Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triskadekaphilia
Oct 29, 2004

Ev posted:

I need some cat advice. My girlfriend and I adopted a couple cats a little over a week ago. Well, actually we adopted the kitten (Robby, ~3 months old) and we're fostering an adult cat (Ricky, ~1-2 years old) with the hope of adopting him as well, assuming they both get along.

Things seem good, other than both of them wanting to eat the other's food and Ricky sometimes getting a little rough, in our eyes, when they play fight (no one's drawn blood and they sleep on the bed with us at night, so I figure they're okay together).

Unfortunately, my girlfriend seems to be having an issue with allergies. Now, we had a cat from the time we moved in together until he passed away suddenly back in May (he was 15 and threw a clot) and she never had an allergy to him. But this is to the point that I'm not sure we can keep either of them, which sucks. It doesn't make sense because she even works in a pet store (they don't sell pets there, but lots of people bring dogs in) and she's been around animals her whole life and never had allergies.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone's had a sudden allergy pop up and if so, what did you do about it? We gave the kitten a bath a couple days ago, which didn't help, and I'm going give them both a bath either tonight or in the morning, plus clean the whole place to see if that'll make a difference but other than that I don't know what to do. I'm also changing their litter to World's Best, sort of hoping that maybe she's having an issue with the litter they were using at the shelter because she wasn't allergic when we went to the shelter and interacted with them before the adoption.

I'm wondering if it could be the older cat since he was in a room with something like 10 other cats (they all had cages, but were loose in the room during the hours the shelter was open) and maybe he got something on him from the other cats? I know they used frontline on him as it's in his paperwork. Can someone be allergic to frontline?

We really don't want to give them up and they both seem really happy here but we just can't keep them if her allergies don't improve.

How bad are the allergies? I've never had bad cat allergies, but when I moved in with my boyfriend I couldn't breathe for pretty much a month straight due to his 3 cats (or more specifically probably the one that sleeps on my chest at night...). I took zyrtec in the evenings and eventually like other posters I just acclimated I guess because now I'm fine. I know some people get weekly/monthly/whateverly allergy shots at the doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Pearl has eaten and used her new litter box already. :)
How long do you folks recommend before I start introducing her to the rest of the house? Right now when I go in her bathroom she either climbs up on the sink so she can stand up and lick my face, or hunkers down behind the toilet or in the bathtub and just glares at me.

I don't want to stress her out, but I don't want to leave her in there alone for too long, either.

This is actually made a bit harder by the fact that she's a very quiet cat. She doesn't cry when she wants something.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

KnightLight posted:

Pearl has eaten and used her new litter box already. :)
How long do you folks recommend before I start introducing her to the rest of the house? Right now when I go in her bathroom she either climbs up on the sink so she can stand up and lick my face, or hunkers down behind the toilet or in the bathtub and just glares at me.

I don't want to stress her out, but I don't want to leave her in there alone for too long, either.

This is actually made a bit harder by the fact that she's a very quiet cat. She doesn't cry when she wants something.

I gave my cats about a week in "isolation" to give them a good transition period. Wait until Pearl begins to seem curious about the world beyond the bathroom door or she seems fully comfortable with you. If you can close off portions of your house, you can let her gain access in pieces instead of the whole house at once. Since she's showing good litter use and all that you should be good to let her out as soon as you're comfortable with the idea of it.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

I let Pearl explore a bit and she immediately found a hole where the base of my cabinets doesn't connect and allows access to the back of my counters where I can't reach.

Cats are all innate hazard-seekers, I swear.
She didn't get in there, but no unsupervised free-roaming until I patch that hole.

KnightLight fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 28, 2013

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

KnightLight posted:

I let Pearl explore a bit and she immediately found a hole where the base of my cabinets doesn't connect and allows access to the back of my counters where i can't reach.

Cats are all innate hazard-seekers, I swear.
She didn't get in there, but no unsupervised free-roaming until I patch that hole.

