Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"You want me to bet TEN dollars?! I'm not made of money y'know!"
"The laws of physics might be out the window but we still have inflation."
"Oh right, fine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Maltose posted:

And of course it's Jivjov.

I think Incredible Hulk gets overlooked because it's a whiplash remake of a far better film to adhere to the throbbing marketing entity that is the MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE. Which is a shame because Tim Roth at the campus should have been the go to for how Cap did poo poo in his own movie.

How was Incredible Hulk a remake? It's been a while since I've seen Ang Lee's Hulk, but I seem to recall it being VERY different in plot and execution.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr. Maltose posted:

And of course it's Jivjov.

I think Incredible Hulk gets overlooked because it's a whiplash remake of a far better film to adhere to the throbbing marketing entity that is the MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE. Which is a shame because Tim Roth at the campus should have been the go to for how Cap did poo poo in his own movie.

It's also got tone issues, since Ed Norton was like "let's make this a proper movie" and the studio was like "no dude we're doing this cross-brand experiment thing, so we have to make this kid-friendly" and then they cut out a bunch of the darker scenes.

Also Hulk looked like hot garbage in that movie, with that swampy, wrinkly skin and weird muscle structure inappropriately based on Bruce Lee's. I get that they were desperately trying to avoid the complaint everyone had about Ang Lee's Hulk where it was crystal clear that Hulk was CGI at all times, but at least Ang Lee's Hulk didn't make me want to barf when I looked directly at him.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

jivjov posted:

How was Incredible Hulk a remake? It's been a while since I've seen Ang Lee's Hulk, but I seem to recall it being VERY different in plot and execution.

If it wasn't for the opening credits flashback, it could have been a direct sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Norton is rather known for that though...he gets paid to be an actor and he shows up wanting to direct too.

glitchwraith posted:

If it wasn't for the opening credits flashback, it could have been a direct sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk.

Sequel and remake are not the same thing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Different and superior. Incredible Hulk starts at the end point of Lee's Hulk (Banner in South America, trying to live a life of quiet mediocrity), but takes two minutes at the beginning to reassure the audience that it's okay, nothing brought up by that movie made only five years ago will be brought up. It's explosions and quips, just like everything else Marvel!

Ironically, it was going to be a sequel before Edward Norton decided that in addition to starring he should rewrite the script and do some editing too. Y'know, because he was around anyway.

jivjov posted:

No poo poo?

It was a sequel until Norton changed the script and it was flat out called a remake by Louis Leterrier.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 30, 2013

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
This is like... the third time I have written a post and decided against it. I'm incredibly neurotic these days. However, in the spirit of Phase 1 chat, I have a confession to make.

I just spent the last three days watching a chronological fan-cut of everything leading up to the Avengers and it was awesome.

Uneven? Yeah. Silly? For sure. Enjoyable? Holy crap.I read comics so fast anymore that sometimes I feel like I never stop to give them the time they deserve. This, stupid as it is, felt like watching an omnibus unfold in front of my eyes.

My biggest, non-technical complaint about all of the MCU flicks was always that they weren't individual enough and that the shared universe hampered their potential. Yeah, pretty pedestrian wankery, I admit it. I was the guy who wanted the four-hour, two-part, Saving Private Rogers. In my heart of heart, I was convinced Thor should be a decades-spanning journey of love and loss.

Thank god that I have no influence. I laughed so much during Thor. I had forgotten how funny it was.

I'm going to force myself to stop writing or I will keep digging myself a bigger hole.

So, last thing: Chris Hemsworth deserves more lines like this.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

jivjov posted:

Norton is rather known for that though...he gets paid to be an actor and he shows up wanting to direct too.

This is correct. I was agreeing with you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

glitchwraith posted:

This is correct. I was agreeing with you.

Ah okay, sorry about that then! :)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hemsworth and Evans understand that for their characters to work, they need to commit fully. RDJ, SLJ, even Scarlett can wink at the camera, roll their eyes a little and it fits, Thor and Cap need to be totally earnest. Not stick-in-the-muds, they can be funny, but the fish-out-of-water humour needs to be played sincere, and the honourable nature can't be tongue-in-cheek. In some ways, they're the hardest roles, because you've got to play the pure hero without seeming like a parody.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just back from Thor. Have to say, I really enjoyed it... It's really up there with the best of the Marvel studio films.

Great acting, really good action sequences, pretty great score, sharp script with plenty of funny moments, and pretty tight overall.

If I had some criticisms, I'd say that some characters get a bit lost. Poor Dr. Selvig is essentially written out of the film until he's needed for the climax, and Malekith is a fairly one-dimensional villain.

I do like how Jane gets tied to the story though, it doesn't quite make her a damsel in distress, and she (and the other Midgardians) do get to show their usefulness.

Definitely lots to like about it, though.

e: Oh and the Chris Evans cameo was just brilliant

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 31, 2013

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Didn't see this posted but it's confirmed about who is Quicksilver in the Avengers:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/180039-its-official-aaron-taylor-johnson-assembles-for-avengers-age-of-ultron

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Dude looks totally different without the goony hair he has in Kick rear end.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They can't call him Quicksilver in the Avengers movie either, right? I think I've read that before.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

They can't call him Quicksilver in the Avengers movie either, right? I think I've read that before.

