Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
For Case 5 I actually thought Athena's mom would be the culprit somehow, or maybe the spy, since they brought Pearl back and dead people are kind of her thing. Was glad that didn't happen though, Dahlia was enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Considering how little screen-time Pearl and Maya got, it's drat near screaming for a post-case 5 DLC that features them.

More like screaming for a post-game Ace Attorney 6. :colbert:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Case 3 is an overwhelming torrent of anime. High School, crossdressing, hot tempered red and cold calm blue, both of Robin's personalities, "proof of friendship", THE DARK AGE OF THE LAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW, and so on.

Also the SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE bit felt forced but it got a laugh out of me anyway. Apollo is just fantastic in this case. He was solid in 2 but in 3 he's just great, he's got your back so hard :buddy:

e: and the chill arrange of his theme when you're talking to him is soooo gooooood :swoon:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

theshim posted:

e: and the chill arrange of his theme when you're talking to him is soooo gooooood :swoon:

Probably my favourite piece of music in the game.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Go to Episode Select on the main menu and you can.

The episode select is so great, I took a look at it just out of curiosity and it's really comprehensive. It's not just divided up by the "to be continued..."'s, it's a dozen or more chapters for each case. Each cross-examination is its own chapter. Massive improvement.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Snix posted:

... But does that mean they've been lugging that thing everywhere they go? I was never clear on how the evidence works in-universe. I kind of assumed they just had photos of the evidence, since they never take it from the crime scene, and it just seems inconvenient to carry it everywhere. Except if the evidence was pocket-sized or something.
Yeah, that's never been very clear. The evidence seizing seems to just be an abstraction in this game to make sure the court record doesn't get clogged with tonnes of irrelevant evidence. That said, in case 2 I think they probably shouldn't have destroyed the blackmail letter, it would have been relevant to the claim that Damian was The Amazing Nine-Tails and also it would be strange for you to have a piece of evidence that was presented by Blackquill in court.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

theshim posted:

Case 3 is an overwhelming torrent of anime. High School, crossdressing, hot tempered red and cold calm blue, both of Robin's personalities, "proof of friendship", THE DARK AGE OF THE LAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW, and so on.

Also the SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE bit felt forced but it got a laugh out of me anyway. Apollo is just fantastic in this case. He was solid in 2 but in 3 he's just great, he's got your back so hard :buddy:

(Minor spoilers for the whole game, I guess) Something I like about this game is that now instead of one lawyer we have multiple ones so you can pair them up in different ways, which makes for more interesting storytelling. We get Apollo/Athena, then in the case immediately after, it's reversed to Athena/Apollo, so you get to see both sides of that dynamic, as well as seeing what Apollo and Athena are like when they're in charge and on the sidelines. I hope this carries on in future games, it'd be interesting to see what Phoenix would be like assisting, for example.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

(Minor spoilers for the whole game, I guess) Something I like about this game is that now instead of one lawyer we have multiple ones so you can pair them up in different ways, which makes for more interesting storytelling. We get Apollo/Athena, then in the case immediately after, it's reversed to Athena/Apollo, so you get to see both sides of that dynamic, as well as seeing what Apollo and Athena are like when they're in charge and on the sidelines. I hope this carries on in future games, it'd be interesting to see what Phoenix would be like assisting, for example.

I think we get a feel for it in both Case 1 and in the dialog and advice he gives out in Cases 2 and 3. It seems like a pretty good growth for the character. He's still a bit doofy and sweats like crazy, but he's upbeat, positive and knows how to change the the game on the opposition to the point where he's totally feared by the prosecution community. He's a great approachable mentor figure.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Huh, I hadn't even realized it, but they actually put up a release trailer, and... I actually like the voices here, unlike the game (mostly). Well, except Bobby, who just sounds silly, but Riegel actually does make a pretty fine Phoenix when he gets to put some umph into the lines.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Terper posted:

Huh, I hadn't even realized it, but they actually put up a release trailer, and... I actually like the voices here, unlike the game (mostly). Well, except Bobby, who just sounds silly, but Riegel actually does make a pretty fine Phoenix when he gets to put some umph into the lines.
What the heck, they actually had orchestrated versions of those songs? They shoulda put them in the game!!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Terper posted:

I don't know how they managed to make Phoenix sound so much better in that trailer than in the cutscenes, I wish it was all like that. Sounded like Riegel actually enjoyed doing those lines.

