Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

couldcareless posted:

Why do I have a feeling his method of "freeing up space" was sort by last modified date and decided that a week old is safe enough to trash?

the best part its a virtual server attached to an array that has about 1tb unallocated space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
So the guy whose laptop got stolen? Turns out he left his briefcase in his car in plain view while parked at night in a crappy neighborhood. Of course it got stolen.

The replacement I worked so hard to get out to him immediately is the same model and hardware config. Today I get an email:

"Do I have to use this laptop? It's much slower than my old one. I'd like a new one with the same hardware as my old one."

:suicide:

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I have a question: What are these high powered sales and other super important people actually USING their laptops for? Office and maybe a db program that is probably at least a few years old?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Laptops generally perform like poo poo unless they have an SSD in them. An otherwise high spec machine can be brought to its knees with a 5400 RPM spinning disk.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is amazing how many laptops I see which have an I7 piles of RAM and a decent embedded Nvidia or Radeon graphics chip. Coupled with a cheap 5400 RPM. disk. People get these and complain about them being slow. Even springing a tiny bit more for a 7200 RPM disk will make a world of difference to these machines. Jumping to an SSD blows them away.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Dick Trauma posted:

So the guy whose laptop got stolen? Turns out he left his briefcase in his car in plain view while parked at night in a crappy neighborhood. Of course it got stolen.

The replacement I worked so hard to get out to him immediately is the same model and hardware config. Today I get an email:

"Do I have to use this laptop? It's much slower than my old one. I'd like a new one with the same hardware as my old one."

:suicide:

No. If you want the same hardware as your old one, you're going to have to FIND your old one. [say this, please please please]

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Varkk posted:

It is amazing how many laptops I see which have an I7 piles of RAM and a decent embedded Nvidia or Radeon graphics chip. Coupled with a cheap 5400 RPM. disk. People get these and complain about them being slow. Even springing a tiny bit more for a 7200 RPM disk will make a world of difference to these machines. Jumping to an SSD blows them away.

I love it more when they don't even have hybrid drives. It makes me smile.

Put a early gen C2D or Atholon X2 with an SSD/Hybrid "Wow you made it so fast!"

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Blue_monday posted:

I have a question: What are these high powered sales and other super important people actually USING their laptops for? Office and maybe a db program that is probably at least a few years old?

Where I'm at director and higher almost all just use outlook to email and have a calendar. Excel or visio or word will open sometimes to look at something someone else did. Their machines are the easiest to reimage or replace. They don't get anything high-powered normal people don't get though but they do have an option to get a small thinkpad x series where normal people don't if a 6 pound 14 incher is to heavy. (A bloobloo)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You should probably give him some dick trauma. Take that as you will.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

teethgrinder posted:

You should probably give him some dick trauma. Take that as you will.

Your profile picture is perfect for this post.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Blue_monday posted:

Yes. Either that or, sometimes, giving to their kids to play with.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Varkk posted:

Don't pretty much all schools run some kind of internet content filtering which would have blocked most of the results of that nature?

Content filters fight a losing battle. They're great for blocking people from accessing more popular sites, they're pretty crap for blocking incidental stuff.

Most content filtering software won't block google image search thumbnails, even though you can't click through on them.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Blue_monday posted:

For looking important; nothing says I have a big :dong: like an Apple Laptop

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Install Windows posted:

Content filters fight a losing battle. They're great for blocking people from accessing more popular sites, they're pretty crap for blocking incidental stuff.

Most content filtering software won't block google image search thumbnails, even though you can't click through on them.

We were able to wrangle our old webfilter into blocking google images, even the thumbnails. When we upgraded to a new filter, that didn't work as well, and if you search for something you'll get images if you click the image button, but you can't follow most of them.
At least it wasn't like Bing which did a image search for whatever you looked for, and slid it inline to the normal page. Which is how we ended up with a screen full of boobs on a webkiosk.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nzspambot posted:

For looking important; nothing says I have a big :dong: like an Apple Laptop

My work laptop is a 13" MBP... running Windows 7 only. :downs:

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Amusingly enough this is how most of my users feel and communicate what their desires are. And you know what? Just because you make minimum wage and "interface" with a computer that's tied to the network, doesn't mean that you get to just call the Network Manager because you got some pop-up on your web browser and he's the person who configures/maintains the place your files are kept.

