Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

quote:

The “Wii U” hardware still has a negative impact on Nintendo’s profits, owning mainly to its markdown in the
United States and Europe

Edmund Honda posted:

That kinda limits the chances of another pricecut.

Well by nature of a price cut on a product that is sold at a loss already, they WILL lose money as the WIi U sells more consoles. I don't think that means another price cut is not possible, it's just telling investors these things are sold at a loss.

These numbers already had 10 days of the Wind Waker bundle in there, and we know the NDP numbers and they weren't exactly fabulous either...

Crowbear posted:

That tiny net profit was, once again, due to foreign exchange gains. The operating income is the important number to look at, and that's still in the red.

Now how do I do this with my own money to make my bank account larger....

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Astro7x posted:

Forex trading is a thing, and also usually a terrible, terrible idea when it comes to actually investing.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Astro7x posted:

Your bank account wouldn't actually get any bigger. Nintendo has a lot of money in foreign currency, so when the Yen gets weaker that money is suddenly worth more in Yen. Abenomics has been very kind to their balance sheet.

e: They actually straight up acknowledge it in the report.

quote:

The operating loss was 23.2 billion yen as total selling, general and administrative expenses exceeded gross profit due to enhancements in advertising activities to increase sales, and research and development for the “Wii U” software among others. As a result of exchange gains totaling 18.3 billion yen due to depreciation of the yen at the end of this period compared with the one at the end of the last fiscal year, ordinary income was 1.2 billion yen and net income was 0.6 billion yen.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 30, 2013

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Crowbear posted:

Also, more colorful charts showing Wii U and 3DS sales vs other Nintendo consoles: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88046425&postcount=513

Yup.

Media Create for last week in Japan posted:

Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)
  1. 3DS LL – 69,001 (94,988)
  2. 3DS – 40,507 (59,590)
  3. PlayStation Vita – 24,513 (25,763)
  4. PlayStation 3 – 11,460 (11,643)
  5. PSP – 3,807 (3,651)
  6. Wii U – 2,598 (2,999)
No Wii U games in the top 20 again.

More positively: there's a couple bundles coming out in Japan: ~$330 for 32gb console plus remote, SMBU and Wii Party U or $350 for the same plus Wii Fit U.

It doesn't come with the (required) balance board, so they're expecting people to upgrade for it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Edmund Honda posted:

It doesn't come with the (required) balance board, so they're expecting people to upgrade for it.

Wii Fit U is tricky because there's multiple components to it (console, balance board, software, optional fit meter), and they have to design bundles in each region around which components most people will or won't already own. For someone who bought the previous console/software and still has the board that came with it, this bundle makes sense.

Speaking of Wii Fit U, they've been advertising the game in Japan, but I haven't seen a peep in NA. That seems not sane.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I'm curious as to what the 2DS sales have been. Has it not launched in Japan?

Also, isn't the WiiU the first console Nintendo's sold at a loss? I get the feeling their takeaway will be to not do that again, which everybody saying the hardware needs to compete with Sony and MS's won't get what they want.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm curious as to what the 2DS sales have been. Has it not launched in Japan?

Also, isn't the WiiU the first console Nintendo's sold at a loss? I get the feeling their takeaway will be to not do that again, which everybody saying the hardware needs to compete with Sony and MS's won't get what they want.

The 2DS isn't out in Japan and as far as I know isn't planned to release there as of now. We'll get the first indication of how it's done in next month's NPD.

The Wii U is definitely the first console they've sold for a loss out of the gate, but the they sold the 3DS at a loss after that first big price cut and they may or may not have sold the Gamecube at a loss after they cut the price of that down to $99, but I've read conflicting reports on that one.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
What's wrong with this picture?

(Hint: Look what the 2DS is lumped in with)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Almost Smart posted:

They'll make mad bank in the short term, at least until people realize how awful these games without physical buttons.

iOS 7 has physical controller support, such as the one below from MOGA. Nintendo could further their obsession with accessories by selling their own controllers and other gimmick attachments. I'm not saying this is Nintendo's future, but I disagree with the assumption that smartphone games are terrible or that the platform can't work for conventional games.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
An accessory is surely the way to make Nintendo profitable once again!

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Also, isn't the WiiU the first console Nintendo's sold at a loss?