She's a cat, all right! I'm glad everything seems to be going well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Can anyone recommend me a good "cat gate" somewhere? I won't go into detail for the sake of brevity, but I have the type of apartment where the living room/kitchen/dining room is all together and there is one hallway that leads to my office/bedroom/bathroom etc, and I'd like to put a removable gate up at the mouth of that hallway to keep my cats out. I've tried home-brew ideas before, but they never really work since cats are such good climbers.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience
You could try a screen door. Home Depot has wooden screen doors that are fairly inexpensive.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
So I'm wondering about the possibility of bringing a new cat into the family with one that's a little bit older (5 years). My wife and I got our cat somewhat by surprise: she was found by a neighbor after being abandoned by her mother in a factory the day after she was born. Basically, we've had her since before her eyes were open, and she's lived in a variety of different situations, from being on her own to living with dogs, to living with an older male cat.

She's been with us on her own now for a few months, no other pets, and we think it may be time to bring in another cat. We aren't sure, though, if it's too late. She deals well with other animals, given enough time, but can be territorial about things like our bed. When she lived with my wife's older male cat, they would sleep together in the morning, but at night when we would go to sleep, she could be a bit rough with him in an effort to get the bed for herself. She never hurt him, but the tendency toward that is a concern to us. At the same time though, we think that she needs more socialization with another cat, as she's shown some minor separation issues when we go to work, etc.

While we were aware that cats do well with other cats, we've always been a little hesitant to take the plunge after the death of the older male, partly because of cost and partly because of our concerns about our current cat's personality. We were thinking that, as much as we love the idea of adopting an older cat, a kitten would be able to better adapt to the quirks of our cat, which in turn would give our cat time to adapt to it.

Basically, I'm just wondering if five years old is too old to suddenly bring in a new cat, and if anyone has any advice on the introduction process.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I just introduced a 6-month-old male to our 6-year-old female and the introduction went okay. Our older cat was a little protective of her stuff and us, but about a week later they're good friends already.

If you're worried, just make sure you introduce them slowly (keep them in separate rooms, use a gate to let them see each other) and get some feliway. There's good information earlier in the thread about introductions, and Eggplant Wizard has a good how-to in the OP. Good luck! I'm very glad I got a friend for our older cat.

Schmeichy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 28, 2013

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

McCloud24 posted:

Basically, I'm just wondering if five years old is too old to suddenly bring in a new cat, and if anyone has any advice on the introduction process.
My cat Lazlo was introduced to his final companion, a 10 week old kitten, at the ripe old age of 13. Other than the occasional "why do you hate me?" looks he'd give me when the kitten did kitten things, he was fine. Age can be a factor but the temperament of your current cat is going to determine how well it goes.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
My sisters crotchety old Siamese was about 7 or 8 when she adopted her four other cats. He really hated them, and he still kind of hates them, but they have all learned to get along. The new cats give him his space, and he even lets one of them cuddle with him on occasion but in general the cats keep the peace with themselves .

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
Am I onto anything in thinking that a kitten might prove more adaptable to my current cat's issues? If I had my way, I would adopt an adult cat since there are so many, and shelters around here have a much easier time homing kittens for obvious reasons, but I'm concerned that personality clashes would be a little more problematic if the cats were of a similar age.

I guess my thinking was that, if my cat feels like being a bit domineering, a kitten would be better able to learn how she does things, and, if they don't turn out to like each other, at least make something approximating a livable peace. I honestly don't know if there's anything to back this up though, it's just been how things have seemed to work in my personal experience with cats.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
I'm not sure if a kitten is really any easier to introduce. I have six cats, and most I've introduced as adults really. I have a 17.5 year old (Hu) that was 10 years old when I brought in a 6 month old (Clyde) and a 1 year old (George), and he gets along well with both of them. I adopted those two after losing Hu's buddy Loaf who was 9 years old and had cancer. A couple years later, I brought in a 6 year old (Fred)...he was kind of a jerk and took a bit longer to get along with everyone, but now he gets along well with everyone, and is even a favorite wrestling buddy to some. Some time after that I brought in a 1-2 year old (Frank), and he loves everyone (but annoys them too, like a little brother should). My most recent is my first female cat who is 8 years old (Claire) that I took in earlier this year. Nobody really hates her, the pretty much don't really care about her one way or the other. She goes up to them and yells at their butts or their throats pretty regularly, but the other cats pretty much don't react at all to her. She's a tiny thing. There are some that like each other or annoy each other more than others. Clyde doesn't really like George because George will chase him and not stop sometimes, and George doesn't really like Frank for the same reason, but the fighting/annoying is pretty rare.