Quick-rear end

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Metal Loaf posted:

They can, but they cannot say he is a mutant. I'm still thinking they will just turn mutants into inhumans for the movie universe.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Metal Loaf posted:

They can. They can't use the word "mutant" or refer to him and Wanda being Magneto's children.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not sure how they can say he's "officially" cast seeing as Marvel has no comment.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
I'm gonna be that guy and mention that The Incredible Hulk was a reboot--neither a sequel nor a remake.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

jivjov posted:

But sometimes that leads to great things when the actor takes over, I mean look at Clint and The Outlaw Josey Wales

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

They can, but they cannot say he is a mutant. I'm still thinking they will just turn mutants into inhumans for the movie universe.

I feel like Marvel's recent push with the Inhumans is how they're going to explain folks being born with powers in the Avengers-verse.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

E the Shaggy posted:

I feel like Marvel's recent push with the Inhumans is how they're going to explain folks being born with powers in the Avengers-verse.

Pretty much everything Marvel does recently I cannot help but thing "How is THIS going to appear in the films". I don't really mind it because it involves promoting Carol Danvers more.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

twistedmentat posted:

Pretty much everything Marvel does recently I cannot help but thing "How is THIS going to appear in the films". I don't really mind it because it involves promoting Carol Danvers more.

Yes, but... Katee Sackhoff? Really?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yes, but... Katee Sackhoff? Really?

I really hope not. I get that Sackhoff's the nerd-approved blonde woman, But I don't think she's a very good actor, and she really doesn't have the screen presence to work in an Avengers movie.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

twistedmentat posted:

If Agents of SHIELD is anything to go by, they'll just say "well he has super-speed but we don't know how!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

boom boom boom posted:

I really hope not. I get that Sackhoff's the nerd-approved blonde woman, But I don't think she's a very good actor, and she really doesn't have the screen presence to work in an Avengers movie.

Yea, I liked her in BSG, but she's not nearly good enough of an actor to stand alongside the Avengers cast. Honestly, I cannot think of someone who I'd like to see play Danvers, and not just becuause she is my favorite female hero, and my 3rd favorite Marvel character after Iron Man and Cap. I think the animated Earth's Mightiest Heroes may have spoiled me because she was done perfectly. Though I always thought she and Femshep were similar, hard bitten veterns who while super tought also had a sense of humor. I'm not too much of a fan of her in Marvel Heroes because she essentially sounds like Buffy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Katee Sackhoff isn't my primary choice by any means (Katheryn Winnick Katheryn Winnick Katheryn Winnick), but Marvel are currently in the business of hiring TV actors to fill their big roles, so I definitely think it's possible.

For what it's worth I liked her in Riddick a lot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was on this other forum where this one dude deperately wants Sarah Michelle Gellar to play Carol Danvers, I guess because of the whole Whedon connection. I'm not sure if it'd work.

Personally, I'd be pretty keen if it was the Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel and they were played by Gina Torres. :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just hope whoever they pick actually puts on a little muscle mass so we don't end up in a situation like that Wonder Woman pilot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I couldn't see Gellar as Captain Marvel at all.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I couldn't see Gellar as Captain Marvel at all.
That would be awful, and I love SMG.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They need someone who's cheap, sexy, reasonably actiony and punchy, and can hold her own as part of an ensemble cast with Robert Downey Jr, Samuel L. Jackson, and Paul Rudd.

Can Michele Rodriguez pull off blonde hair?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Katee Sackhoff isn't my primary choice by any means (Katheryn Winnick Katheryn Winnick Katheryn Winnick), but Marvel are currently in the business of hiring TV actors to fill their big roles, so I definitely think it's possible.

Say what? Directors, yes but as far as lead actors go Marvel hasn't been pulling from a pool of TV actors at all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DangerKat posted:

Say what? Directors, yes but as far as lead actors go Marvel hasn't been pulling from a pool of TV actors at all.

Then what do you call Guardians of the Galaxy? And, like, Ultron?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hakkesshu posted:

Then what do you call Guardians of the Galaxy? And, like, Ultron?

You really call James Spader a TV actor?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean, that's what he's been doing for the last 10 years, so yes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean, that's what he's been doing for the last 10 years, so yes.

He has also been in movies, and that is what he is known for.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You could argue "TV!" "Movies!" back and forth, especially since the lines are either irrelevant for actors these days or simply blurred, but while Pratt is obviously well-liked as Andy I'm thinking that wouldn't have been enough and it was his turn in Zero Dark Thirty that allowed him to get the GotG role.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lobok posted:

You could argue "TV!" "Movies!" back and forth, especially since the lines are either irrelevant for actors these days or simply blurred, but while Pratt is obviously well-liked as Andy I'm thinking that wouldn't have been enough and it was his turn in Zero Dark Thirty that allowed him to get the GotG role.

Also Moneyball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

You really call James Spader a TV actor?
I want to visit this alternate universe where Tuff Turf: The Animated Series exists.

• Locked thread