Point taken, and doesn't affect me much because my current role is un-sticking these sorts of things. but if my server engineer thinks the port is wrong, and Networks thinks it is right, you can be drat sure I want those 2 people to be talking. The PM can be looped on it, but the people doing the work need to talk.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

BurgerQuest posted:

..and running it worse than most cheaper PCs too. drat Apple and their shoddy drivers.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Its 4AM local time, still at work. Nothing like being forced to rush an upgrade that had issues. We couldn't wait to do this on Sunday where we had all day, oh no, upper management said we'd have this going by Friday.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
A birthday came in! :toot:

Some of my coworkers even got me a card and gave it to me. Aww, how nice! They didn't have to do that!

But upon further examination, what's this?

Oh.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Walter_Sobchak posted:

A birthday came in! :toot:

Some of my coworkers even got me a card and gave it to me. Aww, how nice! They didn't have to do that!

But upon further examination, what's this?

Oh.

insert the change into his eye sockets.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Is it an American custom to include small change in greetings cards? That just seems... weird.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

rolleyes posted:

Is it an American custom to include small change in greetings cards? That just seems... weird.

Nah, I just turned 21, hence the 21 cents.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

rolleyes posted:

That's his salary :v:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Just because you're responsible for implementing our infrastructure doesn't mean you get to speak with an engineer... now away with you...

1 month passes

What do you mean the bridge goes nowhere!? why didn't you talk with an engineer!?

Don't I know this.

Me: "We are having backup problems. They occurred after an engineer did a clean install of 2k8 on a server to upgrade the backup software, then after upgrading, just copied over the folders with job settings."
Bosses: "You must troubleshoot this yourself and prove why the engineer who did this should have the ticket escalated to him."

Two weeks pass

Bosses: "WHY ARE WE HAVING BACKUP PROBLEMS"
Me: "I've been going through troubleshooting with HP to try to fix them and they're still working on it."
Bosses: "WHY DIDN'T YOU ESCALATE THIS TO ENGINEERING"

Escalation here only means the engineers sound off on the tickets and give ideas or solutions... we still have to do the schlepping, research, and fixing even when the ticket is in someone else's queue

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Don't you love being on the only team where you work that is actually held accountable for anything?

I'm in that boat currently, it's maddening.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Don't you love being on the only team where you work that is actually held accountable for anything?

I'm in that boat currently, it's maddening.

I've been telling people that the best way to describe it is in a Cold War context.

Our IT organization is like the Warsaw Pact before Andropov and Gorbachev. Engineering is the Soviet Union: they can do whatever they want and force us to do whatever they want us to do. The dirty work is farmed out. If we resist, we are crushed. We are not allowed a voice in our own matters, because their interests (unspoken or otherwise) trump ours. Nor are our voices considered in their hegemony.

Applications is Hungary: a bevy of their own culture and industriousness, partially independent but forced within the Soviet sway should they stray off course. Dependent on the Soviets for success in their interests but squirming out from under the boot.

Operations, Czechoslovakia: we have indigenous industry and are largely self-sufficient, but we fell under the domination of Engineering and can't seem to make it out. We have a limited degree of independence but everything we do is subject to USSR approval.

Our CIO and CTO would be the Politburo, I guess. I dare not think about what nation or entity that the Help Desk would represent... Yugoslavia, maybe?

Anyone who's far better versed in their Cold War history is more than welcome to correct me in this weird-rear end metaphor. I know I'm missing a lot of the nuances.

I know it's like this in most places, but hopefully as I YOTJ I can ask about how project management goes, does ops/sysadmins/SMEs get some kind of voice in projects as opposed to "Oh by the way, you know how you're supposed to be in the loop on our backup system upgrade? The guys are coming tomorrow, can you rack the servers?"

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

MJP posted:

I dare not think about what nation or entity that the Help Desk would represent...

The gulag?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

CitizenKain posted:

Its 4AM local time, still at work. Nothing like being forced to rush an upgrade that had issues. We couldn't wait to do this on Sunday where we had all day, oh no, upper management said we'd have this going by Friday.

