Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Gave the old hotness (VTR250) a wash, tried to bring the chain back from the dead (not sure I succeeded, it was pretty notchy), and rode it to the mechanic for a roadworthy slip so I can re-register it and get it ready for sale.

Holy gently caress what a janky bike to ride it is now that I'm used to the Street Triple R. Tiny, gutless, not particularly comfortable, lovely brakes... Loving the Streety and I can see how you get used to the power and speed. I gave the VTR a good squirt off the lights and it just felt like it was going nowhere fast. Of course, the flipside is that the Streety is a bit of a chore to keep at suburban speed limits.

And now think that the VTR is probably the most powerful and sporty in-production 250 on the market. ;) Still loving the poo poo out of mine commuting on it every day, even with four other bikes in the garage to choose from.

Going from the Duke back to the Triple on the weekend is just boring now, because it gives absolutely no shits about what gear you're riding it in and you can't even top out first gear before there's a police helicopter and a TV crew tailing you. Also I can't get it to do power wheelies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wish I could afford a second bike. I'd buy an sv650 or something even smaller and shittier and commute every day on it. Commuting in a car sucks balls but doing it on a litersport isn't much better. I'm still taking the bike to work every other day but I know it's really bad for my wallet and the bike. I didn't think about this enough.

What I'm saying is I want a vtr250.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Psssh, big bikes are still not comparable to a car for commuting. The V-Max is my daily commuter which is <10 miles of bumper to bumper traffic in an area where lane splitting is illegal. Ironically the mpg's go down for me in the Summer because the engine warms up fast enough for me to launch between lights without a care in the world. My worst tank of gas is still 26 mpg.

All but the most boring econoboxes or hybrids are going to be hard pressed to get that in city traffic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Halo_4am posted:

Psssh, big bikes are still not comparable to a car for commuting. The V-Max is my daily commuter which is <10 miles of bumper to bumper traffic in an area where lane splitting is illegal. Ironically the mpg's go down for me in the Summer because the engine warms up fast enough for me to launch between lights without a care in the world. My worst tank of gas is still 26 mpg.

All but the most boring econoboxes or hybrids are going to be hard pressed to get that in city traffic.

Mileage isn't my problem, it's the fact that I'm doing 60km a day, most of it in a straight line, which just obliterates sporty tyres. On top of which it's a huge amount of not-fun mileage on my bike, giving me wear and tear and ageing for no return at all. I'd rather have something common and cheap that I can beat on while still reaping the benefits of good mileage and drastically reduced commute times, with my nice bike saved for outside rush-hour donging.

I'd sell my car and buy a 250 if my car were worth anything, but I'd struggle to get $500 for it :v:

edit: to clarify, the reason I can't afford owning two bikes is because the registration fee for my zx10 is about $650 a year; a sub-600cc is still around $550/year. My car, on the other hand, has the rego 'on hold' which I theoretically can't legally drive on, but no cop has ever ticketed me for it. This costs me nothing.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 31, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

...until you meet the pissy cop who does ticket you for it, and you have to pay more than your car's worth in fines.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

...until you meet the pissy cop who does ticket you for it, and you have to pay more than your car's worth in fines.

It's a $200 dollar fine. I would have to get three fines for it per year to make it more expensive than paying the $450 registration fee.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Reminds me of this person who calculated occurrence rates of passless citations ($30) for the school parking lot and weighed it against buying a parking pass for the quarter ($170). Found it was cheaper to drive dirty every day because he could theoretically only get caught with a realistic occurrence rate of 4 times per quarter, before factoring in car placement in the lot. Ended up forging a permit and never getting caught. :madmax:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Xovaan posted:

Reminds me of this person who calculated occurrence rates of passless citations ($30) for the school parking lot and weighed it against buying a parking pass for the quarter ($170). Found it was cheaper to drive dirty every day because he could theoretically only get caught with a realistic occurrence rate of 4 times per quarter, before factoring in car placement in the lot. Ended up forging a permit and never getting caught. :madmax:

I went to a certain school in Arizona that gave out little stickers to people with motorcycles - adding a motorcycle to a car pass didn't cost anything and there was no serial number on the motorcycle passes to link them to an owner. You had to register your vehicles with parking services via plate though. Never got ticketed for having a fake sticker. Yep.

Slavvy posted:

Mileage isn't my problem, it's the fact that I'm doing 60km a day, most of it in a straight line, which just obliterates sporty tyres. On top of which it's a huge amount of not-fun mileage on my bike, giving me wear and tear and ageing for no return at all. I'd rather have something common and cheap that I can beat on while still reaping the benefits of good mileage and drastically reduced commute times, with my nice bike saved for outside rush-hour donging.

