Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Asehujiko posted:

I liked pissing all over that giant metal snake :(

You still can, piercing weapons wreck him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

President Ark posted:

Basically having certain things at endgame be grossly overpowered and other things that aren't is only fine in purely singleplayer games that don't get content updates that add new endgames. In games with multiplayer or games with content patches they're a huge headache.

I still can't believe how overpowered the Vampire Knives are. Even without Turtle Armor I can fully tank every single boss in Hardmode (not counting the Pumpkin Moon) without even coming close to using a healing potion. I fully expected another nerf to them in this update.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

President Ark posted:

Basically having certain things at endgame be grossly overpowered and other things that aren't is only fine in purely singleplayer games that don't get content updates that add new endgames. In games with multiplayer or games with content patches they're a huge headache.

None of this has anything to do with the Rod of Discord or kiting Plantera to the surface.

If the Plantera fight is too easy in your opinion when you kite him to the surface... don't kite him to the surface.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kyrosiris posted:

None of this has anything to do with the Rod of Discord or kiting Plantera to the surface.

If the Plantera fight is too easy in your opinion when you kite him to the surface... don't kite him to the surface.
It's not just his opinion, though. It's the developers' opinion.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kyrosiris posted:

The former does apply - as it stands now there's no reason to not use the rod at all times. The latter I'll give you, because kiting Plantera to the surface has its own issues (how far away the bulb is for the surface, getting there without dying, etc.) and is a strategy for one boss.

Selane
May 19, 2006

I dunno, I'm rarely happy about nerfs but the Destroyer change doesn't bother me at all. I mean, come on, worm-type enemies have enough glaring weaknesses as it is, they don't also need to be vulnerable to getting Frostburn'd/Ichor'd to death in five seconds.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

RatHat posted:

You still can, piercing weapons wreck him.
I know that he's easy but there's something magical about lining up a golden shower along his entire aboveground length and making him explode before his face hits the ground again.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
What's the best setup to farm hardmode drops? I'm trying to get the rod of discord, and i set up an artificial underground hallow but i've only seen one chaos elemental spawn and he didn't drop it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Set up a mob grinder in an underground hollow or just search around I guess. I don't think there's an easy way to do it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay, this is getting annoying. I've been spending far too much in underground crimson/hollow/snow and I must have killed over 3000 mobs by now. Is there an efficient method for getting one of those molds because it's not fun or challenging any more.

Also: is there a trigger required before they start spawning? I've killed the twins, destroyer, prime, plantera and the golem. Do I need to go into the dungeon and kill some boss there first?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So what happens now if you lure Plantera out to the surface? What does him "enraging" actually mean?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

double nine posted:

Okay, this is getting annoying. I've been spending far too much in underground crimson/hollow/snow and I must have killed over 3000 mobs by now. Is there an efficient method for getting one of those molds because it's not fun or challenging any more.

Also: is there a trigger required before they start spawning? I've killed the twins, destroyer, prime, plantera and the golem. Do I need to go into the dungeon and kill some boss there first?

You can make a meteor biome in the biome who's mold you want and afk farm them. That should work, unless they patched it out.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

double nine posted:

They're 1/4000 drops, so other than "get lucky" or "build an artificial meteor biome with your preferred way of AFK-murdering Meteor Heads and not dying", there's really no advice to give.

Starhawk64 posted:

So what happens now if you lure Plantera out to the surface? What does him "enraging" actually mean?

Presumably, it goes nigh-invincible like Skeletron/Prime do after dawn. Sucks to be you if a Plantera bulb spawns on/near the surface!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The bulbs can spawn on the surface?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

Presumably, it goes nigh-invincible like Skeletron/Prime do after dawn. Sucks to be you if a Plantera bulb spawns on/near the surface!
He's asking about the reality of it though, since people are torn between this idea and the "instantly goes into second phase" idea I think he wants to know which it is actually, not presumably.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So is it possible to build a Halloween biome using Pumpkin or is it mainly just for decoration and making the pumpkin moon items?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's just for decoration. There is no Halloween Biome.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I hope you people like poorly stitched together jpegs cuz boy I got em.