One thing you could do, is talk to a rescue and see if they have a cat (or kitten) in a foster home that seems to like other cats really well, is laid back around other cats and whatever other traits you are looking for to see if they have a good match.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

My cat has a black nipple. :catstare:

She's 5 or so, and her skin is supposed to be pink all over. Just this one nipple has a little black lump or swelling(?) on the end. It kind of looks like a tiny tick is stuck on the tip, except it isn't. There's no redness or other lumps or anything. It doesn't hurt her either. She just acts like it's not there.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Cat behavior question:
Sometimes when I give my two 1 1/2 year old cats their favorite high value wet food, Cale will rarely growl at Terra. That really low MRRRRRRRRRR sound like "Stay away, this is mine" She never swipes or hisses at Terra, and doesn't block Terra from the food, so most of the time Terra digs in anyways. But I am a little concerned about this behavior. We brought them home at the same time over a year ago and they never fight or fuss except for this rare growl. She doesn't growl over the dry food they have or the toys they share. They play wrestle and snuggle and groom each other daily.

Should I let it go since it doesn't seem to be causing any distress for Terra? It only happens about once a week. Can I do something to correct this behavior? I'm a little worried it might escalate, though she hasn't gotten any worse since I noticed it a couple months ago. I've tried giving them separate bowls to eat out of instead of serving the whole can on one plate, but they always gravitate towards each other and eat off the same plate.

Buggiezor fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 29, 2013

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Corridor posted:

My cat has a black nipple. :catstare:

She's 5 or so, and her skin is supposed to be pink all over. Just this one nipple has a little black lump or swelling(?) on the end. It kind of looks like a tiny tick is stuck on the tip, except it isn't. There's no redness or other lumps or anything. It doesn't hurt her either. She just acts like it's not there.

My girl cat gets sort of crispy flaky gunk on her teats every now and again. It seems to vary with her cystitis flare ups, when it builds up a bit I take her in and they give her some anti-biotics which clears it up again.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Buggiezor posted:

Cat behavior question:
Sometimes when I give my two 1 1/2 year old cats their favorite high value wet food, Cale will rarely growl at Terra. That really low MRRRRRRRRRR sound like "Stay away, this is mine" She never swipes or hisses at Terra, and doesn't block Terra from the food, so most of the time Terra digs in anyways. But I am a little concerned about this behavior. We brought them home at the same time over a year ago and they never fight or fuss except for this rare growl. She doesn't growl over the dry food they have or the toys they share. They play wrestle and snuggle and groom each other daily.

Should I let it go since it doesn't seem to be causing any distress for Terra? It only happens about once a week. Can I do something to correct this behavior? I'm a little worried it might escalate, though she hasn't gotten any worse since I noticed it a couple months ago. I've tried giving them separate bowls to eat out of instead of serving the whole can on one plate, but they always gravitate towards each other and eat off the same plate.

I have this happen to me as well. We have two cats, Higgs and Cave, and Higgs will do the exact growl you're describing. It doesn't happen much, but it is basically a "Jog on, this is mine mineMINE!" growl around food or a high-value toy. Cave usually just chills and waits his turn, getting to the food when Higgs is done.

So long as it doesn't get to the point of actual fighting I wouldn't worry about it. You can try a Feliway plug near their feeding area and see if that helps, or try to feed them a few steps away from one another. Sometimes you can put the bowls around corners so the cats can't see each other eating and that can help out cat-relations.

Also, you can feel free to lecture Cale after a growling bout and call him a fattyhog. :3: That's pretty much mandatory.

