Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

xzzy posted:

Looks like Apple is gearing up to give away GarageBand, and make money from it off IAP:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/21/apple_announce_free_garage_band_sale/

Pay 99 cents for reverb! :downs:

It's gonna have to be really goddamn good to pry me away from nanostudio.
Hopefully this won't remove functionality that's already in the current version. I'm okay with charging for new instruments and effects, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I've been messing with iMaschine on my commute. It's quite fun. I just got an iPad semi-recently and want something similar.

Seems NanoStudio is pretty popular. I'm looking to work with all virtual instruments, so this would be a good choice right? I've read up on them but other than that, I'm not see why it's better/worse than BeatMaker.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nanostudio makes noises with a drum pad and a synth, it's not the greatest synth ever but it's competent at its job. So yeah you can make instruments and entire songs inside the app.

Can also load in samples if that's your thing.

If you just want to jam with techno sounds, take a look at Figure and iKaossilator. They're both built around experimentation and are a lot of fun. Figure sounds better to my ears, but iKaossilator is a lot more intelligent with how it manages saved tunes.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I've been messing with iMaschine on my commute. It's quite fun. I just got an iPad semi-recently and want something similar.

Seems NanoStudio is pretty popular. I'm looking to work with all virtual instruments, so this would be a good choice right? I've read up on them but other than that, I'm not see why it's better/worse than BeatMaker.

I've been using Tabletop with iMPC the most, the free synths aren't nothing special but it can host stuff like iSEM, control outside apps, sample from apps, has a master "scene" sequencer etc.

If they'd make iMPC fully midi mappable it would be just about perfect for me.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

W424 posted:

I've been using Tabletop with iMPC the most, the free synths aren't nothing special but it can host stuff like iSEM, control outside apps, sample from apps, has a master "scene" sequencer etc.

If they'd make iMPC fully midi mappable it would be just about perfect for me.

Do you have any stuff you've made with Tabletop up for listening anywhere? Cardinal Noire / Protectorate isn't made in Tabletop, is it?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Do you have any stuff you've made with Tabletop up for listening anywhere? Cardinal Noire / Protectorate isn't made in Tabletop, is it?

Nope, but I use it live for background ambience, one shots and such. Braps, if you will.

There's about 50 seconds of jamming at the beginning of this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtNMWsqxeVk
The singer gets a vodka bottle handed to him from the audience @ 4:20

W424 fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 23, 2013

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Turnado is on sale today, anyone know if it's worth picking up?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

captain wheeto posted:

Turnado is on sale today, anyone know if it's worth picking up?

Get it. You can do a lot with it.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
Which guitar-iOS interface should I get? Are Apogee jam or iRig pro good choices?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Dr. Klas posted:

Which guitar-iOS interface should I get? Are Apogee jam or iRig pro good choices?

Apogee Jam, no doubt. Anything that uses the headphone port instead of the dock is going to have really bad feedback issues. The Jam uses the lightning or 30-pin port and works great.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

smr posted:

Apogee Jam, no doubt. Anything that uses the headphone port instead of the dock is going to have really bad feedback issues. The Jam uses the lightning or 30-pin port and works great.

Yes, but Apogee are not alone in using the 30-pin port anymore. Peavey has AmpKit LiNK HD, Line6 has Sonic port and IK has iRig Pro and iRig HD. So many choices! I'm leaning towards the iRig Pro since it's got guitar, mic (with phantom power as well!) and MIDI ports.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I'm having a ton of fun with Figure. Played with it a bit last night jamming with a friend on acoustic guitar, but I didn't really have the hang of it yet. Just a moment ago I made a great sounding looping bit with drums, lead synth, and bass all working together really well. It feels like a game, but the end result is astonishingly good.

Are there any apps that work in a similar way but are more flexible for drums, like letting me write them in instead of having to play them while recording? Even an app purely for drums would probably be fine, as I could just prerecord them

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

TopherCStone posted:

I'm having a ton of fun with Figure. Played with it a bit last night jamming with a friend on acoustic guitar, but I didn't really have the hang of it yet. Just a moment ago I made a great sounding looping bit with drums, lead synth, and bass all working together really well. It feels like a game, but the end result is astonishingly good.

Are there any apps that work in a similar way but are more flexible for drums, like letting me write them in instead of having to play them while recording? Even an app purely for drums would probably be fine, as I could just prerecord them

While you still have to play/overdub the drums with it, give iMaschine a try. It's simple like Figure, but gives you a little more control. If you want to go deeper, check out iMPC (still have to play the beat), iElectribe and ReBirth ... and "8bit Drums" :-p

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
DM-1 is also great.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Thanks for the tips, I will look into all of those.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I might be getting an iPad soon. What are some basic apps that everyone gets for music production/performance?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

I might be getting an iPad soon. What are some basic apps that everyone gets for music production/performance?

Depends on what you want. GarageBand and NanoStudio are very good DAW-like apps. Samplr is a fantastic sampling and performance app. Then, there are tons of great single-instrument apps (Korg iMS-20 etc, Thor, Animoog, etc.). And lastly apps to just play around with like Figure, iKaossilator, iMaschine.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

FLX posted:

Depends on what you want. GarageBand and NanoStudio are very good DAW-like apps. Samplr is a fantastic sampling and performance app. Then, there are tons of great single-instrument apps (Korg iMS-20 etc, Thor, Animoog, etc.). And lastly apps to just play around with like Figure, iKaossilator, iMaschine.

Thanks, this is a good starting point. I'm mostly interested in live performance and looping but I'm sure there are other mind bending possibilities I've never even considered.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

Thanks, this is a good starting point. I'm mostly interested in live performance and looping but I'm sure there are other mind bending possibilities I've never even considered.

