Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Ixjuvin posted:

Why and how the gently caress do you even figure this out

https://www.google.com/search?q=pokemon+damage+calculator&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ixjuvin posted:

Pokemon Numbers are pretty static for the most part so if you assume EV's and Iv's in the more popular builds you can calculate exactly how much damage you do!

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Emong posted:

Speaking of, I hope people are noticing that all the Fletchlings I'm wonder trading have Gale Wings :v:

Are they also Adament? I got two of those today and smiled both times. :)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Ixjuvin posted:

If you think you've seen people sperging about Pokemon you ain't seen nothing yet.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ixjuvin posted:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

As for why, Starmie is a frail, fast Water resist that is commonly used, it was the first thing I tested when looking at the damage differences between Mystic Water and a non-damage-boosting item.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Emalde posted:

This is otherwise fantastic besides the fact mothers can also pass down eggs moves (which you were informed of), but it does not include the information that wild unbreedable pokemon (baby pokemon) will have Three 31IVs, which is immensely faster than breeding pairs of 2Vs to start with.

Nifty! Where do you catch these pokemon? I'll update the guide if you tell me.

Emalde posted:

This is false. :(

What, nooooooo!

Why not, there's only eight of the twelve ghost type slots filled, what the hell guys.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Well it took long enough thanks to dumb baby poo poo like real people and work :rolleyes:, but I finally cleared the game:

Yoko, Camille, Hanzo,
Crowley, Artemis, Tiamat

all were exceptional. especially Tiamat, who seems to give no gently caress about acquiring a 4x weakness this gen. Even less so now that I finally got the flash cannon TM and slapped it on her :smugdog:

Guess I'll train up my second string and let them have a go pretty soon

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Classtoise posted:

I think that this is even more asinine than last gen ("it's basically loving random forever!")

It's not really all that random! Just requires some trial and error. I had a hard time explaining this, so I made a really stupid chart illustrating methods for breeding with the Destiny Knot. Obviously this gets simpler if you don't need to involve Dittos, but if you don't have access to a Friend Safari with the Pokemon you want, or whatever, y'know. I'm sure there's a way to simplify all this, but...this is the best way I can explain breeding.

http://i.imgur.com/NE6Xxua.png

I realized just as I uploaded this, "wait, you could just put the Speed power item on that first Hawlucha kid instead of using the Destiny Knot that first time" but other than that.

EDIT: In the time in took me to make that stupid-rear end chart someone already did a good writeup. Oh well.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 30, 2013

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Mystic Mongol posted:

Nifty! Where do you catch these pokemon? I'll update the guide if you tell me.

What, nooooooo!

Why not, there's only eight of the twelve ghost type slots filled, what the hell guys.

Well honestly it's probably not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be, if I can just find a friend safari with Kirlia I would be set. I guess I'm going to need to hunt down someone with a fairy safari.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Just got a Japanese Scyther in wonder trade with adamant, technician, superior IVs (attack, speed, hp perfect), and egg moves. Thanks random guy, that was weirdly generous. I gave him a swift swim Poliwhirl so it wasn't a total ripoff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think I'm going to spend Halloween on the wonder trade. Sending out appropriate ghosts (Golett may be awesome but not quite right) and some Graveler/Roggenrola named IGotARock. Anyone have other ideas to include?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bruceski posted:

I think I'm going to spend Halloween on the wonder trade. Sending out appropriate ghosts (Golett may be awesome but not quite right) and some Graveler/Roggenrola named IGotARock. Anyone have other ideas to include?

Just call them "A Rock". The Wonder Trader text will do the rest.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Find Friend Safari zones with Pumpkaboo and Phantumps so that way you'll be giving them Gourgeists and Trevenants due to them being trade evolutions. They have the added benefit of having two (or more) perfect IVs :spooky:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Star Guarded posted:

Just got a Japanese Scyther in wonder trade with adamant, technician, superior IVs (attack, speed, hp perfect), and egg moves. Thanks random guy, that was weirdly generous. I gave him a swift swim Poliwhirl so it wasn't a total ripoff.

People who breed for perfect IVs perfectly idolize the concept of "one man's trash is another man's treasure". Yesterday I unloaded a box and a half full of Adamant Drilburs with anywhere between 2 and 4 perfect IVs each and didn't give any one of them a second thought.

