Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

still no 2k video support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Instant Grat posted:

hey echinopsis, weren't you doing some datamoshing (lol) or something like that at one point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X4fYP9bqqw

relevant

hh thanks yeah i was loving around with the idea and failing

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
looks like premiere is winning the NLE war here at work. I wanted avid but I'm starting to feel a lot better about premier espescially thanks to pagancow going on about it. even if it's really bad i'll at least feel better

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

pagancow posted:

iPad Air:

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

the fastest runner at the special olympics

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

looks like premiere is winning the NLE war here at work. I wanted avid but I'm starting to feel a lot better about premier espescially thanks to pagancow going on about it. even if it's really bad i'll at least feel better

premiere lets you go home at 5, thats why i like it

if you want to be cool get a mac with final cut pro so people stuck in last decade can think you're rockin with the best.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

final cut poor

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

finaru cuto fooooooooooo

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

apple final cut the pro software development

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

guys i just made the final cut...on final cut.

now someone gets to use a real editor to online that poo poo and get it out the door

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

^^^ this is why creative editors dont make over 100K anymore

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

if you have to ask the question "Is final cut X ready for prime time?" then it isn't

nobody asks if Premiere Pro or Media Composer are ready for prime time.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

pagancow posted:

if you have to ask the question "Is final cut X ready for prime time?" then it isn't

nobody asks if Premiere Pro or Media Composer are ready for prime time.

no one was asking this

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

loooooooooool
http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/performance/

what does this even mean???????

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

its 4x faster than the baseline.

Who cares how many fps that was!!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/video/#assembly

your video editor is a piece of poo poo

lol audio is desynched from video

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

git clone trooper posted:

no one was asking this

we're revisiting final cut pro x for the second time just to 'keep an open mind'

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pagancow posted:

loooooooooool
http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/performance/

what does this even mean???????

all cuda enabled programs run like poo poo compared to final cut x*

*on a mac pro using an ati video card

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i guess if you've been using the same software for over a decade (and it's treated you pretty well) i can understand why you'd be terrified of changing. like i've only been using fcp7 since it was already lovely and old so i dont really get why anyone at all likes it

it's especially hard if you're an old and moving from linear edit bays to NLEs was like, insanely hard and a huge investment and you think moving to another NLE will be similarly difficult

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

plug up 6 speakers and tell it to blast out in 5.1, you'll get more RMS power this way usually.

lol if u dont have active speakers with discrete amps tuned for each driver

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

lol if u dont have active speakers with discrete amps tuned for each driver

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

my speakers weigh 70lb a piece, I don't think anybody is accidently knocking those over.

wat speakers you got

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mine are over 60 kilos each, not sure what that is in yuor ancient lovely measurements but it's a lot

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

spankmeister posted:

mine are over 60 kilos each, not sure what that is in yuor ancient lovely measurements but it's a lot

your speakers are almost as heavy as me

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

your speakers are almost as heavy as me

yeah it's loving ridiculous really i'm moving soon and i'm dreading having to move the bastards

luckily the apt i'm moving to has a lift

they sound real nice though

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

spankmeister posted:

yeah it's loving ridiculous really i'm moving soon and i'm dreading having to move the bastards

luckily the apt i'm moving to has a lift

they sound real nice though

how many kilograms worth of speakers do you have

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

how many kilograms worth of speakers do you have

in total id say 165ish

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
last month there apparently was some leak of a triple-layer 100GB blu-ray disk that is going to get used for 4k material. so far all the blu-ray rips i've made have been under 25 gigs for the movie itself, so if there is 4x the capacity on the disk and if hevc really is two times as efficient as h.264, they might be able to pull off putting 4k movies in good quality on shiny plastic discs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
triple layer and quad layer blu rays have been part of the spec since the original blu ray release

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Install Windows posted:

triple layer and quad layer blu rays have been part of the spec since the original blu ray release

yes, but apparently there was some "leak" that happened last month about some new sort of blu-ray that has 33 gigs per layer, so a triple-layer disc would have 100GB

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wheany posted:

yes, but apparently there was some "leak" that happened last month about some new sort of blu-ray that has 33 gigs per layer, so a triple-layer disc would have 100GB

heres an article about triple layer 100 gb media being sold from 2010 http://www.geek.com/chips/sharp-to-ship-triple-layer-100gb-blu-ray-disc-1270872/

its called bd-xl and was approved in april 2010

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

cisco is putting out an open source version of h264 for all the other browsers so we dont have to give a gently caress anymore

maybe everyone can finally uninstall flash after that's put out

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 30, 2013

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Share Bear posted:

cisco is putting out an open source version of h264 for all the other browsers so we dont have to give a gently caress anymore

maybe everyone can finally uninstall flash after that's put out

ahahaha and it's under the bsd license suck it fsf

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

RZApublican posted:

it's under the bsd license because it's just a shim over binary modules, so that cisco can assume all the patent liability

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

RZApublican posted:

it's still not free enough since everyone is assuming that the mpeg-la will just wait for long enough to sue everyone

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's under the bsd license because it's just a shim over binary modules, so that cisco can assume all the patent liability

p sweet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Share Bear posted:

it's still not free enough since everyone is assuming that the mpeg-la will just wait for long enough to sue everyone

it gives browser distributors an "out" on the lawsuit thing

content creators are still up poo poo's creek

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

idk we kind of need an unencumbered codec for web

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
oh hi daala

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Share Bear posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

the meere act of putting audio and video inside a single file is patented so good luck doing anything with video in the US

• Locked thread