Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Days of Future Past manages to pull off the impossible and look as terrible as every previous X-Men film not called First Class.

I only hope it is as "terrible" as X2 was. X2 was awesome. The first one was good too, even if it hasn't aged so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I think the footage looks cool but it's a really oddly cut trailer. The sunshine theme is a pretty uninspired choice as well

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

joe football posted:

I think the footage looks cool but it's a really oddly cut trailer. The sunshine theme is a pretty uninspired choice as well

This.

I've heard bad things in general about Fox lately as far as A/V. That cut at 1:25 is embarrassing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I didn't really mind the footage, though I had a hard time understanding what the story was going to be (some sort of time travel shenanigans? Why can they even travel through time???). Worst though was the actual editing of the trailer. Like the poster above said, that cut around 1:25 is laughable

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 29, 2013

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Big mistake releasing an obviously unfinished two and a half minute trailer this early in the game. I believe they're still loving shooting, so they they probably don't have anything in the way of finished VFX shots. For me, that's why the trailer looks so lame. It's just a bunch of floating heads and people jumping around. No sentinels, no flashy powers, etc. Fox needs to learn a thing or two from Sony marketing how to put together a good slow boil to get people excited about a film (see: District 9).

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Ya, that looks terrible, yikes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
New (awesome) trailer for The Wolf of Wall Street:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pabEtIERlic

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Febreeze posted:

Trailers seem to like aping Danny Boyle soundtracks. "In a house, In a heartbeat" from 28 Days later got a lot of use in trailers and somehow the Sunshine song is still getting used.

It was funny and embarrassing when Kick-rear end used both of those in the movie itself.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

kiimo posted:

This.

I've heard bad things in general about Fox lately as far as A/V. That cut at 1:25 is embarrassing.

If I had turned in a project with an edit like that to my editing professor, he'd have given me a big fat F. The fact that this came from the marketing department of a major studio is just so so bad.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

GonSmithe posted:

I don't know how to process this - I'm seeing Jonah Hill in a movie trailer and it's not filling me with rage. :psyduck:

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Supercar Gautier posted:

It was funny and embarrassing when Kick-rear end used both of those in the movie itself.

At least they were different variations and used well. The Xmen trailer was shockingly terrible. The ironic thing is that I'm sure you could edit a pretty sweet teaser out of what's there.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Just take my money Scorsese. Nothing was going to top that first trailer, but this still looks incredibly fun. I think it will complement American Hustler nicely.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GonSmithe posted:

ahhhh this looks so goddamned good

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Dan Didio posted:

I cannot stop laughing at the cut at 1:25.
I went "erugh" at that weird jump cut between two characters at 00:45 that is lazily masked with a sloppy flash fade.
I think given the dull reception of The Wolverine I suspect marketing heads at Fox wanted to get something out to reassure the fans. But it's so by the numbers in it's execution.

For a comparison of releasing a teaser while still shooting, check out The Avengers teaser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czc9cAAgT_k

While both have to edit around unfinished footage with a short amount of scenes, at least The Avengers tries to put in a narrative of sorts.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't know how to process this - I'm seeing Jonah Hill in a movie trailer and it's not filling me with rage. :psyduck:

It's kind of incredible how Jonah Hill has progressed from this rather annoying presence into an actor I actually like watching. His career choices ( or should I say opportunities? ) have been amazing as of late.

Edit: Second billing in a Martin Scorsese movie. Not bad for a kid who started out as a foul-mouthed brat in Superbad!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Arthe Xavier posted:

Second billing in a Martin Scorsese movie. Not bad for a kid who started out as a foul-mouthed brat in Superbad!

No one ever remembers I :h: Huckabees...

What happens in the meadow at dusk?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

GonSmithe posted:

So I see they finally made a sequel to Quiz Show!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zenintrude posted:

No one ever remembers I :h: Huckabees...

Or him as the guy who just really wants to buy a glittery platform shoe in 40 Year Old Virgin.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GonSmithe posted:

Much better than the first trailer, Black Skinhead or no.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Much better than the first trailer, Black Skinhead or no.

The first trailer was a perfect first trailer. It machine-gunned the senses, instilling that feeling of sheer excess that this movie aims to capture while giving you a slight but clear idea of what the movie is about.

This is a perfect follow-up trailer, flipping the ratio so you get more of a sense of story, but maintaining that sense of excess WITHOUT repeating a whole hell of a lot from the first trailer. (It would have been so easy to carry over the Black Skinhead motif, but instead they dig a little deeper.)

At no point after either trailer do you feel like you've seen the whole movie in two minutes.

That's pretty drat impressive to me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's well said.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

GonSmithe posted:

OK, THAT rules. Scorcese still killing it, I see.

---

I actually really liked the X-Men trailer. And I enjoyed the Sunshine music, it's the only redeeming thing from that terrible film and worked pretty well, I think.

It's amazing to me how much my interest in the franchise skyrockets when Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are involved. First Class was a fun (but flawed) movie, but Fassbender and MacAvoy just don't have the same presence as those two.

(X2 best X-Men movie)

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 30, 2013

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Second trailer for The LEGO Movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj4GeCk5SBk

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Alright, Lincoln flying away on his rocket chair got me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I can't wait to see Wolf of Wallstreet for Jonah Hill's teeth alone. Like seriously those are some hardcore teeth.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You know, if they'd have cut the breaks out of the first trailer it would have been perfect IMO. The frenetic energy was so strong in that trailer otherwise.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's Halloween, let's check out some good horror/ghost/spooky trailers!

