Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm pretty sure after that throw Janet proceeds to hand Hank his own rear end because one of the major sub-plots of the West Coast Avengers is Hank Pym Is Terrible At Super-heroics. And pretty much everything else, but definitely super-heroics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'm pretty sure after that throw Janet proceeds to hand Hank his own rear end because one of the major sub-plots of the West Coast Avengers is Hank Pym Is Terrible At Super-heroics. And pretty much everything else, but definitely super-heroics.

Pretty much. Janet utterly wrecks him for two pages until he tricks her by playing dead and tosses her in a hamster ball.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

Is the Wasp seriously aloud to do anything that isn't shacking up with a random guy or dying?

Roger Stern made her Avengers leader, had her stop obsessing about men all the time, and had her lead the team through the siege on the mansion. He was going to do the same for Monica Rambeau, and then editorial shut it down. No other writer has ever built on that or even tried. It's a big peeve of mine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seldom Posts posted:

He was going to do the same for Monica Rambeau, and then editorial shut it down.

Well, at least we got Nextwave out of her neglect.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

Well, at least we got Nextwave out of her neglect.

I could read Nextwave basically forever, at least as long as Warren Ellis is writing it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Seldom Posts posted:

Roger Stern made her Avengers leader, had her stop obsessing about men all the time, and had her lead the team through the siege on the mansion. He was going to do the same for Monica Rambeau, and then editorial shut it down. No other writer has ever built on that or even tried. It's a big peeve of mine.

She was reinstated as Avengers leader in the last third or so of Kurt Busiek's tenure (with Scarlet Witch as deputy, no less) and led the team during the Kang War.

As for Monica Rambeau, I understand that was because Mark Gruenwald (who was writing Captain America at the time and also, I believe, editing the Avengers) wanted Cap to be leader of the team, which threw out a few years worth of character development and growth for the former (from rookie hero to valued team member to team leader). This understandably bothered Stern, enough so that he left the title in the middle of a story arc.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's basically what happened with the second Kid Quantem post Zero Hour/pre Infinite Crisis. She was a black female, too. She was fantastic in the leader role.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 24, 2014

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Metal Loaf posted:

As for Monica Rambeau, I understand that was because Mark Gruenwald (who was writing Captain America at the time and also, I believe, editing the Avengers) wanted Cap to be leader of the team, which threw out a few years worth of character development and growth for the former (from rookie hero to valued team member to team leader). This understandably bothered Stern, enough so that he left the title in the middle of a story arc.

That adds some new meaning to this panel from Nextwave.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Time for some 80ies! :catdrugs:

Hank just cracks me up.

Source: Uncanny X-Men 242.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 26, 2013

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You know those times in movies when a big group of bad guys attacks the lone hero one at a time and you're like, "Why don't they attack all at once?" Turns out, that's known as the K-11 and that's how the plan is supposed to work.

Strange Tales #157

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Uthor posted:

You know those times in movies when a big group of bad guys attacks the lone hero one at a time and you're like, "Why don't they attack all at once?" Turns out, that's known as the K-11 and that's how the plan is supposed to work.

Strange Tales #157

I think the idea is that too many enemy combatants just make it harder for them to navigate around each other, and they can just outlast him. If they'd attack 2 or 3 at a time and rotate around it'd work a lot better.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I think one at a time works great if you're the eighth or ninth dude to go at him.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

eriktown posted:

I could read Nextwave basically forever, at least as long as Warren Ellis is writing it.

Nextwave is the best superhero group ever.
From Nextwave #11:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cassa posted:

I think one at a time works great if you're the eighth or ninth dude to go at him.

I've always liked the old joke of one eager guy shouting,"HE CAN'T SHOOT ALL OF US IF WE RUSH HIM!" and then that guy gets shot first.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Did this comic come out before Snakes on a Plane?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Around the same time. At least within 2 years of each other, if not the same year.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cassa posted:

Turns out, Nick Fury just uses it as an opportunity to practice his takedowns while spouting one-liners. Then, something trippy happens.

Strange Tales #157

mind the walrus posted:

Around the same time. At least within 2 years of each other, if not the same year.

Nextwave started in '06 and I think that issue came out January 2007. Snakes on a Plane was August '06.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Uthor posted:

Turns out, Nick Fury just uses it as an opportunity to practice his takedowns while spouting one-liners. Then, something trippy happens.

Strange Tales #157

I love Steranko's mindset here. Okay, I'll do a series of panels of Nick beating up dudes and hitting them with one-liner after one-liner after one-liner, just real cheesy stuff AND THEN THE MAD MIND-TRIP OF HORROR BEGINS! :stare:

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
I'm having trouble figuring out the moves in the "Krunch!" , "Whump!", and "Girlscout Cookies" panels are supposed to be.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Dez Orwell posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out the moves in the "Krunch!" , "Whump!", and "Girlscout Cookies" panels are supposed to be.

