Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The Warden with the bowler cap that was single-handedly guarding one of the Ways into Edinburgh that usually has 5 or 6 guards needs to come back, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Wade Wilson posted:

The Warden with the bowler cap that was single-handedly guarding one of the Ways into Edinburgh that usually has 5 or 6 guards needs to come back, too.

Especially since he has the power to Capitalize whatever Words he wants.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

404GoonNotFound posted:

Especially since he has the power to Capitalize whatever Words he wants.

Ok, so it's settled, the next book after Skin Game has to be a Warden book starring Dresden, Chandler, and Ramirez. Bonus points if they have to go on a roadtrip.

You hear that Jim? The audience has spoken! :argh:

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Zola posted:

I think it's been mentioned once or twice, but has anyone else here seen Night Light? It's a fan made movie, and it wasn't bad at all. It's about an hour long and available on YouTube

If there is one thing fan films always ignore, its the impact of good sound recording and mixing. It's not that hard to do and makes a world of difference in the apparent quality of your video. It's also more bang for your buck than a fancy camera.

That said, it still won't fix the acting.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 29, 2013

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
Quite a few people haven't gotten to speak with Dresden since Changes. Gonna be some more awkward conversations in the next few books.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

DFu4ever posted:

If there is one thing fan films always ignore, its the impact of good sound recording and mixing. It's not that hard to do and makes a world of difference in the apparent quality of your video. It's also more bang for your buck than a fancy camera.

That said, it still won't fix the acting.

I agree with you completely. That echo in every scene really took me right out. Still, it wasn't the worst fan film I've ever seen.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I am still holding out hope that Lea taking on Harry's duties while he was, uh, indisposed, extended to his Wardening. Which could theoretically give us a Ramirez/Lea Buddy Cop Story.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

docbeard posted:

I am still holding out hope that Lea taking on Harry's duties while he was, uh, indisposed, extended to his Wardening. Which could theoretically give us a Ramirez/Lea Buddy Cop Story.

You should suggest this to jim as a short. It would be great.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

docbeard posted:

You have no idea how disappointed I was to find out Harry wasn't going to go for the big guns and pick Lea as his backup for this mission. I just think Lea is hilarious.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Lara realizing Dresden was no longer protected by his love for Susan is also something that could be interesting.

EDIT: I take that back, Dresden would probably just do what Ramirez did and Soul Gaze her so he'd always be reminded what she really was if she ever tried anything.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 29, 2013

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

docbeard posted:

I want this more than I have ever wanted anything. :magical:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

docbeard posted:

Oh gently caress, vote loving changed to this.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Did we ever see Lea on Demonreach? Since she seems to know everything, and if her "wardening" by proxy extended to that she may have filled a few more crystals with things Harry can pump for info.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mirthdefect posted:

Did we ever see Lea on Demonreach? Since she seems to know everything, and if her "wardening" by proxy extended to that she may have filled a few more crystals with things Harry can pump for info.

Pretty sure Lea won't be able to spend much time on Demonreach, as even Mab wouldn't set foot there without Dresden requesting it (and was only allowed there before that because she was helping Demonreach keep Harry alive).

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Wade Wilson posted:

Lara realizing Dresden was no longer protected by his love for Susan is also something that could be interesting.

She already realized that back in Turn Coat, remember?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
She became suspicious, and Dresden got the gently caress outta Dodge, but I don't think she actually knows for sure yet (otherwise she would have probably paid him a visit before the events in Changes).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Wade Wilson posted:

Pretty sure Lea won't be able to spend much time on Demonreach, as even Mab wouldn't set foot there without Dresden requesting it (and was only allowed there before that because she was helping Demonreach keep Harry alive).

That might not matter if she was required to fulfill his obligations while he was... indisposed.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Wade Wilson posted:

She became suspicious, and Dresden got the gently caress outta Dodge, but I don't think she actually knows for sure yet (otherwise she would have probably paid him a visit before the events in Changes).

At the end of Turn Coat she saw how Madeline was able to work her sex magic on Dresden. She has to know he's not protected.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, Lara knows drat well Harry's not protected by love for Susan any more.

