Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Chaltab posted:

No, it really, really doesn't. To the graphics, sure, but honestly, it is a really fantastic game.

I dont even think Id call the graphics "good for Wii," they really look super butt ugly on a technical level. Of course the great art direction totally makes up for it, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

loudog999 posted:

I did think they may have put the wrong game in afterwards, but it checks out, it's wii u armored edition. I even thought that maybe it was for another region, but it says "Plays on Wii U systems sold for the Americas only" around the edge. I'm hoping it is a bad disc, I'm going to try to exchange it tomorrow. One thing, I did find a couple of small scratches but if it is the scratches that has caused this, my physical wii u games don't have a chance, they are really tiny.
Optical media can just be weird like that. I've had games, music CDs, and blu-ray movies where the disc looks pristine but just doesn't play for whatever reason. Meanwhile an older disc with visible scratches plays fine without a hitch. Often there is very little rhyme or reason to it. Don't be too worried about it!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is there a Miiverse for Sonic Lost World? I kept getting a error message every time I finished a level and when I went to investigate I noticed there wasn't a community for it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is there a Miiverse for Sonic Lost World? I kept getting a error message every time I finished a level and when I went to investigate I noticed there wasn't a community for it.

Yep, here's a browser link and a hilarious picture from it.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Word is there'll be another Nintendo Direct very soon, ie within the next day or so. Haven't heard about anything but third-party 3DS stuff in connection to this particular Direct, but there might be some Wii U news, who knows.

New Direct in like an hour.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Well there you go! Doesn't really help anyone in this thread, but I guess I wasn't completely wrong.

(Last time I got tipped off about a Direct I was told they'd be showing off a Plok reboot, I have no idea where that rumour came from...)

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

(Last time I got tipped off about a Direct I was told they'd be showing off a Plok reboot, I have no idea where that rumour came from...)

I wouldn't put it past John and Ste Pickford to start a rumour like that by themselves, just for a laugh.

http://www.zee-3.com/plok/index.php?comic=721

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Direct started a couple of minutes ago. The Mario World footage is gorgeous. Euro link.

Disregard this, I'm an idiot and got confused by a dumb counter they put up on the thing. It's showing a previous Direct.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 29, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Yeah the Direct was Japan-only and was for a Japan-only 3DS game.

I was hoping we would get at least a mini-Direct for Shin'en's new Wii U game which is supposed to be revealed today but I guess they aren't deserving :mad: They are totally deserving and are one of the best exclusive Nintendo developers around I hope the announcement rules

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

robodex posted:

I've tried now about 3 or 4 times to get into Xenoblade and I just can't. It's just not a very interesting game.

Wow! This whole time I though I was the only person on Earth who thought Xenoblade was dull. I tried the game hearing endless praise for it. I retried it several times but couldn't get invested in any aspect of it, story or gameplay related.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

SilverSupernova posted:

Wow! This whole time I though I was the only person on Earth who thought Xenoblade was dull. I tried the game hearing endless praise for it. I retried it several times but couldn't get invested in any aspect of it, story or gameplay related.

I love playing it but I tend to go several months in between playing it because it's so god drat dense. I can understand why some can't break through it but I get right immersed in it when I do play and if I don't have the hours to devote to it, I can't do it. I think I'm around 40 hours in and not even halfway through. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm poo poo at gem making.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I love playing it but I tend to go several months in between playing it because it's so god drat dense. I can understand why some can't break through it but I get right immersed in it when I do play and if I don't have the hours to devote to it, I can't do it. I think I'm around 40 hours in and not even halfway through. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm poo poo at gem making.

You pretty much have to be willing to lose yourself in it to play it. It's very time consumig.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Xenoblade is a good to very good game. It gets way overhyped because console RPGs are scarce as hell (let alone good ones), and it was one of the few good Wii games that came out when the release schedule started to majorly dry up. I'd say that people that like RPGs at all should try it but it's certainly not for everyone.

Totally unrelated, but here's Wayne "choke a bitch" Brady advertizing... Wii Party U?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1z8oAwAcII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g5BqmWp7aI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkV8Gm5pz80

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You pretty much have to be willing to lose yourself in it to play it. It's very time consumig.

Yeah exactly. It was great to play when unemployed or going to college. Not so much now I have full time employment. I get around three hours of leisure after work to do whatever and even that feels like not enough to play Xenoblade regularly again. I'll beat it someday.

EDIT: Wayne Brady is drat close to perfect to promote Wii U. Maybe not as perfect as Michael Fassbender seducing women (and men) to play Wii U but good enough.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

I dont even think Id call the graphics "good for Wii," they really look super butt ugly on a technical level. Of course the great art direction totally makes up for it, but still.

The landscapes and environments are gorgeous and make up for the horrifyingly bad textures and models. It really looks like a PS2 game when you see things up close. I didn't mind though because looking down at everything from way up and seeing all the landscape was awesome.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What's the deal with gem crafting in that game anyway? I did it once, but now the option always seems to be greyed out on the main menu and I can't select it. Also I'm like 30 hours in and just realized I can control different people in my party (but, still just one in any given battle, right?).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

njsykora posted:

That's really odd. Double checked just now and my system is up to date and it's still not showing up. I can go to the page via a friend posting there but I can't make my own posts or anything.

I wonder what's up with that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Minidust posted:

What's the deal with gem crafting in that game anyway? I did it once, but now the option always seems to be greyed out on the main menu and I can't select it. Also I'm like 30 hours in and just realized I can control different people in my party (but, still just one in any given battle, right?).

