Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I've done something similar, I think. It's written a bit oddly...what I did was let all those YOs off the needle at once, so you basically have one giant stitch. Then you knit into that stitch, but without taking the stitch off the needle, yarn forward and purl into the stitch, then yarn back and knit into it, etc, until you have 15 stitches coming out of one big rear end yarn over.

It's how you get those big holes in the edging there.

At least, that's how I read it! What a pretty pattern, I never saw that one before.

I know the conversation has moved on, but since I'm a single purl row away from using this advice, I wanted to say thank you, FelicityGS and Dead Cow. Between the help in this thread and staring at the chart until my eyes ached I think I might understand it. If I'm wrong I'll be back soon.

ETA: For gently caress's sake. I figured I was going to screw up somewhere, but I haven't even made it as far as knitting those extra stitches. I screwed up in the very first section of the YO row, and missed a couple of stitches. I thought I was slightly off because the stitches weren't matching up like I thought they should, but I ignored it and finished the loving row. Now I have to decide whether to rip the whole row out and start again (painfully slowly, because I didn't use a loving lifeline either) or just live with the fact that the edging will be slightly off.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
It's that time of year again....who wants to share their favorite non-traditional(ish) quick knits for Christmas ideas? We all know about hats, scarves, dishclothes, etc. If not, enjoy these neat patterns anyway.

Here's a super bulky hooded cowl I fell in love with this evening that gave me the idea to post.

These super easy fingerless mitts would scale to any weight with some swatching math magic, and easily made longer if so desired.

A mod on a perfect sphere pattern, these knit bucky balls are so fun! They're kinda snacked sized stress relievers if you're working on something complicated, too.

How about sleep masks? Kitty cat is a paid pattern, but there are a few free out there.

Adult sized headband with bow is pretty darned adorable.

And even a hexiflexigon for the geeks out there.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
So, I'd like to venture into sock making at some point or even work towards making a dead fish hat. While I'm still working through the scarves of newb skills (I'm on the ribbing stitch one, next is increases+decreases), I was wondering if there were any super simple hat patterns or sock patterns people liked for magic loop or knitting in the round on.

I don't know that I can pull off double pointed needles...

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Aerofallosov posted:

I was wondering if there were any super simple hat patterns or sock patterns people liked for magic loop or knitting in the round on.

This is a really simple hat and these are simple socks knit in DK.

I finished a shawl thingy! Please ignore my wonky rear end blocking.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

zamiel posted:

These super easy fingerless mitts would scale to any weight with some swatching math magic, and easily made longer if so desired.
I made these gloves for myself and the boyfriend and they're super easy to knit and modify. i posted about them recently because I finished the boyfriend's pair after having second mitten syndrome for months, and it took all of one night to make the second glove.

I made mine 4 stitches narrower because my hands were swimming in them, and added some stripes since I was using up remnant yarns. They also came out shorter than the pattern is written, but that's fine with me. I'm actually planning to make another (longer) pair in different colors since my current wardrobe doesn't have much red in it.

I'm also a fan of knitting Christmas ornaments. Last year I made tiny mittens and a stocking with leftover acrylic yarns, and crocheted a mushroom:

This year I crocheted pinecones and have plans to make crocheted snowmen, knitted baskets, and knitted balls.

I plan to make ornaments for my family and some close friends this year, so the simpler the better. Most likely it'll be mittens or stockings with 2013 embroidered on them for friends, yarn baskets for knitter/crocheter friends, and something prettier like the beaded balls for close family members.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Guys guys guys guys guys.

Guys.

I MADE SOCKS

:buddy:

(ignore the seaming on the left one, I decided to get really drunk before finishing it and forgot to redistribute stitches before reducing :(((( )

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

fuzzy_logic posted:

Guys guys guys guys guys.

Guys.

I MADE SOCKS

:buddy:

(ignore the seaming on the left one, I decided to get really drunk before finishing it and forgot to redistribute stitches before reducing :(((( )

The Happiest Socks! :buddy:

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I'm in the process of finishing my first sock that I started in a lys sock class I took. I'm surprised at how addicted I already am. They are the perfect project to just toss in my bag and most of it can be mindless knitting if I just want a plain sock. It's awesome and I'm a convert!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Ooo, thanks. And sock making sounds awesome.

That is a nifty shawl and those are cool socks.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Aerofallosov posted:

So, I'd like to venture into sock making at some point or even work towards making a dead fish hat. While I'm still working through the scarves of newb skills (I'm on the ribbing stitch one, next is increases+decreases), I was wondering if there were any super simple hat patterns or sock patterns people liked for magic loop or knitting in the round on.

I don't know that I can pull off double pointed needles...

That silvers sock class has 3 methods. Read em through, and pick one!

One Sock on
four Double Pointed Needles
*Easy - If you've never knit socks before, try this one first!

