Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

Faltese Malkin posted:

I've been avoiding the stream till I pick up the album in person, but what would you say about the new album to a Protest the Hero fan that:

- Didn't like Kezia at all expect for a song or two

- Really enjoyed the first half Fortress, but thought the second half (except for 'Spoils') was 'eh'

- Loved Scurrilous

I only liked a few songs from Kezia.
I thought the second half of Fortress was 10x better than the first.
If you loves Scurrilous you'll love this.

"Animal Bones" gives a real flashback to the lyrics of Fortress

nihil morari fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah, so far it feels "like Scurrilous but better" for me. I think maybe because my expectations after Fortress were sky high? (I love that album), and this time I didn't really have any expectations. Goddamn, Clarity is such a great opening track. I need to revisit Scurrilous again though, I haven't heard it for ages.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Brand new The Acacia Strain track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPR61a_Jdek

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

This isn't anything crazy, but it's still pretty good.

Kinda cool that we're already getting two new songs from them only a year after their last album came out though.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Not a groundbreaking song by any means but I'm happy to hear that they're using more of the guitar tone that they use live nowadays. I'm sure these songs were written by the new guitarists so I think it's noteworthy just for that. The lyrics are not great but it is a little refreshing to hear Vincent use zombie like metaphors reminiscent to The Dead Walk days.

I'm almost a little disappointed to already have a song released since I know next month there will only be one other song to look forward to. I'm sure I will have played this to death by the time I get my preordered vinyl in the mail.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I haven't been following this thread too much but notice you guys have a real hard on for PWD,

Heres my favourite metalcore band from Australia at the moment, Totally Unicorn. Ridiculous live shows, remind me a lot of DEP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF_WvWzEQR4

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
Having not liked Wormwood at all... I have to say this new Acacia track is a breath of fresh air. Much more exciting than the snoozefest that Wormwood was.

e; Going to see DEP in November in Nottingham, shyeah! Although the support acts don't really turn me on.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

MMMCCLI posted:

Having not liked Wormwood at all... I have to say this new Acacia track is a breath of fresh air. Much more exciting than the snoozefest that Wormwood was.

e; Going to see DEP in November in Nottingham, shyeah! Although the support acts don't really turn me on.

What did you think of Death Is The Only Mortal?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I found Wormwood to be a little boring and hard to listen to for quite some time after its release. Somewhere along the line it just clicked and I loving loved it. I still prefer listening to it over DITOM at this point. It feels so much more concise and focused and heavy. DITOM is a bit more experimental, "ambitious" and interesting to listen to. Time and Death and God is one of the best and most epic tracks they've ever put out. The Mouth of the River, Doomblade and Dust and the Helix are all fantastic heavy, groovy, fast songs.

I really like TAS...

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
Honestly I forgot DITOM existed. Listened to it a few times and never loved it. I can't say that I'm perhaps a as big TAS fan as I thought I might be, Continent was amazing, loved every track on it. I guess for me nothing they have done since has lived up to that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Continent is my favorite as well. That album has such a...groove to it. It's amazing.

I liked DITOM better than Wormwood, but the production on DITOM is a little on the rough side. Things sound pretty muddy on it at times, to the point where it hinders my enjoyment of it a bit.

It was produced by one of the guitarists in the band I think, and it was his first time.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Got into TAS right after 3750 came out and they've been my favorite band since. Continent is my favorite, Wormwood was mostly meh (The Hills Have Eyes, Ramirez, Bay of Pigs and The Carpathian are my joints though), and I really enjoyed DITOM for its return to grooves, two step parts, breakdowns etc. That said, Above seems to continue the sludgy, plodding vibe some of the weaker DITOM songs had, but without any kind of payoff. Maybe Below will be better.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

TAS is without a doubt my favorite band. I'm surprised to see that Continent is so highly regarded by the people who've decided to chime in as it is absolutely my least favorite album of theirs (excluding And Life is Very Long which technically doesn't even exist). Dr Doom and JFC are staples of their live set and I hate it every time I hear Dr Doom and JFC is only good for the ending crowd chant pile-on aspect. Sometimes they do encores with Skynet which is also a poor choice. If they were going to play anything off of Continent it should be Seaward, which I've never heard them play ever, Cthulhu, or Balboa Towers. Continent also feels like the worst sounding record overall with Vincent's voice sounding off and the production just kind of muddy. The Dead Walk is more raw, WW and DITOM are heavier and ominous. TDW is my favorite album because it's when I really got into the band and all the songs are amazing (aside from Pity).