You have to either use the gem crafting station at Colony 9 (which you probably did on your first time), or get the portable gem furnace so you can do it anywhere (and you should). To get it, you need to raise all four buildings in Colony 6 to Level 1 and you'll get it as a reward. Take that to the gem guy in Colony 9 and you get your portable gem furnace.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If anyone is looking for a spoOoOoKy game to play since it's almost Halloween, you should buy ZombiU. I got it a couple of months ago but never got around to playing it until now. I'm really enjoying it though! I'm just wondering if I'm playing too conservatively because I have way too much ammo. If it's only one or two zombies I melee them to death, if it's 3 or more I tend to use a molotov or grenade. I had like 40-50 handgun bullets on me which already seemed like too much, then I found another player's zombie and got a bunch more ammo from that.

Everyone should also buy the Fatal Frame 2 remake because that's probably the best Wii horror game. (There's also Fatal Frame 4 but you have to softmod your Wii or something to apply the English fan translation patch so I haven't played that yet)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Silent Hill Shattered Memories is a good Halloween game. It isnt super scary, but more creepy and tense.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Shin'en's new game is FAST Racing NEO: http://fast.shinen.com/neo/

Never played the first one but heard good things about it so I have high hopes for this one. Hopefully it has online multi and not just leaderboards!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

Shin'en's new game is FAST Racing NEO: http://fast.shinen.com/neo/

Never played the first one but heard good things about it so I have high hopes for this one. Hopefully it has online multi and not just leaderboards!

If I recall it was more Wipeout than F-Zero but maybe they'll make this one more F-Zero since you can call it F-Neo and it'll sound like F-Zero :v:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there like a big list of upcoming releases with their dates?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

njsykora posted:

Is there a Miiverse for Tails Gets Trolled?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there like a big list of upcoming releases with their dates?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games

I typically check this, click on your region at the top and it will sort by release date.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Minidust posted:

Optical media can just be weird like that. I've had games, music CDs, and blu-ray movies where the disc looks pristine but just doesn't play for whatever reason. Meanwhile an older disc with visible scratches plays fine without a hitch. Often there is very little rhyme or reason to it. Don't be too worried about it!

Right on, exchange it for another used copy today and have been playing for an hour with no problems, I am really relieved. Its funny, I asked the guy at Gamestop if he had a wii u I can try this one in and he just said nope.. do the display models not work with retail discs?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Just got Sonic Lost World today, the gameplay is quite tough to get used to honestly, I've played the first level like two or three times to get the hang of it and I'm still not entirely used to it. I'll keep going at it in the mean time but I want to at least get through the first level without losing rings like a dumbass before I do anything else.

On the other hand its a loving gorgeous game like Generations or Unleashed and is quite a sight in 60fps (Which doesn't appear to drop or anything).

Also there's no Club Nintendo code, I was under the impression that 3rd party Wii U games would have those like most 3rd party 3DS games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Just got Sonic Lost World today, the gameplay is quite tough to get used to honestly, I've played the first level like two or three times to get the hang of it and I'm still not entirely used to it. I'll keep going at it in the mean time but I want to at least get through the first level without losing rings like a dumbass before I do anything else.

On the other hand its a loving gorgeous game like Generations or Unleashed and is quite a sight in 60fps (Which doesn't appear to drop or anything).

Also there's no Club Nintendo code, I was under the impression that 3rd party Wii U games would have those like most 3rd party 3DS games.

If you decide to do time trials something you should keep in mind is that the spin dash is the best way to go fast and keep your momentum. After you let go of ZL to spin dash, hold ZL again and you'll stay in the spin dash forever until you hit a wall or something. I'm about half way through the game and you pretty much need to do this for most of the S-Ranks. Sprinting isn't fast enough and you lose your momentum so easily.

It's not a bad game but I can't get over how slow it feels. At its fastest it feels like half the speed you're usually at in Sonic Generations.

E: Also my copy of the game came with a Club Nintendo code. I'm in the UK if that makes any difference

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

rear end Creed comparison here for anyone thinking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk9lto1l5WQ

Seems to be slightly better on the WiiU, texture/lighting wise. The stuttering on the WiiU capture is apparently due to it being a live stream rather than anything in game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There are articles floating around on Google news saying Nintendo is confirming the music in Super Mario 3D World will be orchestrated.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

There are articles floating around on Google news saying Nintendo is confirming the music in Super Mario 3D World will be orchestrated.

Call me odd but I wish they'd go with a synthesized score.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Call me odd but I wish they'd go with a synthesized score.

I doubt the game will be fully orchestrated. It's probably a mix.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you need another racer to hold you over until MK8, F1 Race Stars is hitting Wii U in December as an eShop release with some new content. I got it free on PS+ a while back and it's a pretty drat fine racer.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

More general Nintendo related than WiiU but this Sonic Generations Luigi mod is pretty well done!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
If anyone's interested in them my Target had the Mario and Luigi Wii remotes out for sale. I thought their actual release date was November 1st so it might be worth it to check depending on how impatient you are.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone had problems with ZombiU freezing? The game will just freeze and there'll be this loud buzzing noise until I turn the console off. It's happened 3 times now. (The most recent freeze being in the middle of the endgame and I just lost like an hour of progress) I also ran into some kind of loading glitch where none of the doors in Buckingham Palace would load so I was stuck and had to turn the game off.

The disc is fine so I was just wondering if it had happened to anyone else.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It happened to me a few times, yeah.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

greatn posted:

From the demo footage, some of it was synthesized, including the orchestral stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it was. All of the orchestral remixes in Nintendoland were synthesized, although they were very well synthesized.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Are those Mario & Luigi Wii Remotes a limited time only thing? Or will I be able to find them after Christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Constable Lemon posted:

Are those Mario & Luigi Wii Remotes a limited time only thing? Or will I be able to find them after Christmas?

They don't say limited edition on them anywhere so I imagine they will be available for a bit.

• Locked thread