Two Toe-Up Socks
on one Circular Needle
*Moderate - For experienced sock knitters,
or adventurous newbies!

One Toe-Up Sock
on two Circular Needles
*Moderate - For experienced sock knitters,
or adventurous newbies!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
What's the advantage of one sock on two circulars? Two socks on one circular is a pretty obvious benefit, but if I'm just making one sock I might as well use DPNs. Is it just for people that like circs that much better, but don't want to deal with two at once?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

MarsDragon posted:

What's the advantage of one sock on two circulars? Two socks on one circular is a pretty obvious benefit, but if I'm just making one sock I might as well use DPNs. Is it just for people that like circs that much better, but don't want to deal with two at once?
One sock on two circs is sort of halfway in between dpns and regular circ. There's less needles to deal with for people who don't like dpns (and also less worry about stitches sliding off), and you don't have to magic loop for people who don't like that method either.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

It's easier to try on as you go.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I would really like to try and knit a hat on circulars, but I've heard that DPNs are usually preferred for this. What's the difference and where should I start?

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

wtftastic posted:

I would really like to try and knit a hat on circulars, but I've heard that DPNs are usually preferred for this. What's the difference and where should I start?

I have lots of DPNs, but I knit pretty much everything on circulars.

For hats, you'll want to either use circulars that are shorter than the diameter of the hat and then switch to dpns once you reduce to the point where the hat can't stretch all the way around the circs, or use circulars that are much bigger than than the diameter of the hat and use magic loop.

All y'all afraid of magic loop need to just try it. There's nothing complicated or difficult in it and often it's so much easier than dpns.

Knitting one sock on two circs has the added bonus of not pulling the stitches apart as can happen when using magic loop (especially when you're magic looping with too-short needles) which can cause laddering.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Circulars limit the circumference of what you can make (general you should use a cord that's shorter than the circumference of your knitted item, though not so short that your stitches are popping off), at least if you're using them traditionally and not doing magic or traveling loop. DPNs don't have a circumference limit, though some people find them fiddly, especially for the first few rounds.

The thing with hats though is they get smaller at the top, so you can't really knit the entire thing on circulars unless you do use one of the loop methods. So if you are doing a bottom up hat (cast on for the brim and decrease for the crown shaping) on circulars, you will eventually have to change your method when the stitches are too few to fit around your cord. You can absolutely use DPNs from start to finish, provided they're long enough to accommodate your stitches without slipping off either end, though a lot of beginners get nervous trying to juggle them. I personally (and recommend to people not comfortable with DPNs but want to learn) to start off with a 16 or 20" circular for an adult hat, and switch to DPNs when the decreases make it hard to keep going. That way you have a relatively stable bit of fabric made that keeps the stitches from sliding around too much when you switch.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's hard to get circs in a small enough diameter for a hat, and you'd still need to switch to DPNs for the decreases anyway, so it's easier to just do the whole thing on DPNs. Don't be scared!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Anne Whateley posted:

It's hard to get circs in a small enough diameter for a hat, and you'd still need to switch to DPNs for the decreases anyway, so it's easier to just do the whole thing on DPNs. Don't be scared!

I bought a set of DPNs to try out (I had some left over yarn I figured I could make into a hat), but they get all tangled and weird the second I try to do anything with them. Are there any good tutorials available for DPN newbies?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

wtftastic posted:

I bought a set of DPNs to try out (I had some left over yarn I figured I could make into a hat), but they get all tangled and weird the second I try to do anything with them. Are there any good tutorials available for DPN newbies?

That's my problem with DPNs too...the second I start on those all of my fingers become retarded and it's very :downs: how do I yarn :downs: so I gave up on making anything on DPNs.

A nice tutorial would be good though, because darned if I can figure out how to not make my stitches all loose and stupid.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

If you use magic loop hat tops are perfectly doable. You don't need to use dpns for hats.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah sorry, you can do a hat using magic loop on a very long circular. If you're using one hat-sized circ, that's when you have to switch to DPNs anyway.

I personally think magic loop is a pain in the rear end. The only part of DPNs I find marginally tricky is casting on. I cast all the stitches onto one needle, then slip some onto the others as needed. Make sure it's not twisted, which I find easier on DPNs. I cast on one extra stitch and k2tog the first and last to join, then go to town. I can't look right now, but can you find a tutorial on YouTube? That's where I learned it.

The only protip is to have needles that provide a good amount of friction so you don't have to worry about dropping stitches when you're learning. Clover bamboo is fine. I'd try to avoid metal or plastic, especially if your yarn is also slippery.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
One thing that can make dpns a bit easier is to knit the first few rows flat and then join in the round - it's much easier to keep it from getting twisted that way, and it's also going to sort of...hold it's own shape a bit. You do have a tiny seam to sew up then, but it's just a few stitches.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah sorry, you can do a hat using magic loop on a very long circular. If you're using one hat-sized circ, that's when you have to switch to DPNs anyway.