Poltergeist! This is IMO an excellent one; the pacing, the escalation, the music, the lines. Almost perfect even by today's trailer editing standards. What's crazy in hindsight is that you see almost nothing in the trailer other than people's horrified reactions to things. You're even staring at a camera staring at things at one point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ytjaMfoF2M

Exorcist Extended Edition: This one's a little rough around the edges, but I love the buildup and the sustained explosion of panic in the last third, ending with that ungodly roar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyJqUDDjmaI

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 31, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I just saw a trailer for Ender's Game that was entirely comprised of shots from the end of the movie. How do these people still have jobs?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Because their job is to get butts into seats and whether they spoil the movie or not has no relevance to their job performance

C'mon, you know this already. People like us nerds on an internet movie forum who get upset about spoilers are in the minority.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 1, 2013

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

If it's the trailers I've seen (and I haven't seen the movie, so it may not) there's no way to tell those scenes are the end of the movie unless you've already read the book.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jedit posted:

I just saw a trailer for Ender's Game that was entirely comprised of shots from the end of the movie. How do these people still have jobs?

You know the big book reveal at the end has been done away with right? The audience knows what you're thinking about from the beginning.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kiimo posted:

You know the big book reveal at the end has been done away with right? The audience knows what you're thinking about from the beginning.

Having just gotten out of the movie I can say that no, they don't.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Having just gotten out of the movie I can say that no, they don't.

The movie was pretty mediocre, but I went in thinking that too and it turns out they left it in, which helped a little.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just saw the movie and you guys are right. I read an article a while back that said this wasn't going to be a reveal at the end but I guess they must have changed their minds late in the production, and thank God.

The movie has tons of pacing issues but that's a whole other story.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

kiimo posted:

The movie has tons of pacing issues but that's a whole other story.

Wish there was a thread for the movie (:effort:) but this is the biggest problem. Setting aside the script and direction issues (of which there are many) the fact that the move felt like a series of moments from the book rather than a cohesive, flowing story really ruined it and as a result the audience is forced to be told how good/intelligent/gifted Ender is rather than having it be shown and unfold organically.

Movie would have really benefited from split into two film with the first spanning Ender's acceptance into Battle School through his emotional and physical breakdown and the end of Battle School and then have the second movie pick up with Ender back on Earth, building the raft and being convinced by Valentine to go to Command School through to the end of the book.

Most if not all of the interesting ideas that the book wrestled with were lost or glossed over in the film.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

zenintrude posted:

Wish there was a thread for the movie (:effort:) but this is the biggest problem. Setting aside the script and direction issues (of which there are many) the fact that the move felt like a series of moments from the book rather than a cohesive, flowing story really ruined it and as a result the audience is forced to be told how good/intelligent/gifted Ender is rather than having it be shown and unfold organically.

Movie would have really benefited from split into two film with the first spanning Ender's acceptance into Battle School through his emotional and physical breakdown and the end of Battle School and then have the second movie pick up with Ender back on Earth, building the raft and being convinced by Valentine to go to Command School through to the end of the book.

Most if not all of the interesting ideas that the book wrestled with were lost or glossed over in the film.

Man this post is weirdly a copy of the exact conversation we had last night walking out of the theater. My roommate was lamenting that in the battle room scenes we are told how much of a genius he is without showing us the tactics that demonstrated it. Instead we're given some kind of cowboy Clint Eastwood battle moment with the duel guns which was actually really cool if it wasn't completely missing the point. We determined that this book was absolutely perfect for two movies, one in battle school and one in Command school.

Basically if this thing got the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows treatment it would have been perfect. Now there probably won't be another film and we're left with what we have which is like a Cliff Notes with a continuous drumline throughout the film.

Once you're away from a film and the effect that the VFX and the presentation and all the things a film has that clean it up and help you enjoy the experience wear off you remember the actual story. Ender's Game is unfortunately a movie that will be viewed as more and more mediocre as time goes by and that's sad since the story was so unique. Disappointing, because the look and feel and casting was great but I feel like I'm missing so much with this cut.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

kiimo posted:

Now there probably won't be another film

I highly doubt there would have been a sequel even if it was better since they clearly went with a pretty young audience in mind; Speaker for the Dead is dark (i.e. many ritual sacrifices) and weird and Xenocide is ~weirdweirdweird~ in its own special ways. I suppose they could have gone with the Shadow series, but that would have sort of been like abandoning Harry Potter after the first movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd love to see the Shadow series just because it has a legit antagonist in Achilles that was missing. It won't happen though. I'd also like to see a colossal CGI Bean.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Everyone's making movies about being stranded!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM78CUp451Q

Sunshine? That song is so overused. Let's go with something different like the 28 Days Later soundtrack!

(Movie premise looks like it could still be good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

Steve Yun posted:

Everyone's making movies about being stranded!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM78CUp451Q

Sunshine? That song is so overused. Let's go with something different like the 28 Days Later soundtrack!

(Movie premise looks like it could still be good)

Paul Walker. I hereby dub this movie The Fast and the Floodiest.

Also, when you said 28 days later I immediately assumed it would be this song, but apparently that's from 28 weeks later?

edit: it seems its in 28 everythings later

Chewbacca fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 6, 2013

• Locked thread