She's also not going to make a direct play for control over Harry, because the White Court doesn't make direct plays. Not to mention that (a) Harry's got potent mental defenses even without that protection, and (b) Mab's not going to put up with anyone else trying to take control of her Knight and, ultimately, (c) she doesn't need to. Her plan appears to be, so far, "become a legitimately useful ally to the good guys and ride that righteous wave to more personal power than the other White Court clans could ever dream of". And it's working.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I remember there was a Molly short story that was supposed to be out around the same time as Ghost Story, turns out it's finally being published, about a month before Skin Game is supposed to come out...I wonder what the hell happened there?

Error 404 posted:

Oh gently caress, vote loving changed to this.

:3: , although on second thought, that could get really dark.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Ghetto Prince posted:

I remember there was a Molly short story that was supposed to be out around the same time as Ghost Story, turns out it's finally being published, about a month before Skin Game is supposed to come out...I wonder what the hell happened there?

Edited by GRRM, that's what happened.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

docbeard posted:

Yeah, Lara knows drat well Harry's not protected by love for Susan any more.

She's also not going to make a direct play for control over Harry, because the White Court doesn't make direct plays. Not to mention that (a) Harry's got potent mental defenses even without that protection, and (b) Mab's not going to put up with anyone else trying to take control of her Knight and, ultimately, (c) she doesn't need to. Her plan appears to be, so far, "become a legitimately useful ally to the good guys and ride that righteous wave to more personal power than the other White Court clans could ever dream of". And it's working.

And given that she, personally, is engaged in fighting the common great foe now, I'd say she's MOSTLY on the same side as Harry. Of course she'd backstab him anytime to gain an advantage, but there is no sense risking a good deal here.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I don't think Lara is stupid enough to backstab Harry. She's seen what he does to people that tick him off, he's helped her out in the past and will likely do so again (even if he doesn't like it much), and she is genuinely fond of Thomas, who would hate her if she went gunning for Harry - and she's strong enough now to indulge her fondnesses without fear.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, if, and only if, she thought she could get away with it, and that the advantages outweigh the costs. Lara can well afford to play the long game after all, and in Harry's case, the best time to do anything to him would be when the more direct threats to humanity are dealt with. Until then they have common foes.

And Harry is so useful when you have an enemy in common with him.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

veekie posted:

And given that she, personally, is engaged in fighting the common great foe now, I'd say she's MOSTLY on the same side as Harry. Of course she'd backstab him anytime to gain an advantage, but there is no sense risking a good deal here.

The same side as Harry? Isn't her secret organization the one that basically tried to destroy Winter?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Yes, but that was in the long past. NOW they are keeping Outsiders well, Outside.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Why would Lara want to enslave Harry? Everything he has done so far has aided her rapid ascent to greater power. It's a pretty good strategy: be slightly less evil than one of your rivals, re-direct the crazy good-doing wizard to destroy that rival for you.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

The same side as Harry? Isn't her secret organization the one that basically tried to destroy Winter?

Wait what? I don't recall this detail at all.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

VanSandman posted:

It was in the Backup novella. Basically, the Venatori tried to cut off the Faerie Courts before the Brothers Grimm went and published their collection.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

VanSandman posted:

The Oblivion War is one of the most interesting ideas in all of Dresden, while simultaneously being the most difficult to write about.

You'll find the most details on it in Backup, which is included in Side Jobs

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

The Oblivion War is one of the most interesting ideas in all of Dresden, while simultaneously being the most difficult to write about.

To the point where Ivy's massive involvement will probably never get mentioned in a dresden novel.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
A side story where Ivy is taking on Elder Gods and banishing them from this plane of existence (while obliterating all means of anyone having the chance to summon them again) would be amazing.

Hell, Ivy showing up and talking to Dresden again would be fun/awkward to read.

"Oh, the Denarians? Yeah, I'm the reason Nicodemus put together a team to go into Hades to steal artifacts of power."

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 30, 2013

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Tunicate posted:

To the point where Ivy's massive involvement will probably never get mentioned in a dresden novel.

I read Backup, when was Ivy brought onto it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I read Backup, when was Ivy brought onto it?

It's not from Backup. It's something Jim mentioned on his forum.

I'm pretty sure this will never make it into the actual Dresden Files since Harry has no idea the Oblivion War is happening, along with everyone else. So I'll share it here. :)

The Archive was constructed /for/ the Oblivion War. Specifically.