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson
My cat was recently diagnosed with IBD, and I was hoping to share stories/experiences with other IBD-cat owners. I started a new thread for it so it wouldn't get lost in here, but maybe this is just where all the cool kids hang out. :) Anyone else dealing with this? I hear it's pretty common for senior cats... Oreohead is 12 and otherwise healthy. We're still in the process of finding the right meds/combination of meds to manage this.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
How big of a deal is it to give kittens non-kitten food? I have 3 young ones: two about 5-6 months, and my new arrival is about 11 weeks at time of writing. I've given them Wellness CORE Kitten, wet and dry, since the start. I don't want to switch brands, but if I buy by the case of 24 5.5oz tins I can get the fish formula of CORE for over 40 cents less per can than the kitten formula. On the dry side, a 5 lb 14 oz bag of dry CORE kitten is about 26.99 + tax, while I can get a 12-pound bag of Chicken or the like for just 37.99, shipped and tax free. Plus, my 6-month shorthair barely touches the wet kitten (loves the dry) but really went for the tin of fish formula CORE that I picked up as a trial.

I should point out, for what it may or may not be worth, that both of these "adult" food are labelled "For cats or kittens." I want what is best for my little ones, but the cost adds up pretty fast when you're buying premium food and I'm tired of overpaying for kitten formula for whatever reason. Plus, those just-under-6 pound bags of dry food don't last that long when you're free-feeding 3 cats, and I wouldn't mind saving a few trips to the shop.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 30, 2013

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I'm having problems with my two cats. I have Bates who is a 5 year old male tabby and the original cat that I have had for a few years. Annie is the new cat, a 9 year old brown tabby maine coon.

The problems come up when Annie will hiss at Bates and run away, which precipitates a chase where Annie will run under the bed (hidey spot), with Bates in tow attempting to pounce on Annie. Bates never really bites or does anything damaging, in fact he doesn't even have his front claws. Annie has all her claws but seems mostly unwilling to use them. However, there is lots of hissing and unhappy cats.

Complicating the matter, Bates will sit blocking every pathway in the house and :catstare: at Annie. Annie will sometimes work up the nerve to walk passed him, usually nothing happens, but sometimes she will just hiss at him to get him out of her way. Other times, Bates will attempt to slloowwwly walk passed Annie as far away as he can if they are in a narrow space.

So Bates seems to exhibit bullying behavior in that he will stare at Annie, and he will also block the doorways and give chase. However, both of them sometimes seem afraid of the other, Annie with hissing and running away, and Bates with his walking on eggshells and his running away.

I've tried slowly introducing each other, I've tried splitting them up again. I've tried a compressed air can, pheromones, etc. Nothing seems to work.

This whole thing has been going on for about 4 weeks. Could I see if medications could help? When should I call it quits and give away the new cat?

Edit: I should point out that the new cat, Annie, has previously lived in a house with many cats. Bates has pretty much always been an only cat.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 30, 2013

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

How big of a deal is it to give kittens non-kitten food? I have 3 young ones: two about 5-6 months, and my new arrival is about 11 weeks at time of writing. I've given them Wellness CORE Kitten, wet and dry, since the start. I don't want to switch brands, but if I buy by the case of 24 5.5oz tins I can get the fish formula of CORE for over 40 cents less per can than the kitten formula. On the dry side, a 5 lb 14 oz bag of dry CORE kitten is about 26.99 + tax, while I can get a 12-pound bag of Chicken or the like for just 37.99, shipped and tax free. Plus, my 6-month shorthair barely touches the wet kitten (loves the dry) but really went for the tin of fish formula CORE that I picked up as a trial.

I should point out, for what it may or may not be worth, that both of these "adult" food are labelled "For cats or kittens." I want what is best for my little ones, but the cost adds up pretty fast when you're buying premium food and I'm tired of overpaying for kitten formula for whatever reason. Plus, those just-under-6 pound bags of dry food don't last that long when you're free-feeding 3 cats, and I wouldn't mind saving a few trips to the shop.

If the normal adult diets have the phrase "appropriate for all life stages" or some such with AAFCO certification, then it is totally fine to feed to kittens. That phrase is usually on the back of the can or bag.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Torpor posted:

Bates and Annie

This is a long metaphor for the current season of Downton, isn't it?

A pharmaceutical remedy might be possible, but really sometimes cat introductions just take a very long time.