I'd sell my car and buy a 250 if my car were worth anything, but I'd struggle to get $500 for it :v:

edit: to clarify, the reason I can't afford owning two bikes is because the registration fee for my zx10 is about $650 a year; a sub-600cc is still around $550/year. My car, on the other hand, has the rego 'on hold' which I theoretically can't legally drive on, but no cop has ever ticketed me for it. This costs me nothing.
Buy some Pilot Road 3s, realize that they are every bit as capable as a hypersport tire until you start pushing them on the track, laugh at people running Q2s to commute.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Buy some Pilot Road 3s, realize that they are every bit as capable as a hypersport tire until you start pushing them on the track, laugh at people running Q2s to commute.

I've heard this theory before but I'm really reluctant to shell out the $600 and find out it isn't true. Not to mention, as I said earlier, there are other reasons for not wanting to commute on the zx10.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I've heard this theory before but I'm really reluctant to shell out the $600 and find out it isn't true. Not to mention, as I said earlier, there are other reasons for not wanting to commute on the zx10.

Get a scooter if another bike is too much.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

Get a scooter if another bike is too much.

I'm honestly thinking about it, but because traffic is hit-and-miss I don't relish the thought of trying to do 120km/h on a scooter when there's a good day. I'm going to start scouring my local craigslist equivalent for a lovely 250.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
ohshit

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 31, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

It's seriously true - they'll operate better in any normal riding condition excepting really, really aggressive street riding on hot days.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Z3n posted:

It's seriously true - they'll operate better in any normal riding condition excepting really, really aggressive street riding on hot days.

Mine has a tendency to slide the rear under heavy braking but that's as much hamfootedness as anything else.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

The only thing I think that gets people really riled up about PRs is that the front is a much rounder profile than most "sporty" tyres which translates to slower turning/changes in direction (or at least needing a tad more countersteering effort). That takes all of thirty seconds to adjust to but you'll still get people, put off by that first corner surprise, insisting that they're basically car tyres.

(But seconding the love for them - I've never had a tyre that feels so planted in the wet, it's almost supernatural sometimes)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Slavvy posted:

I've commuted on my SV650 for the better part of 3 years everyday. I get around 42mpg on a mostly highway, 20mi boring route with three stop signs. Three months ago I got very sick and for safety (dizzy spells, sudden tiredness) started driving to work. Now that I'm finally getting to the point where I feel safe getting back on the bike I'm tempted to stick with the car for commuting. I get better mpg (50mpg VW TDI), maintenance/tires is cheaper per mile, I can't lane split legally anyway and I don't have to worry as much about some rear end in a top hat not seeing me and putting me in the hospital.

Don't get me wrong though, I love my bikes and love riding it's just after having a few months to reflect a bit and think I may be changing how I use my bikes. It also struck me when I first got sick that I hadn't actually taken the SV out for a ride other than commuting in months because I'd been so busy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't imagine living in a hellhole where splitting is illegal. My car ride home takes 90 minutes on a good day. My bike ride home takes 25 minutes.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

California (New Zealand?) supremacy. :smugdog:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I can't imagine living in a hellhole where splitting is illegal. My car ride home takes 90 minutes on a good day. My bike ride home takes 25 minutes.

Ha, yeah. Bus/car takes about 45 minutes to get over the bridge, my bike takes 15. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Odette posted:

Ha, yeah. Bus/car takes about 45 minutes to get over the bridge, my bike takes 15. :v:

gently caress the center lanes on a bike though. They're so narrow and people have no perception of the volume their car takes up so they drive over a meter from the barriers.

Xovaan posted:

California (New Zealand?) supremacy. :smugdog:

:smuggo: now if only our speed limits weren't so laughably low.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Reminds me, actually. I had this guy come into my store all the time back when I worked at Starbucks. Thick glasses and completely unintelligible, always made a beeline to my station to talk to me. Nearly every day, for weeks-- about his stocking job at Home Depot and really that's about it, mostly because I just couldn't understand him. Was really into talking to me specifically, too. I honest to god thought this guy was mentally retarded and my iron will kept me nodding and ultra polite for nearly a month.

Well, it turns out that he was actually my friend's friend and knew me by proxy. Also he was gay and from New Zealand.

Everything just kind of made sense at that point. v :) v

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've commuted on my SV650 for the better part of 3 years everyday. I get around 42mpg on a mostly highway, 20mi boring route with three stop signs. Three months ago I got very sick and for safety (dizzy spells, sudden tiredness) started driving to work. Now that I'm finally getting to the point where I feel safe getting back on the bike I'm tempted to stick with the car for commuting. I get better mpg (50mpg VW TDI), maintenance/tires is cheaper per mile, I can't lane split legally anyway and I don't have to worry as much about some rear end in a top hat not seeing me and putting me in the hospital.

Don't get me wrong though, I love my bikes and love riding it's just after having a few months to reflect a bit and think I may be changing how I use my bikes. It also struck me when I first got sick that I hadn't actually taken the SV out for a ride other than commuting in months because I'd been so busy.