I've had this game since it first came out on Steam and in all that time I never had the time or patience to play into hardmode until very recently. So I push through into hardmode and find I'm ill-prepared to deal with the blood moons and pirate invasions and it's the solar eclipse wiping out nearly everyone in my little town that forced me to buckle down and start plans for my sky castle.

Here's what remains of the town. It's been partially cannibalized for my sky castle, and I kind of like the idea of its ruins remaining as all that's left of what once was. I'm not a fan of the hyper efficient apartment blocks. I like to build a bit organically, so rooms are built on top or below or around and I want to make it so that as many people can wander around a shared space cuz I want that busy atmosphere.

Unfortunately that also made it easy for hardmode monsters to eat the townsfolk, and quite a few of them died several times over before I finally finished my project. As you can see the hallow and corruption are encroaching on both sides. That makes teleporting down there an adventure.

Unlike the town, the castle was going to be pre-planned. When I was just about done with all the rooms, I finally realized that instead of a sky castle, I should make a loving flying saucer.

If there are many more NPCs I'll probably have to think of something. Or just shove them into the side rooms. The worst part was keeping the curving arches symmetrical. I'm sure they still aren't, but close enough.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

If there are many more NPCs I'll probably have to think of something. Or just shove them into the side rooms. The worst part was keeping the curving arches symmetrical. I'm sure they still aren't, but close enough.

What's up with that water changing colour?

Edit: \/\/ Neat!

Ssthalar fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 31, 2013

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Ssthalar posted:

What's up with that water changing colour?

If you make a waterfall from water that's in a basin of rainbow bricks, the waterfall will change colors like the bricks.

It looks like future juice for my spaceship.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
If your golem altar spawns in the wall of your jungle temple and you cant reach it is your world just screwed?

Edit: Eg.

TheOriginalEd fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 31, 2013

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TheOriginalEd posted:

If your golem altar spawns in the wall of your jungle temple and you cant reach it is your world just screwed?

Edit: Eg.

Unfortunately, yes - the only means to move it is dropped by the Golem.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
In this case, I don't think anyone would call you a cheater for giving yourself a Picksaw so you could break it open, as long as you 'took it back' when you were done.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
That's what I figured. Thanks.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I finally got back into this after playing it over a year ago. I think I'm ready for hard mode, but the wall of flesh kicks the poo poo out of me. Do I really need to make a 400 mile strip of land to beat it? I read the bee gun tears it apart, but I spammed the bee gun and it did almost no damage and I ran out of mana. Is there a set bonus to use with the bee gun that makes it last longer/do more damage? Is there a better weapon choice? I've got basically every pre-hardmode weapon or the mats to make them (except the rare drop spells, I don't have any of those).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Make some Obsidian Skin or Water-walking potions(Or Water-walking boots/Lava waders) so you don't need to build a path. As for weapons, most ranged options work. Do you have enough money for the Minishark? If not, try the Space gun with full Meteor armor.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If the bee boss dropped any Bee Grenades, those are meant to be pretty good. I think last time I beat WoF pre-hardmode it was by using the Phoenix Blaster with meteorite bullets and the bone + cobweb set. Thorn Chakram might work if you have +melee damage. I'm not too familiar with early game magic, but if you can get a Natures Gift from the jungle and/or that regen ring + shackle item then you should be able to use something like water bolt or aqua scepter without mana problems. If all else fails you could try getting a Minishark and making it into a star cannon, but you'ld have to farm ammo for it. Don't forget to make some buff potions, whatever route you choose

In other news, the changelog has a few more tinker recipes on it now:

Sparkfrost Boots are now craftable at the Tinkerer’s Workshop
Jellyfish Diving Gear is now craftable at the Tinkerer’s Workshop
Arctic Diving Gear is now craftable at the Tinkerer’s Workshop
Fart in a Balloon is now craftable at the Tinkerer’s Workshop
Papyrus Scarab is now craftable at the Tinkerer’s Workshop
Celestial Stone is now craftable at the Tinkerer’s Workshop