I personally think magic loop is a pain in the rear end. The only part of DPNs I find marginally tricky is casting on. I cast all the stitches onto one needle, then slip some onto the others as needed. Make sure it's not twisted, which I find easier on DPNs. I cast on one extra stitch and k2tog the first and last to join, then go to town. I can't look right now, but can you find a tutorial on YouTube? That's where I learned it.

The only protip is to have needles that provide a good amount of friction so you don't have to worry about dropping stitches when you're learning. Clover bamboo is fine. I'd try to avoid metal or plastic, especially if your yarn is also slippery.

Yeah I already got a pair of metal ones, so unfortunately its a little late for that- they've been seeing a lot of action as cable stitch holders.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Winter Thaw completed.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Dead Cow posted:

That silvers sock class has 3 methods. Read em through, and pick one!

Ooo, thanks. I'll probably go with the middle one. DPNs intimidate me and I have terrible hand coordination.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

left_unattended posted:

Winter Thaw completed.

Gosh that's pretty. You've almost convinced me to finish my winter thaw--it's sitting two rows from done.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I'm one triangle and the collar away from finishing my wingspan. I've only been working on it a year. That's okay, right?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

GabrielAisling posted:

I'm one triangle and the collar away from finishing my wingspan. I've only been working on it a year. That's okay, right?

I've had a cardigan on the needles for about 8 months. I haven't got past the shoulder increases. Perfectly okay.

And Felicity, you should definitely finish yours. It's lovely and light and so pretty.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Anne Whateley posted:

What? No. How small is your head if you're having trouble finding small enough circular needles for a hat? 40 cm (16 inches) is just fine, I use it for adult and kid hats. I don't think changing to DPNs is a big deal at all, I'd rather start on a circular and change to DPNs than cast on to DPNs and do the fiddly first couple of rounds.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
On Ravelry, a number of independent designers are having a sale from November 1st to the 15th. There's some good stuff in there, if you want to look.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

left_unattended posted:

Winter Thaw completed.

Yay! It looks awesome.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

MarsDragon posted:

On Ravelry, a number of independent designers are having a sale from November 1st to the 15th. There's some good stuff in there, if you want to look.

Ooooh, it ends on my birthday! *plots out what to buy*

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Jumping in on the dpn discussion, I use them in various lengths for everything, there's a relatively-local company called brittany birch that makes wooden needles with very high friction if you're like me and tend to fire stitches off the end constantly. They give you five so you can use four to knit and the fifth is for if when you accidentally snap one :ohdear:

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Hi knitting thread! I've been knitting off and on for years, usually like a week of knitting followed by an entire year or more of not even thinking of yarn, but I'm always surrounded by knitting because my mom is an obsessive knitter. From one project to the next, it's like she's a chain smoker but with yarn and needles :)

But so I got the itch and found an old project from like two years ago where I attempted a circular scarf and so I ripped it up and then re-did it k2p2 on circular needles and whipped it out in two days!

And now it's totally a virus and spreading because I immediately moved onto another ball of yarn I had and decided to do a seed stitch scarf and I got this far in only like two hours while marathoning Roseanne...

And basically I'm so happy :') My next project is going to be some scarves for my friends and I think I'm going to attempt a beanie on my smaller set of circular needles for my bff. One of the best parts of having a mom that's so obsessive about knitting is I barely ever have to buy materials!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Turns out my 88-year-old grandma who has been knitting forever has never heard of magic loop. She saw my hat and she said I had a very even hand. :3:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

MarsDragon posted:

There's also a knit-a-long in that group where you can win neat prizes.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 31, 2013

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I found a yarn shop nearby my new place, but my boyfriend is being a jerk and won't take me. Something about moving all the furniture from one room into another being far more important than me scoping out a possible location for knit nights.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Right now and for the next several hours, Norway is broadcasting a national knitting event that you can watch here. Lots of talking to knitters, famous or non, showing different kinds of knitting or precursors to knitting like needle binding, talking about some techniques, lots of fun stuff. Hopefully there will be VODs at some point too in case you miss it or want to rewatch a section.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Right now and for the next several hours, Norway is broadcasting a national knitting event that you can watch here. Lots of talking to knitters, famous or non, showing different kinds of knitting or precursors to knitting like needle binding, talking about some techniques, lots of fun stuff. Hopefully there will be VODs at some point too in case you miss it or want to rewatch a section.

My god, the woman who is colour blocking now is a monster. She is knitting "slowly" and her hands are hard still to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I only got to watch them knitting the sweater about three hours in, so I missed all the other sections (which I would have loved to see). I have never seen a spinning wheel at work, so this has been super cool to watch. I ended up sewing buttons on my cardigan while watching. I think they are also getting loopy from the lack of sleep, so right now they are laughing their asses off.