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When a Gale Wings Talonflame uses Fly, is priority given to the first turn, the second turn, or both?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

When a Gale Wings Talonflame uses Fly, is priority given to the first turn, the second turn, or both?

Both.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Haifisch posted:

You don't even need to do unlimited - if you already have a stockpile of good puffs, you can do any game twice on the easiest mode and it'll work to reset your notes. I find that the tile game is a lot faster than Head It, although none of them are exactly hard.
I love the tile game so much that I'm constantly trying to beat my own records, but I'm terrible at the Yarn Game even though I love rhythm games. I just want five stars :(

It'd be nice to know the specifics of the minigames, though. Does doing well influence your Affection increase? Does Puzzle unlimited count as doing one puzzle per stage?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How well you do only affects the cupcakes you get. Doing the yarn game and letting the first three fall gets the same snack/petting allowance as scoring over a thousand (base score caps at 999 but bonus points based on largest combo).

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I think I'm going to spend Halloween on the wonder trade. Sending out appropriate ghosts (Golett may be awesome but not quite right) and some Graveler/Roggenrola named IGotARock. Anyone have other ideas to include?

You better trade some Pumpkaboos and name all of them Great Pumpkin.

I didn't think I'd like Gourgeist very much, but my Jacqueline is just so happy and has such a stupid little face. :3:

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Looks like Pokemon hacking is starting to take off. A fellow over at Project Pokemon by the name of codemonkey85 has released a very barebones .pkx file editor. In addition, people have figured out how to inject encrypted .pkx files (.bin) into the "incoming Wonder Trade" packet data. There's pretty much a full guide on how to do this over at GBAtemp ed: assuming you know how to do things like packet injection/sniffing. You need a WLAN dongle, it seems, which I don't have so I can't do this myself.

Now, I'm not saying use this to cheat and get impossible abilities or movesets or stats.. but we should be able to get info on Diancie, Hoopa and Volcanion, and any other Pokemon past that. Once a .pkx editor comes out that supports items, we should also be able to check out any new mega stones that we don't know about yet. Of course, this is assuming that this extra data is actually in the game and not just gonna be patched in at a later point - it's pretty likely though, since Blazikenite would have to be in the game data to get it via Mystery Gift.

...but most importantly, we can get a Whimsicott then start breeding them to get them out into the wild :swoon:

ed: if someone wants to try this I stole a snorlax.pkx example out of that Project Pokemon thread and made a handful of .bins out of it, just changed the ID of Snorlax to 719/720/721 and 547 (Whimsicott :ssh:). I don't want to recommend trying beyond 721 because who knows what would happen if you got Wonder Traded a Pokemon that doesn't exist, but if you want to make your own .pkx and give it a shot, go ahead. I think you're supposed to replace the [bracketed] section on the GBATemp diagram of a Wonder Trade packet with the contents of the .bin file.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 30, 2013

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Kin33 posted:

Bad news is that Gabites in friend safari have Take Down.

Which is why Aegislash is the best for keeping Pokemon from killing themselves while you false swipe :eng101:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

maketakunai posted:

...but most importantly, we can get a Whimsicott then start breeding them to get them out into the wild :swoon:
I don't have a WLAN dongle but my buddy does and I can't wait to play with Snivy in Pokemon-Amie :allears:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I don't have a WLAN dongle but my buddy does and I can't wait to play with Snivy in Pokemon-Amie :allears:

Don't forget to give the alpha and omega snuggles.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
What's the threshold for technician?

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Feranon posted:

(sliggoo's design isn't that bad, but goodra's kinda is. neither of them have anything on goomy, in any case)

What the gently caress

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Any move 60 Power or lower gets boosted by 50%

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

maketakunai posted:

MOST importantly, we can give all those guys putting Xerneas/Yveltal on the GTS for unobtainable Pokemon exactly what they're asking for. :getin:

Also, holy poo poo I just found a shiny Wingull in a horde while EV training and that was the most nervewracking capture I've ever had to do because HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO TELL WHICH ONE IS WHICH, CRIPES. Luckily since I was EV training I had some weak Pokemon on me to test which one was which but that was just terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

nerdbot posted:

MOST importantly, we can give all those guys putting Xerneas/Yveltal on the GTS for unobtainable Pokemon exactly what they're asking for. :getin:

Also, holy poo poo I just found a shiny Wingull in a horde while EV training and that was the most nervewracking capture I've ever had to do because HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO TELL WHICH ONE IS WHICH, CRIPES. Luckily since I was EV training I had some weak Pokemon on me to test which one was which but that was just terrifying.

Finding a shiny is easy. It's when you trace a hidden ability that it's Hell.

• Locked thread