Bruceski posted:

Not really an idea, but I just wanna point out that with the character limit increase you can make it "I Got A Rock", spaces included.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
seeing all the questions about pokemon-amie in this thread makes me wonder if I should write a guide how to quickly max that poo poo out to five hearts. I've basically made it an art at this point-can do it in about 5-10 minutes or so.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Desperate Character posted:

Find Friend Safari zones with Pumpkaboo and Phantumps so that way you'll be giving them Gourgeists and Trevenants due to them being trade evolutions. They have the added benefit of having two (or more) perfect IVs :spooky:

That's where my Trevenants will be coming from, I don't have anyone with Pumpkaboo.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

LAY-ZX posted:

People who breed for perfect IVs perfectly idolize the concept of "one man's trash is another man's treasure". Yesterday I unloaded a box and a half full of Adamant Drilburs with anywhere between 2 and 4 perfect IVs each and didn't give any one of them a second thought.
It's pretty great because it's also male, so if I did want one with perfect IVs I could swap an everstone on a safari ditto and have one in a lucky batch of eggs or two with everything passed down.

Also I just caught a safari togepi with 4 perfect IVs already. This generation has made breeding so ridiculously reliable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nevileen posted:

seeing all the questions about pokemon-amie in this thread makes me wonder if I should write a guide how to quickly max that poo poo out to five hearts. I've basically made it an art at this point-can do it in about 5-10 minutes or so.

Given it is purely for fun this seems like the most pointless thing ever.

VVV And you would only ever need any of that stuff in the Maison, where it doesn't work.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 30, 2013

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually, it gives an increased chance to dodge stuff, get more EXP, a chance to get rid of status effects and get crits in game. Including, I believe, the battle Maison? I might be wrong though since I haven't actually been in there yet.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Nevileen posted:

If you can do it that fast, I'd appreciate a guide. I can generally get it done in about twenty minutes. Two rounds of Berry Picker with a score of 100+, pets, puffs, two more rounds. Repeat around seven times. Effective, but not all that quick and kind of boring after a couple spins.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Nevileen posted:

Actually, it gives an increased chance to dodge stuff, get more EXP, a chance to get rid of status effects and get crits in game. Including, I believe, the battle Maison? I might be wrong, though.

Doesn't work in the Maison.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

If you can do it that fast, I'd appreciate a guide. I can generally get it done in about twenty minutes. Two rounds of Berry Picker with a score of 100+, pets, puffs, two more rounds. Repeat around seven times. Effective, but not all that quick and kind of boring after a couple spins.

I found the tile puzzle to be quicker. 23 seconds to do the Normal one, get four puffs for a five-star rating, repeat.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm not too up on tiers and playing against actual people, but is it poor form to use legendaries? Darkrai DARKRAI and Genesect are both really slick, and I wanted the Y Pokemon or Registeel to round out my team.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

You could make that argument about anything in this thread.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Anatharon posted:

I'm not too up on tiers and playing against actual people, but is it poor form to use legendaries? Darkrai DARKRAI and Genesect are both really slick, and I wanted the Y Pokemon or Registeel to round out my team.

In the competitive community, the legendaries with no more than 600 BST are generally kosher. As a rule the box legendaries are out. There are exceptions, but if you want to know what's allowed and what's not it's best to find a website devoted to whatever format you're interested in. Smogon is good for singles, Nugget Bridge covers the VGC metagame.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Darkrai, Genesect, and probably Yvaltel are all Uber, which is a fancy word for banned. So using them is pretty poor form, yes.

Registeel is A-OK though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It should be said that the sixth generation is so new that nobody has really decided what should be banned and what shouldn't be.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It's pretty much that, but you're aiming WAY too high. From what I can tell, it's not actually the quality of the game (the points) that counts for the notes-it's quantity on unlimited.

Basically, it should look something like this:

1. Pet pokemon on it's max happy spot (some pokemon do not show an expression, so you have to go by the higher pitched sound the rubbing makes) until it stops giving hearts and gives a note.

2. FEED THAT BITCH. You want the frosted deluxe ones. Feed until full.

3. Unlock unlimited mode on the yarn game, and play until you get 50 or so points. 50 is the minimum you get for the first star, and will award you 2 frosted deluxe pokepuffs. Play 2-3 times.

Repeat until max happy. You can do it really quick when you have it down.

Yeah, I have spent a long-rear end time in pokemon-amie.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Nevileen posted:

It's pretty much that, but you're aiming WAY too high. From what I can tell, it's not actually the quality of the game (the points) that counts for the notes-it's quantity on unlimited.