Yes, the Archive (and Ivy, the two aren't really divisible) know about these forgotten beings. The Archive is in essence the keeper of the dead, where they are concerned. Once the archive believes one of them has been consigned to oblivion, she holds on to the memory of that being briefly, for another thousand years or so, watching for any mention of that being in print in an effort to make sure that she is the /last/ person alive who remembers whichever hideous entity has been consigned.

And once the safety period has elapsed, and the Archive is confident that no one else remembers, she deletes the memory from the Archive. Bad guy, /gone/.

She also tries to keep track of the enemy players in the Oblivion War via watching for communications and so on. When she finds a trace of them, somewhere, she lets a cell of operatives (like Lara and Thomas) know what's up, through a blind drop, and sends them off to handle the problem.

The Oblivion War is a huge, /slow/ thing. Stuff happens every few decades, at most. That's why the Archive was created--to be an immortal awareness, something that could track and intelligently direct responses to the enemy in a war happening on an almost geological scale. All that other stuff she says the Archive is for? Smoke and mirrors. :)

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That's pretty neat.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Tunicate posted:

It's not from Backup. It's something Jim mentioned on his forum.

I'm pretty sure this will never make it into the actual Dresden Files since Harry has no idea the Oblivion War is happening, along with everyone else. So I'll share it here. :)

The Archive was constructed /for/ the Oblivion War. Specifically.

Yes, the Archive (and Ivy, the two aren't really divisible) know about these forgotten beings. The Archive is in essence the keeper of the dead, where they are concerned. Once the archive believes one of them has been consigned to oblivion, she holds on to the memory of that being briefly, for another thousand years or so, watching for any mention of that being in print in an effort to make sure that she is the /last/ person alive who remembers whichever hideous entity has been consigned.

And once the safety period has elapsed, and the Archive is confident that no one else remembers, she deletes the memory from the Archive. Bad guy, /gone/.

She also tries to keep track of the enemy players in the Oblivion War via watching for communications and so on. When she finds a trace of them, somewhere, she lets a cell of operatives (like Lara and Thomas) know what's up, through a blind drop, and sends them off to handle the problem.

The Oblivion War is a huge, /slow/ thing. Stuff happens every few decades, at most. That's why the Archive was created--to be an immortal awareness, something that could track and intelligently direct responses to the enemy in a war happening on an almost geological scale. All that other stuff she says the Archive is for? Smoke and mirrors. :)

this explains(sorta) what Kincaid was referencing when he said "But she isn’t free to share her knowledge like you or me. When she says she can’t tell you, she’s being literal. She physically cannot let such information leave her head"

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I've always assumed Lara looks at Dresden almost exactly how Marcone does. If the only cost of being allies with Harry is an almost like clockwork series of property insurance claims and the benefit is something to the effect of 'Everything more overtly evil than me (hence stuff I probably compete against) dies in horrible ways.' then why bother being anything less than helpful? I get a kick out of the line, I think it was from Changes, where Marcone basically tells Harry that he is his most effective tool for getting rid of trouble and Harry just silently fumes about it.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Harry is immensely useful if you're just the ruthlessly practical kind of evil. The kind where the harm is primarily a means to an end rather than the end in itself. Marcone wants money and dominance, Lara wants food and influence, neither necessarily need to kill humans for it, though it makes things more convenient and so they can always be the lesser evil. Heck, they even natively prefer low impact, doing too much damage to the population diminishes the profit for them.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Gotta say, I hated backup because of how lame the oblivion thing was. I hope it never peaks into the Dresden books. I'm no fan of the whole fairies versus outsiders deal, either, frankly. Giant, off screen conspiracies are pretty weak story telling devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Well, you'd probably be one of the few to hold that opinion.

It's also a natural continuation of the idea that an entity holds power directly in proportion to how much remembrance and veneration it has. Something has to wage war against the dark things that can quietly gain power in the dark, and the more people that know about such a thing, the more power it gains.

Isn't there some speculation/confirmation somewhere from Butcher that the White God didn't actually create the universe, but retroactively became the de facto manager and owner by virtue of being worshiped by a few billion followers and amassing huge amounts of power?

• Locked thread