Have you tried getting them to play together? I have had a lot of luck getting cats who are uneasy with each other playing with da bird. I can only assume they are thinking "hey this cat likes da bird too, s/he can't be all bad"

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Dogen posted:

This is a long metaphor for the current season of Downton, isn't it?

A pharmaceutical remedy might be possible, but really sometimes cat introductions just take a very long time.

Have you tried getting them to play together? I have had a lot of luck getting cats who are uneasy with each other playing with da bird. I can only assume they are thinking "hey this cat likes da bird too, s/he can't be all bad"

I actually didn't name either of them. What is da bird?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

HelloSailorSign posted:

If the normal adult diets have the phrase "appropriate for all life stages" or some such with AAFCO certification, then it is totally fine to feed to kittens. That phrase is usually on the back of the can or bag.

Good call on that. I went back and had a look at all of the various flavours of CORE wet, and some say adults only while others say both. The kitten, not surprisingly, says kittens only, but the beef/lamp/venison, indoor, and turkey/duck formulas specifically say adults only while the chicken & turkey and fish blends say for both. Thanks for pointing that out. All of the non-kitten dry formulas say adults only, though, so I guess that I'm stuck paying 40% more for the small bags of kitten for a while.

On another subject, what's World's Best Cat litter like? I've heard nothing but raves and I'm kind of starting to see the drawbacks of Swheat Scoop, but I really like the flushable aspect. I looked at a bag of World's Best and it didn't say anything about being flushable, but I'd swear I've seen people on this very thread say that it can be flushed. I know that quite a few hear use it, so I'd like to hear about it in some detail. Shweat scoop isn't bad, but my box keeps having these wet globs of moist litter/pee stuck to the bottom, and sometimes it doesn't seem to do a great job of odour control for poo.

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson

JustJeff88 posted:

Good call on that. I went back and had a look at all of the various flavours of CORE wet, and some say adults only while others say both. The kitten, not surprisingly, says kittens only, but the beef/lamp/venison, indoor, and turkey/duck formulas specifically say adults only while the chicken & turkey and fish blends say for both. Thanks for pointing that out. All of the non-kitten dry formulas say adults only, though, so I guess that I'm stuck paying 40% more for the small bags of kitten for a while.

On another subject, what's World's Best Cat litter like? I've heard nothing but raves and I'm kind of starting to see the drawbacks of Swheat Scoop, but I really like the flushable aspect. I looked at a bag of World's Best and it didn't say anything about being flushable, but I'd swear I've seen people on this very thread say that it can be flushed. I know that quite a few hear use it, so I'd like to hear about it in some detail. Shweat scoop isn't bad, but my box keeps having these wet globs of moist litter/pee stuck to the bottom, and sometimes it doesn't seem to do a great job of odour control for poo.

I'm almost certain I've seen dry food for "all stages" - I'll try to remember the brand if someone else doesn't beat me to it. It was a premium brand.

As for World's Best, I just switched to it recently. I don't know if it's flushable, but I like the lack of dust. It doesn't do a thing for the tracking - my cat is fluffy and that stuff sticks to him like styrofoam peanuts - but clay litters were just as bad so I think it's fine for the no-dust tradeoff. I tried some "new formula" WB recently that was pine rather than corn, and remembered why I don't like the pine litters. I like the smell better, but the way it quickly deteriorates into powder is annoying, and that *really* clings to ol' FluffyBottoms.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I have no idea what new cat did to old cat but he finally reached his limit and let her know who actually is boss. I heard the growling and some hissing in another room, decided to investigate and found Watson posturing over a cowering, ears down and growling little Raven. He'd smack her head, she'd hiss back and growl some more. They did this for a few minutes, moving towards the back of the house as she'd escape a bit and he'd slowly follow her to her new spot. When Raven got cornered under the workbench I decided the point had been made and called Watson over to me. Instant tail up and as he was coming over to me Raven reached out and swatted at his back leg, he didn't even look at her. They were eating next to each other not 30 seconds later without issues.