Apollo sucks either way though. I'm quite the fan of Wendee Lee's Athena, but Bobby... not sure what went wrong there. I always heard him in my head as sounding like Matt Berry. I think it's all the laughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBfC0UxGT4Q

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

eating only apples posted:

I always heard him in my head as sounding like Matt Berry. I think it's all the laughter.

Thank you for the headcanon.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Justin_Brett posted:

For Case 5 I actually thought Athena's mom would be the culprit somehow, or maybe the spy, since they brought Pearl back and dead people are kind of her thing. Was glad that didn't happen though, Dahlia was enough.

I was actually expecting Mia to randomly show up when Phoenix was about to lose. Really glad it didn't happen for various reasons (one of them being that I always thought that was kinda weird and creepy in the second/third game).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

eating only apples posted:

Apollo sucks either way though. I'm quite the fan of Wendee Lee's Athena, but Bobby... not sure what went wrong there. I always heard him in my head as sounding like Matt Berry. I think it's all the laughter.

I imagined him with Inspector Gadget's voice. But I'm quite liking this option.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Huh, I'd always read Blackquill with a heavy Cockney accent.

I kind of wondered why (case 5)Nobody thought to have Pearl channel Metis and just ask who killed her.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Chaltab posted:

I kind of wondered why (case 5)Nobody thought to have Pearl channel Metis and just ask who killed her.

Spoilered just in case.

DL6 may have been 10 years before the case and spirit channeling may have been proven to be legitimate in the interim, but I don't think the courts were ready to go back to that after the mess with Gregory Edgeworth's spirit.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And I thought it was implied that she became another hostage, since I can't recall her reappearing at all after the meetup with Edgeworth in Aura's lab until after the trial.

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

Chaltab posted:

If Gregory edgeworth got the killer wrong, what makes you think metis wouldn't.

Regalingualius posted:

And I thought it was implied that she became another hostage, since I can't recall her reappearing at all after the meetup with Edgeworth in Aura's lab until after the trial.
No, pearl's still with them when they're at trial, she just doesn't take the stand.

Wasper fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 30, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

No, she's at court. She was looking after Athena.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Aurain posted:

No, she's at court. She was looking after Athena.

:doh: Yeah, forgot about that.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I think there's the matter of receptiveness/skill of the medium involved as well. Mia could easily get into Maya or Pearl because she was one as well, and they were family. Pearl may be a supposed prodigy in whatever training Kurain Village has, but it doesn't necessarily mean she can summon up the souls of people she has no association with at will.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
That's a question for the ages in the serie. My guess is that because it's unreliable (Remember, Gregory Edgeworth got it wrong and lied about who he thought was the culprit), and because it's useless in court. So it's not really useful at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just finished it.
Possibly the best AA game.

Best £20 you can spend on 3DS.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Iceclaw posted:

That's a question for the ages in the serie. My guess is that because it's unreliable (Remember, Gregory Edgeworth got it wrong and lied about who he thought was the culprit), and because it's useless in court. So it's not really useful at all.

Thing about that is, Gregory didn't know who killed him, so he just latched onto the most obvious person who wasn't his son. Metis would have likely seen her killer, seeing as she wasn't passed out in an elevator at the time.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm at the start of Case 4 Day 2 Trial part 2, just after using the Mood Matrix on Cosmos to determine the killer went through the Launch Pad door, and this is getting really convoluted. Athena said it best. What a goddamn mess this case is becoming. :psyduck:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Oh, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The ending of that case easily trumps everything before it.

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

Thing about that is, Gregory didn't know who killed him, so he just latched onto the most obvious person who wasn't his son. Metis would have likely seen her killer, seeing as she wasn't passed out in an elevator at the time.

and she would have seen: A guy in a mask with no real defining features.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Wasper posted:

and she would have seen: A guy in a mask with no real defining features.