Turns out everything was on fire and terrible. Actually, if things were literally on fire it would have been an improvement.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Congress of People's Deputies: existing solely to keep the masses in comfortable illusion of having rights while parroting the party line?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A ticket came in...

Subject; violence of mouse
Body; second request. Come help me or the mouse gets it.

:ohdear:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A ticket came in...

Subject; violence of mouse
Body; second request. Come help me or the mouse gets it.

:ohdear:
WE DO NOT NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

nexxai posted:

WE DO NOT NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS

You'll change your tune once you get a usb plug wrapped in kleenex sent to your desk.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Don't worry, IT will save the day!

:twentyfour:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CHLOE OPEN THE SOCKET!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

DO THE NEEDFUL, CHLOE!

Fixed.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

BurgerQuest posted:

Out of 30+ 13" macbook pros that the oval office before me brought 95% are running Windows

My 15" is running Windows 8.1 :flaccid:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

BurgerQuest posted:

I have a MBP 17" that I swear I've tried to use OSX. I swear. I've installed Steam on it and tried to play games. I've browsed the internet and checked email with Outlook for Max (oh god that). I've edited photos with Photoshop Elements. For chrissakes I even turned it into a DAW and installed a trial copy of Steinberg's Cubase and recorded music on it.

But gently caress it if Windows 7 on MBP hardware works so much better.

I'm sorry Apple. I wanted to Think Different. I really did.

edit for content to get off the MBP thing here:

A ticket came in for a SQL Server VM. Part of the requirements were for shared storage on a NAS for misc images and other files that shouldn't go on a SQL Server (we only back up databases on SQL Servers. There is no file-level backup done per policy.)

The business user is screaming that we need the NAS "mounted to the server so it can be accessed by everyone" by using a mapped drive. This would involve a bunch of different teams to accomplish (Windows Ops, Active Directory Ops, Storage Ops, etc) and is out of the purview of my team ("We just stand up servers, ma'am") so I respond with "Can't you just use the UNC of the share name in whatever process you are using?"

"No! We need MAPPED DRIVES! MAPPED DRIVES are what we need!"

Escalation incoming, folks. I see an email in my future. It contains CC's to a zillion managers and department heads pulled from our org chart. Good times...

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 30, 2013

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I opened a ticket yesterday ... for a windows 2000 server designated as a Web server by its naming convention. Reason? 4GB c drive full. Our current provisioning for C drives is 60GB in comparison.

So server ops looks like at the server, and guess what they find?

I'll give you guys a few guesses as to what we found and separate guesses for what it runs. hint : one word & archaic things.

End result is a server with incorrect info in the CMDB and /or none. It's pointing to both the wrong individual and has no identification of what is actually running on it nor what it is actually associated with.

Bonus : all sorts of discussion asking what is on the server while not copying or even asking the webserver admins. I had to get him into the conversation loop because :downs:.

My summary to my webserver admin buddy when I copied him (it's not a clue) :

She uses the server to place "files"? is this a game of 21 questions?
exactly what is being used when she said placing "files"? so vague
This is like a special Olympics play by play :downsrim:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I opened a ticket yesterday ... for a windows 2000 server designated as a Web server by its naming convention. Reason? 4GB c drive full. Our current provisioning for C drives is 60GB in comparison.

So server ops looks like at the server, and guess what they find?

I'll give you guys a few guesses as to what we found and separate guesses for what it runs. hint : one word & archaic things.

End result is a server with incorrect info in the CMDB and /or none. It's pointing to both the wrong individual and has no identification of what is actually running on it nor what it is actually associated with.

Bonus : all sorts of discussion asking what is on the server while not copying or even asking the webserver admins. I had to get him into the conversation loop because :downs:.

My summary to my webserver admin buddy when I copied him (it's not a clue) :

She uses the server to place "files"? is this a game of 21 questions?
exactly what is being used when she said placing "files"? so vague
This is like a special Olympics play by play :downsrim:

Ohhh, what you found, based on the last paragraph...

:filez:? Or :fh::filez:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
My coworker got a call from someone who's leaving in two days and wants to delete their personal e-mails from the archive. He was diplomatic in telling her we can't do that instead of laughing in her face, but she still hung up on him because he gave her bad service. He didn't even tell her that since we're a government, her work e-mail is a matter of public record.

• Locked thread