Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

New Leaf posted:

Christ, you guys must be much more levelled than I am.. I can't even touch those fights.

I'm using a lvl 51 4/4/5 classic storm, a lvl 51 5/3/5 Thor (bad skill assignment but whatever), and a level 41 3/3/3 spiderman. And that poo poo is still ridiculous. I don't bother with it, it's not worth the sacrificed iso I could get from looking for easy wins in the training room pvp with the same team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, I look at it this way -- grinding tough guys is about to get me a Spider-Man Classic Blue in the next couple of days. (1229/1500 with 4d 12h to go.)

Today's repeatable is a bit more daunting, however: Daken 69, Bullseye 69, Muscle 150 for 7 Red. (With Spider-Man Classic FORCED. That's a new wrinkle.)

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Looks like the most recent update has fixed the facebook friend limitation - I just got rewards from like 18 people :stare:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I got a 2 star recruit reward. I got The Hood. Now I have Megneto Classic, Black Widow Classic, and The Hood with all one ability. I don't want to get rid of them in case they are needed or I get a second one (I did that with Daken, I would have a 5/1 if I didn't sell him, but now I am using a 1/1 Daken for this tournament).

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Fritzler posted:

I got a 2 star recruit reward. I got The Hood. Now I have Megneto Classic, Black Widow Classic, and The Hood with all one ability. I don't want to get rid of them in case they are needed or I get a second one (I did that with Daken, I would have a 5/1 if I didn't sell him, but now I am using a 1/1 Daken for this tournament).

I have five 3-star characters and today was the first time I got a second cover for one of them (gray BW). Even then, she doesn't cut it against any of my veteran 1-star characters; I guess I'd need another three or four covers to consider replacing one of my main dudes, so maybe in 2015.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I'm really liking my Daken/Classic Storm/Thor team. Daken is mostly filler, but I've got his purple up to 5 to get the two tiles, so he's pretty useful. He also actually does purple and black damage.

I find value in all three of Storm's abilities - the retaliation is incredible, the group-hit is great, and even her board-clearing ability can come through in a pinch for clearing out attack tiles, dealing a little more damage, shuffling things around and generating more AP. I just wish she were a little sturdier. Thor is a monster, though I kind of hate his green ability.

And it always bears repeating - USE YOUR BUFFS. They're really useful against those level 60 assholes.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I'm just starting out, and I feel like I'm stuck with decision paralysis regarding who I should spend ISO8 leveling up and who I should sell. I absolutely hate having cards in the card cache but I can't help not wanting to let go of heroes, it seems like everyone has something to offer. (And what if I get more covers of them later?!)

Right now I'm sitting on:
1/1/3 Modern Storm
1/3 Modern Black Widow
2/3/1 Model 35 Iron Man
1/2/1 BagMan Spiderman
1/2 Yelena Belova
1/1 Classic Hawkeye
0/1/0 Modern Captain America
1/0/0 Modern Hawkeye
1/0 Daken

Are some of these just, outrageously useless? It feels like everybody could be at least somewhat useful.
(For the record nobody is above level 10 so pretty well anybody is on the table to get the axe)

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 30, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm waffling on my Bag-Man. I hardly ever use him but his abilities just sound so useful! And if Yelena didnt get a ridiculous 200% buff she'd be out the door right now.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Poulpe posted:

I'm just starting out, and I feel like I'm stuck with decision paralysis regarding who I should spend ISO8 leveling up and who I should sell. I absolutely hate having cards in the card cache but I can't help not wanting to let go of heroes, it seems like everyone has something to offer. (And what if I get more covers of them later?!)

Right now I'm sitting on:
1/1/3 Modern Storm
1/3 Modern Black Widow
2/3/1 Model 35 Iron Man
1/2/1 BagMan Spiderman
1/2 Yelena Belova
1/1 Classic Hawkeye
0/1/0 Modern Captain America
1/0/0 Modern Hawkeye
1/0 Daken

Are some of these just, outrageously useless? It feels like everybody could be at least somewhat useful.
(For the record nobody is above level 10 so pretty well anybody is on the table to get the axe)

Yelena, Bagman, and Classic Hawkeye are all sell on sight for me. The rest can be useful and Modern Hawkeye can be a beast at higher levels.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
With the way events work nothing should be sold really. Even bad characters may end up useful due to ridiculous damage bonuses or character restrictions. Bagman is highly likely to be a featured character in next week's PVP event since it's one of the top rewards. Just feed all the covers to one main unlevelled Bag Man and only sell extras when a skill is maxed.