DITOM was produced by DL who was their only guitarist for a few years but never toured with the band he just wrote and recorded all the music. He's no longer in the band and the two touring guitarists are officially in. I think this was a smart, and fair, decision. I'm sad that I'll never get to see DL on stage with them anymore because he definitely added to the energy they had live but he's been at home with his kid for the past few years and it's time to move forward.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I'm actually blasting TDW now and uuaahhh oh god man. I hadn't played this enough recently. Lookit these fuckin chugs. Demolishor is murdering me. The heavy. I'm going to di-

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

the production on DITOM is a little on the rough side. Things sound pretty muddy on it at times, to the point where it hinders my enjoyment of it a bit.

You are the worst person in the world

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Wamsutta posted:

I'm actually blasting TDW now and uuaahhh oh god man. I hadn't played this enough recently. Lookit these fuckin chugs. Demolishor is murdering me. The heavy. I'm going to di-

Yeah lookit these...,,,, muscle,s man

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
That riff at 1:28 is awesome, it has tons of swagger and groove, which the band has been lacking since Continent. I'm sick of the slow parts where they're trying to do something atmospheric with a sorta death/doom feeling but only lovely slo-Meshuggah riffs. The cover of Continent basically depicts what happened to the band after they finished that album.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

krustster posted:

Yeah lookit these...,,,, muscle,s man

Found this thread searching for muscle

I dunno, I am probably just a dumb fat meathead but the new song's biggest failure to me is lack of chuggy breakdowns. That's what I got into TAS for and it's what I love the earlier albums for. Groove, bounce, and breakdowns. If they're going to become a lower-tuned sludge metal band they'll probably end up losing me. I miss the hardcore influences.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

DITOM was produced by DL who was their only guitarist for a few years but never toured with the band he just wrote and recorded all the music. He's no longer in the band and the two touring guitarists are officially in. I think this was a smart, and fair, decision. I'm sad that I'll never get to see DL on stage with them anymore because he definitely added to the energy they had live but he's been at home with his kid for the past few years and it's time to move forward.

It was just announced today that he has joined Legend.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

It was just announced today that he has joined Legend.

Which is kind of funny to me since he seemed to be a major force in pushing the Acacia Strain past their old chug chug chug boundaries into more complex poo poo, and has now joined the chuggingest feasible band.

That said, I'll listen to whatever he does with them, because I'm a DL enthusiast, and this 2011 tape "Pale Horse" by Legend sounds pretty sick so far.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'm going to imagine for a few minutes that DL is either leading the resurrection of the old epic heavy metal band Legend, or maybe adding breakdowns to the NWOBHM one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooiP240BWHU

Nope, he's joining a mediocre deathcore band to add his lovely Meshuggah-worshipping mallcore chugga-chugga poo poo because he wants to make brutal metal with guitar necks forged from whole tree trunks with a lotta strings he's going to forget are there while he chugs on a telephone wire that buzzes and farts and he won't know how to cut out the fart because he's not very good at producing.

I'm still bitter about TAS losing the groovy/bouncy breakdowns, all the swagger, and completely cutting out the "fun" aspect to their music. I miss the witty one-liners in the lyrics, now it's just the band being a lovely hardcore version of death/doom with some goofy looking dude with video game tattoos shouting about how he hates everyone, especially women.

Solution: Sent TAS back in time to listen to this, to remind them that they're not destined to be the primate version of Integrity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsQT9F_hbU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

So I guess every time a new Acacia Strain tape comes out we are going to have people going "man I miss when they were fun" and "man this new direction sucks" and then as weeks go by, many of those same people will go "this tape is actually really good" and the cycle will continue~~

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
Isn't that true of lots of bands? I've seen the same conversation about Trivium and BTBAM to name only a couple. Such is life. Music is so subjective that personal opinion is the only thing that counts, or doesn't. I don't know.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Personally I don't know how people above the age of 16 listen to the Acacia Strain in the first place. I think maybe posters are just growing out of the breakdowns all the time phase of their music taste.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

lmao at this cat coming in the metalcore thread and poo poo-talking breakdowns

c'mon son

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There is so much more to metalcore than breakdowns and I've been posting here for months.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

There is so much more to metalcore than breakdowns and I've been posting here for months.