No. The GameCube was sold at a loss for some time when they cut the price early to try to turn the system around, and the 3DS' price cut also put that into territory where they were selling hardware at a loss.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Toady posted:

iOS 7 has physical controller support, such as the one below from MOGA. Nintendo could further their obsession with accessories by selling their own controllers and other gimmick attachments. I'm not saying this is Nintendo's future, but I disagree with the assumption that smartphone games are terrible or that the platform can't work for conventional games.

But will they still be able to charge thirty to forty dollars for a single game? One title, no micro-transactions or IAP business.

Like if they were forced, at a metaphorical gunpoint to put games both old and newly developed ones on hardware that wasn't their own, they'd still want to charge that much.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Selling on smartphones is a solution to the problem Nintendo doesn't have. They don't seem to be in any danger in the portable market.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Astro7x posted:

I'd be inclined to buy an iOS controller from them, but their hardware design game has been so off lately that if they tried to release one, it would have a low-res resistive touch screen jammed into it and it'd cost $50 more than an iPad Air. Then they'd release a hardware revision two years on that would put an emergency power-down button where the start button used to be.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Supercar Gautier posted:

Selling on smartphones is a solution to the problem Nintendo doesn't have. They don't seem to be in any danger in the portable market.

Selling on the PS4 is the solution to the problem they do have, but for some reason it is better for them to lose money with a bad system that will never be successful.

hmm, good point
VVVVV

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 30, 2013

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

abagofcheetos posted:

Selling on the PS4 is the solution to the problem they do have, but for some reason it is better for them to lose money with a bad system that will never be successful.

I don't think Sony would allow them to sell console games on the PS4 and maintain their own brand of handhelds.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Boiled Water posted:

I don't think Sony would allow them to sell console games on the PS4 and maintain their own brand of handhelds.

Valve would...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Boiled Water posted:

The way the Vita's going it's not like they have a lot to lose.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

Microsoft still let Rare develop titles for (and often exclusively for) the Game Boy Advance and DS, so I don't think Sony or Microsoft would turn away Nintendo just because they have one other system they're making games for. Although the portable division does much better than the consoles, a lot of the Wii U customers would probably move over to the other two systems if Nintendo started making games for them.

I know it's silly to speculate Nintendo going third party, but if they're actually selling negative consoles in Europe because they're getting more returns than sales, and two new consoles are just round the corner, then I don't know how else they could continue in the console market. They've probably blown their chance to have another genius marketing campaign like the original Wii, so unless they manage to claw their way to profitability through their usual million-seller releases like Mario Kart, then they're either going to have to jump ship or go down with it.

E: The Vita never did well as a handheld, but the Vita TV had a surprisingly positive reaction. You're right that letting Nintendo dominate the handheld market would still be bad for Sony, though.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Jeffrey posted:

Valve would...

Would it be that easy to just get their development teams to switch over and make PC games instead of console games then?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Would it be that easy to just get their development teams to switch over and make PC games instead of console games then?

Is there a high-end PC game market in Japan? Because they aren't going to move to a platform that doesn't have a strong Japanese presence, thus the PS4 is sort of their only option.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

abagofcheetos posted:

Is there a high-end PC game market in Japan?

Not at all.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

abagofcheetos posted:

Is there a high-end PC game market in Japan? Because they aren't going to move to a platform that doesn't have a strong Japanese presence, thus the PS4 is sort of their only option.

Where I'm coming from is more, do the development teams even know how to develop on hardware that isn't proprietary Nintendo stuff? We've seen them have trouble just getting used to making HD games on their own console in the past year or two. Nobody is going to deny they hosed up in that regard. Are consoles, PCs and mobile devices similar enough that they could get the development teams to work on stuff fast with no foreseeable problems?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Depends. Xbox One and PS4 have the same general architecture specifically because it'll make porting and development easier, and Microsoft is (in somewhat an odd manner, but still) trying to have the same Windows architecture across both its phones and PCs. So whilst you would require the most powerful in existence - or maybe something beyond what actually exists right now - yes in theory you could play the latest Battlefield or whatever on your phone.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Astro Nut posted:

Depends. Xbox One and PS4 have the same general architecture specifically because it'll make porting and development easier, and Microsoft is (in somewhat an odd manner, but still) trying to have the same Windows architecture across both its phones and PCs. So whilst you would require the most powerful in existence - or maybe something beyond what actually exists right now - yes in theory you could play the latest Battlefield or whatever on your phone.

No, you absolutely couldn't. It's not even the same architecture, there is no ARM version of Battlefield. The differences in graphics cards capabilities are staggering as well.