If you're using all your free premium currency for extra inventory slots you should be fine.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Haha today's repeatable fight is crazy. Level 150 maggia minion + 2 high level villains.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
What's up with my placements? I just completed the first red ISO event and got ranked 300 out of 1000 people. It's almost tempting me to level up faster and go for something better :psyduck:

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I don't like your odds, it's been progressively getting harder - I'm not even bothering to attempt the 2 Villain + 150 guy, I didn't attempt the repeatable stuff yesterday either. It seems they decided that the repeatable minion only missions were too easy since you could back out with no damage taken if things didn't go your way and you had a timer with 1 turn left and no way out.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

WetSpink posted:

I don't like your odds, it's been progressively getting harder - I'm not even bothering to attempt the 2 Villain + 150 guy, I didn't attempt the repeatable stuff yesterday either. It seems they decided that the repeatable minion only missions were too easy since you could back out with no damage taken if things didn't go your way and you had a timer with 1 turn left and no way out.

Maybe they decided they're too easy since people were beating them almost 1000 times

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The only team I'm clearing today's repeatable with (no boosts) is Captain America w/L5 Peacemaker and Storm Classic with Spidey, cherry-picking levels carefully to make sure that I can use Spidey like a hat on a stick. Poke him out there by matching purple first, he gets blasted, Storm responds with Raging Tempest, repeat. If you run out of purples early, retreat. If he dies too soon, retreat. If the Muscle's first Tommy Gun pops up somewhere you can't get at, retreat. The idea is to avoid any damage to Storm or your heavy hitter (I prefer Cap for his Countdown tile neutralization but a Thor is fun too) until you're sure you can get it down to just the Muscle. Once it's one-on-one he's just a big hunka hit points.

This works, maybe, one out of 15 times with my guys but that's still 7 points at a time. I want my goddamn Spider-Man Blue cover. :colbert:

Also, the repeatable has gotten harder but today was very generous with red points in the normal missions -- 30 apiece, wasn't it?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

MeramJert posted:

Maybe they decided they're too easy since people were beating them almost 1000 times

And those of us who aren't as high level on most of our characters are always behind and can't repeat anything, which would make the gap even bigger.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If it'll make you feel any better, I'm not in this for the placement rewards (the Iron Man 40 is, well, puzzling in its design). The progression rewards for this one, on the other hand, are pretty good.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I'm #125 in the red ISO event and I haven't touched the repeatables at all (because I'm nowhere near able to handle them). I just want an Iron Man Model 40 card, but I think it's just gonna end up sitting in my collection forever unless it starts dropping from more events.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If it's anything like the Cap and Hawkeye cards, it's a good bet. Also earned my last cap power today so he's a well rounded team member now.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Does the Standard Recruit roll include every possible card, and the Heroic Recruit roll just excludes 1-star cards? I know I got a few three-stars from the Standard roll (Doom, Grey Widow) but I'm not sure if it can give Classic Spiderman or X-Force Wolverine.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whatever cards flip through the rotation on the graphic for that option only.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Here's what all the fuss is about:

Iron Man (Model 40)
3 Star Rarity (Rare)

Unibeam - Red 13 AP
Tony Stark diverts all power to a focused energy beam fired from Model 40's chest. Deals 473 damage and costs 4 of the team's AP in every other color.
Level Upgrades
* Level 2: 10% damage
* Level 3: Drains 3 AP from other colors.
* Level 4: 10% damage
* Level 5: Drains 2 AP from other colors.

Ballistic Salvo - Blue 20 AP
Fires charged homing missiles. They do 355 damage to each enemy and crater the battlefield, destroying 3 basic tiles. Uses reserve power, sapping 3 AP from other AP colors.
Level Upgrades
* Level 2: 10% damage
* Level 3: Reduces non-Blue AP drain to 2.
* Level 4: 10% damage
* Level 5: Stuns current target for 2 turns.