Then also check out Loopy and for funsies: Everyday Looper

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
If you're interested in loving with live sampling, I would heartily recommend Werkbench. It's got a unique interface that looks weird at first, but it's really cool once you get used to it.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

If you're interested in loving with live sampling, I would heartily recommend Werkbench. It's got a unique interface that looks weird at first, but it's really cool once you get used to it.

Wow! I didn't know Werkbench "werked" like that! I guess I'll check it out as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pg1EIkCbVc&t=58s

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

Wow! I didn't know Werkbench "werked" like that! I guess I'll check it out as well.

That is loving amazing :pwn:

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that was really cool, I'd never have thought a bass drum sound like that could have been coaxed from the monotron.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FLX posted:

Yeah, the guy who makes Werkbench uses the thing like a virtuoso. It's a really simple app on the surface, but once you start messing with it you find that you can do some pretty insane stuff with it. I use it more for sampling found sound stuff, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVw0N4V9M-Y

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chg4KtmciAw

But nowhere near as good.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 11, 2013

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
BeatMaker 2 is on sale for $4.99!

And Positive Grid has BIAS on sale for $14.99 and JamUp Pro XT on sale for $9.99. Both apps are excellent for guitarists.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I still haven't purchased nanostudio, but BeatMaker2 for $5 seems pretty good and I might go that route for when I actually have time.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

mia2000 posted:

BeatMaker 2 is on sale for $4.99!

And Positive Grid has BIAS on sale for $14.99 and JamUp Pro XT on sale for $9.99. Both apps are excellent for guitarists.

What's Bias like? It looks like it's pretty powerful from the writeup in the appstore. I've got JampUp Pro XT already but I just got the iRig Blueboard and use it more for effects than for the amp sims. Not sure how much use I'd get out of Bias, as good as it looks. I'd like to get BeatMaker as well, but 500+mb might not be a luxury I can afford on my practically full iPad.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Lemur is half off.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/12/20/lemur-app-on-sale-for-half-price/

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

I currently use iRig (the 1st model that plugs into the headphone jack) to record guitar, mostly using JamUp Pro into GarageBand (through Audiobus) into an iPhone 5C. After recording a few tracks, I begin to notice echoes (ghosting?) of previously recorded tracks showing up on newly recorded tracks. I'm assuming that it's an issue with the physical iRig interface connected to the headphone jack. Would I be better off moving to an interface that plugs directly into the lightning port? I've been eying the iRig PRO (http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpro/) mostly for the flexibility of plugging in a guitar or a mic. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

drat, ALL the Korg iOS apps are 50% off until Jan 1st :stonk:

e: iMS-20 and iElectribe you're finally mine :getin:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 20, 2013

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

drat, ALL the Korg iOS apps are 50% off until Jan 1st :stonk:

e: iMS-20 and iElectribe you're finally mine :getin:

Not even remotely tempted...because I bought them all long ago.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Dr. Klas posted:

Yes, but Apogee are not alone in using the 30-pin port anymore. Peavey has AmpKit LiNK HD, Line6 has Sonic port and IK has iRig Pro and iRig HD. So many choices! I'm leaning towards the iRig Pro since it's got guitar, mic (with phantom power as well!) and MIDI ports.

I ended up getting the iRig Pro and it works fine.

I also got Bias and first impressions are good, in fact really good. It sounds incredible and the tone shaping is not a gimmick - it really makes it possible to shape the tone and feeling of the amp to perfection. Only issues I have are that the output can vary a lot between amps and that some of the front panels hurt my eyes (especially the thumbnails of the amps are in some cases disgusting). These are just minor complaints of course. I'm surprised how easy it is to get good tones no matter what kind of amp you're trying to emulate. I'm very happy...

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Are there any guitar modeling apps that sound better than JamUP? I've tried garageband, amplitube, and ampkit, so far this one seems like the best. But its been a couple years since i've tested them.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

JamUp appears to be the leader of the pack from what I've seen out there.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
I only have the free version of JamUp so I can't really compare but from what I've read Bias sounds better than JamUp. It is anyway so much easier to change the sound to what you want to hear so there is large chance that you end up with an amp that you really like. It really is amazing.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Holy poo poo, why didn't I get the iElectribe earlier?

Actually, I know exactly why I didn't: I expected it to be something completely different, more like an Electribe MX or something, just a straight-up dance music machine with cheesy preset sounds and all.

I was glad to find out that wasn't the case at all (although I would've been fine with something like an MX). drat dem sounds and dem glitches :allears:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 21, 2013

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Holy poo poo, why didn't get the iElectribe earlier?

Actually, I know exactly why I didn't: I expected it to be something completely different, more like an Electribe MX or something, just a straight-up dance music machine with cheesy preset sounds and all.

I was glad to find out that wasn't the case at all (although I would've been fine with something like an MX). drat dem sounds and dem glitches :allears:

It's almost exactly like the Electribe ER-1 (mkII) hardware drum computer, which I actually bought after having so much fun with iElectribe. I think it's a really versatile instrument and it's cool that it lets you record knob movements into its sequencer!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

It's almost exactly like the Electribe ER-1 (mkII) hardware drum computer, which I actually bought after having so much fun with iElectribe. I think it's a really versatile instrument and it's cool that it lets you record knob movements into its sequencer!

The ER-1 doesn't have a flutter function though, does it? Because that is one fantastic feature.

It's a bummer the iElectribe doesn't have a song mode of its own, but I just discovered how I can get Genome to send MIDI clock and pattern change messages to the iElectribe. Evil ideas brewing :unsmigghh:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I thought it was gonna be like my EM-1. Alas not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FLX posted:

Yeah, the automation is the bit that really makes it shine imo.

• Locked thread