"Krunch" appears to be some swinging-leg boot-to-the-head from a missionary position versus akimbo knives. "Girlscout Cookies" is dumb apparently a cartwheel backbreaker or something. (Why dumbass closed to melee range with a ranged weapon, :iiam: Same goes for the flamethrower in the panel above.)

"Whump"... uh, might be eaither a punch-to-the-headlock, or getting face-planted into the scenery. The real question is the casual thigh-to-the-groin, and how does his leg bend quite like that? :aaa:

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

"Girlscout Cookies" is dumb apparently a cartwheel backbreaker or something.

Pfft. He's clearly just botching an over the shoulder back-to-belly piledriver. Or a death valley bomb. It's hard to tell.

Anyway, Kate Beaton draws Black Canary: http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=351

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I think SHIELD would be more effective these days if they stopped being the good guy version of HYDRA and busted out the acid grenades hallucination cubes more often.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

TwoPair posted:

I think SHIELD would be more effective these days if they stopped being the good guy version of HYDRA and busted out the acid grenades hallucination cubes more often.

LSD was the government's answer to EVERYTHING back in the 60's and 70's.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Speaking of LSD, have some PERSPECTIVE

Going through these issues, the art range from "Bland" to ":negative:"

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Did anyone ever ask Peter to come sit down? It's a little awkward talking to a grown man having a pity party because their boss says mean things about them. Their choice to be in the fetal position half way up a 30ft wall really can't be helping.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

What exactly is Logan doing in that first panel?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Urdnot Fire posted:

He's extending his one claw so readers can identify that he's Wolverine. It's like how you can tell which saint is portrayed on an illustration by the accessories he or she is carrying.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Did anyone ever ask Peter to come sit down? It's a little awkward talking to a grown man having a pity party because their boss says mean things about them. Their choice to be in the fetal position half way up a 30ft wall really can't be helping.

Let's be fair. It's a LITTLE worse than "says mean things about them". Most bosses who do that only have the fifteen or so people in the office to hear, not five million newspaper readers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't some artists run with him just casually hanging out on the wall or corner or roof anyway, so it's not necessarily a pity party thing anymore?

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

I'm mostly joking, but he's bent over hugging himself, not doing the casual "Spidey squat" hangout pose, and he's way up the wall. It would be like if the fliers in the room insisted on hovering 6ft off the ground at all times. I think it's kind of silly, not in a bad comics way. It's actually a pretty good show of the character's emotion in this case, but it seems like someone in that room would notice, maybe call him on it, or at least it might be funny if they did.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Come to think of it, a few of them are doing that. Not flying 6' in the air, but Wolverine is doing his claw thing, Iron Man has a random hologram going on, and god forbid Cap but his shield on the table during a conversation...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Judging by everyone's height while talking to him it looks like Spidey has been slowly sliding down the wall the entire time, like a dog on carpet.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Elfface posted:

Come to think of it, a few of them are doing that. Not flying 6' in the air, but Wolverine is doing his claw thing, Iron Man has a random hologram going on, and god forbid Cap but his shield on the table during a conversation...

Cap's holding it down at his side, not that bad. The hologram's basically Iron Man's equivalent of talking to you while texting, pretty rude. Wolverine on the other hand looks like he just lost the claw version of "smell my finger". He's not pointing at anything, there's nothing around that would be appropriate to cut. What the hell is he supposed to be doing?

Ghostlight posted:

Judging by everyone's height while talking to him it looks like Spidey has been slowly sliding down the wall the entire time, like a dog on carpet.

He goes from the middle of the wall to a foot from the corner in between frames while staying in the same body position. I can only conclude he rolled across the wall. That's just the right combination of surreal and "Dammit Parker, have some dignity" that I can't stop laughing.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Urdnot Fire posted:

Wolverine with a claw out ads 50 dollars to the price of the art when you sell it at a convention.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

MikeJF posted:

Don't some artists run with him just casually hanging out on the wall or corner or roof anyway, so it's not necessarily a pity party thing anymore?

Yeah. Romita Sr. (the best Spider-Man artist) has always said that you should never draw Spider-Man just standing around and not stuck to a wall or in a weird pose. Especially during group shots.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cap's holding it down at his side, not that bad. The hologram's basically Iron Man's equivalent of talking to you while texting, pretty rude. Wolverine on the other hand looks like he just lost the claw version of "smell my finger". He's not pointing at anything, there's nothing around that would be appropriate to cut. What the hell is he supposed to be doing?

Given what he seems to be standing in front of, I figured he was using his claw to stir cream and sugar into his coffee because there weren't any clean spoons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And if there's one thing Wolverine is afraid of it's unwashed spoons.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Have you ever seen him wash those things?

(source: some issue of Marvel Adventures Spider-Man)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I want to hear the Green Day song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

I want to hear the Green Day song.

That would have been the perfect opportunity for one of those cardboard 45s that you'd occasionally get in Mad magazine.

• Locked thread