Which would still have cleared Athena, if not Blackquill.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
And IF the Judge would have cared for that to be admissible in court, and that's a pretty big if considering how DL-6 has apparently burned that bridge, the prosecution could have said that Metis was protecting her daughter.

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

AND If she was to be believed, sure. We know she's telling the truth, but how do they know she isn't covering for Athena?

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
It's weird that this game is labeled as "Phoenix Wright." I mean, I'm only on case 4, so I haven't beaten it yet, but so far, it feels like the game's revolved around Apollo and Athena, with Phoenix in the background. It feels like Apollo and Athena are the two protagonists, and Phoenix is the mentor who gives support every once in a while.

(case 4 investigation day 1 spoiler) So now it's weird that I'm playing as Nick again, when it doesn't feel like he has much to do with the overall plot. I've only played as him once for a short period of time at the start, and now everything feels like it's reaching the climax, and I'm suddenly Wright again.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Don't worry, you'll sort of feel why he's there by case 5, as both Athena and Apollo both end up ruled out by their issues. In a sense, case 5 for Phoenix is literally about the fact he is the boss - meaning he has to look after his subordinates and guide them back on the path when they go astray.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Honestly, if the sixth game continues the character dynamics we see in Dual Destinies, I think the localized version should just strip the Phoenix Wright from the title and just call it Ace Attorney.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

Considering how little screen-time Pearl and Maya got, it's drat near screaming for a post-case 5 DLC that features them.

I'm holding out for a case where you play as Athena with Trucy assisting, Ema Skye is the detective, and Maya, Pearl and Kay Faraday are all witnesses.

Speaking of Ema, I hope she turns up again, which seems likely considering Fullbright's obviously not going to be the go-to detective any more. I liked the idea of having one of the perky sidekicks grow up to be a cynical failure.

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 31, 2013

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

I just finished beating Case 3, and I thought it was one of the better third cases of the series. I'll admit I was misdirected somewhere in Day 2 because at first I thought Prof. Means might have been a suspect along with Hugh, but then everything piled up against Hugh (including the constant emphasis that only those three best of friends had the run of the campus before the mock trial), so I was pretty sure he was the suspect, but then he pointed out Means was absent too, so yeah.

The breakdown was probably my favourite so far. Loved Means gradually writing harsher and harsher punishments for himself with a sheepish grin on his face, all while being booed.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Case 3, day 2, Blackquill just walked out. God drat he is fantastic.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I actually beat the game a couple of days ago, but I'm lazy and am just getting around to sharing my thoughts now.

All in all? It's really good. I'm not one to rank each game individually or anything, so I'll settle for saying that it's the Ace Attorney game I've been waiting for since Trials and Tribulations came out, a desire that neither Apollo Justice or AAI really satisfied.

The first part of case 5 was a definite highlight. The entire thing was great, but the first trial part before the culprit took the stand was amongst my favorite court sections ever.

The 3D models were also surprisingly amazing. They look really good in motion, and I never found myself missing the sprites at all.

Also Thought Route is the first new court mechanic I can easily say I loved. It's just so satisfying.

e: Also, I'll probably update the OP sometime with the benefit of first hand information, instead of playing telephone with various websites and press releases.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Case 5 spoilers: I always wondered what a Phoenix freakout animation would look like. What we got was so much creepier than I imagined. :gonk:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Opposing Farce posted:

Oh, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Regalingualius posted:

The ending of that case easily trumps everything before it.

Oh geez, you weren't kidding. :psyboom:

Not only did we get the Not Guilty before IDing a culprit, for once, it turned out that they were... yeah okay, I'm not buying it. My kneejerk reaction to this is that it really was Starbuck and he's ultimately gonna get off via double jeopardy, or something. That doesn't really work with everything we proved in Case 4 though, so I guess that explains why Case 5 is the same but with a different defendant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
Can someone explain (Case 3 spoilers) how Hugh's necklace got on his neck. That thing looks like it's made of solid clay or something. Poor guy kinda lucked out since everyone else got bracelets, but hey, maybe he likes necklaces?

• Locked thread