Recharge - Yellow 6 AP
Recharges weapon systems. Creates 3 Countdown tiles that activate after 2 turns, restoring 3 Red AP each. Iron Man is then stunned for 2 turns as systems reinitialize.
Level Upgrades
* Level 2: Each Countdown tile also restores 3 Blue AP. Costs 8 AP.
* Level 3: Each Countdown tile also restores 2 Green AP. Costs 10 AP.
* Level 4: Each Countdown tile also restores 2 Purple AP. Costs 12 AP.
* Level 5: Each Countdown tile also restores 2 Black AP. Costs 14 AP.

So... two attacks with fuckoff base damage but huge costs and multi-color drains, and Countdown tiles that you'd better hope don't get matched.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
But I have to catch them all!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Had some coins saved up so I dipped into the Villains pool hoping to either level up my Darkvengers, ended up with both Loki abilities. :woop:

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Wow, that is a very underwhelming list for Iron Man 40. I'm almost tempted to tank just a tad to get the blue Hawkeye - I've already got one of each of his other abilities, and the blue looks like the best.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Does anyone know if it's possible to use something like Titanium Backup to save your progress, then start over with the intention of going back to your original game? I kind of want to memory edit cheat myself to infinite gold and iso-8 and do something like buy 1000 covers from the cover store and spreadsheet it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I thought Model 40 would be a Darkvengers Iron Man. Everyone else gets one.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

McDragon posted:

Nah they treat iron man like a god in this game. His poo poo will neve stink.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

McDragon posted:

Iron Man and Captain America both get the same one, which is Iron Patriot.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ugh, I just threw 100 coins at the Dark Avengers slot machine and got a Venom cover. That will teach me to never use coins for anything except cover space upgrades!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bahahahahah! Yeah, check out the available prizes and expect the worst.

edit: Maybe I should stop buying cover slots, it's going to cost me 200 coins for the next one.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 31, 2013

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Any ideas on how to spec Bag Man Spidey? I've got 2 blue covers hanging around and taking up precious space since I'm not sure if I want to push his skill all the way to 5.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
Is anyone else who has been playing this on Android finding that it is causing Media server to keep running in the background?

Even after i stop playing i find media server has been keeping my phone awake for 9 hours and my battery has been murdered

Note 3 if it makes any difference

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Skam posted:

Is anyone else who has been playing this on Android finding that it is causing Media server to keep running in the background?

Even after i stop playing i find media server has been keeping my phone awake for 9 hours and my battery has been murdered

Oh, THAT's why the media server has been destroying my battery recently. The other day I didn't even use my phone much at all and it reported Media Server had used 36% of my battery and Puzzle Quest had used an additional 21%.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Skam posted:

Yes, I noticed that the other day but wasn't sure what was causing it. I'm not sure how to prevent it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
How well do you have to place in the Dark Avengers tournament to get a prize once it's done? I'm about 9-10 place in my bracket right now. Is it just a Moonstone prize?

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
Just got Thor's yellow ability so he's finally got all 3. I find that Thor, Modern Storm, and Modern Black widow is a great board clearing, stunning team of shenanigans.

Thor can make yellow/green which powers Storm's 16 tile boardwrecker, while his red makes yellows for his boardwrecker, Black widow steals and stuns everyone, and it's just cascade after cascade.

I also noticed, that the hint the computer gives you, is actually the move it will make if a 4 in a row isn't present for it. I've tested it a bit, and not sure if it's absolutely true so take it with a grain of salt. Everytime I waited till it popped up, and matched something else, it always went for that move it was showing me in the hint.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I love that the computer will always match a 4 straight over a 5 line. It is the best.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Fallorn posted:

I love that the computer will always match a 4 straight over a 5 line. It is the best.

It also has some of the best luck I've ever seen in some rare cases. On mine it cleared a vertical row of 4 to the top of the screen and left a single yellow tile open below, and it just so happened that the next 4 tiles to spawn were also yellow and it demolished me. Why can't I ever be that lucky? :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

How well do you have to place in the Dark Avengers tournament to get a prize once it's done? I'm about 9-10 place in my bracket right now. Is it just a Moonstone prize?

Tap the box up top with your ranking, then the tab on the bottom right that say "event rewards."