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sweet, Papyrus Scarab is probably Hercules beetle + Necromantic scroll.
Sparkfrost boots = Lightning boots + Ice skates?
Jellyfish diving gear = Jellyfish necklace + Diving gear.
Arctic diving gear = Jellyfish necklace + Ice skates?
Fart in a balloon is obvious.
Celestial stone = Sun stone + Moon stone probably.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The whole patch notes thing was making me wonder if red would have the time to have the patch out before the Halloween event ended until I looked it up on the wiki. Event ends Nov. 10th and I don't know to be relieved that I have longer than today and tonight to get the cat pet and the Ninja Turtle costume, or to be horrified that I might spend the next eleven days trying to get those, the bat hook, and the last painting. I am lukewarm at best about the sort of random drop crap MMOs do that Red decided to use for getting most of the cool poo poo in 1.2, but the goodie bag thing is really starting to get on my nerves. This last week I've spent an hour each night in the dungeon (I think it has the highest spawn rate in the game) killing poo poo until I get sick of it for maybe a dozen or two bags, a third of which are dedicated to loving rotten eggs, two thirds being poo poo I already have and maybe one or two costumes or paintings I didn't already have. It feels like keeping all the cool poo poo in the Halloween patch either behind two layers of RNG or behind a whole combat thing that you need to change up your equipment entirely in order to solo productively is the worst possible way to get people to experience it.

Maybe I've just been playing too much.

Akett fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 31, 2013

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Akett posted:

The whole patch notes thing was making me wonder if red would have the time to have the patch out before the Halloween event ended until I looked it up on the wiki. Event ends Nov. 10th and I don't know to be relieved that I have longer than today and tonight to get the cat pet and the Ninja Turtle costume, or to be horrified that I might spend the next eleven days trying to get those, the bat hook, and the last painting. I am lukewarm at best about the sort of random drop crap MMOs do that Red decided to use for getting most of the cool poo poo in 1.2, but the goodie bag thing is really starting to get on my nerves. This last week I've spent an hour each night in the dungeon (I think it has the highest spawn rate in the game) killing poo poo until I get sick of it for maybe a dozen or two bags, a third of which are dedicated to loving rotten eggs, two thirds being poo poo I already have and maybe one or two costumes or paintings I didn't already have. It feels like keeping all the cool poo poo in the Halloween patch either behind two layers of RNG or behind a whole combat thing that you need to change up your equipment entirely in order to solo productively is the worst possible way to get people to experience it.

If you're burning out on the tedium, feel free to just dupe the goodie bags. Duping anything is easy as poo poo and doesn't even require a save editor, as long as you have a multiplayer server at your disposal.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Akett posted:

Even after the event is over you can just change your clock to Oct to get the goodie bags to drop again.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I guess with Plantera you could just dig out a big cavern round the bulb. You don't need that big a space to avoid it. Although I guess it's supposed to be more manoeuvrable underground?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So what exactly happens if you get Plantera to the surface now? Because I had a couple bulbs spawn close to surface and I'm going to be very pissed if this means I can't take advantage.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
We don't know, the patch isn't out yet.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
God forbid I'm stuck doing what I've been doing and facetanking Plantera in a confined space while spamming bats. :black101:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So the patch is out and yes, Plantera basically goes into a post-dawn Skeletron/Prime frenzy if removed from the Underground Jungle in the slightest, and the Rod of Discord does 100 loving damage if you use it within the 10s CD. :laffo:

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
I really don't get why he nerfed the rod at all.
Can it be used in PvP or something?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Kyrosiris posted:

and the Rod of Discord does 100 loving damage if you use it within the 10s CD. :laffo:

:negative:

RIP Teleport spam.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

OTOH some other changes made it in that weren't in the list last night

quote:

Tabi and Master Ninja gear now bring the player to full speed instead of stopping
Hoverboard is now craftable from Shroomite

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrosiris posted:

So the patch is out and yes, Plantera basically goes into a post-dawn Skeletron/Prime frenzy if removed from the Underground Jungle in the slightest, and the Rod of Discord does 100 loving damage if you use it within the 10s CD. :laffo:

I really, really do not regret flagging it as dead and giving myself its loot in TEdit now.

Of course, some people are just going to take this as a challenge. How soon do you think we'll see the first Frenzied Plantera kill go up?

• Locked thread