Watson is about twice the size of Raven so he has basically let her be an annoying little poo poo to him for weeks. Occasionally he'd yell at her, hiss then go pout on top of the cat tree when she'd push him to far/was done playing/didn't want to be bugged but yesterday he actually stood his ground and it was about time. I don't expect the two of them to be as close as Watson and Figaro were but I do want them to be able to co-exist without antagonizing one another. Raven's still young, only about a year, so her annoying behavior is to be expected. Now, though, she knows there are consequences to ignoring the "back the gently caress off" signals Watson gives when he doesn't want to play or is done playing.

Poor Watson, he has a few more years of the rear end in a top hat kitten phase to live through.

lorabel
Apr 4, 2013

I found a pair of kittens at a shelter that I'm planning on adopting. One brother is a little wary of people but the other is completely sociable. We're thinking that it won't take too long for the shy one to warm up to us. They're around 13 weeks old and will be getting their second vaccination shot next week.

My question is, does anyone know about cat colds? Are they common and do they go away quickly?
Both of the brothers have a cold but they're saying that it's okay and that they'll be just fine by next week (when they should be coming home with us). Should I be worried?

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

triskadekaphilia posted:

How bad are the allergies? I've never had bad cat allergies, but when I moved in with my boyfriend I couldn't breathe for pretty much a month straight due to his 3 cats (or more specifically probably the one that sleeps on my chest at night...). I took zyrtec in the evenings and eventually like other posters I just acclimated I guess because now I'm fine. I know some people get weekly/monthly/whateverly allergy shots at the doctor.

They're not great. She says she can't breathe and her eyes burn like crazy. We tried rubbing a clean towel on them last night and put that on her face and they just got worse. Giving both of them a bath didn't seem to do anything to help it, though they certainly smelled cleaner.

Someone told her that she has to change her diet completely to deal with this, something about the cats being the tipping point, but I don't know about that... plus it's a huge change in eating habits.

It's at the point where I'm thinking the cats just may not work out. I took the kitten to the vet yesterday and they said that it could just take time, but time as in a few months, and I don't know that she can handle the allergies for a few months with no guarantee that they'll get better.

She stayed at her parents' house a couple nights ago and she didn't have any allergies there, so I think we're sort of at an impasse. I'm going to call the director of the shelter they're from and talk to her, but from what I've heard from some of the volunteers there, we certainly wouldn't be the first people who couldn't keep a cat because of allergies...

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

lorabel posted:

I found a pair of kittens at a shelter that I'm planning on adopting. One brother is a little wary of people but the other is completely sociable. We're thinking that it won't take too long for the shy one to warm up to us. They're around 13 weeks old and will be getting their second vaccination shot next week.

My question is, does anyone know about cat colds? Are they common and do they go away quickly?
Both of the brothers have a cold but they're saying that it's okay and that they'll be just fine by next week (when they should be coming home with us). Should I be worried?

There's upper respiratory infections, and there's colds. My cat gets the occasional cold this time of year, and there's a couple days of sniffling and sneezing, then he's fine. I've had him for almost 12 years now and this has always been the case. There's no heinous amounts of green goo or coughing or anything like that. Someone who's had experience with an actual URI might be better to tell you the signs of that, but I'd say cat colds are common and do go away </not a vet>. I know when my boyfriend adopted his cat recently, he got a free initial visit with a particular vet referred by the shelter. If this shelter does that, it would probably be worth taking them up on it right away and asking about the colds.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Torpor posted:

I actually didn't name either of them. What is da bird?

It's the ultimate feather on a string type cat toy. I haven't seen a cat that can resist its allure. My cats cry when I go near where it is kept in anticipation of me possibly getting it out. You can get it at petsmart or amazon or wherever.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I think my cat has an ear infection. She keeps scratching it and trying to clean it then shaking her head afterwards. I'm really really tight on money for the next 30 days--are there any home remedies I could use in the meantime?

She's not an outdoor cat at all and my apartment has no pests at all so it's not fleas or anything.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Ev posted:

They're not great. She says she can't breathe and her eyes burn like crazy. We tried rubbing a clean towel on them last night and put that on her face and they just got worse. Giving both of them a bath didn't seem to do anything to help it, though they certainly smelled cleaner.

Someone told her that she has to change her diet completely to deal with this, something about the cats being the tipping point, but I don't know about that... plus it's a huge change in eating habits.