If it isn't a breakdown or chuggita or a widdily, then how is it even music?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

krustster posted:

So I guess every time a new Acacia Strain tape comes out we are going to have people going "man I miss when they were fun" and "man this new direction sucks" and then as weeks go by, many of those same people will go "this tape is actually really good" and the cycle will continue~~

Yeah but I'm that metal guy who hates everything so I'll probably only be the former not the latter. The band's lyrics have gradually moved from tastelessly violent but witty/fun/joking one-liners to a bunch of rhyming violence and anger. It's angsty and pandering, feels completely insincere beyond a general "bad day" attitude, and I know the guys behind it are actually fairly normal, social adults which just adds another degree of disappointment because it feels insincere.

Other metalcore-ish news: ex-Darkest Hour guitarist Kris Norris is now in Scar the Martyr, a band led by Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison. Jordison played drums and rhythm guitars on their album, then brought in Norris and Jed Simon to play leads/solos. It basically ranged from boring to bad industrial metalcore/mallcore with competently performed solos fit in where solos don't really fit into the songs, plus more than a few tinges of radio hard rock.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
Don't think I saw this in the thread at all, but if you haven't already give this a listen. For a demo song I am seriously in love with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgKRv2663aI

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Zalgo posted:

Don't think I saw this in the thread at all, but if you haven't already give this a listen. For a demo song I am seriously in love with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgKRv2663aI

Yo this is good sh*t I forgot about this tape,,

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
It was kind of interesting the first listen through, but holy poo poo the new Protest The Hero is loving good. Repeat listenings just make it better.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The new PTH starts off strong but it sort of feels disorganized after 25-30 minutes, the tracks don't flow much and it loses steam. Only listened once though.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

The new PTH starts off strong but it sort of feels disorganized after 25-30 minutes, the tracks don't flow much and it loses steam. Only listened once though.

Just got done with a 3rd spin of it, and I have to say, I think overall it is stronger than Scurrilous (though, no single song that sticks with me as much as c'est la vie did/still does...but that may be just because that song is incredible).

In other new release news...the new East of the Wall is out, and the new vocalist is TERRIBLE...which really sucks because the Apologist was so amazing :saddowns:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I was browsing the internet illicit music blogs and happened upon this band "Heart of a Coward" and thought the name was fairly interesting so I gave them a shot. and HOLY loving PENIS this is some intense and awesome poo poo,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WwrYcqGKpg

The whole album is good. And also there are some clean vocals which are very well done, check it out,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zrtCDYWvqs

Be sure to blast at high volume with headphones or real speakers for best effect. Love that guitar tone,

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
^^ Good recommendation. Downloading the album immediately and loved every song on it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I can dig it.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Yeah look at these... guilty pleasures, man. Winds of Plague came out with a new tape and it's pretty darn good, ESPECIALLY this song. Be wary of the special vocal guest around the 2 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqszxA5QS3Q

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

krustster posted:

Yeah look at these... guilty pleasures, man. Winds of Plague came out with a new tape and it's pretty darn good, ESPECIALLY this song. Be wary of the special vocal guest around the 2 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqszxA5QS3Q

This is fuckin' sick, I never get tired of a good BLERGH! and more Vincent Bennett is always welcome.

Speaking of BLERGH!'s, Obey the Brave just dropped a new tune and it is a banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPgy8AMaSeg

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Came for Vincent Bennett, stayed for ignorant chug chords, left sweaty and satisfied.

And that new OTB tape bangs hard and I can't wait for the second full length. I fuckin love this band.

Also Acacia Strain dropped the Above/Below 7" and it's on iTunes. Both new songs sound a lot better when they're not YouTube quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
If you're reading this right now and like Acacia Strain (and also aren't afraid to wade into the cesspool that is Reddit) one of the guitarists is doing an AMA.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Metalcore/comments/1qn7ea/hey_im_devin_shidaker_a_guitarist_from_the_acacia/