I've gone thru phases where I ride for different reasons, it happens. For a while I wouldn't ride unless it was a long backroad ride because puttering thru town seemed like 'what's the point?' Now I'll ride anywhere provided the weather isn't god awful, because I enjoy it more than being in the car.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

gently caress the center lanes on a bike though. They're so narrow and people have no perception of the volume their car takes up so they drive over a meter from the barriers.

I never go in the centre, even if it's windy. I just like having the option to split, and the centre lanes are far too narrow. Sure is going to suck when they remove the Nippon clipons though. :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Living out west supremacy :smug: the upper harbour highway is basically completely unmonitored and appears to be designed with everyone driving McLaren f1's in mind.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Z3n posted:

Yeah, I had PR2's on my SV650 and they were incredible. Just wish I could get them on my 500. :(

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yeah, I had PR2's on my SV650 and they were incredible. Just wish I could get them on my 500. :(

I'm using the PR3s on my SV650 right now as a full-time commuter in Seattle. Holy poo poo do I love them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've never had PR2s but I am very happy with the 3s.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, I rode my newly-repainted motorcycle to drill today, and it was good. Unfortunately, on the way home, one of the battery connections came loose, and I blew my voltage meter and every bulb on the bike. I hate that the regulator/rectifier uses the battery as a reference voltage instead of some internal zener diode setup or something, so whenever the battery becomes disconnected I end up with 50V or so coursing through every wire frying everything it touches.

Thankfully the CDI ignition unit can (somehow?) handle it and I still rode it the rest of the way home. This has happened before - the CDI is :black101:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Bummer...have you considered a fuse?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are fuses everywhere, but a fuse protects based on current instead of voltage (at the voltages I'm dealing with, 12-50V), so the bulbs always end up blowing before the fuse does.

Of course, I texted my father (electrician, both residential and for 35 years as an A/V repairman) and he texted back immediately :

dad posted:

Zener diode would have to be part of a series regulator or a crowbar protection circuit (using a series SCR) to protect the light bulbs .

Looked it up and he's right, again. If I used it in series with a properly-sized fuse, it should blow the fuse before it damages the stator or R/R, or I can make an active crowbar using a relay (easier than a MOFSET for the current I'm dealing with, about 5-10A at 12V with the headlight on). Either is easy. Or, I can get a 12-50V to 12V series DC-DC regulator off of ebay for $20 or so and hope it works.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 2, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

POR-15'd my tank. The varnish removal stuff in step one is some serious poo poo - after sloshing it around for 20 minutes it came out an opaque orange-brown. :gonk:

Now I just have to wait four days for it to cure.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The varnish removal stuff in step one is some serious poo poo - after sloshing it around for 20 minutes it came out an opaque orange-brown. :gonk:

It's basically just xylene, IIRC. Definitely a powerful solvent that you don't want to be inhaling if you can help it, but it won't kill you. (Immediately).

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Time for some new front brake pads, didn't realise just how bad they had gotten!

Old

New

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Rode for the first time after a week of torrential rain.

It's still raining, I just decided to deal with it.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Replaced the bolts holding the numberplate on after one backed out on the way to work. Old bolts had phillips heads and I never have a screwdriver on me.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I ordered a new petcock. $120 later. Hopeful that this fixes my disappearing fuel issues. :goleft:

Forgot to order rear brakes though. :argh:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Man you've thrown a lot of good money after a rather crap bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

I ordered a new petcock. $120 later. Hopeful that this fixes my disappearing fuel issues. :goleft:

Forgot to order rear brakes though. :argh:

New as in new Suzuki? Or new as in new aftermarket?

n8r posted:

Man you've thrown a lot of good money after a rather crap bike.

Shouldn't you be off ruining some kid's Christmas or something?

Content:

Still waiting for the suspension guy to finish my forks. drat showa and their special tools bullshit, but it was free so I'm not complaining. I'm just hoping he screws all the settings back to how I had them, I had it set up so well but forgot to write anything down, because I am a dumbass.

Fairings have since been put back on after polishing. Results are average; better than before but not brilliant.

edit: the ammo box isn't holding the bike up, it just happens to be there

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

POR-15 finished curing on my 500R's tank, put the whole thing back together, filled it up, and it started! Still won't come off choke though, so my half-rear end attempt at cleaning the carbs doesn't seem like it worked and I'll have to do it "right" this time. Oh well.

At least it got warm enough to change the oil. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Slavvy posted:

New as in new Suzuki? Or new as in new aftermarket?

Shouldn't you be off ruining some kid's Christmas or something?

Content:

Still waiting for the suspension guy to finish my forks. drat showa and their special tools bullshit, but it was free so I'm not complaining. I'm just hoping he screws all the settings back to how I had them, I had it set up so well but forgot to write anything down, because I am a dumbass.

Fairings have since been put back on after polishing. Results are average; better than before but not brilliant.

edit: the ammo box isn't holding the bike up, it just happens to be there

Nice bike :hfive:

OEM petcock. I only paid $1200 for the bike so really now it's still a stupid cheap bike after insurance, maintenance, tires, etc.