It's at the point where I'm thinking the cats just may not work out. I took the kitten to the vet yesterday and they said that it could just take time, but time as in a few months, and I don't know that she can handle the allergies for a few months with no guarantee that they'll get better.

She stayed at her parents' house a couple nights ago and she didn't have any allergies there, so I think we're sort of at an impasse. I'm going to call the director of the shelter they're from and talk to her, but from what I've heard from some of the volunteers there, we certainly wouldn't be the first people who couldn't keep a cat because of allergies...

Have you tried OTC remedies like Zirtec? Can she talk to her GP about allergy shots? You're not out of options and she doesn't have to suffer until she'd adjusted to the cats at all!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Coconut Indian posted:

I think my cat has an ear infection. She keeps scratching it and trying to clean it then shaking her head afterwards. I'm really really tight on money for the next 30 days--are there any home remedies I could use in the meantime?

She's not an outdoor cat at all and my apartment has no pests at all so it's not fleas or anything.

Find the money to get her on antibiotics. Ear infections can go very badly. One of our cats developed vestibular ataxia and lost most of her hearing due to an ear infection.

You can try an ear mites remedy, I guess. If there's a lot of black bits (mite poop) in her ear it might be that.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

baxxy posted:

I'm almost certain I've seen dry food for "all stages" - I'll try to remember the brand if someone else doesn't beat me to it. It was a premium brand.

Orijen makes a Cat and Kitten food. http://www.orijen.ca/blog/products/dry-cat-food/cat-kitten
I free feed two cats with it and a large bag will last me somewhere around a month.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I just got the poultry EVO for my cat and kitten:

http://www.evopet.com/products/1441

It was cheaper than the adult food I used to feed my cat (Blue Buffalo Wilderness).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Canadian Bakin posted:

Orijen makes a Cat and Kitten food. http://www.orijen.ca/blog/products/dry-cat-food/cat-kitten
I free feed two cats with it and a large bag will last me somewhere around a month.

They don't sell it in the area, but thanks. I want to stay with Wellness CORE, honestly, but it's just a slap in the mush to pay $27 pre-tax for just under 6 pounds when I can get 12 full pounds for $38. My older shorthair really loves the dry kitten food but not so much the wet. She isn't underweight (I free-feed dry), but I worry about hydration.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Find the money to get her on antibiotics. Ear infections can go very badly. One of our cats developed vestibular ataxia and lost most of her hearing due to an ear infection.

You can try an ear mites remedy, I guess. If there's a lot of black bits (mite poop) in her ear it might be that.

Could also be fungus, our new boy cat came with a case of that and got multiple ear med squirts from the doc to knock it out. Really you can't tell without a vet visit unfortunately.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

JustJeff88 posted:

I worry about hydration.

A pet fountain is a great option if wet food just isn't your kitty's preference. I'm a fan of the Drinkwell Platinum fountain, but there's plenty of different types to choose from. Or you can go the route of multiple bowls of water around the house in areas that your cats frequent. My in-laws do this and it works well for their cats.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Canadian Bakin posted:

A pet fountain is a great option if wet food just isn't your kitty's preference. I'm a fan of the Drinkwell Platinum fountain, but there's plenty of different types to choose from. Or you can go the route of multiple bowls of water around the house in areas that your cats frequent. My in-laws do this and it works well for their cats.

I have a drinkwell platinum fountain, it is a pretty good deal. My cat(s) prefer to drink out of it over a bowl of water. My mother also bought one for her cat and that cat, reportedly, drank more water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Canadian Bakin posted:

Canadian Bakin posted:

My girls *seem* to drink a fair amount, but it's hard to tell as I work a lot and it's not like I only have one kitten where I can just observe bowl levels. I probably should get a fountain, though I don't care about filtration, but there seems to be pretty compelling evidence that moving water encourages cats to drink. There was some fountain at the local PetCo... I forgot the brand, but it was a compact black one that would have been perfect, but I put off buying it and it's no longer there.

Just had a look online - I think that the one at PetCo was the Aspen pet Cool Flow Pet Fountain

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 31, 2013