Basically, it should look something like this:

1. Pet pokemon on it's max happy spot (some pokemon do not show an expression, so you have to go by the higher pitched sound the rubbing makes) until it stops giving hearts and gives a note.

2. FEED THAT BITCH. You want the frosted deluxe ones. Feed until full.

3. Unlock unlimited mode on the yarn game, and play until you get 50 or so points. 50 is the minimum you get for the first star, and will award you 2 frosted deluxe pokepuffs. Play 2-3 times.

Repeat until max happy. You can do it really quick when you have it down.

Yeah, I have spent a long-rear end time in pokemon-amie.
You don't even need to do unlimited - if you already have a stockpile of good puffs, you can do any game twice on the easiest mode and it'll work to reset your notes. I find that the tile game is a lot faster than Head It, although none of them are exactly hard.

On a related note, you know what the only thing better than Pokemon Amie high fives are?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU3WIGl6Gt8
Pokemon Amie kisses. :kimchi:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I just realized that the disappointing thing about Amie is that you only have five hearts to work with. I want to play more with my pokemon, dammit.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

Haifisch posted:

You don't even need to do unlimited - if you already have a stockpile of good puffs, you can do any game twice on the easiest mode and it'll work to reset your notes. I find that the tile game is a lot faster than Head It, although none of them are exactly hard.

On a related note, you know what the only thing better than Pokemon Amie high fives are?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU3WIGl6Gt8
Pokemon Amie kisses. :kimchi:

Yeah, it's all pretty much just whatever game you feel the most comfortable in. I'm better with Head It (got the max score limit on three lives to see if I could once), and I can control when I want to end the game. I just recommended doing unlimited so you don't get the annoying "let me hold your hand' messages you get in easy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I hate that breeding for perfect IVs is so much easier than earlier generations, because now other people will actually do it outside of simulators. That's a line I won't cross. I'll just have to resign myself to the fact that I'm going to lose every mirror match.

Of course, if I find myself in a mirror match at all, even if I win, I've still lost. So I guess it's not a big deal.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Ixjuvin posted:

Internet People

Its ghost time

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In my opinion if I ever win a game entirely because my pokemon have 5 perfect IVs, I should of lost. There are enough variables in this game that I don't think I can attribute my success solely to my stat breeding. I only do it because I'm a :spergin: and it annoys me when something isn't as close to perfect as possible. Also because I derive a sense of satisfaction of finally having the Judge tell me my pokemon is perfect in basically everything.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 30, 2013

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Stalgren posted:

Internet People

Its ghost time

I don't really like Gourgeist but Pumpkaboo is one of the cutest/best designed first stage Pokemon they've ever made.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

In my opinion if I ever win a game entirely because my pokemon have 5 perfect IVs, I should of lost. There are enough variables in this game that I don't think I can attribute my success solely to my stat breeding. I only do it because I'm a :spergin: and it annoys me when something isn't as close to perfect as possible.

Yeah, basically this. The difference between a 31 IV and a 20-something is almost irrelevant.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
The only time where the difference between 30 and 31 (or even 25 and 31) is going to be noticable to the point where you can tell it won or lost you a game is when you don't outspeed something you should.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Most of the way through breeding myself a rain team for doubles, ludicolo heliolisk and toxicroack. I want it for the battle maison and random WiFi battles. Anyone have any recomendations of the 4th pokemon? Can imagine myself being destroyed by mega blazikens and mewtwos as soon as I get my team together. Ludicolo is my favourite though and I like him being the centerpiece. Too bad my shiny lotad is a swift swimmer with bad ivs :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Previous Jesus posted:

I don't really like Gourgeist but Pumpkaboo is one of the cutest/best designed first stage Pokemon they've ever made.

Yea I caught two Pumpkaboos, evolved one for the pokedex but kept that dumb rear end thing in my box all this time. Pupkaboo, though? He's my bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
If I'm trying to breed a Ferroseed with leech seed and stealth rock, can I do it in steps? As in,

Skiploom with Leech Seed + Ferroseed = Ferroseed with Leech Seed,
Ferroseed with Leech Seed + Golem with Stealth Rock = Ferroseed with Leech Seed and Stealth Rock

And then breed that last Ferroseed like mad for IVs and nature? I've basically never done egg move breeding.

• Locked thread