But Nintendo's development teams could certainly adapt to other platforms, it's not like the programmers they employ don't know about other platforms or haven't worked with other systems.

netBuff fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 30, 2013

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

netBuff posted:

No, you absolutely couldn't. It's not even the same architecture, there is no ARM version of Battlefield. The differences in graphics cards capabilities are staggering as well.

But Nintendo's development teams could certainly adapt to other platforms, it's not like the programmers they employ don't know about other platforms or haven't worked with other systems.

I was just trying to cite a multi-platform game that I knew of to be coming up, and drew a theoretical conclusion based on Microsoft's insistence to try and link both their PC and phone operating systems. Not trying to say you could actually go out and do it right now. Apologies for any confusion, and ignorance on my part.

Though back on the issue of whether Nintendo employees could do multi-platform, for a while it would probably be a safer bet for them to fund things through second and third party developers who have more active experience with the process, but are familiar to Nintendo. Sega and Platinum come to mind.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Astro7x posted:

Yes, that is what my post said, that Nintendo should make an accessory to become profitable.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

But will they still be able to charge thirty to forty dollars for a single game? One title, no micro-transactions or IAP business.

Like if they were forced, at a metaphorical gunpoint to put games both old and newly developed ones on hardware that wasn't their own, they'd still want to charge that much.

There's no evidence that this is in their future plans, but if any company was to set a precedent for very popular, high-priced AAA games that stomp on the preconceived notion people have here that mobile games must be one-dollar pieces of crap, it would be Nintendo.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

They'll probably gently caress it up by releasing whatever is their worst of the big franchise games at a super high price. Like square enix did.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Boiled Water posted:

They'll probably gently caress it up by releasing whatever is their worst of the big franchise games at a super high price. Like square enix did.

Metroid Other M 2: The Legend of Ridley's Gold.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Boiled Water posted:

Hmm. What if Sony let Nintendo sell console games on the PS4 in return for Nintendo letting Sony sell games on the 3DS? Perhaps that would solve both the Vita problem and the WiiU problem.

(purely hypothetical, of course.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

Hmm. What if Sony let Nintendo sell console games on the PS4 in return for Nintendo letting Sony sell games on the 3DS? Perhaps that would solve both the Vita problem and the WiiU problem.

Sony doesn't have any reason to do that. The Vita is part of a larger overall plan Sony has which is why they're pushing it extra hard with the PS4 coming along. They don't just want to sell games. They want to do cross-platform interaction and use it as a sell point for both systems. Neither company just wants to sell games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 31, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I don't think Nintendo has a full speed portable SNES or GBA emulator. Next generation though they'll do it easy.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blind Sally posted:

There's no way Nintendo wouldn't gladly let Sony release 3DS games with no strings attached. Its Sony that doesn't want to do that. The reason the opposite is not true is because Sony seems to be making Vita crossplay (or whatever its called) mandatory and there's no way Nintendo wants Mario, Pokemon, etc. on any portable system but their own.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

3DS is continually down YoY and Nintendo sold fewer handhelds last quarter than they have since 2005.

edit - actually if you include GBA in the 2005 Q2 results it's probably way ahead of 2013Q2.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 31, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

AdmiralViscen posted:

3DS is continually down YoY and Nintendo sold fewer handhelds last quarter than they have since 2005.

edit - actually if you include GBA in the 2005 Q2 results it's probably way ahead of 2013Q2.

Do you have a source for that? All of the graphs I can find disagree with you but they also seem to cut off prior to September.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

First post of the GAF thread posted earlier has a ton of data for Wii,Wii U, 3DS, and DS. No GBA though.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=706561&page=1

I should have said "worst Q2" not "worst quarter."

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

AdmiralViscen posted:

First post of the GAF thread posted earlier has a ton of data for Wii,Wii U, 3DS, and DS. No GBA though.

That's units shipped, not sold, although that can be a decent indicator of sales.

I am curious to see what happens this holiday season with it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

AdmiralViscen posted:

You cannot deny that they have a pretty big market share though.

It's crazy to think that Nintendo is selling 50% of all consoles sold, yet losing money... I know that's only a small piece of the puzzle here, but it's just so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The 3DS is definitely in a good place right now but market share isn't a particularly good metric when the competition is a DoA console, a DoA handheld, and 2 absolutely ancient consoles that have been on the decline for a while now.

• Locked thread